Ubisoft Online DRM: It's Worse Than Expected

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
I give it less than 9 days for a host file crack, with my stupidly low knowledge of cracking all you have to do is add ubisoft to your host list? or a crack to intercept?

Nice one ubisoft, screw over the people who want to BUY your games, and leave pirates with a better version.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Well, another game I'm wont be buying. First I gave up on Bioshock 2 and now AC2. And it seems Splinter Cell: Conviction as well if it's still a Ubisoft game. And why is everyone ignoring the piracy on Xbox 360? More games are being pirated for Xbox 360 then for PC because PC doesn't get much games anyway. I hople pirates do their thing. They deserve it. Treating us with such disrespect like we're all pirates is not gonna win you points Ubisoft.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
DarkSaber said:
I give it a week tops before there is a work-around crack courtesy of those magnificent pirates.
Hopefully that will happen. This won't really affect me, as I am a console gamer(I do want to be a console & PC gamer, though...Will get a laptop for gaming once I get a job & a driver's license) but I really am in favor of hackers right now on this subject.

dj Facchiano

Feb 3, 2010
I hope they do realize that a week after they release the game the pirates will find a way around this block resulting in more people pirating it so they can play offline.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
phoenix352 said:
the funny part here is that pirated version of the game is going to be DRM free and wouldnt need an internet connection... what their doing is knowingly sabotaging the sales more and more and more....
So true. they'll turn around and go "poor sales were probably due to piracy - obviously we need to clamp down EVEN MORE!", and we'll be sat there either completely ignoring them, bemoaning their abject failure to do market research, or laughing it up an a shared version someone kindly removed the copy protect from. I know which boat I'd rather be on, and it's not one that Ubi woul like me to - then again, I doubt they like the idea of PC gamers being involved in any way anyway.

oppp7 said:
Well, I guess I could blame Ubisoft, but it's their product that's stolen. I hate pirates.
Wow, way to mis-lay the blame. How many games have you pirated? Hmm? Now, how many producers are assuming that you did? If the latter exceeds the former, you should be feeling at least a little indignant.

Now, does a company treating you like a criminal make you feel happy about yourself? Do you like LITERALLY renting a game off a company for retail price? Would you happily vote to curtail your rights, so long as someone was telling you that it was to stop bad people? If you answered 'yes' to any of those, I officially have no respect for your opinion as a free-thinking human. Though I'm not going to take your rights away because of it. Unlike some organisations might...

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
A simple solution to all this will be to purchase the game, then download the link to the crack from your favorite torrent site. That'd make it legit, no matter what Boobiesoft says in their EULA. Then, when you install patches or whatnot, just replace the original executable from the disc, install, get the new crack, which would most likely come out on the same day, and voila. Lather, rinse, repeat, and so on.

_Serendipity_

Jun 15, 2008
What.

The.

HELL.

My oh my oh my...

This is truly appalling, and no way will PC gamers stand for it. Right? ...right..?

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
And what about in 5 years when they pull the server down and all your save games are gone and wow you can't play anymore because you can't freaking save.

I still play games from the early 90s sometimes, I'm okay with activation servers and so on, but mandatory online saves? get bent.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
this whole pc shutdown seems like an awfully convenient exit point with these major publisher/devs they claim piracy is the blame for the shitty game sales and then intentionally sand bag the game with DRM that hurts costumers so they can say they left the pc platform for a reason >.> .

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Well I can't really add to the discussion properly without spewing more vitriol like a rabid dog, so I'll just say this: Fuck ubisoft. Fuck them in the ear.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
_Serendipity_ said:
What.

The.

HELL.

My oh my oh my...

This is truly appalling, and no way will PC gamers stand for it. Right? ...right..?
no were all sitting on chairs....

and you know what will happen PC gamers gona cry about it then when the game comes out 80% of the the people gona pirate it to "stick it to the man" at which point NoobySoft will say they are leaving the pc platform because of the omgosh bad pirates who stole all their virtual non existent money

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Wicky_42 said:
phoenix352 said:
the funny part here is that pirated version of the game is going to be DRM free and wouldnt need an internet connection... what their doing is knowingly sabotaging the sales more and more and more....
So true. they'll turn around and go "poor sales were probably due to piracy - obviously we need to clamp down EVEN MORE!", and we'll be sat there either completely ignoring them, bemoaning their abject failure to do market research, or laughing it up an a shared version someone kindly removed the copy protect from. I know which boat I'd rather be on, and it's not one that Ubi woul like me to - then again, I doubt they like the idea of PC gamers being involved in any way anyway.

oppp7 said:
Well, I guess I could blame Ubisoft, but it's their product that's stolen. I hate pirates.
Wow, way to mis-lay the blame. How many games have you pirated? Hmm? Now, how many producers are assuming that you did? If the latter exceeds the former, you should be feeling at least a little indignant.

Now, does a company treating you like a criminal make you feel happy about yourself? Do you like LITERALLY renting a game off a company for retail price? Would you happily vote to curtail your rights, so long as someone was telling you that it was to stop bad people? If you answered 'yes' to any of those, I officially have no respect for your opinion as a free-thinking human. Though I'm not going to take your rights away because of it. Unlike some organisations might...
I buy consoles versions. But it's their product and they can decide what to do with it. Yes, I'm partially the victim I suppose, but they wouldn't be doing this if the pirates hadn't stolen it. Therefore, I blame the pirates.

Feb 18, 2009
I loved the first AC, was going to pick up the second, but what is this shit? My internet connection is lousy, I had enough trouble getting Company of Heroes' godawful Relic online system to work, and now I have to be connected to the internet to play a single player game? Fuck that.

EDIT: Steam may not require the constant connection but its really trading one horrific set of DRM for another less instrusive one - at least Steam has an offline mode

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
If they're going to do this they need to do it for 360/PS3 as well. Those systems see equal piracy numbers as the PC so there's no reason to single out PC users for this kind of punishment.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
How much money do developers lose on the PC market anyways? I'd have to think a great majority of the money is made from consoles. And to do something like this is just batshit insane. I hate to say it because if I had a decent video card I know I'd be gaming on my PC, but it's the DRM that really keeps me away.