Update: Fez Dev Tells Media Member To Kill Himself

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Beer is definitely an arrogant, hack asshole, but Fish has no right to claim the moral high ground. If Fish is going to throw a tantrum then go ahead. If he can't cut it in the industry knowing the amount of scrutiny you'll get in the professional world (especially in a creative industry) then it's probably best for your mental health to leave. For Beer, he COULD try to curb the stereotype of the arrogant pseudo-intellectual journalist, but instead just gobbles it up like the prick he is. This kind of behavior on both sides disgusts me and really shows some ugly sides of the industry that need to be fixed.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
It should create value of life, yes. Loss of human life is always a loss. No exception. Especially when it's a preventable loss like from suicide. Hell, especially from suicide.

I was suicidal once. I still am, even. And you know, I may not offer anything to humanity as a whole but my life still means things to people. And my death would still have been a loss. Even if it's not by my taking of life explicitly, the people that have to find my body, the people who drive the bus I step in front of... people lose out, even if its not just because I'm gone.
The key word you said is "should". In it's self it's worthless. No one is going to congratulate you by proclaiming "well, Andy lives". What people are likely going to do is congratulate you for physical, mental and social products. However, even then this does not create value for everyone. If I got hit by a car tomorrow, you wouldn't care nor would find my death a loss (at least beyond the "well, every life is worth something" mantra). I haven't accomplished anything that could be described a product that has value to you.

Your optimism is useful if suffering from depression, but the reality of it is this: Human beings are selfish jerks that wouldn't like you unconditionally. It more plays out like the infamous Glengarry Glen Ross speech.
Your life means what it can provide to others. Products of value. As cold as it sounds me stating it: You haven't provided a product to me that I can say has value. You have to others, but for me there's nothing. You could kill yourself tomorrow and I wouldn't skip much of a heart beat because, to me, nothing of value was lost. The key part of the phrase is value isn't universal, value of items vary with each person who is perceiving said object. To me, Phil Fish hasn't provided anything of value to me. To you he might of, you might of enjoyed Fez. However, I'm deeply apathetic about Fez and therefore if Fish killed himself tomorrow nothing of value would be lost to me.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
"Fuck you guys! I'm taking my ball and going home!"

No sympathy. Whiny children like that have a hard time keeping friends.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Wow.. What a freaking child... Sucks for the Fez fans though, but don't worry, you don't need a kiddy developer like this guy anyway. Althoug Beer ain't much himself either... but still.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
It takes two to tango and Phish wasn't exactly a calming influence on his conversation partners.

When you're a public figure people see what you say and if you act like a CoD player people will see you as a terrible person.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
T-Shirt Turtle said:
Completely cancelling a game many fans are probably anticipating is rude and basically amounts to raising a giant middle finger at all gamers, good or bad.
A fan is nothing more than a customer likely to return if a new product arises. If he no longer sees value in exchanging his efforts to make a product, that's not rude. The man doesn't owe you anything you haven't bought and paid for.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
And Fez 2 was gunna have Blackjack and Hookers, but now forget Fez 2 and the Blackjack.
You should boycott twitter harder
Nerd.
Funnily enough he seems to have been just quoting futurama.

Too bad he missed the part where it's funny in futurama because it's a fictional character being inhumanly nasty to other fictional characters.

What an ass.

Riobux said:
snip;;**Did I really just read that?**

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Fish is an idiot. Fez is a fine game and all, but that doesn't make you criticism proof for making it.

Really though I think the most important thing to realize is that this man just burnt his career to the ground because of a twitter fight.

That might be somewhat simplified and it's true that he's received a lot of flak, but that's because he's gone and put himself in the spotlight. A lot of this probably started with the backlash from his "japan doesn't make any good games" comment, but since then he has done nothing but add fuel to the fire.

It's so insane that you would just stop making games, i.e. the one thing you have been dedicating your time and livelihood to, because of such trivial crap as "some guy on some website sad bad things about me". If you want to be, as you said, "the face of gaming" you have to deal with people saying not nice things.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Riobux said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
It should create value of life, yes. Loss of human life is always a loss. No exception. Especially when it's a preventable loss like from suicide. Hell, especially from suicide.

I was suicidal once. I still am, even. And you know, I may not offer anything to humanity as a whole but my life still means things to people. And my death would still have been a loss. Even if it's not by my taking of life explicitly, the people that have to find my body, the people who drive the bus I step in front of... people lose out, even if its not just because I'm gone.
The key word you said is "should". In it's self it's worthless. No one is going to congratulate you by proclaiming "well, Andy lives". What people are likely going to do is congratulate you for physical, mental and social products. However, even then this does not create value for everyone. If I got hit by a car tomorrow, you wouldn't care nor would find my death a loss (at least beyond the "well, every life is worth something" mantra). I haven't accomplished anything that could be described a product that has value to you.
Yes, but if you kill yourself, you'll never get a chance to.

I should explain, I think preventable human life is a loss. I don't mean to imply that it removes value, though - it is instead the absence of a value, of an asset. It might not directly take something existing from the world, but it takes something that DOESN'T exist - a hole, if you will, from which no good can come. I mean if everyone is flatlining, those dips are going to be noticeable, too.

And to be honest, suicide is probably most abhorrent because the only people it effects are the people left behind. I won't care if you step in front of a bus, it's true, but the bus driver and everyone on it might. The person who discovers your hanging corpse is going to actively have a much worse day because of that suicide. No parent wants to have to plan their child's funeral. Nothing there is added because of suicide, it is only taken away - value is not removed but value is certainly pulled away, shoved to the side, almost. Your "value" in being alive is that no-one has to deal with the event of your death. At the least.

I dunno, I mean really, the simple answer to this is that you should probably just try being empathetic instead of being a nihilistic downer all the time.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Eclectic Dreck said:
T-Shirt Turtle said:
Completely cancelling a game many fans are probably anticipating is rude and basically amounts to raising a giant middle finger at all gamers, good or bad.
A fan is nothing more than a customer likely to return if a new product arises. If he no longer sees value in exchanging his efforts to make a product, that's not rude. The man doesn't owe you anything you haven't bought and paid for.
Rude or not, there's no denying that dropping development for an eagerly anticipated sequel simply because you had a shit-slinging match with someone is pretty fucking stupid.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Steven Bogos said:
"im being attacked CONSTANTLY. and i can't fight back? ever? yeah that seems fair."
Maybe if he wasn't such a **** he wouldn't have to fight back.

Honestly, the way he acts, he's surprised that he gets shit? He gives people no reason to believe he's not a giant prick.
So... because he's honest, open, and speaks his mind that makes him a giant prick? See, this is why we can't have a more transparent game industry that is direct and honest with us, the consumers, because the consumers just rip the heads off of any developer that dares to say anything other than PR-Friendly drivel and is expected to take all the abuse we load on them without even so much as a peep, otherwise they are a "giant prick" or "such a ****".

I'm going to miss Phil, he may not have made a game I actually WANTED to play, but he was EXACTLY the kind of developer this industry needs to instill a positive change in this festering stagnation. One that was not afraid to actually be a NORMAL PERSON instead of some nebulous, unseen developer who only shows his face to say something factual about whatever they're working on, hype it up a little, then disappear back to the office. However, I guess the industry is just not ready to accept that people with a bit of fame and credibility are actually people too who have differing opinions, emotions, and lives outside of their career. This moment right here has just made the game industry's developers retreat just a little farther into their offices, since it seems all they think we expect, nay, DEMAND of them is to keep their mouths shut unless they give us more information on their games and at all other times just work on games.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Infernal Lawyer said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
T-Shirt Turtle said:
Rude or not, there's no denying that dropping development for an eagerly anticipated sequel simply because you had a shit-slinging match with someone is pretty fucking stupid.
No, what's rude is all the gamers and reviewers alike that decide that their entitled to be the know-all, end-all decision on the video games that the developers make. That this entitlement spews over into "boorish fuck" speak against the developers.

I applaud a person not putting up with bullshit anymore. I applaud them saying "no" to the entitlement generation. And, I applaud him for calling out those self-centered, opinionated pricks at GT.com for what they are: know-nothing judgmental voices.

Some may see it as "bad business", but really that needs to be the furthest thing to consider at all. How about some basic fucking humanity towards a talented individual? No wonder he went off the deep end. Sheesh!

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Well, so long Phil. Thanks for FEZ (which really was a great game, by the way). I wish you all the best in your future endeavors, whatever they may be. Although, to be honest, no matter which artistic industry you go into, you're going to encounter people like Marcus Beer. You're going to cop criticism. The Games Industry can be abusive, but so can any industry.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Infernal Lawyer said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
T-Shirt Turtle said:
Maybe it was just the straw that broke the camel's back? Seems like he's got some pretty pent up anger.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Deathfish15 said:
Infernal Lawyer said:
No, what's rude is all the gamers and reviewers alike that decide that their entitled to be the know-all, end-all decision on the video games that the developers make. That this entitlement spews over into "boorish fuck" speak against the developers.

I applaud a person not putting up with bullshit anymore. I applaud them saying "no" to the entitlement generation. And, I applaud him for calling out those self-centered, opinionated pricks at GT.com for what they are: know-nothing judgmental voices.

Some may see it as "bad business", but really that needs to be the furthest thing to consider at all. How about some basic fucking humanity towards a talented individual? No wonder he went off the deep end. Sheesh!
As much as I hate to say it, no-one's going to see this is as 'saying 'no' to the entitlement generation, they're going to see it as "fuck you then, I'm taking my cool toys home with me". As I've stated elsewhere, this is pretty much a spat between two arseholes, with the only difference that one is actually producing something relevant to the industry (Oh fine, I'll say it's Phil so you don't take that the wrong way), and unfortunately people are going to see this as Fish 'ruining' the sequel by throwing a tantrum, rather than the reviewer for initiating it. Note that I'm stating what OTHER people will think; whether or not I agree with his 'Show it to the man' attitude is really irrelevant.

People have already stated not only that he should get off Twitter if he can't handle the abuse, but also that he's perfectly capable of dishing out his own shit on other people without much reason, regardless of his inability to take it, which is really fucking stupid when you're in the gaming world's public eye. This is not what I think, he literally has a REPUTATION for being an jerk and acting surprised when the favor is returned, or responding to shit with his own crap.

And he didn't call anyone out, he just called them NAMES, told them to kill themselves using a crappy Futurama reference, said 'we're not going anywhere'... and then ragequited anyhow. THIS is how you call someone out:

1337mokro said:
"The thing with us "tosspots" "hipsters" is that we're not beholden to media leeches like you, and you're right. we're VERY successful. And we're not going anywhere. Get used to it because you will be reporting on my success stories for a long while more."

There you go Philly. A snarky comeback where you applaud yourself, scoff at him for being a decrepit old media parasite and basically do take the high-ground whilst still denigrating him to nothing more than someone who will be heralding your achievements.

That is how someone would react if they weren't hipster tosspot douchebags. It's best if you keep to making games and not engaging in empty exchanges of excessive insults.
I'll be the first to agree that this could very well have been the straw that broke the camel's back, and that he has every right to stop development for Fez 2 if he damn well wants to, and finally that this reviewer was being nothing more than an aggressive tosspot... But noone else will. There're just going to see it as Fish saying "Because some stupid fucking retards, you know, the ones that populate EVERY community, especially this one, said some nasty words that I didn't like, you're not getting the highly anticipated sequel to my game, because I can't stay off Twitter or learn to ignore people who say stupid crap about me." Considering that the internet is literally currently ringing with the phrase "And nothing of value was lost", as much as I despise it, I seriously doubt that I'm wrong about this.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Infernal Lawyer said:
If it were simply that reason alone, then it would certainly be a little silly. But, then, this is also a relatively common thing with Fish. Couple that with the brutal grind and stress inherent with game development and I can see someone walking away. Hell - people leave the game industry all the time because of the grind alone.

To put it another way, when your professional life consists of a job that often calls for 80+ hour weeks for months on end and then dealing with trolls all day, what psychosis would be necessary to stick around? That the man doesn't handle conflict well certainly does not help.

Aroddo

Feb 22, 2012
To be fair, the arseholes from Invisible Walls went something like this:

"You are successfull indie designers. Hurrah, you fucking hipsters!"
"If the press comes to you [...] be fucking grateful. Me I think you are a pair of tosspots!"
"Fish is a fucking arsehole ..."

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/roj70m/invisible-walls-everything-and-the-kitchen-sink

The fuck on the right seems like he thinks that as a member of the press he is privileged to blowjobs from developers. Kinda like the yellow press attitude in Britain.