Valve Giving PS3 Owners Two Copies of Portal 2 For the Price of One

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
jboking said:
GiantRedButton said:
I replied to the claim that that the ps3 version costs as much as the pc version and that the pc version gets less content. The pc version is cheaper then the ps3 version and both aren't the version with the most content.
Sure you can buy the game and some other stuff and then pay more then a console game, but you either don't pay as much or get more content.
Also the version with hydra support is a diverent one from the standart pc one.
So you won't be able to use your ps3 bonus copy with it.
Also the bundle costs 100 dollar, since the ps3 game is more expensive to begin with and you will lose the bundle discount, it isn't really viable.
So there would be some benefit to including the ps3 version with the pc version (not just the other way around)
Though i don't really care.
My point was that the pc version is cheaper and has potential extra levels. so you dont pay just as much for less content, but you pay less for the same or more content depening on what hardware you have.
It's a different version all together for the hydra? That would appear to make it cost more than the Console version and being separated from the normal PC version means it likely wont get the same number of mods. The PS3 version is all of $10 more expensive than the PC version and comes with the PC version. That's two copies of the game, which means two different control methods and one of which has mods. It would appear that there is more content in buying the PS3 version.

Hydra be damned, with the stuff they are offering for the PS3 version, it does appear to have more content.
How much extra content does it have?
We don't know how many extra levels the hydra variant will get.
Again my point was that the ps3 version is neither the cheapest nor the one with most content :D
I'm sure its still a great deal, most valve games are bonuses or not.
500 posts :)

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
USSR said:
PSN and PC - Portal co-op?

Not sure how I feel about that.
Kriffing Amazing is how I would put it. Cross platform multiplayer buddy. Imagine if the PS3 steamworks gives the Orange Box PS3 TF2 patches.

nibblesthecat

Nov 8, 2010
Considering I also have a gaming laptop I'm not really bovved but now that I think about it that's a dick move I don't think Valve are capable of.
from what i gather that shouldn't matter, at the moment i have games like L4D2, Civ 5 on Steam, initially downloaded for the PC , but i can play them on my mac as well. so while you wont be able to purchase portal on PC and also get a PS3 version , i would fully expect you could play it on other PC's, MAC's using that same steam account

vazzaroth

May 19, 2009
Assuming the are the same price (I theorize the PC one will be 25-40% less though) I'm buying the PS3 copy, installing the PC code copy, and instantly turning the PS3 one into gamestop to buy PSP games or something. Or steam gift cards?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I only want it on my PC. The PS3 version will cost more.
Thus it's not really a choice for me, I'll just buy the PC version.

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
It's not really that good if a deal if you think about it. The game already supports cross platform co op so the only thing that this changes is that if you don't want to sit in front of your tv to play portal 2 you can sit in front of your monitor to do it without having to buy it a second time.

hottsaucekid

Sep 20, 2009
USSR said:
Woodsey said:
Well then don't play with people on the PS3. What's to feel, exactly?
OT: Good deal. Valve are definitely teh best.
I mean, I'm not saying it's bad.
It's a very good deal.
Cross-platform multiplayer + extra copy of game for PS3 owners w/ steam accounts.

I, personally, have no knowledge of cross-platform multiplayer
Has anyone done something like this before?
If so, has it worked?

I'm sorry if that's a stupid question, but I'm just ignorant of how it all.. works.
Shadowrun did it, and it was awesome.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
If my friend buys this for his computer I will be able to play co-op with him. Finally our differences between his Xbox and my PS3 will be rectified!

Burn2Feel

Jan 20, 2010
Great news for those who own a gaming PC and a PS3, but I can't help but feeling like Valve have hopped onto a different audience entirely. Fair enough, the PS3 and the PC could connect better, but I don't see why PS3 owners get such a great deal compared to what I assume is just a bog standard "that'll do for you, long term fans" that PC and 360 owners will get

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
this is fantastic news to me anyway. now i no longer have to decide which console to buy it on (i have both PC and PS3), i just buy it on PS3 and get PC for free. PSN trophies from PC gameplay, huzzah!

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Significantly less content for PC gamers?
I sure hope that doesn't mean "Less levels, less patches, less story" or anything like that.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ok this has cemented my purchase of the PS3 version.

One thing i dont think anyone has bothered to mention, but you can play what is effectively splitscreen if you have a PC, PS3 and good internet.

My 360 sisters actually, she just wont take it out of my room, hasnt seen much action. With this itll probably fall to pieces by the time something i want to do with it comes up.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Baby Tea said:
ookie37 said:
nothing has ever given me more viruses or lag then having a steam account.
Weird.
No issues here. Or with my friend who is a Steam fanatic.
No lag, no viruses...and I'm running it on a netbook.
Like I said: Weird.
Steam is easily the laggiest program on my computer (and every computer I've used it on). I still have no idea where the viruses came from, since hosting them on official download servers would be nothing less than stupid on Valve's part.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
my god this is beautiful :')
I just recently got a ps3, so now i will have to constantly debate between whether i want to get a game for PS3, or get it of PC. Now i get both:D or i could even be nice and give it to my friend, then i'd have someone to play co-op with

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Yeah, that just blew my mind. Not only have Valve and Playstation made up, but apparently did some fierce making out, which led to so even fiercer baby making. And that baby is cross platform gaming. Holy freaking cow. The future has started, ladies and trolls. And it looks awesome.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
I don't know if anyone's officially named the bots in the picture yet, but I hereby suggest "Bert and Ernie".

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
As avid steam and ps3 users I'm very intersted in these developments, ps3/pc co-op, downloading pc version of already bought ps3 games (hope this works the other way round as well) and linking of steam and psn accounts, I hope this turns out as good as it sounds.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
BehattedWanderer said:
Yeah, that just blew my mind. Not only have Valve and Playstation made up, but apparently did some fierce making out, which led to so even fiercer baby making. And that baby is cross platform gaming. Holy freaking cow. The future has started, ladies and trolls. And it looks awesome.
Hate to burst your bubble but Microsoft already asexually spawned it with Shadowrun, natrually it was shit because the first thing they thought to try with it was competitive cross-platform multiplayer. Needless to say, PC gamers curb-stomped anyone on the 360 until Microsoft nerfed PC aiming abilities.

If cross platform multiplayer is ever going to work in a compeitive aspect, something needs to be done about the aiming gap. Nerfing PC gamers would alienate them to the game, because they cant get thier aim as fast as theyre used to on thier other PC shooters. High sensitivity with console controls will require clairvoyance to hit anything reliably, and take it from me its still a long shot.