Update: Xbox One E3 Demos May Have Been On Windows 7

mKeRix

May contain sarcasm
Oct 17, 2010
Loki_The_Good said:
Except for it clearly wasn't a dev kit it was using superior technology in every way. That's the issue not that they used a computer but they used a computer using far superior technology to what the end product will be. Which brings into question if anything on the xbox one will even look or run as well as they did at e3 as well as shows little faith in their own architecture. Again the problem isn't the PC obviously the final products aren't out so they cram the tech in proxy PC's it's that they didn't do that they instead opted for a nvidia 700 water cooled overclocked windows 7 machine.

For this particular case, you're right, although I wouldn't say they got caught or it is confirmed in any way, just as the title already suggests: "Xbox One E3 Demos May Have Been Running On Windows 7".

Loki_The_Good said:
By the way the "they did it too" is an argument 4 year olds get taught is wrong. It's still wrong and they got caught so there's no denying it. Maybe sony did too but that's only wishful speculation on your part.
The "they did it too" thing you mentioned was meant as a general statement, clearly it's still bad that the industry does certain things. It's just that overall, Microsoft is getting a lot of negative comments about things that other companies do where it is simply ignored by the current gaming community. It just seems unfair, that's all.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Orthodox_Reality said:
At this point, you have to wonder when Microsoft is just going to admit that they've been running one of the more successful trolls of modern history, and then release the actual console.

I mean, at this point they've successfully alienated most of their potential consumers... and now possibly one of their partners in manufacturing the damned thing.
At this point the only thing that can save them is if this is the longest running April Fools joke ever. This is going to be their Dreamcast.

OT: Well I like AMD more than Nvidia so I would like to see what a comparable system would run their games like..... but jumping to another card manufacture for your demos???? That is just beyond stupid. And this just goes to show that the Xbone is just an overpriced midrange PC......

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
And the burgers you people eat in fast food commercials are prepared by a real chef with specific experience in making food look good on camera.

This just in: When promoting something, advertisers can't legally lie but they will fudge things a bit to make things look their best. This is nothing new, not even for E3.

The Windows 7 thing is kinda funny, though.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
LocoCycle was the only game that was running on PC's, as the developer didn't finish porting it over to Xbox One.
[link = Here's a compilation of proof]http://www.forzacentral.com/forum/threads/xbox-one-games-did-not-run-on-high-end-pcs-at-e3.39428/[/link]

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
SurfKansas said:
SpAc3man said:
This isn't news.
They would be stupid to demonstrate on unfinished and unstable tech.
Like Windows 8.
In what way is windows 8 unstable or unfinished? There are legitimate gripes but one thing it seems even detractors have to agree with is that it is stable and relatively bug-free. At least know what you're knocking before buying into the hype.

Anyway. I wasn't sure that the whole xbox one spectacle was anything other than one of the internet's and the escapist's periodic random freakouts about random shit but now I'm not so sure. Now I'm thinking what the fuck? It seems everything is going wrong for this console. I'm thinking the internet might be right on this one for a change.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Well at least we now know that porting to the PC will be very simple, as the xbox one is a pc Literally this time!

But yeah just eh.. come one microsoft didn't you have a few more devkits around?

SmokePants

Jun 28, 2010
1) The dev kit is Windows 7 because they started shipping them last year BEFORE Windows 8 launched.

2) You cannot directly compare PC gpu specs with console gpu specs. Consoles can do a lot more with a lot less. Not saying that an Xbox is on par with a GTX Titan, but there's no reason to suspect that the games won't look as advertised on final hardware. No informed, intelligent reason, anyway.

But go on making fools of yourselves.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
FalloutJack said:
You know, maybe they just SHOULD back PC gaming, and ONLY PC gaming. Makes sense.
But... but they can't completely abuse their own consumer base from there.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
This is really a none issue.. some of the demos are not yet optimised yet; and have to use the extra power of a PC just to put out the graphics they expect the XB1 will be able to perform too once fully completed for development.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
SurfKansas said:
SpAc3man said:
This isn't news.
They would be stupid to demonstrate on unfinished and unstable tech.
Like Windows 8.
It is standard industry practice to use a more established OS for situations that require utmost stability. The build server at my previous place of work always used a version of Ubuntu that was several releases behind the current release for example. The Xbone SDK was also developed for Windows 7 so it makes more sense to run the game demos on Windows 7. As a programmer I would have done the same despite being very fond of Windows 8 as well as using it since it was made available last August.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Arawn said:
But to be fair both of them showed videos rather than gameplay at points. Movies can look breathtaking and spine tingling good, but then you play and it's just terrible.
SWTOR is the poster-boy for this practice. Not that I don't like the *idea* of TOR, or don't like elements of the game, but when you have the kind of pre-rendered trailers like they had for that game, you better deliver something awesome, and IMHO, it did not. Competent, arguably. but not spectacular.

OT: I love all the dev backtracking statements. Sure, guys, just keep telling yourselves that you were using the official dev kits, and maybe it will come true.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Reyalsfeihc said:
LocoCycle was the only game that was running on PC's, as the developer didn't finish porting it over to Xbox One.
[link = Here's a compilation of proof]http://www.forzacentral.com/forum/threads/xbox-one-games-did-not-run-on-high-end-pcs-at-e3.39428/[/link]
Sorry, but I'm going to call BS. The tipoff is Water Cooling. I used to be one of the engineering leads that got drafted to go to the major trade shows and make sure our demo units were doing their thing appropriately. There is no way that you would ever use a water cooled system for a trade show unless you were very specifically seeking to overclock the demo. It's not simply running the demo on Win 7 because it hasn't been ported to the console yet. It's someone really specially over prepped a system to go well beyond the design specs of not just the console, but even a typical gaming PC. They were generating a real time bullshot. Remember this is a trade show. All of this crap gets shipped in and shipped out. The setup teams have 2-3 days to get everything working. The last thing those setup teams want is liquid in the computers be it in a closed loop or needing to add the same on arrival. The only reason they would deal with it would be deliberate.

Vivid Kazumi

Jan 7, 2012
faefrost said:
Reyalsfeihc said:
Sorry, but I'm going to call BS. The tipoff is Water Cooling. I used to be one of the engineering leads that got drafted to go to the major trade shows and make sure our demo units were doing their thing appropriately. There is no way that you would ever use a water cooled system for a trade show unless you were very specifically seeking to overclock the demo. It's not simply running the demo on Win 7 because it hasn't been ported to the console yet. It's someone really specially over prepped a system to go well beyond the design specs of not just the console, but even a typical gaming PC. They were generating a real time bullshot. Remember this is a trade show. All of this crap gets shipped in and shipped out. The setup teams have 2-3 days to get everything working. The last thing those setup teams want is liquid in the computers be it in a closed loop or needing to add the same on arrival. The only reason they would deal with it would be deliberate.
cuz one pic proves the whole floor was filled with this crap.lets be logical here people

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Vivid Kazumi said:
faefrost said:
Reyalsfeihc said:
cuz one pic proves the whole floor was filled with this crap.lets be logical here people
No probably not. But it does make me question why MS was not policying exactly what the vendors were doing under their banner at the site of their big reveal and roll out. This isn't like showing a bullshot pre rendered video. This system, be it 1, 2 or a dozen was allowed into the MS presentation floor. It's inside the fence and as we obviously see, what it was was visible to the convention goers. This isn't like a screw up at a Mall Road Show. This was the reveal of their next gen 10 year cycle gaming console. And the MS product managers did not know what was in and specifically running in every single one of those green kiosks? Wow? If thats the case then the level of screw up is beyond the pale.

mKeRix

May contain sarcasm
Oct 17, 2010
Loki_The_Good said:
The "may" is just being generous and probably a precaution against the slim chance of being sued for libel and being left with only two photos. However, the photos are as damning evidence as one could expect. TB also pointed out other indicators that went on even during the conference such as battlefield four clearly showing a prompt for the back space key and the windows 7 error sound can be heard during the presentation. As for unfair there is no proof Sony did the same thing this year (this year being important as it's our first look at the new systems and using superior hardware is incredibly misleading) in fact the developer support and other evidence such as the assassin's creed crash indicate that it was running on legitimate hardware. Overall this shows a lack of faith in the Xbox one from Microsoft given they feel they can't use their own hardware to promote there system.
I think the article update confirms what I said?
And as for the presentation, I think it's clear that they'll run their conference over PCs and just use the XBone dev kit running games when needed. It would've been strange to run the whole presentation of a gaming/entertainment console.
And again, I wasn't just talking about if Sony ran their games on PCs or not this year. They did show us a lot of prerendered things in their first presentation, but that doesn't matter too much now. I just tried to stae that in general, Microsoft is getting additional hate for industry standards that nobody else gets hate for, at least at the moment - that will most likely calm down, but still.