[UPDATE] Rumor: Wachowskis Preparing Two More Matrix Sequels

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Well if they're like the first one I'll be more than happy about this. To be honest I didn't mind the second and third that much, but the first is definitely a superior film. I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
mindlesspuppet said:
They're not called the Wachowski Brothers anymore, just the Wachowskis, cause you know, sex change and all that.
D'oh! Thanks much; duly adjusted. :)
I didn't think you guys read our comments. That's nice to see. That said I have a lot to contribute to this thread myself.

Drumroll please...

"Meh."

I wouldn't be unwelcoming of sequels but I won't rush out to see them either. I liked the second one, really. But the third seemed a tad too full of itself and the anger of the fanboys was beyond my ken. "Don't expect wire kung-fu to give meaning to your life" I said. If this rumor is just a guy pulling playground stunts remains to be seen.

lettri

Oct 17, 2010
Maybe this one will be good? Maybe it happens before the original film took place? Or an alternative timeline? hey anything's possible.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I can only see this work if they don't the 2nd and 3rd movie...

And if they don't...WHY!? Don't destroy the little dignity The Matrix has left!

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
More Matrix movies? Well, I was one of those crazy people that liked the sequels (although admittedly not as much as the original), so I guess seeing more can't hurt. Hell, if true, I can see this being something to really look forward to.

But...how? Seriously, the end of the third film pretty much spelled the end of the story, didn't it? Bad guy gone, prophecy fulfilled, war over. There's nothing left that needs wrapping up.

Unless...that fan theory about Zion and all that we saw of the trilogy being just another level of the Matrix pans out. Neo did have those powers inexplicably, and the theory would explain it. Sure it sounds a little crazy now, but that would be a pretty huge and memorable development (if only because of the massive risk factor involved). I'd consider that worth doing just to make the Matrix films mind-blowing in their layered-logic again.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
The first was great, second was great, third while it did have its moments I was rather underwhelmed by it if I'm honest.... More in the series would be all well and good. But please put more thought into it.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Wait, we're getting MORE Matrix sequels?
...excuse me for a second.

...ah, now where was I? Ah yes, I remember. I do believe that these movies are going to suck. Hard.

Oh well, I guess that just means that I've got two more Matrix sequels that need to be repressed in my subconsious.

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
Maybe if they rebooted the franchise, picking up where the first one left off......it may be worth it.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Suicideking said:
darthotaku said:
I see alot of people saying that he already died. when he met with the programer he said the died seven times before that. It will be a new reincarnation of neo.
No, Neo did not die seven times before that. A person with the same kind of powers as Neo has came to be in each form of the Matrix, and was set upon a similar series of events to remove that person from the Matrix so that it could then be reset. Yes each person died, but that doesn't mean they were Neo. Neo was apparently special because of his love of Trinity. Out of all of those that became "The One" he is the only one that had a single person he was in love with. So each "One" is different.

If the new reincarnation of Neo was to appear, that should mean the Matrix was once again reset. Which would then leave huge gaps in what happened and would completely distance the new sequels from the originals, and basically would end up just being the first movie again.

Darth IB said:
I'm cautiously excited. I know I can trust Matrix movies to be cool, if not good.

Also concerning the whole "Neo died in the third movie" business, you might recall that he also died in the first one, and got better. Also he's basically the Jesus of the Matrix (he's even in crucifix-position towards the end if I recall) so he could reasonably resurrect just because he's the one.
The entire point of Neo's death in the third film was to ensure the destruction of Agent Smith. In order to rid the Matrix of Smith, Neo had to die. If Neo resurrects, then Smith, or some other super powerful agent, has to rise with him.
Did he die? I don't remember that. He was carried off by the machines after defeating Smith. I always though it kind had a redeeming quality to it. Remember how Morpheus said there was once a man at the centre of everything who controlled the machines and he let the first humans out for them to build Zion? Isn't that the story coming full circle? Neo is now that man. That's what I always thought anyway.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Suicideking said:
No, Neo did not die seven times before that. A person with the same kind of powers as Neo has came to be in each form of the Matrix, and was set upon a similar series of events to remove that person from the Matrix so that it could then be reset. Yes each person died, but that doesn't mean they were Neo.
My understanding was that the One is, essentially, a glitch in the Matrix. A recurring pattern that causes the same sequence of events each time. The machines aren't sure how to compensate for it so they (on one level, ie Smith and the Agents) try to quash it whereas on a higher level (the Architect) they prepare for the cycle to begin again. Neo altered that by taking a third path, but how are we to know that what he did wasn't exactly the same thing all his predecessors did? For all we know, Neo himself could be a program insterted into a human body - we've seen it happen before, and it certainly fits with the cyclical theory, keeping the glitching program (and the human rebels) busy until the cycle burns itself out again.

Suicideking said:
If the new reincarnation of Neo was to appear, that should mean the Matrix was once again reset. Which would then leave huge gaps in what happened and would completely distance the new sequels from the originals, and basically would end up just being the first movie again.
This explanation assumes that Neo, at any point in the movie, actually left the Matrix. It's entirely possible that he did not, and that Zion was merely another level of the Matrix. Or that everything the Architect said was bullshit. Practically everything we know about the world (or worlds) that these movies are set in is learned from other characters, many of whom have good reason to lie, so we can't take a lot for granted. Also, remember that Neo uses his powers in the "real world", lending further weight to the layers-within-layers theory.

Suicideking said:
The entire point of Neo's death in the third film was to ensure the destruction of Agent Smith. In order to rid the Matrix of Smith, Neo had to die. If Neo resurrects, then Smith, or some other super powerful agent, has to rise with him.
Wasn't the whole point of his death to be a sacrafice so that there would be compromise?

Frankly, the whole premise is dumb as a box of rocks - what kind of intelligent human being would, if the machines approached them honestly and explained the situation (the world is a nuclear wasteland, but they have the option to stay in kung-fu fantasy land as long as the machines can use them for energy for the duration of their natural life) would say "I'll take the depressing post-apocalyptic hell, please!"? All the machines had to do was approach us honestly, and they'd have gotten more than enough recruits to power their city.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Well, they already ruined it after the first, and not sure what they could really do after the last in terms of sequels. I'd still probably see them eventually...

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Huh. I was actually fine with both the Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions, but.. another?

No thanks. Hell, they aren't even in the Matrix any longer. Revolutions was a decent tie-up as it is.

necronmm

Dec 14, 2010
That Guy Who Phails said:
necronmm said:
Arrgh, they should focus on making the story interesting instead of "revolutionizing" the action genre.
But the first one did both without breaking a sweat, this franchise has huge potential.
Oh yeah I was talking specifically about the 2nd and 3rd. The 1st is my favorite action movie, everything is done well and it's self-contained (they hinted at a sequel, but it wasn't strictly necessary with the story presented).

I say the 2nd and 3rd don't count and were all a dream.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
I can understand the dislike for 3, but I've always liked 2! I thought it was mind-bending-ly intelligent and fun. 3 can sit on a pointed stick, but leave poor 2 ALONE.

O.T Without a doubt I'd end up going to see this. I've always liked the universe the story takes place in, and I think there are still some stories to be told.