Ubisoft Says Always-On DRM, "A Success"

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Completely out of touch. Not just two sandviches short of a picnic, but the basket, tea-cloth and even the refreshments.

They're actively praising their most hated point. Even Kotick doesn't do that.
This^. Excellently summarized. Considering that hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake, you think they could at least take the time to google search gaming forums to see the effect their DRM has on the customer.

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
I don't know about anyone else but I bought a game with that always online DRM without knowing it had it, and the first thing I did when I found out is download a crack to get rid of it. If I buy a single player game I don't expect to have to stop playing if my internet gets a bit flakey.

And of course

fragmaster09

Nov 15, 2010
Low Key said:
Here's the deal Ubi, you are driving people away from your games.

The result is the same if someone pirates your game or if they don't pirate your game. You get $0 unless that person actually buys it. So while your games might see less piracy, you're not seeing greater sales.

So just because pirates don't feel it's worth their bandwidth to download your games, don't go thinking your DRM is a success.
i agree... go with Team Meat's approach, hope that the pirates will feel ashamed and buy the game... the legit customers are happy, the pirates are happy, and Ubi is liked by all of us Civic-lifting Owls... wait...

but Ubi was fine with my uncles copy of settlers 4... which he played and i played for 2 years after that, until the disk broke... so where's the difference? there is none, it's better graphics and 2 new ways of winning.... and less types of people... so there's no NEED for it, it costs £5... if 10 people bought AssCreed:Bro then they would get between £350 and £400... if 10 people bought Settlers 7... £50? so the 1/10 who pirate it, with the AssCreeds... they lose a fair cop, but with Settlers? the pirates would find it EASIER to buy it anyway... and if people are that poor/tight that they won't pay a fiver then they would end up putting in more than £5's worth of time getting it...and then they'd have to pay for the validation code...

Dan DePuy

Jun 15, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
You know what I want to see? an actual discussion of what this DRM means. I've seen lots of people who instantly sputter a gut reaction and condemn it immediately but that's incredibly short sighted. There are lots of issues to discuss here, not the lest of which is why people hate it so much (and don't give me that crap about you just hate DRM or your internet connection sucks there is more to it and you know it). I want to know why people keep blasting DRM and why stories keep getting put it. Its not about simply hating the thing, this is on the level of a zealot crusade and I want to know why. As far as I'm concerned though, it's never going to happen because people are just too angry to talk all they can do is yell. Ah well, maybe DRM should treat use like means spirited children, we sure act like it.
Where have you been for the last FOREVER? Digital Rights Management is not, in itself a bad thing. It's the measure that all publishers take to prevent their property from being stolen. The trouble with this sort of DRM - the kind that requires your internet connection to be live at all times - is punitive to those of us who paid legitimately for the game. That is to say, even if you paid for the game like a good consumer, you can still be locked out of playing it if your internet connection is down or if the authentication servers are having issues. This may not seem like a big problem to some, but the principle of the matter is that a consumer who pays for a product should be able to use that product whenever he or she wants to. It's bought and paid for. I don't call up Samsung and ask them permission to turn on my television every day, so why should I have to connect to an authentication server to get permission to play MY game that I paid for?

The more long-sighted issue is this: eventually those authentication servers will be taken offline. At this time, the games we have paid for will NEVER BE PLAYABLE AGAIN. For a prime example of this sort of failed DRM failing hard, look at The Witcher. The authentication servers have gone offline and if you bought The Witcher on disc you CAN NOT install it on any PC ever again unless you re-buy it through steam. So the publisher basically told everyone who owns the game on disc to pay them a second time for the product they paid for or piss off. Now, when these live DRM servers go offline the result will be worse because the game will never be playable again.

I should never have to see a message telling me that a game I own is "unavailable." It's on my fucking hard drive. It's available.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
You know what the most ironic thing is? Far Cry 3 E3 trailer. You know, when that guy explains the definition of insanity as 'doing the same thing over and over and over again, expecting different results'. That's exactly what Ubisoft is doing with always-on DRM. I guess they're just insane.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Twilight_guy said:
You know what I want to see? an actual discussion of what this DRM means. I've seen lots of people who instantly sputter a gut reaction and condemn it immediately but that's incredibly short sighted. There are lots of issues to discuss here, not the lest of which is why people hate it so much (and don't give me that crap about you just hate DRM or your internet connection sucks there is more to it and you know it). I want to know why people keep blasting DRM and why stories keep getting put it. Its not about simply hating the thing, this is on the level of a zealot crusade and I want to know why. As far as I'm concerned though, it's never going to happen because people are just too angry to talk all they can do is yell. Ah well, maybe DRM should treat use like means spirited children, we sure act like it.
No, there is no more to it. I don't have Internet in my apartment (too expansive), I play video games that I buy in a store offline and play them offline. The Internet in Canada also has no Unlimited options (though some small companies do, their Internet is EXTREMELY unreliable), meaning that I would be LOSING Internet to play a video game that I don't want to play online.
That's it, there is no more to it.
And now you can see why I have a problem with DRM that makes you connect to the Internet even once.

fragmaster09

Nov 15, 2010
I don't call up Samsung and ask them permission to turn on my television every day, so why should I have to connect to an authentication server to get permission to play MY game that I paid for?
and i don't have to call samsung to ask permission to use my phone to ask permission to call panasonic to use my tv, i spent my money on that game, and what the live DRM does is make people wat to pirate it MORE, to get around the authentication

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
What you think they would admit that it was a miserable failure and that they wasted a crap ton of investor money on a scheme that killed their sales numbers on the PC?

Of course its a success and I'm the King of England!

p.s. haven't bought a single ubisoft game that has come after this retarded DRM scheme. (no didn't pirate any of it either, I just stop giving a damn about Ubisoft games.)

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
lithium.jelly said:
jpoon said:
What a spectacular load of bullshit! Time to [do stupid stuff]
[image width=400]http://picardfacepalm.com/picard-facepalm.jpg[/IMG]
Dude, how many people just on this thread have already been warned for saying something like that? And you're on your second last suspension before permaban. You might wanna go back and edit your post.
I'm on suspension, since when? It was a hypothetical captain picard, chill out brosif.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
People pirating your game means that they at least want to play it. It's not the best or legal way, but that's what it boils down to. Its been said already, but pirates WILL find a way around DRM, no matter how extensive it is. Why did they not include sales figures with this announcement? Why did they not add this draconian program to AC:B? A sharp dropdown in pirating numbers means a dropdown in people who are playing the game, legal or otherwise. And that is not good news for a dev.

Take an example from Team Meat, Ubisoft. Pirates, like the poor, will always be with us.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Okay, I just can't contain it, I'm going to fulfil Godwins Law.

Are you going to call Hitler's concentration camps a success because for a time they saw a clear reduction in unwanted ethnic and cultural groups? No. Something that is bad is never a success, ever. Not for the people that matter anyway (for the record, that's us gamers here).

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Chances are, the pirates cracked the drm and released the game to the public the day it came out. That is of course, they didn't get a copy before release which seems to be the trend now.

Only the legit customers are getting hurt.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I'm not massively against DRM, but shouldn't a measure of it's success incorportae the number of copies bought vs. pirated, rather than just the number pirated?

SSX-BlueFlames

Apr 12, 2011
When it comes to Ubisoft's DRM policies, I've been voting with my wallet for years. The presence of StarForce on all physical copies of Silent Hunter III has caused me to investigate the DRM scheme used in each of their titles that I've been interested in since. Silent Hunter IV is the only Ubisoft game that I've bought since, and I only bought that after SecuROM and FADE were patched out of the software.

I'm a huge subsim dork and a fan of the sneaky-sneaky-kill-kill subgenre, and there are very few titles filling these niches. In fact, Silent Hunter is about the only subsim series still active to this day, and aside from Assassin's Creed, the only actively developed stealth-assassination series I can come up with is Hitman. Outside of what Ubisoft is offering, there's not a lot of choice, but I'd rather do without than put up with their awful DRM.

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
It is fun to see that no matter how much money you make, you can still be really stupid :D.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
I do NOT like the bleeping DRM that they use I've been kicked out of my games on a fully stable link.. several times but the one that made me seriously mad and bashed my keyboard (it did surprisingly hold exept a few cracks..), was the time in Assassins Creed II I'd been grinding side missions for over 2h (yea stupid not saving and all that..) and boom "connection failure" and everything I've played lost... Soo not a big fan on those DRM's and Ubisoft is one of the worst and the one I hate the most...

Now days I mostly use a crack (on games I've bought*) just so I won't be bothered with getting the disk or having to go through some other annoying DRM scheme part...

And just to be safe NO I DO NOT PIRATE GAMES! thats just stupid, I do some times (mostly ;-)) WAIT until the game are on a sale or the like, but don't pirate out of support to the game studios. I want more quality games and then money is important for the studios (yes sometimes good games comes from new unpaid places like Minecraft..)

*yes you read that right bought games and applying cracks on them, prefer Steam (or the like) but some times I get a game on CD/DVD and they stand so pretty in the shelf...

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
I think Ubisoft is on the right to do this "shait" DRM squeme. Come on it's their product, sooo it's their choice, am I right?! Since I'm the customer, I will choose not to buy any title with such DRM (I only bought SC Conviction). Also this uses upload bandwith, making online matches worse.

PS: does anybody here play SC Conviction? Did it work on pc, cause it was a horrible exp for me.