UPDATE: Microsoft Announces Left 4 Dead 2

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Until I hear words of explanation from the mouth of someone on Valve's payroll, hopefully Gabe Newell himself, I firmly stand by my current position and resolutely yell bullshit until then. None of this seems right at all...

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Idea... maybe it's an expansion who's name they didn't think through well enough. Maybe they added "2" to keep with the horror-movie motif they have going.

... I know, I'm grasping at straws trying to rationalize this, but can you blame me? o_O

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Something tastes funny here guys...

1) Why release a sequel this close? They've not even released the SDK yet... Valve are known for putting new (/episodic) content out, so releasing the sequel this close seems off

2) Why was it announced by Microsoft? Valve are notorious for sitting on stuff for "as long as it takes"

3) Talking about "as long as it takes", it's hardly Valve's style to give a release date so far in advance, they've always erred on the side of caution and not given a release date, so they don't miss them.

Having said all this, the both the L4D forums and the Steam forums both have confirming threads... wth Valve?

Seriously, I hope this is an expansion pack, because if it's a totally new game then Valve have made a bum move.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Abedeus said:
oliveira8 said:
Ashbax said:
/sigh. Its not coming out 'half a year later' its coming out A year later, (Ok so its off by 2 days. Go flame it then.) But listen here - The COD games all have a 1 year gap, except cod 1 to cod 2, but since then its 2005 - Cod 2, 2006, cod 3, 2007, cod 4, and 2008, cod 5...And later in 2009, guess what? Cod 6.

And those were all good games. SO CALM, THE FECK, DOWN. Thank you.
We want Half Life 2:Episode 3 NOT Left 4 Dead 2 a game that just got released and could be well supported for a 1 year or 2 with DLC.
Agree. That's the same why we don't want TF3 - TF2 is awesome as it is, just give new content. Costs you less than making a new game and you still get money from new customers.
*shrugs* I for one, am going to buy L4D2. Besides, they couldnt add in ALL this content with one/two updates. It would take a while, and im fine with buying L4D2. Just mah opinion.

And it was announced by Microsoft becuase they work with valve for the L4D franchise. *Cough* Which eckzplains no L4D for Ps3.

yosophat

Apr 15, 2009
Why would you make a sequel to a game to a game that gets free DLC from its developer.

FoxParadox said:
Coming out November 17, 2009

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/47577/Left-4-Dead-2-High-Definition-Trailer-Released
After reading some of this it looks like a try to make a more realistic game using more common weapons like the melee weapons rather than finding an automatic shotgun and an assault rifle and pipe bombs just laying out on a table or floor.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Jordan Deam said:
I must say, this does see rather un-Valve like. But I'll hold off judgment until I get the skinny on Wednesday.
Did another company help Valve make Left 4 Dead? Maybe they took the reigns and Valve is only there for... emotional support or something.

Or at least I hope so.

I might start praying thats true... might. I don't want to see Valve turn into another sequel-spitting company.
Dont worry - they ARE making this w/ another company. Microsoft, to be precise.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Jordan Deam said:
I must say, this does see rather un-Valve like. But I'll hold off judgment until I get the skinny on Wednesday.
Did another company help Valve make Left 4 Dead? Maybe they took the reigns and Valve is only there for... emotional support or something.

Or at least I hope so.

I might start praying thats true... might. I don't want to see Valve turn into another sequel-spitting company.
Left 4 Dead was being made by Turtle Rock Studies and Valve. At the final stage of L4D Valve bought Turtle Rock Studio as it was intended since...2000 and something.

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
Really? After the massive amount of free content TF2 continues to get.. even the videos that are almost on par with Pixar and hilarious?

The L4D fans get to buy another game? I mean, it could be a full retail release for 360 folks and they have to pay for it and PC fans get it for free.

Maybe that is how they were able to give the first update for L4D free over Xbox Live by making a deal like this?

PC folks like myself should hold out and hope Valve hasn't performed a really bad move :(

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Ashbax said:
And it was announced by Microsoft becuase they work with valve for the L4D franchise. *Cough* Which eckzplains no L4D for Ps3.
How? The only other companies involved in L4D's creation was Turtle Rock Studios, which has since been bought and turned into a division of Valve anyway. EA published the physical copies of the game, so technically they're involved to.

Microsoft didn't have jack-fucking-shit to do with L4D in any way, shape or form. Before you even bring up anything about it being on the 260 only console wise that's because Gabe Newell hates the PS3.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Abedeus said:
Ashbax said:
/sigh. Its not coming out 'half a year later' its coming out A year later, (Ok so its off by 2 days. Go flame it then.) But listen here - The COD games all have a 1 year gap, except cod 1 to cod 2, but since then its 2005 - Cod 2, 2006, cod 3, 2007, cod 4, and 2008, cod 5...And later in 2009, guess what? Cod 6.

And those were all good games. SO CALM, THE FECK, DOWN. Thank you.
CoD 3 was an abomination.

And they are not Multiplayer-based games. They have potent single-player.
I wouldn't call CoD 3 an "abomination." True, it wasn't a stellar game, but with the time Treyarch had to do it, i.e. about 8 months, what they put out was a miracle.

Anyway, while this seems unlikely, I'm still exited if it's true because, well, LEFT 4 DEAD WAS THE BEST GAME OF LAST YEAR AND I'M A VALVE FANBOY.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Looks sweet. I don't care that everyone is whining that it came out so soon after it. This one looks like they updated the hell out of it. Also, I think people are pretty much used to Left 4 Dead. Going through the same motions, going through the same maps. It's good that they're releasing this, but I would really have appreciated Episode 3 more.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Vanguard1219 said:
Ashbax said:
How? The only other companies involved in L4D's creation was Turtle Rock Studios, which has since been bought and turned into a division of Valve anyway. EA published the physical copies of the game, so technically they're involved to.

Microsoft didn't have jack-fucking-shit to do with L4D in any way, shape or form. Before you even bring up anything about it being on the 260 only console wise that's because Gabe Newell hates the PS3.
Ok, so I was only guessing about the first one then. But I heard MS were working on L4D 2. And YEs I know it was only announced today. Still, I love being there the day games are announced, sO i gather all the information I can find on the web and act like a smart-alec about the game. I did the same with FC2 :p

slackbheep

Sep 10, 2008
Keep in mind that this announcement means that L4D2 is probably a year away. I'd happily buy it now if it's even as good as L4D, and by this time next year I will be even more hungry for it. Seems like pretty decent timing.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
You know, this could just be a major update for Left 4 Dead.

It's just that there is so much content that they are calling it Left 4 Dead 2. It's a publicity stunt.

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
popdafoo said:
Looks sweet. I don't care that everyone is whining that it came out so soon after it. This one looks like they updated the hell out of it. Also, I think people are pretty much used to Left 4 Dead. Going through the same motions, going through the same maps. It's good that they're releasing this, but I would really have appreciated Episode 3 more.
The reason why we are angry is look at Team Fortress 2 and the massive amounts of updates that game gets loads of content for free where Left 4 Dead fans are now expected to pay for that conent? That?s why we are upset. Valve is breaking their model they made with TF2; one that has proven to be HIGHLY successful for them.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Left 4 Dead again? Aren't we already getting Dead Rising 2?

*seen too many zombies for one lifetime*

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Well IGN just suddenly have loads and information up about it and to be honest this just looks like it could be dlc. Same engine (ofc) with some new weapons and maps.

Selling it as a new game would ensure anger.

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
You know, this could just be a major update for Left 4 Dead.

It's just that there is so much content that they are calling it Left 4 Dead 2. It's a publicity stunt.
Quite possibly, quite possibly but L4D blog says nothing! What do you think you have a blog for, Valve? Update it, please. I want to hear you say something on the affair.

Oh. And I know bloggers all over the world will go insane of this. I'm just looking froward to read on all those blogs =D