Valve Delivers Blizzard-esque Dota 2 Trailer

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
ZiggyE said:
Twilight.falls said:
ZiggyE said:
Twilight.falls said:
ZiggyE said:
So, I can either play the original, and most likely superior, DotA or I can play Valve's pathetic ripoff that they stole and are trying to profit of at the expense of hard work by other people?

Yeah, I'm going to go with the original Warcraft III version, thank you very much. Plus, the Warcraft III version is most likely more mature than the typical people you see playing Valve games.
Are you aware that Icefrog, currently the man maintaining Warcraft 3 Dota, is the head developer for Dota 2 after Valve hired him, and that Valve is very well known for hiring mod developers?
I'm well aware of that. Are you aware that the people who made DotA, Eul and Guinsoo, have openly attacked DotA 2 saying charging for a game mod that they came up with is bad and that Icefrog had nothing to do with the creation of DotA and only came into the fray a whole two years after DotA had been around.

Not to insult you, but it seems to me you hadn't done research.
Not to insult YOU, but you seem like a blind Valve fan who fails to see that DotA was never charged for and never copyrighted because the creators and community felt that it would be wrong to charge for it and didn't copyright it so people could make their own fan versions of DotA, such as the famous Naruto DotA mod (a mod for a mod, funny huh) and Valve took advantage over that so they could make a quick buck by coming along, stealing the idea and charging for it. It's an absolutely disgusting and abhorrent move and one that should be condemned. Also, Valve should be boycotted for making this game, not praised for it.

Yes, I'M REALLY MAD about this whole situation. And I'm not even a big Blizzard fan (but I do love my DotA).
My apologies for invoking your ire. But you see, gaming is (at its heart), an industry. And if it is profitable for a company, such as Valve, to capitalize on a fan made mod that proved to be very popular competitively around the world, then why shouldn't they?
I dunno, because of the "We are gamers too" marketing scheme they have going on? It'd be a NICE thing to do for the gaming community. By comparison, stealing an idea and charging for it seems disgusting and immoral?

I don't see Atlas, EA Games, hell, we don't even see Activision doing this kind of scummy, evil thing and I have very little faith in the future of gaming where this thing is not only acceptable, it's ENCOURAGED. And quite frankly, I'm disgusted in the gaming community for not making a bigger outroar about this. Valve are STEALING from the community, changing the IP, giving it a new engine and a makeover and charging full price for it. It's horrible. I have a lot of respect for Blizzard, who for seven years, could have done the exact same thing and didn't.

Valve hardly seem like gamers if they're going to steal from gamers in such a way. I am one gamer, at least, who still has morals and one gamer who Valve won't be seeing money from ever again.
While your views are quite vehement, I respectfully disagree. Valve has helped out many community developers over the years and praised for doing so. It is well known that Valve has put many measures in place to ensure that community developers get their fair share, such as the profit from Mann Co. store bought Team Fortress items having a majority of the income going to the contributors.

It could be argued that, in hiring a community developer to make Dota 2, they are in fact supporting the community even further by rewarding them for their effort. Of course, they can't really reward Eul and Guinsoo since they are doing quite well with League of Legends.

I'll admit, I may or may not have been a part of the gaming community as long as you have, and I respect your seniority if the latter, but I do not see much of an issue here.

KCL

Jan 12, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
If I understand correctly, Valve hired the guy who made the original. So arguments about quality are debatable.
You don't understand correctly. DotA was originally created by Eul. It was then taken, without permission, and made into DotA Allstars by Guinsoo. After being hired by Riot, Guinsoo then handed it off to IceFrog.

The saddest part of this whole thing is that the real creator and popularizer of DotA hasn't gotten any of the credit because kiddies can't be bothered to get their facts straight. Apparently, the real way to break into the game industry is simply to steal someone else's work.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Twilight.falls said:
ZiggyE said:
Twilight.falls said:
ZiggyE said:
Twilight.falls said:
ZiggyE said:
So, I can either play the original, and most likely superior, DotA or I can play Valve's pathetic ripoff that they stole and are trying to profit of at the expense of hard work by other people?

Yeah, I'm going to go with the original Warcraft III version, thank you very much. Plus, the Warcraft III version is most likely more mature than the typical people you see playing Valve games.
Are you aware that Icefrog, currently the man maintaining Warcraft 3 Dota, is the head developer for Dota 2 after Valve hired him, and that Valve is very well known for hiring mod developers?
I'm well aware of that. Are you aware that the people who made DotA, Eul and Guinsoo, have openly attacked DotA 2 saying charging for a game mod that they came up with is bad and that Icefrog had nothing to do with the creation of DotA and only came into the fray a whole two years after DotA had been around.

Not to insult you, but it seems to me you hadn't done research.
Not to insult YOU, but you seem like a blind Valve fan who fails to see that DotA was never charged for and never copyrighted because the creators and community felt that it would be wrong to charge for it and didn't copyright it so people could make their own fan versions of DotA, such as the famous Naruto DotA mod (a mod for a mod, funny huh) and Valve took advantage over that so they could make a quick buck by coming along, stealing the idea and charging for it. It's an absolutely disgusting and abhorrent move and one that should be condemned. Also, Valve should be boycotted for making this game, not praised for it.

Yes, I'M REALLY MAD about this whole situation. And I'm not even a big Blizzard fan (but I do love my DotA).
My apologies for invoking your ire. But you see, gaming is (at its heart), an industry. And if it is profitable for a company, such as Valve, to capitalize on a fan made mod that proved to be very popular competitively around the world, then why shouldn't they?
I dunno, because of the "We are gamers too" marketing scheme they have going on? It'd be a NICE thing to do for the gaming community. By comparison, stealing an idea and charging for it seems disgusting and immoral?

I don't see Atlas, EA Games, hell, we don't even see Activision doing this kind of scummy, evil thing and I have very little faith in the future of gaming where this thing is not only acceptable, it's ENCOURAGED. And quite frankly, I'm disgusted in the gaming community for not making a bigger outroar about this. Valve are STEALING from the community, changing the IP, giving it a new engine and a makeover and charging full price for it. It's horrible. I have a lot of respect for Blizzard, who for seven years, could have done the exact same thing and didn't.

Valve hardly seem like gamers if they're going to steal from gamers in such a way. I am one gamer, at least, who still has morals and one gamer who Valve won't be seeing money from ever again.
While your views are quite vehement, I respectfully disagree. Valve has helped out many community developers over the years and praised for doing so. It is well known that Valve has put many measures in place to ensure that community developers get their fair share, such as the profit from Mann Co. store bought Team Fortress items having a majority of the income going to the contributors.
There's a difference between helping out community developers and stealing a free mod from another game's community and charging for it without acknowledging the actual creators.

It could be argued that, in hiring a community developer to make Dota 2, they are in fact supporting the community even further by rewarding them for their effort. Of course, they can't really reward Eul and Guinsoo since they are doing quite well with League of Legends.
I fail to see how thievery can be argued for. It's like arguing in support of piracy.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
ZiggyE said:
I fail to see how thievery can be argued for. It's like arguing in support of piracy.
But I stole that bread to feed my starving family. I can't get a job and the soup kitchen was shut down due to rats.

I pirated that because there were no legal means to obtain it within my country.

Both are valid arguments in support of Thievery and Pirating.

OT: I don't personally see the problem with DOTA2 seeing as how its apparently all caps and not DotA like it would be if it stood for something. I don't own WC3 so I can't really play the original. I do play LoL though. And the only way I will see a problem with this is if Valve decides to charge more than like 3 dollars for it.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Krion_Vark said:
ZiggyE said:
But I stole that bread to feed my starving family. I can't get a job and the soup kitchen was shut down due to rats.

I pirated that because there were no legal means to obtain it within my country.

And neither can be legitimately applied to Valve stealing DotA and thus are irrelevant to the topic and are instead mindless nitpicking.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
It sounds to me like someone simply wants to ***** at Valve for no reason, thereby allowing him to declare that any who disagree with him are blind fanboys. Not that listening to tantrums isn't entertaining, but I've got better things to do with my time. So I might as well give my two cents on the video now before I peace out.

I'll buy this because it looks fun, because the community will most likely be good, and because Valve have never let me down in the past.
Don't like it?

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
Holy. Shit. I might hate you people. Here I am, never played Heroes of Wherever, League of Whatever, or Defense of the Whoever. See a trailer which looks friggin' lovely, come down here to comment on how this looks nice, maybe I'll get interested in it, having avoided the three above because of what's generally considered horrendous communities, ask around about the predecessors, that sort of thing.

You know. Civilized dialogue.

Instead, tangential flame wars about a whole ton of shit I couldn't care less about. On the Escapist, which I normally find to have a cordial community. Christ, these games have a terrible "community".

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Ugh, dammit. but League of Legends just announced Dominion. What to sink my time into...

VileTerror

Dec 22, 2010
I can honestly say I wouldn't pay good money (or even bad money, or any money at all) for a piece of . . . that.
It looks way too mundane. Nothing about that trailer sparked excitement or interest for me.

Earnest? I'd appreciate it if you avoided such generalizing colloquialisms in the future. For that crime, the entire game industry is guilty enough as it is. Particularly in the marketing departments.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
ZiggyE said:
Krion_Vark said:
ZiggyE said:

And neither can be legitimately applied to Valve stealing DotA and thus are irrelevant to the topic and are instead mindless nitpicking.

Again, I respectfully disagree. To me, but probably some others, I see Dota as a mod for Warcraft 3 that has been maintained by Icefrog for quite a while, with more updates that some paid for games.

I see Dota 2 as a chance to finally give back to Icefrog for maintaining the game for so long, considering that Eul and Guinsoo are now making enormous profit off of League of Legends.

I now bid you farewell in future endeavors, as I will set my sights on a couple other threads.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Well, it's not like Valve can't animate. The Meet the Team videos are more than proof of their skill.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Eggbert said:
Holy. Shit. I might hate you people. Here I am, never played Heroes of Wherever, League of Whatever, or Defense of the Whoever. See a trailer which looks friggin' lovely, come down here to comment on how this looks nice, maybe I'll get interested in it, having avoided the three above because of what's generally considered horrendous communities, ask around about the predecessors, that sort of thing.

You know. Civilized dialogue.

Instead, tangential flame wars about a whole ton of shit I couldn't care less about. On the Escapist, which I normally find to have a cordial community. Christ, these games have a terrible "community".
While I may be biased, as I am talking about myself here, I believe I was being rather civil.

If I was too harsh, I humbly apologize.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
ZiggyE said:
Krion_Vark said:
ZiggyE said:

1) in the part I quoted it says nothing about Valve.
2)Its not mindless nitpicking considering how I gave 2 valid points that have no wriggle room to be turned around to be false.
3) Get off the high horse and take a few deep breaths your arguing about something that doesn't really matter seeing as how the game is getting made anyway. You don't like it don't play it. If you still play it your argument has no water underneath it and you are just stuck on a beach about to be attacked by cannibals.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
neat trailer but its already going to have to compete in a pretty bloated market with a number of other games but mostly league and league is kind of the king of this type of game... well, its valve and you can never underestimate valve so Ill still give it a shot even though it looks really league like

KCL

Jan 12, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
It sounds to me like someone simply wants to ***** at Valve for no reason, thereby allowing him to declare that any who disagree with him are blind fanboys.
It sounds to me like uninformed people spouting their nonsense opinions. Which is pretty much par for the course, actually. For example:

Twilight.falls said:
I see Dota 2 as a chance to finally give back to Icefrog for maintaining the game for so long, considering that Eul and Guinsoo are now making enormous profit off of League of Legends.
This guy has no idea what he's talking about. Eul isn't involved with Riot or League of Legends in any way whatsoever. Guinsoo is just an employee doing work for hire. Neither of them is making these completely imaginary gobs of cash.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Not really convincing, but I'll stay tuned.

It looks really generic and misses Valve's humor. Didn't hype me one bit to be honest. The action scenes lacked impact and it's generic Fighter/Mage/Assassin gameplay mechanics otherwise. No chills for me.
Funny how many people only know LoL and not the original DOTA it's based on tho. Especially funny if they talk about stealing characters.

But hey, Valve has a certain reputation, so I guess I'll follow the cliffnotes in any case. Neither fascinated with this or CS GO at the moment tho. They might run into a L4D2 ""fiasco"" and get people complaining they didn't change enough to justify a completely new game - but it sold well anyway, so I don't predict it'll hurt them anyway.

Wireframefool

Mar 20, 2011
As much as I love anything Valve does in animation, i'd rather see actual game play than just another one of their fancy trailers. Because the way a moba plays is not this fluid or exiting at times, because I didn't see the first half of them last hitting creeps.

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
Twilight.falls said:
While I may be biased, as I am talking about myself here, I believe I was being rather civil.

If I was too harsh, I humbly apologize.
I'm not having issues with the harshness, it's just the general bickering tone of the whole thread.

What is gameplay like in these things, anyway? I keep hearing about them, but I've never tried any. I do love the trailer, though.

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
ZiggyE said:
Yeah, I'm going to go with the original Warcraft III version, thank you very much. Plus, the Warcraft III community is most likely more mature than the typical people you see playing Valve games.
You lost me at "mature Warcraft III community" I enjoyed playing DOTA, but that community is so horrendous I'd rather just d/l AI maps and play there. One mistake, and you can hear most, if not all, of the current racial slurs in the English language.

Charge a little bit for a helpful, involved community? Yes, I would.