UPDATE: Microsoft Announces Left 4 Dead 2

DragunovHUN

Jan 10, 2009
Abedeus said:
Yes, I am sure that not even 50% of the current player base will buy the new game, and only half of us (at best) will stay.

Also let's not forget that once a sequel comes out, the previous game lands in the "ABANDONED FOREVER" box. You might get a patch now and then. But don't even think about DLC or anything like that.

Besides, that's just a dick move. "We make a game, then instead of making new content for it, we will immediately after 8 months release a sequel, so you either buy it or stay with your crappy old and unsupported game". That's like Blizzard making another 3 WoW expansions month after month. So you have to buy them all or you can't play the "new content" that could've been added with a patch or two.
So, does it ruin the experience if 50 000 people are playing at any given time instead of 100 000? I don't think so.
Look at games like CS 1.6 or even Condition Zero, every Valve game still has plenty of players online even though a sequel or new version came out long ago.

And that's not fair. They DID release a DLC pack for L4D, for free aswell. It's not fair to compare Valve, the one and only friendly big developer/publisher to companies like Activision blizzard or EA.
Abedeus said:
Ashbax said:
/sigh. Its not coming out 'half a year later' its coming out A year later, (Ok so its off by 2 days. Go flame it then.) But listen here - The COD games all have a 1 year gap, except cod 1 to cod 2, but since then its 2005 - Cod 2, 2006, cod 3, 2007, cod 4, and 2008, cod 5...And later in 2009, guess what? Cod 6.

And those were all good games. SO CALM, THE FECK, DOWN. Thank you.
CoD 3 was an abomination.

And they are not Multiplayer-based games. They have potent single-player.
Woah woah woah hold it. REAL COD games only come out every 2 years. The rest is made by a bunch of gimps called Treyarch, who were hired by Activision because Infinity Ward wasn't willing to rush their games.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Guys, it's not a joke. Sometimes you just have to face facts. Valve wants to make money like every other company out there. :p

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
I don't know why Valve would joke with us like this. I mean, I'm not complaining. It's looking awesome. Here's what I think happened: Source UPDATED. MAJORLY. What better way to test the new engine than to a game with tons of stuff on screen at once? Obviously DLC can't give us a completely new engine (basically a new game), so it's easier on them and those that wouldn't be able to run it by making a new game entirely.

Still, it's quite strange. Valve DOES take forever to make things. Sure, they probably have a lot of programming and concepts done due to the first one, but you think it would take at least 1 more year before they did this.

Steelfists

Aug 6, 2008
Go to http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/ , they have an audio interview with a designer and a preview. It explains a lot.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
wordsmith said:
Something tastes funny here guys...

1) Why release a sequel this close? They've not even released the SDK yet... Valve are known for putting new (/episodic) content out, so releasing the sequel this close seems off

2) Why was it announced by Microsoft? Valve are notorious for sitting on stuff for "as long as it takes"

3) Talking about "as long as it takes", it's hardly Valve's style to give a release date so far in advance, they've always erred on the side of caution and not given a release date, so they don't miss them.

Having said all this, the both the L4D forums and the Steam forums both have confirming threads... wth Valve?

Seriously, I hope this is an expansion pack, because if it's a totally new game then Valve have made a bum move.
You know what I think? I think that the reason why L4D took as long as it did was because they basically had to develop the engine it was going to run on, and for the sequels, since they had the engine, the massively overwhelming positive response, the sheer amount of effort that the Valve guys put into their games, it was much easier than making the first, and they could just feel free to add everything that was missing in L4D Uno.

That's just my opinion, anyway.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Hmmm...That voice over sounds like the voice actor for Eli Vance but without the "old guy" tone...

I still want to see L4D2 bundled with HL2:EP3...but with a date already out seems like the only thing Valve is going to put out this year.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
Guys, it's not a joke. Sometimes you just have to face facts. Valve wants to make money like every other company out there. :p
Well we always knew that. I just never saw them pulling a dick move like this.

Ok, ok, maybe it's a bit soon to be making assumptions yet. Maybe Left 4 Dead 2 will be worth £60-£50. It just feels like Left 4 Dead would have so much wasted protential. We're probably only going to get 1, maybe 2 DLC packs after this if we're lucky, and that feels like such a HUGE waste when you look at what Valve have done for TF2.

But it is Valve right. They say November the 17th. That means November the 17th 2014 if they're quick about it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Nov 17th, I notice you didn't say 2009, this being a Valve game and all...

I'm actually a little worried about this, mainly because Microsoft announced it and not Mr Newell's crew. Microsoft getting directly involved never bodes well. On the other hand, it's another Valve shooter, awesome.

Valthek

Aug 25, 2008
This has better be a free update, cuz i'm not going to pay ANOTHER 50? for this

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
Well I like the video.

DAmnit, another game I have to buy this year. But, ... I want Episode 3 :( I love L4D, but I want some damned closure in Half Life 2