Update: Fez Dev Tells Media Member To Kill Himself

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Why can everyone else deal with it and he can't? Why doesn't he keep the Twitter feed but get a PR person to keep it updated, like so many other devs do. If he really liked the other aspects of developing games I think he would have ignored this stuff or sequestered himself from social networking services.
I wonder if Fez II hit some developmental hurdles.

Can anyone point out any other developer who quit for this reason?

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Mr. Fish decided to become a media professional when he went for the role of a personality rather than just a developer.

He is clearly not able to handle that role. Sorry mate, but it's not the industry - it's you.

Flaery

Ghetto Trash
Dec 23, 2012
PH3NOmenon said:
Why does anyone care?

"Go and kill yourself." is the epitome of insults now? I've heard worse things irl and didn't hear any backlash, but on twitter that's not allowed? Because twitter is such a high-brow forum for discussion?

Also:

"I've heard worse in real life" isn't really a proper excuse. So long as I live and breath, I will never let "go kill yourself" become an acceptable form of insult in any conversation, twitter or not.

More on-topic: I would would say Fish is the greater of the two evils in this little debacle, his personality-type is just not suitable for extended contact with human beings, let alone internet-fame.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
People really ought to know by now to keep their childish outbursts off social media. I don't think ill lose much sleep over this new development and not only because he is so obviously a prick without the social graces to know when to keep his mouth shut.

I wonder if he will struggle with his future career with such an inflated sense of self importance and volatile reactions to some fairly mild criticism. Id like him to be forced to change his ways and becomes a better person through extended financial trouble but that would be too much to hope for.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
But that's just a quote from Bender in Futurama, he wasn't actually telling the bloke to go kill himself.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Well considering Fish at best can be described as 'outspoken' and at worst 'a massive dick whose arsehole dribbles out a vile mixture of slurry that he considers his opinion' I'm not surprised someone else tore into him.

You reap what you sow Fish.

But his cancellation hissy fit was a new one even for him, I already considered him a prick but this just makes him look like a childish prick.

Good Riddance.

Ruley

Sep 3, 2010
As someone with experience with mental health disorders, i can completely understand Fish's response. That doesn't make it right, but its understandable. With mental health, namely depression, if you feel theirs so much muck and fog around you that you get trapped in a corner with only negativity around you, you'll do anything in that mental state to get out of the corner, including lashing out. Hence why i understand Phils response. Furthermore, as indicated by previous posts, it doesn't seem the Escapist has presented both sides of the argument, just the line that ended it. If Beer had indeed been throwing the alleged 3 minutes of insults, interrupting his co-stars to add further offense to Phil, etc... how can Phil not take that so to heart and lash out in such a way? Given that Beer sounds like he had it out for him.

As someone also mentioned above, we seem to shun the mentally unstable, but the mentally unstable are responsible for a lot of our artistic progression over the years. Its only natural to see such people appear in our medium and i for one support them. However, as a general point, i think more should be being done to raise mental health awareness. It is a clinical illness, just like cancer is. You don't tell someone with cancer to get over it, grow up or stop thinking about it, which are some of the most common slag thrown at people with depression or anxiety disorders.

It sounds like both parties were in the wrong, i'd like to see another update to this article with a more full rounded story. Some people are claiming their was more to Beers comments than the Blowfish remark? I would like to see these added for balance?

At the end of the day, telling someone to kill themselves is a horrible, unthinkable thing that should never be said because you know nothing of the other persons life, state or well being. they might actually do it for reasons you know nothing about! But for our entertainment to say it (Bender, Futurama), its only natural we will come to include it in our day to day conversation (See peoples references to the CoD community). Fish was in the wrong, but so was Beer. Both parties need to calm down and talk it out. I feel the cancellation of Fez II is an overreaction and the Radio Silence we've gotten from Beer is just unprofessional and only fueling the fire.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
They were make a sequel to Fez? That game was a pile of pretentious faffing about. Plus it dragged on my to long.

Also everything I have seen about this Blowfish guy shows him in a bad light.

Now who will make our retro 2D platformers?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Ahhhhhh Twitter, Devour of Souls and Destroyer of Careers. Seriously, I wonder what the tally is up to for people that have thrown away their careers because of stupid remarks made on Twitter. Not just celebrities and game developers and such either. The exact same crap happens to every-day random people all the time as well. That's one of the reason I avoid it (and Facebook, for that matter) like the plague...it just seems absolutely idiotic to me.

More to the point of this guy's story: if you're going to be in any industry that invites criticism on every project that you do, you've GOT to be more thick-skinned than this. I don't care if you've been having hundreds of people on the internet shouting "YOU SUCK!" in various ways every day for the past couple years. You're getting a paycheck, right? Who cares what Random Internet Jackass has to say? Even if said jackass has a website and does some show...that doesn't change the fact that they're still just Random Internet Jackass #8573849037.

But I guess on the other hand it's as the saying goes: if you can't stand the heat, get the fuck off the internet...or out of the kitchen...or something like that, I forget how it goes. :3

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
"To be clear, I'm not cancelling Fez II because some boorish fuck said something stupid, I'm doing it to get out of games. And I'm getting out of games because I choose not to put up with this abuse anymore."
So basically what he's saying is that he hasn't quit the industry because some "boorish fuck" swore at him a little, but he's quitting the industry because someone swore at him a little.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
I've bought a copy of Fez right now. I hope that'll support Mr. Fish a little now that the media have made a new Hitler out of him.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
"To be clear, I'm not cancelling Fez II because some boorish fuck said something stupid, I'm doing it to get out of games. And I'm getting out of games because I choose not to put up with this abuse anymore."
The irony that he mentions 'some boorish fuck [who] said something stupid'. That describes himself perfectly.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
He's getting out of games because of this? Good, screw him. He deserves everything he gets.

I had always heard about this incident, but it's only recently that I actually saw it:

Had I actually seen this, I wouldn't have bought fez and supported him. I don't care that he doesn't like japanese games, that's fine. But you do not act this fucking rude to someone in front of a crowd, and you sure as HELL don't do it to someone who can barley understand and speak your language... especially someone who just complimented you. He's the definition of human shit.

The whole "I'm too kool for school because I'm a massive dick" persona thing isn't cute when you use it against foreigners who don't understand the joke.

Garfy

Nov 6, 2009
Whichever side of this you find yourself on it doesn't excuse the original article writer clearly taking sides.
Whatever happened to journalistic integrity Escapist? Or an update that mentions it was a Futurama quote?

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Fez wasn't even that good to begin with.

Yeah, the beginning was kinda neat, and the mechanic was something "new", though I would argue it was more or less Time Fcuk in a different coat of paint, at least that's what it felt like. But other then that, it was nothing too special, and it lost steam halfway through.

Good riddance, Phil Fish. I won't miss you.

Karnesdorff

Nov 19, 2009
llagrok said:
Why do people keep saying he's childish for calling out people who keep insulting him?

If you think kids are the ones that go off on other people the most, use the worst words and so on, then clearly you don't know a lot of adults :)
Because, as seen in the video in the post just above yours, he's the platonic ideal of someone who can dish it out, but can't take it. He'll insult anyone he feels like, to their face, in groups, whenever, but acts like you've murdered his kids when you criticise him in any way. Basically he's a diva, he thinks he's above criticism from anyone, but any insults or criticism from him to others has the weight of holy writ.

No-one's saying you can't act like an asshole on the internet, but you can't act like an asshole and then squeal and take your ball home when people dish out the same back to you.

He's also the reason Judas in Binding of Isaac wears a fez, due to a past dust up with Edward McMillan, IIRC.

Also, it doesn't matter a damn if what he said was a Futurama quote. What matters is the fact he seems to have meant it, as per his later actions.

K.

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
"To be clear, I'm not cancelling Fez II because some boorish fuck said something stupid..."
No you're a boorish fuck who said something stupid and then cancelled Fez 2. Some guy called you out about your actions and you say "OH I'M ALWAYS BEING ABUSED." Seriously I hadn't even heard of this guy before this article but anyone who publicly tells someone to kill themselves over some criticism is a bit of a dick.