Valve Giving PS3 Owners Two Copies of Portal 2 For the Price of One

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
jboking said:
uppitycracker said:
Valve is steadily losing ground with PC gamers, and up until now I didn't really agree with it. The mannconomy update really did a lot to lose the PC gamers respect
I'm gonna stop you there. What kind of ungrateful PC player doesn't realize that Valve has been supporting a three year old PC game for free? A game that is often basically free on their digital download service because of steam sales? How do you expect them to justify continued support on TF2 when they basically are not making money off of it? The manconomy update allowed players to buy stuff they could instead unlock(and some they couldn't) to help support the game. Then they introduced crates as random drops(which doesn't lower your drop count for the week) so they could encourage you to buy keys all to help support the damn game. Anyone that honestly lost respect for Valve because of this either is an ungrateful prick, or doesn't understand that the alternative was likely to abandon TF2 as they moved on to new IPs.

, but giving console gamers exclusive content, as well as the ability to have both platforms for the price of one, is a little ridiculous... why not offer that to PC gamers, as well?
Because they haven't ever shafted PC gamers, but they've shafted PS3 gamers plenty. Not to mention, this does little to harm PC gamers, as the 'exclusive content' you are going on about likely isn't much compared to PC mods and the razer hydra levels.
It's such a shame to see one of the only developers that has been good to the PC community flip their script and start targeting the consoles...
They have been targeting consoles since the release of L4D1. Now they are just targeting a different console that they neglected in the past.

Relax, Valve isn't abandoning the PC crew.
I agree with all of this, though hopefully in the future no console whatsoever will get shafted.

And valve wont leave pc, they have so much still pc only, and steam too. If you see a notice saying steams gonna go down, then be worried. Till, then, be happy.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Unabletothinkofname said:
I'm not going to fly into a rage because that would just be stupid. As a 360 owner who's not hooked up to the net, I could care less that Valve and PS3 are all friendly now, but my only fear is that Valve are going to turn their back on the 360 entirely.

Still. If I ever get my Xbox hooked up hopefully Microsoft will have stopped being massive dicks by then.
Couldn't. Its you couldn't care less

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
LightningBanks said:
ookie37 said:
nothing has ever given me more viruses or lag then having a steam account. i would not wish that on anybodies PS3. On the flip side, i do want portals.... conundrums... :(
i highly doubt its from steam, but if it was, it wont be from valve, therefore your pc and ps3 are safe.

Seriously, if any steam game give viruses, uproar would hapen
Indeed, I can understand if you got a wee bit of lag whilst logging onto steam, but I no people who run it on Netbooks and I'm talking about the 512mb Ram and 40gb solid state hard drive Xp Netbooks.

As for virus' I agree with the guy above me, if virus' where to happen there would be an uproar.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
This news probably won't be quite as popular with Xbox 360 and PC players, however, as they will have to fork out the same amount of money as PS3 owners in exchange for significantly less content.
Not really. I was planning on getting the PC version anyway, so spending money on the PS3 version and getting the PC version free just seems like a really roundabout way to get the PC version I want to play in the first place. And if PS3 players can play with PC players, then obviously PC players can play with PS3 players. So basically, there's really no incentive to get this for PS3 if you were already planning on getting it for PC, and no reason to be sore about this news.

Now, the people who wanted the 360 version on the other hand... Yeah they're probably going to be mad. But again, I can't think of any reason why I should feel like I'm getting less if I get the PC version I wanted anyway.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
This doesn't matter that much to me. I don't plan on getting Portal 2 for either my 360 or PC, and there's no way Valve would just abandon the 360 in favor of the PS3. This sounds more like an apology than anything else. Why would you need two copies of the same game anyway?

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Korten12 said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Good for them, I will just refuse to purchase Portal 2, then.
Huh, why do you refuse the buy portal 2 now?
Because if they are going to make it so much better to get the PS3 version, then they wont get any of my money.

BioHazardMan

Sep 22, 2009
Lol

Valve: PS3 is awful for putting games on, no updates and no games!

(Later): It's awesome! They got an extra copy and features too!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
No fair, what about us PC guys?......Also Xbox 360, fuck you Valve
Huh, well they aren't doing it on 360 becuase of XBl, but for PC... Uh.. It doesn't really work in reverse.

Riff Moonraker said:
Korten12 said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Because if they are going to make it so much better to get the PS3 version, then they wont get any of my money.
So I assume you're a 360 player?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
If you have both platforms then what would be the point of buying the PC version...
Saving $10 if you have no interest in playing the game on your PS3. PS3 and 360 version = $60, PC version = $50.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Hybridwolf said:
Damn, looks like the 360 users are getting the short end of the stick...hang on. Wasn't Dead Money for Fallout New Vegas exclusive DLC to 360? Wasn't Mass effect on the 360 for a good 3-4 years or so? Aren't we supposedly getting a metal gear game and didn't final fantasy come out on both consoles? Huh.
In all fairness: Bethesda always releases GOTY editions with all their dlc. So basically, after you've payed $100 for the game and dlc, other gamers will have gotten wise and just waited so they only had to pay the original asking price for the game and Dlc. In other words, Timed exclusivity is timed. Also, concerning that ME2 is no longer exclusive, I wouldn't use how long it was exclusive as a sign of love. It's like looking to a past relationship where she dumbed you for another guy and thinking she still loves you. The 360 and PS3 are getting a metal gear game...that doesn't feature snake...and is apparently about chopping watermelons with katanas...and is apparently about "lightning action" instead of "Stealth espionage action." You can call that a Metal Gear game if you want...but is it (Yes, I am upset)? Finally, the 360 did get a lot of love for getting FF13. Of course, it was FF13, so that's like getting a kiss quickly followed by a boot to the jaw.

Keeping this mind, they can have their extra copy of the same game. My console of choice has had plenty of love, and when I get a new laptop, I'll just get portal 2 then. Until then, I've got dead space and Bulletstorm to enjoy. Which also is coming out on time...

Also, whats all this crap about hydra?
Hydra is a motion controller for the PC that uses a completely different type of control recognition system. It basically has a ball as it's stand and recognizes your position in a 3D space from the ball. It's pretty interesting.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
do i get a free PS3 copy of the game if i buy it on PC and link my PSN? if no Boooo

but that is a fantastic gesture no less, I might be tempted to buy the PS3 version to get the PC version for free XD.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Korten12 said:
Quiet Stranger said:
No fair, what about us PC guys?......Also Xbox 360, fuck you Valve
Huh, well they aren't doing it on 360 becuase of XBl, but for PC... Uh.. It doesn't really work in reverse.

Riff Moonraker said:
Korten12 said:
Riff Moonraker said:
So I assume you're a 360 player?
Oh, sorry. You did ask me that the first time. Yes, I am.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Damn it microsoft stop being a sack of fuckwits, authenticate your developers updates and stop dicking around. TF2 should have been updated at the same time as the pc version instead you were a bunch of jerk offs. If it weren't for my lack of money and pc knowledge I would have built a rig that doesn't tear like crazy from time to time and just jump ship from consoles.

Consoles just like PC's are NOTHING with out developers, so get on your knee's put on your cherry chapstick and get to work satisfying the needs of the people who make games to get you money bloody free loading twerps.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
This really is Valve flipping off their loyal Xbox 360 fans. The ones that bought their games for Xbox as well as paid for the DLC they released whilst PC gamers got it for free. Personally I wonder why they don't add a authentication code in the case of the xbox 360 version of the game that lets them activate it on Steam and the same could be done for the PC version except seperate cases have Xbox 360 and PS3 codes in. Or alternatively they could not do the 2 for one offer at all and keep some respect from xbox 360 owners. I mean wtf seriously... I bet theres gonna be another boycott.

(Note: I buy Valve's PC versions of their games :p)

icame

Aug 4, 2010
God dammit valve. Your starting to rival Bioware in my amount of love for you...stop it

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
mjc0961 said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
If you have both platforms then what would be the point of buying the PC version...
Saving $10 if you have no interest in playing the game on your PS3. PS3 and 360 version = $60, PC version = $50.
$10. Big deal. I`ll gladly pay the $10 more for the ability to play Portal 2 on my PS3 with my console friends and on Steam with my Steam friends. $10 isn`t going to break the bank. Now it`s cheaper than paying an extra $60 to play it on 360 and Steam.