Unskippable: Star Wars The Old Republic

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
anian said:
...dissing SW about a space cowboy, when the Jedi is more than a copy of a samurai...we've passed the whole "this is a space version of something" way long ago. :)
True. The point I was making is that despite the Jedi being samurai, none of them actually dressed exactly like an actual from-Earth samurai. That was guy was just straight up, a cowboy.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Graham_LRR said:
anian said:
...dissing SW about a space cowboy, when the Jedi is more than a copy of a samurai...we've passed the whole "this is a space version of something" way long ago. :)
True. The point I was making is that despite the Jedi being samurai, none of them actually dressed exactly like an actual from-Earth samurai. That was guy was just straight up, a cowboy.
Don't you just love literal interpretations of throw away lines just meant to be funny.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
What? Not a single mention of the fact that destroying a door control panel will completely lock down the door, making it utterly impassable from both sides?

It's always annoyed me, at least.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
Oh man, this one was awesome. It had me crying with laughter. At work. Great job, guys.

"The hat just seems like a liability."
"Get off my space lawn, you rebels!"

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Baldry said:
Baresark said:
Off topic: I hate how these movies have become one giant cliche. Flippy spinny lightsaber battle. I'm relatively sure that same trooper without the helmet was in the second old republic trailer we saw, with the same gatling laser type gun. And, why are all the Jedi only one single character?
I think the Trailers are working in reverse so in chronological order this is the first, also the female jedi is in the second trailer and so is the sith, no space Marston though.

Anyway I really loved this episode, well done guys!
I see, I haven't watched in a while. So they have been spoon feeding us ingame cinematics in reverse, that makes sense.

I still find the lightsaber battles annoying.

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
So I think the video was pretty funny. I was a bit worried at first that it would just come off as antagonistic and spiteful, but the fun seems to be poked amicably enough. The thread is another matter.

Why do people have such vitriol for this game? Bioware is trying some genuinely new stuff in trying to bring story to the forefront in an MMO. It may end up being a failed experiment, but I, for one, am glad that there's someone giving it a try. I also like the direction they're taking Star Wars. The prequel trilogy and The Force Unleashed make jedi and sith the only interesting or worthwhile characters. Bioware's take on Star Wars has been that jedi and sith are important, but that there's more to the universe than lightsabers and force powers. Sure, it was a big part of this video, but at least they're letting the other characters be cool too.

The game may not live up to expectations, but if it doesn't, isn't that a disappointment? Why does everyone seem to be taking such pleasure in deriding the game before they've even had a chance to sit down with it?

I shall remain cautiously optimistic, and I hope this game doesn't fail simply because people refuse to give it a chance. Seriously, before anyone writes me off as a fanboy, let me say that I am a fan, and I really just don't see what's wrong with that. I mean, it's a game. It's supposed to be fun. Maybe it'll suck, but why on earth would you *want* it to? It seems a lot of people would take some perverse pleasure if this game were awful and it crashed and burned.

Zathras

Nov 28, 2004
Mikodite said:
OK, so the storyline is about these people, a Jedi, a trooper, and a smuggler, who...

DO YOU CARE? ITS AN MMO! WHO BOTHERS WITH THE 'PLOTLINE' IN AN MMO?
BioWare, that's who.

Zathras

Nov 28, 2004
Jman1236 said:
Okay this is just making me want to play this right now even more! WHEN WILL FILEPLANET GET BETA KEYS DANG IT!
Or you could go to the SWTOR website and sign up for the Beta that's going on right now.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Labcoat Samurai said:
So I think the video was pretty funny. I was a bit worried at first that it would just come off as antagonistic and spiteful, but the fun seems to be poked amicably enough. The thread is another matter.

Why do people have such vitriol for this game? Bioware is trying some genuinely new stuff in trying to bring story to the forefront in an MMO. It may end up being a failed experiment, but I, for one, am glad that there's someone giving it a try. I also like the direction they're taking Star Wars. The prequel trilogy and The Force Unleashed make jedi and sith the only interesting or worthwhile characters. Bioware's take on Star Wars has been that jedi and sith are important, but that there's more to the universe than lightsabers and force powers. Sure, it was a big part of this video, but at least they're letting the other characters be cool too.

The game may not live up to expectations, but if it doesn't, isn't that a disappointment? Why does everyone seem to be taking such pleasure in deriding the game before they've even had a chance to sit down with it?

I shall remain cautiously optimistic, and I hope this game doesn't fail simply because people refuse to give it a chance. Seriously, before anyone writes me off as a fanboy, let me say that I am a fan, and I really just don't see what's wrong with that. I mean, it's a game. It's supposed to be fun. Maybe it'll suck, but why on earth would you *want* it to? It seems a lot of people would take some perverse pleasure if this game were awful and it crashed and burned.
It could be because Star Wars as a franchise is becoming laughable. I know when I hear "New Star Wars!" I think not again.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I was never that great on Star Wars canon, but a few things...
The Jedi did have lightning, and the sith had black light sabres, and then changed it to red. Not sure how far back this was though.
Also, how come the empire ships look exactly like they do later on? And I thought the Jedi only got clones after the second movie?
WTF is up with the continuity of this game???
Oh, and good episode! I just figured I should ask given that someone around here have to know.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Keith K said:
Why must every single Star Wars game reuse the same John Williams scores from the movies? There's a million Star Wars games already and only 8 hours of music between them.
I'm pretty sure its something in a contractual agreement that any time Lucas uses Johns music, it has to be the same, because he was just that damn good. XD

OT: I suppose the Republic is Union, since it hates those Rebs. Still, I never got why yo ucouldnt wield red as a jedi (dont dare quote me star wars fan boys, There's no reason in any of that history someone couldnt have said screw it, I'll use red and prove I'm not evil. espeically since Adi Gallia used on in SW Ep 1: Jedi Power Battles and much of her Jedi history), and sith couldnt use other colours. I mean, a Sith lord wielding a Yellow Lightsaber would be awesome.

Ragnos13

Apr 16, 2009
Labcoat Samurai said:

I'm glad that there are people like you and Vrach posting in these threads. I don't understand all the hate for TOR on these forums either. Rather than just enjoying what Bioware has spent years of effort to bring to us, they just tend to react as though it's being forced down their throats. People complain about the music, which, as has been mentioned several times in this thread, is including 5+ hours of completely original music, which you would know if you went up to the site and watched some of the videos up there. People complain about the gameplay, which they've not experienced for themselves and yet consider themselves experts on. People complain about the story, which Bioware has been working on with a team of 12 dedicated writers for over 5 years now, and they've said it has more story written for it than all of their other games combined.

Criticism I could understand, but just trashing the game and saying it'll fail doesn't add anything to any discussion. It's not constructive, nor does it accomplish anything other than making yourself look like a petulant child. If you don't like it, that's fine, but you don't need to vocalize your opinion if it has no purpose.

Also, a dark jedi has used a yellow lightsaber before, in Dark Forces II, and ancient sith lords utilized sith alchemy to create swords that could compete with lightsabers, such as Naga Sadow's Poison Blade. If you have any questions about the Star Wars universe, I heartily recommend Wookieepedia as a resource.

Burck

Aug 9, 2009
hawk533 said:
While that cinematic may have been terribly cliche and completely wasted on an MMO, that was still pretty awesome. Three lightsabers for the ridiculous win, followed shortly after by a loss because you can't beat a Sith trainee. Everyone knows the master is the weak one.
Exactly how I felt when I saw it at first.

I kept bouncing back between feeling that the trailer was cheesy/cliche and that it was awesome.
On the subject of triple light sabers, I think it would actually be more impressive for a Jedi/Sith to hold off larger numbers of Sith/Jedi with only a single blade.

And in regards to the apprentice being more successful, yeah, it would've made more sense (to a general audience) if the Sith Master at least wounded the Jedi so that he would be easier to finish.

My nerdy explanation (for less general audiences) would be that the apprentice was probably just as powerful if not more so than his master by the time of that battle. He probably had been waiting for the right moment to overtake his master, Sith being treacherous and all that.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
To answer the question of Hat and duster, Korriban is a desert planet, and he was smuggling stuff off of it. Thus he required the hat and duster.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
Graham_LRR said:
Well a cowboy getup is actually sort of useful on a planet such as Korriban while for example a samurai armour isn't really useful for anything in a SW universe except maybe against Ewoks and...
Damn it, I don't know how to continue with the discussion without sounding like I was actually offended or something, when quite the opposite, I'm always looking forward to a new Unskip and really got a got a good laugh out of this episode and kind of agree with you anyway.

bdcjacko said:
Don't you just love literal interpretations of throw away lines just meant to be funny.
I know it was a just a line, intonation of a message is always difficult on a forum. I put a freakin' ":)" at the end and all...meh, nevermind, it was good episode.

Mikodite

Dec 8, 2010
drosalion said:
Mikodite said:
OK, so the storyline is about these people, a Jedi, a trooper, and a smuggler, who...

DO YOU CARE? ITS AN MMO! WHO BOTHERS WITH THE 'PLOTLINE' IN AN MMO?
Thats kinda the whole point of this game.. bioware want to change the way people think about MMOs by bringing story to it.

Why shouldnt you be able to care about those things purely caus of the genre of the game?
Have you noticed that every MMORPG has some backstory or plot running in the background? It's sad, really, someone had to write all that only for the average player to ignore it, as knowledge of the backstory has no effect on the game whatsoever.

Unless the 'plotline' isn't simply flavour text to go with your fetch quest, Bioware is wasting their time.

gCrusher

Mar 17, 2011
Radoh said:
To answer the question of Hat and duster, Korriban is a desert planet, and he was smuggling stuff off of it. Thus he required the hat and duster.
That, and they're cool, even when not officially needed for the current area. Not-han-solo's gotta look stylin.

Sledgimus

Aug 15, 2008
Labcoat Samurai said:
Why do people have such vitriol for this game?
Because I could not care less if I tried about MMOs. I would have crawled over broken glass into a burning shop to buy a new console if there was a KOTOR 3 on it. Apparently, there'll be a book coming out to finish off Revan's story, so I guess that's some sort of consolation.

For people who have no interest in videogames.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Graham_LRR said:
anian said:
I wonder if anyone calls him Maurice.

Cookie for reference deal.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Forgive me for getting technical, but wouldn't a "No-blade lightsaber" just be a fancy looking stick?
That aside, I loved the video, I wish I had the money to afford a monthly subscription to an MMO.