Unskippable: Star Wars The Old Republic

Lord of Torment

Oct 8, 2008
Actually the Rule of 2 came from Darth Revan Darth Bane just reused it for his era, so the Rule of 2 originates before this game
"The holocron belonged to the ancient Sith Lord Darth Revan, who was the first to realize the flawed logic of training more than one apprentice. Through the gatekeeper of his holocron, Revan taught Bane how any master that trained multiple apprentices was a fool. Bane learned from Revan's holocron that, in times past, the students would seek to destroy their master and claim the title. By joining forces and combining their lesser powers, they would attack and defeat their master."

Revan did not start or put into practice the rule of two, he was smart enough to see the flaw in the system yes, but he only did it to train one apprentice at a time, to prevent them from teaming up. It was Darth Bane who broke the Sith and remade it into the ones who follow the rule of two.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Baresark said:
Off topic: I hate how these movies have become one giant cliche. Flippy spinny lightsaber battle. I'm relatively sure that same trooper without the helmet was in the second old republic trailer we saw, with the same gatling laser type gun. And, why are all the Jedi only one single character?
I think the Trailers are working in reverse so in chronological order this is the first, also the female jedi is in the second trailer and so is the sith, no space Marston though.

Anyway I really loved this episode, well done guys!

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Heh, nice one guys, as usual.

Best moments: "The Great Darkness", the discussion of space cowboys (kinda reminds me of Firefly...), 3 small lightsabers ala Wolverine (am I the only one who thinks that sounds pretty cool?), and "Get off my space lawn, you rebels!"

Also, if this is a MMO game, why does it need the cinematic? Then again, I never did care about MMOs to begin with...

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
To be fair, I actually can see the use for a duster in a climate controlled environment.
He flies that massive friggin' ship. By himself. This means lots of computers, and lots of computers means he has to keep the air really really cold. Hence, the duster, because it's cold up in here.

The hat was just for awesome - and he just got off Korriban.
I'm pretty sure it's fairly desert-like on Korriban.

PanicxBoss

Nov 19, 2009
This was ridiculously funny!
Best one I've seen in awhile, and the recent ones have been good too...

"Master, they've escaped."
"Yes, I know. I was here, remember?"

Cracked me up!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
MelasZepheos said:
I'm not going to play it, I'm not going to follow any storylines from it, and generally I'm bored with Star Wars ever since Legacy of the Force held the likable characters down and forcefed them George Lucas home brand stupid pie, but this still looks pretty cool.

Then again, it's Star Wars, all of the lightsaber fights look cool, the gamble is whether the story around them will be any good, and Han Solo, Cowboy edition just isn't doing it for me. However, the concept of having a Republic Trooper, a Smuggler, and a Jedi Apprentice who just lost her master all on one ship is one of the better beginnings for a SW story I've seen in a while.

Of course, that it basically is Star Wars Episode IV probably takes some of that cool away. When the trooper and Jedi went for the gun turret I just had to shake my head at how badly they were ripping off the original.
Legacy of the Force was the result of Troy Denning being an egomanical jackass, Sue Rostoni dropping the ball big time on editing, and Karen Traviss shoehorning Mandalorians in everywhere. Only Aaron Alliston was able to make a decent story, and he was stuck cleaning up while the other two bitched at each other over whether Mandos or Jedi were better.

OT. Funny episode. This trailer was probably the weakest of the three by Blur, and that's disappointing. They keep showing off all the eye candy, while the gameplay trailers look the same as they did two years ago.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care. I'm still free. You can't take MY SPICE from me!"
-Republic Gunslinger

I'm still playing that class when TOR comes out.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
tehweave said:
Has ANYTHING good come out of Star Wars since the original trilogy?
This franchise needs a stylistic reboot so badly it's not even funny. GET ME 50cc of CHRIS NOLAN STAT.

Every single thing I've seen about TOR since they've started releasing videos has just had me going "meh". I didn't think it was possible for things to get MORE mediocre (I mean, shouldn't more and less move you up and down on the scale?), but apparently you can produce entire avalanches of the stuff if you try hard enough.

Hearing about the "operations", giant raids where you have multiple groups doing different things, almost made me choke. DDO (my MMO) has 12-man raids where people have to split up and do radically different things at the same time, and they are a TRAIN WRECK. (One of them, Accursed Ascension, has something like a 90% failure rate. Most of the time you expect to do that raid 3-4 times with a really good group before you manage to complete it.) Someone invariably screws up and you have a big ol' raid fail and have to start all over again. Some of these raids take an hour or more to complete. Now expand this to tons more people. Yeah. Unless they made it so that it's easy enough to go back and fix other people's screwups, doing one of those operations is going to be hell.

I still want to have a look at it just to see how they implemented some stuff, but I doubt it'll pull me away from my current MMO.

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
Unskippable: Unskippable? What, did someone riff this week's Unskippable? Did Paul and Graham riff this week's Unskippable (cuz it's still Unskippable)?

Unskippable

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
There is no emotion, there is under-reaction.
There is no ignorance, there is stupidity.
There is no passion, there is mildly irked.
There is no death, there is- ...oh.

In all seriousness, I like the trailer and your riff. Good job.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Kinguendo said:
tehweave said:
Dear god... That intro was EXACTLY that one scene from Episode 4.

Has ANYTHING good come out of Star Wars since the original trilogy?
HEATHEN!

KOTOR is the greatest Star Wars story ever told! The original trilogy is good and all that but the story of Revan is better in every way!
Good! Okay then, KOTOR! So far, the list includes:

A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Knights of the Old Republic

Now, are there any other good Star Wars anythings? Stories, movies, games? Because there are tons of each, but are there any good ones beyond the list above?

Fumofu

Nov 11, 2010
One of the best Unskippables to date. I also thought I'd let you know that I thoroughly enjoyed this week's Checkpoint as well.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I watched all 3 of the Star Wars movies, and nobody used more than one lightsaber.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I don't care if there is controlled environments; I don't care if it is in space. That hat is pure awesome. Besides it might be a culture thing on the planet he is from.
Seriously, if dressing for controlled environments was that much an issue, everyone may as well be naked.
And get over comparing it to the movies. I think the movies counting the prequels covered every cliche and meme you can think of where you will find something like it in every cinematic in the game. Next you will be whining BioWare ripped off the novels next.
Keith K said:
Why must every single Star Wars game reuse the same John Williams scores from the movies? There's a million Star Wars games already and only 8 hours of music between them.
X-Wing Alliance actually used original score, which was reminiscent of William's music but was damn good in its own right.
So, no, not every single Star Wars game reuses the same canned music. The Old Republic game may not even recycle Williams' score. This was just a cinematic released long before the game even goes gold.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
CaioBrisolla said:
So how come they allowed the smuggler to carry his guns even though he was a prisoner?
Who said he was a prisoner? They were probably throwing around the fact that he did have contraband in order to get a favor out of him. Deception is a tool of the Jedi and smugglers are quite sensitive about being caught with cargo they shouldn't normally be carrying.

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
TheAmazingHobo said:
You know what ?
You are right, that is a pretty interesting start for a story.
I think I should play that game.
And by "that game" I am of course referring to the Star-Wars PnP-RPG we got going every saturday WHICH STARTED THE EXACT SAME WAY.
Seriously, when your creative efforts produce the same results as those of a bunch of drunk CS students, you might want to take a hard look at yourself.
Some people produce their best work when they're on drugs or alcohol. Did you not like your campaign? I've personally always been proud of the PnP RPG campaigns I've been a part of.

You and I look at it in different ways. I would tend to say "They are good" rather than "I suck" if someone had the same story idea I did.