Valve Guy Says British Gamers Need to Speak Up

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Chipperz said:
Therumancer said:
Or to summerize the last two quotes I've gotten. People decided to slam Americans. Instead you got slammed back, hard and accuratly, and now you and Chipperz are throwing a tantrum about it, since you can't even win the "slam" game since you point out problems with America and the job it's doing, and I'm able to be the same way right back at the brits with my "loose" grasp of history (and honestly dude, this is an internet debate. Everything we're discussing is loose... imagine how long these posts would be if either of us started getting into paticulars. We'd turn this into a heated collegiate discussion of the sort not even hardend Academics can 'settle').
I'm... I'm not slamming Americans, I just think it's got to the point where you're so convinced that we're anti-American that it somehow justifies you telling us that, because we had an empire several hundred years ago, that justifies twelve year olds telling us, constantly, to go fuck the queen. This is a fallacy at it's worst, and I'm trying to work out if you believe this, because if you do, it's wrong on so many levels I can't begin to start pulling it apart.

To be honest, the way your posts are going, I don't think even you know what you're arguing any more, there's something about anti-American sentiment in there, and something else about freedom of speech, but I believe that attempting to be more concise in your posting in future may help all of us to work out early on if we're actually arguing the same thing, which I don't think is happening here.

In short? tl;dr.

I originally wasn't going to respond but I will say this:

1. Look at the chronology of the thread, I oftentimes respond to multiple points in one post rather than spamming a forum with 10 short responses.

2. Oftentimes my ranting is because I justify a point I'm making which leads to a tangent. I do this after long experience of people reading a short answer and then saying I'm wrong simply because I didn't justify myself.

3. TL:DR is not an excuse when a thread gets complicated.

At any rate, apologies for any misunderstandings. It seemed pretty straightforward to me. But then again I *AM* disabled as a result of probable brain damage, so I guess it wouldn't surprise me if what's clear to me isn't to everyone else. I've been accused of ranting more than once IRL.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Therumancer said:
Mr Companion said:
Therumancer said:
Suiseiseki IRL said:
Therumancer said:
/snip
Two words for you. WHAT-EVER.

I started off merely assuming you had an uncomfortably strong stiffy for your nationality but nearing the end there I could barely understand what you were trying to say. If I wanted to I could replicate your argument with the sentence "I believe you are misinformed and America is brilliant I hate foreigner's because I have a loose grasp of history and my argument becomes a little wikkle odd now because I start to slurry whirly woo woo woooooo."

But instead of being so childish I will sum up British history for your briefly.

'Empire invents tool of war. Enters an age of invention and discovery. Discovers new land that they would like to reap of resources. There are some natives. Britain sends massive, massive colonisation party fitted with a build your own country toolbox (Weapons, recorces ect)A hundred prosperous year go by and Britain globally acting as a ****. All the natives that found America first are enslaved and all the military is over in America. Britain starts getting on Americas tits. America says, "hang on, we have all the military and all the money. We could start our own empire and stop fecking about with these bastards!"'
And so they did. And then gone on to inherit their former dictators flaws. The end.

Anyway I have no idea why I am responding in such an incoherent and strange way, I guess you must have nicked my sanity somewhere around the point you made assumptions about a British persons mental state and now I cant write in a manner that stupid people like say... you, would be able to understand.

Or to summerize the last two quotes I've gotten. People decided to slam Americans. Instead you got slammed back, hard and accuratly, and now you and Chipperz are throwing a tantrum about it, since you can't even win the "slam" game since you point out problems with America and the job it's doing, and I'm able to be the same way right back at the brits with my "loose" grasp of history (and honestly dude, this is an internet debate. Everything we're discussing is loose... imagine how long these posts would be if either of us started getting into paticulars. We'd turn this into a heated collegiate discussion of the sort not even hardend Academics can 'settle').

The only "serious" point I will address is the bit about America being underequipped and trained to engage in an antiseptic occupation. In the end nobody is equipped or trained for this kind of thing because it ultimatly comes down to how many boots you can put on the ground. The only nations who could conceivably swamp the region with enough people are China or Russia and they probably wouldn't since they would come as actual conquerers rather than trying to engage in a police action. Britan couldn't do it, France couldn't do it, Canada couldn't do it, nobody could succeed better than we have under these circumstances.

A fair criticism on the point is of course that we created the circumstances ourselves through our morality and listening to international comments on the subject more than we should have. You would be entirely correct if you were to point out that engaging in an antiseptic police action of xenophobic religious fanatics that want you dead on their home ground is stupid. The threat could have been more easily addressed by simply wiping the entire region out, which is incidently what our military is designed to do. But we did not do this for a number of reasons, among them the fact that we listened to the rest of the world, and tried to deal with the problem in a moral fashion rather than an effective one.

For people abroad who criticize American action, and their own troops being involved, or whatever else, I am one of those who is quick to point out that they would be even more unhappy had we just leveled the region with WMD and mass bombing (real bombs, not concrete loads). The fact that we didn't largely at the request of other nations, and screaming about 'near genocide' and whatever else (and ignoring the illegal financial ties many of the protesters had to the region). As far as I'm concerned a lot of these troop committments and such became justified when we agreed not to do such things. What's more nobody else's forces in the region seem to be doing any better than we are overall (despite what they might claim) for the same reasons.

When it comes to Britan had someone flown a plane into Parliment as part of a xenocidal religious crusade, I don't think Britan would view things quite the way they do now. Let's not forget that while people cry about the World Trade Center, the Pentagon was also hit, AND there was a third plane on it's way for either The White House, or Capitol Building (it's debatable which) which we were able to stop. It was a decapitation strike aimed at our goverment. I think international critics don't fairly consider how they would react had they been the target. Guaranteed it would be a lot more heavy handed than what the US is doing.

That rant aside, one final point:

I NEVER mentioned the Queen, Tea and Crumpets, or any other mocked-british behaviors. So do NOT act like I did. I responded in a fashion taking Britan very seriously. Countering serious criticism with serious criticism.

If you don't like being knocked back, don't knock others. Let's not forget who threw the first stone here about insulting Americans on chat modes.

This is my final post on the subject. I don't mind others having the last word, but I *DO* hope it's fairly mature.
I am really not sure why you are targeting an argument at me that I have nothing to do with. I am fairly certain I mentioned none of those points. I was simply directing some uncharacteristic hatred towards you for your speech concerning "the British mental state" and "all the things that Britain did which was far worse than what we are doing now". I wont claim that all American movies have villains as British people because they have a subconscious hatred towards our freedom stealing commie ways so I expect the same restraint in presumptuous bullshittery from you. I don't hate America, or Americans. I hate what you have said. Because it is, as the American team speak users would say "retarded" or "Gay".

In any case I have to respect the cherry you put on top of the cake with that final sentence there. Not only did you heavily imply that all the conversation you have had in this subject so far has been un-mature and innate, but also that any further attempts to present an opinion would be childish and innate too. Seeking the comfort of the last word. As if defending your own country throughout an entire forum for what little good that would do is not childish.

"Let's not forget who threw the first stone here about insulting Americans on chat modes."
The Americans who repeatedly insulted other nations languages?

Parallel Streaks

Jan 16, 2008
Once when I was talking to my team in a game of Halo an American guy literally said my accent was "Gayanese", when I responded with "At least it's not White Trash Mispronunciations" I got kicked for harassment.

Talking with an accent that isn't American is a sure fire way to being mocked, but mocking back is hardly polite etiquette.

Damn us different people and our pesky habit of being slightly different. Grrr.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
JimmyBassatti said:
Amnestic said:
Every time I talked on CoD4 I got berated for not being from the US.
Same with Halo 3.

I'd talk more if it didn't distract my team.
Me and you are gonna play some game some time. And I shall make fun of your unsuperior skills. And then laugh SOME MOAR.
Don't want to make it sound like I'm making excuses, but my Uni network blocks both Steam and Xbox Live. I can't game online no matter how much I want to get my ass kicked show you how to shoot that gun like a real man.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
wildpeaks said:
Speak up while they censor my legally purchased uncut game ?
I doubt they'd want to hear what I have to say because it's far from nice or polite.
Well said sir, I completely agree.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Not only am I British, I'm trans. I've never experienced much brit hatred, because people always hear a much bigger target than that to go for.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
I barely chat, if someone wants to be civil and friendly, that is fine. If I get (and have)

"Oh my god you newb you suck so much el oh el. [Insert random homophobic and/or racist remark]"

I remove the mic. I love the concept of talking to people in games...in practice 90% of the time it is annoying to be berated by some angry 13 year old.

I'd like an option where people get reputation and then we say "hey you're civil, go to the civil room as you've been mature adult for a bit, have some like minded people to enjoy with" Now, look that fellow from Yorkshire or Merseyside is a bit chattier.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Parallel Streaks said:
Once when I was talking to my team in a game of Halo an American guy literally said my accent was "Gayanese", when I responded with "At least it's not White Trash Mispronunciations" I got kicked for harassment.

Talking with an accent that isn't American is a sure fire way to being mocked, but mocking back is hardly polite etiquette.

Damn us different people and our pesky habit of being slightly different. Grrr.
I don't get this mindset. English women sound sexy and English men sound either cool or awesome. I have plenty of friend from there and much prefer the character of Geordies or Scousers or Cockneys (get those three in a room, that is fun!)

Who wants a dull lifeless accent, give me some character, as me Brummie mate would say "Op roight yeah mate."

By the way, thank you to our friends over there, Remembrance Day and all, and we're allies so appreciate your sacrifice along side our boys.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
That's actually an excellent idea for a game mode. And I rarely hear British people talking. But when I do, some high voiced 12 year old makes fun of their accent. So I can understand why you wouldn't want to talk.

Aug 21, 2008
Americans talk too much, and have stupid, jumbled irish-jewish-italian-latino-african accent, with a little bit of 'Briddish' still clinging on. Everyone knows it. Why are Brits being teased for talking in their native tongue when the American accent is so ridiculous it would actually astonish anybody from 100 years ago? Keeping your mouth shut is a surefire way to stop yourself saying something you don't mean. Intelligent people aren't loudmouths. Maybe American gamers need to keep it down, yeah?

Aug 21, 2008
JimmyBassatti said:
Amnestic said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Amnestic said:
Every time I talked on CoD4 I got berated for not being from the US.
Same with Halo 3.

I'd talk more if it didn't distract my team.
Me and you are gonna play some game some time. And I shall make fun of your unsuperior skills. And then laugh SOME MOAR.
Don't want to make it sound like I'm making excuses, but my Uni network blocks both Steam and Xbox Live. I can't game online no matter how much I want to get my ass kicked show you how to shoot that gun like a real man.
LEETLE MAN NO KNOW HOW TO SHOOT! CRY SOME MOAR!
Big man probably couldn't even do the 50 pushups required to get into the real military, am I right?

Jenova65

Oct 3, 2009
Spatzist said:
Hybridwolf said:
Because we get asked irrating questions, or are repeatedly told "we saved your arse in world war 1/2"

Not funny.
Reading that gave me a sudden thought... According to Wikipedia, over 416,000 U.S. military personnel died in World War II. And this is how their sacrifice is remembered. "Saving Britain's ass"... They may be insulting the British, but even other Americans have every right to be pissed at moron comments like that.
With all due respect (truly, not sarcasm) Firstly a bit of a technicality, you do know that WWII wasn't our war at all, we didn't need to fight (Hitler wanted us onside) we did however for the most part of the war do our level best to protect the occupied countries and free them pretty much on our own. Your figures mean nothing out of context, which they are (a bit) Pearl Harbour is the reason the USA joined, not Britain asking for our arses to be saved. You conveniently miss out the actual math of loss

United Kingdom 47,760,000(population 1939) 382,700 (military deaths) 67,100 (civilian deaths) 449,800 (total) 0.94% percentage

United States 131,028,000(pop 1939) 416,800 (military deaths) 1,700 (civilian deaths) 418,500 (total) 0.32% percentage

So yes it is insulting, very!!! Why do you seem to think that only America sacrificed? We sacrificed more, for longer from a way smaller population, for freedom for all not just Britain (which as I have previously pointed out did not have to be our war, we were not attacked we stood to be counted for the sake of countries that were not our own) We held back the might of Europe for years, alone! America's sacrifice was great, so was ours and only a small part of the ties that bind our two wonderful countries so it saddens me when we fight like kids (me? love America? Erm YEAH, IRL the Americans I have met have been lovely and I would live there at the drop of a hat) The OT point I am trying to make here is that we were asked about our silence and answered honestly, and the uncomfortable truth is (given the full figures)we don't like it when we are told you saved us, when if that were the truth of the matter one might ask what took you so long to come to the defence of your so called friends?
I love America, love Americans but truth is truth, Americans do this.... too much, even in jest. This whole thread only assures me that my choice to not play online is justified and that if I did play it would be voiceless! :-(
Still luv you all though.................. :)

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Ammadessi said:
Replace "go drink some tea" with "get back in the kitchen where you belong" and maybe Valve would understand why female gamers aren't big on using mics either.
That, the constant invitations to private chat, the heavy breathing/lewd suggestions... and the abuse when you tell the person concerned you're not interested...

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Completely ignoring the accent thing for a moment (and the fact that I have no intention of ever playing Left 4 Dead, because this applies to any game), shouldn't they be encouraging less chatter rather than more?

I might be in the minority here (because, if I'm honest, I'm turning into a grumpy old young man) but, not only do I refuse to speak in multiplayer games, but I have everyone else muted too. Fact is, Xbox Live is full of morons and frankly I could do without the distraction of having to listen to some unruly child shouting a load of nonsense or racial/homophobic epithets down a microphone at nobody in particular while I'm trying to land a double kickflip over a stair rail.

Still ignoring the accent thing for the sake of discussion*... even from my British point of view, America can't really take all the blame and I don't understand why some people can't see that. I'm quite willing to accept that it's just a matter of proportion - it seems like there's a lot of American morons on there because there's more Americans as a whole than any other nationality. If all nations were equally represented, there'd be just as many morons from the UK, Canada, Australia, France, etc.

* [small]Of course, if we take the accent thing into account, Americans are by far the most likely to throw abuse at a British person. Sorry, that's just how it goes.[/small]

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
IckleMissMayhem said:
Ammadessi said:
Replace "go drink some tea" with "get back in the kitchen where you belong" and maybe Valve would understand why female gamers aren't big on using mics either.
That, the constant invitations to private chat, the heavy breathing/lewd suggestions... and the abuse when you tell the person concerned you're not interested...
The best way to fuck with them is to go along with it and then casually mention that you have a schwingschwang.

Obviously you don't, but it makes them hate themselves, which is hilarious.