ValiDate, a Dating Sim

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
What sort of VNs have you played that don't have a defined protagonist? In most of them the protagonist is the MOST defined since you get to see his inner monologue which is multiple dozens of times more extensive than what you see of the supporting cast.

You can have someone be a self-insert type of character that gives you the power to make choices but that doesn't mean they're undefined.

As for the highschool thing, that's just a genre of VN, the school life sim is kinda to VNs what slice of life is to anime shows. It's reductive to say all anime is slice of life just because a lot of popular shows are slice of life, same thing with VNs.
...yes, that's why I said "a huge chunk", not "every single one of them".
You and I are in very different scenes

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So, 8 people on Twitter. Mostly making posts with zero faves or retweets. The biggest one getting a grand total of 25 favs. And mostly saying the joke isn't funny, not being offended by it

Yeah, it's just a few people on Twitter.
Oh that was just a selection of those I found. I could have posted many more but I got bored

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
It's a joke about how soulless corporations will co-opt progressive language to continue being shit. Some people, either not picking up on the joke or reacting to other people not picking up on the joke, found it might be in bad taste.

Morons found those people and decided "the SJWs are complaining about Doom", coming up with hours of YouTube outrage about a handful of tweets with *maybe* a dozen interactions.
I don't think this is the motivation behind people complaining about the joke.

No, the reason people don't like it is because it is what you describe, but they want to deny that companies do that with all their might. They don't want to accept that all these companies don't sincerely see the correctness of their SJW platform and just naturally follow suit doing "the right thing" but are instead simply making a capitalist, cynical decision to maximize profit. It's kinda like asking them to give up some of their power when we point out that Nike isn't a philanthropic organization but is being progressive just to sell more shoes, because as it is now they get to use the authority of someone with huge backers when they strut around. These people are heavily incentivized to reject the notion that ANY company would do this, and complaining about doom is a form of that manifesting.

So yeah, when you hear this joke, it makes you think of all the companies in the real world who also probably do this thing, and once the doubt sets in, you may even begin to doubt that there could be PEOPLE who are merely espousing these beliefs to promote themselves, purely out of self-interest, and who would abandon you in half a breath if the other side has a larger slice of the consumership.

It threatens the entire foundation of allies that these people rely on to get to command people to do things they don't really want to do.

...yes, that's why I said "a huge chunk", not "every single one of them".
You and I are in very different scenes
Considering I can't come up with any VN where the protagonist is not well-defined, and I have played dozens, it can't be that huge of a chunk. Examples of what you mean in particular with specificity would help. Are you relying mainly on fan-made/doujin works and not professional stuff or something? Cause your account is kinda bananas lol.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

No, the reason people don't like it is because it is what you describe, but they want to deny that companies do that with all their might. They don't want to accept that all these companies don't sincerely see the correctness of their SJW platform and just naturally follow suit doing "the right thing" but are instead simply making a capitalist, cynical decision to maximize profit. It's kinda like asking them to give up some of their power when we point out that Nike isn't a philanthropic organization but is being progressive just to sell more shoes, because as it is now they get to use the authority of someone with huge backers when they strut around. These people are heavily incentivized to reject the notion that ANY company would do this, and complaining about doom is a form of that manifesting.

So yeah, when you hear this joke, it makes you think of all the companies in the real world who also probably do this thing, and once the doubt sets in, you may even begin to doubt that there could be PEOPLE who are merely espousing these beliefs to promote themselves, purely out of self-interest, and who would abandon you in half a breath if the other side has a larger slice of the consumership.

It threatens the entire foundation of allies that these people rely on to get to command people to do things they don't really want to do.
From what you and @TheMysteriousGX described, sounds like the same difference. Either way the people complaining are pussies who don't want to know, hear, or pretend the truth exists. Sucks to be them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gyrobot

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
Of course this game is going to crash and burn. They have no faith in their fishing minigame. They shouldn't hide it as a stretch goal, they should sell it as one of the primary features.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Or they just didn't think it was funny.
But then they wouldn't be SJWs and that wouldn't fit into your worldview

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Or they just didn't think it was funny.
But then they wouldn't be SJWs and that wouldn't fit into your worldview
Do you often complain about jokes being unfunny by using terms like "problematic" or "offensive"? Don't you just actually call them generically unfunny or dumb or something like that, if anything?

I think most people don't even bother to comment when they find something unfunny, that it even bothered them to the point of commenting when it wasn't all that much of a big deal itself shows something, but when you add the context of the sort of approach those complaints used, an approach dripping with ideology, one doesn't need a pogo stick to make the logical leap of where they're coming from and why they took issue with the joke.

At the very least, this is a case of "I know this is aiming to be funny for people whom I dislike, so I don't like this thing just purely because of that, irrespective of its relative humor in a vacuum". The fallacy where if something is for a "bad" group, it also by definition must be bad, too.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
From what you and @TheMysteriousGX described, sounds like the same difference. Either way the people complaining are pussies who don't want to know, hear, or pretend the truth exists. Sucks to be them.
Is it possible to not like a joke without being offended by it?
Serious question

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Do you often complain about jokes being unfunny by using terms like "problematic" or "offensive"? Don't you just actually call them generically unfunny or dumb or something like that, if anything?

I think most people don't even bother to comment when they find something unfunny, that it even bothered them to the point of commenting when it wasn't all that much of a big deal itself shows something, but when you add the context of the sort of approach those complaints used, an approach dripping with ideology, one doesn't need a pogo stick to make the logical leap of where they're coming from and why they took issue with the joke.
How many of the 8 examples @Dwarvenhobble posted used terms like "problematic" or "offensive"?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
How many of the 8 examples @Dwarvenhobble posted used terms like "problematic" or "offensive"?
One used the word problematic, and the other one said it was like a slap in the face, as someone with autism, so I think that counts as "offensive", so two!
Arguably three, if you count the person who said "now that racists won't be playing the game, remove the mortally challenged line" (paraphrased).

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
One spoke of it being for "fucking racists", another called it literally "problematic", a third spoke of it being for "chuds", a fourth spoke of "virtue signaling to anti woke people".

So yeah about half of them are dripping with ideologically-fueled antipathy and aren't concerned with the comedic merits or are actually letting their ideology supersede their sense of humor and find it unfunny explicitly BECAUSE it isn't progressive politics-wise, even though it actually is funny otherwise.

edit: I dunno how to count the autism one. I just chalked that up to the person just being autistic and that being their reason for not getting a joke as opposed to them being overly political.

Oh and if you're anti-woke wouldn't that be vice-signaling? Or sin-signaling? Singlaling? Can I coin that portmanteau?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Okay, but like, this one wasn't even complaining about the joke. It had zero interactions
Why would you pick it?
Twitter search and just picking ones as examples.

I mean the argument was people weren't upset about it not that the people upset had any real clout so all I had to do was present examples of people being upset about it.

So now they only count if they use very specific terms? Not tweets that seem to show they're offended or upset by the term "Mortally challenged" ?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Twitter search and just picking ones as examples.

I mean the argument was people weren't upset about it not that the people upset had any real clout so all I had to do was present examples of people being upset about it.

So now they only count if they use very specific terms? Not tweets that seem to show they're offended or upset by the term "Mortally challenged"?
If you're trying to make an argument that SJWs are A) pervasive and B) influential, you should be able to show tweets that get more than, on average, 1 interaction. (Discounting the tweet with a whopping 25 favs as it is, depressingly, an outlier)
Like, if it's just a handful of people spouting off into the ether...who gives a shit?
Oh and if you're anti-woke wouldn't that be vice-signaling? Or sin-signaling? Singlaling? Can I coin that portmanteau?
Vice-signaling is already what it's called and it's somehow dumber than virtue signaling

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Vice-signaling is already what it's called and it's somehow dumber than virtue signaling
It's just what the cool young kids do against the mainstream thought. Counter culture. You know, the whole leather jackets and motorcycles and smoking and free sex and torn jeans all that stuff.

That you have a counter-culture emerging in this form, in the mocking of SJWs, goes to show just how pervasive they are.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
One spoke of it being for "fucking racists", another called it literally "problematic", a third spoke of it being for "chuds", a fourth spoke of "virtue signaling to anti woke people".

So yeah about half of them are dripping with ideologically-fueled antipathy and aren't concerned with the comedic merits or are actually letting their ideology supersede their sense of humor and find it unfunny explicitly BECAUSE it isn't progressive politics-wise, even though it actually is funny otherwise.

edit: I dunno how to count the autism one. I just chalked that up to the person just being autistic and that being their reason for not getting a joke as opposed to them being overly political.

Well you did roll into the thread with "beings" "simpulator" and "e-thot" so if anyone should coin it, it would be you. (That also gave me a good laugh by the way)

OG.jpg

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's just what the cool young kids do against the mainstream thought. Counter culture. You know, the whole leather jackets and motorcycles and smoking and free sex and torn jeans all that stuff.

That you have a counter-culture emerging in this form, in the mocking of SJWs, goes to show just how pervasive they are.
No?
Like, the mainstream is well known for reacting violently against upcoming counter-culture stuff. Disco Demolition Night comes to mind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Demolition_Night

Your persuasive SJWs seem to be relegated to indie video games and tweets barely anybody pays attention to. ValiDate is very much not mainstream.