Valve Guy Says British Gamers Need to Speak Up

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Amnestic said:
Therumancer said:
Yes, you're certianly top dog. Remind me again how the Best Country In the World's military offensives are going in Afghanistan after 8 years?

Or how your economy is doing? What's the deficit up to now?

Or! Let's move on to firearms homicide rates [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence#Homicides_by_country].

And teen pregnancy rates [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_pregnancy#Global_incidence] - guess that education system you're paying through the nose for is paying off.

How about obesity/overweight rates? [http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/overwt.htm]

Or perhaps your government? With someone who could barely operate a computer less than a year ago trying to push a Net Neutrality bill through Congress? Clearly there's no companies pushing their own personal views via donations there. Oh no, your government is a bastion of purity.

Not to mention your political system being so wraught with pathetic party politics, underhanded dealings, lobby interest groups and voter apathy. The vast majority of your citizens seemingly have no qualms with quoting the Constitution having never even read it.

Best country in the world - Ha! By what standards?

I've not even got a real beef with Americans or America as a whole. When I visited eight years ago, most everyone I met was a decent enough person. Don't pull "Best country in the world" on me though, because there's no such thing. And if there was, it certainly isn't America.

The day your economy collapses because of reliance on Chinese Loans [http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/23/opinion/23iht-edchina.3259616.html] and the like will be a day in which the planet turns its head at the once great giant who had it all and blew it away in their own arrogance and sheds a single tear because of what they could have been and what they weren't.

So once again - I ask you, "Best Country"? By what standards?

Yes, I am awfully ill-informed about this, for I am just a poor, stupid Brit. :(

Okay, for starters the point is that if people are going to be nationalistic, I have the right to be also.

If you want to get more serious than that, it's going to get way off subject. However I will point out a few things:

#1: The reason why our military is not doing so well is because we're not using it properly. It was never intended to be a police force, but a "go in and kill everything" force. Hence one of the reasons why we went scrambling to get armored hummers and such which we didn't have in large numbers because we never intended the military to be doing the job it is now.

We decided to go for a "smaller, better armed force" relying on things like our abillity to decimate cities, collapse buildings, and other assorted things if we were to engage in a war. All the technology to turn 5,000 people into hamburger inside a second means nothing if the politicians decide to go in and deal with insurgents with guns, by using soldiers with guns. When we fight them man to man, gun to gun, we lose like 99% of what makes our military powerful.

You could argue that we were stupid to go there and fight the war under these terms, and I would agree with you. I won't go into any more details on engagement doctrine or how it should have been handled since that will go off in other political directions (and has been dicussed in other posts).

Basically though the fact that we have been doing things like loading our missles with concrete to avoid doing too much damage summarizes why I think anyone who judges what the American military can do by these engagements is foolish.

I will also point out that I see our morality as a weakness, the very fact that we have engaged under these terms has a lot to do with us listening to the rest of the world, and caring what others think to an unhealthy extent. The British Empire and other dominant world powers before us wouldn't have bothered.

We could have erased The Middle East pretty much, but we chose not to despite everything. I'm not entirely sure other nations would have been as merciful as we were under the same circumstances. In general as a dominant world power the US has been open to global input to an unprecedented extent. Compare this to say Russia who pretty much does whatever they want and doesn't much care what anyone else says.

#2: The American Deficit again comes about from the US being too nice. A lot is said about the things we buy globally to prop up economies, the duties we perform globally, and of course about the fact that we honor agreements for "loans" which amounted to tribute at the time like they were actually loans.

The US could be in much better shape economically if we chose to pretty much worry about the US exclusively. As it is, a lot of the money we borrow is actually used to help prop up various aspects of the global infrastructure that has become dependant on us.

Understand that for all of the "Deficit" we're still the first person countries go to (especially in the third world) when they need a hand out or relief.

We could be a lot more ruthless and self centered economically. This is not to say we're total pantywaists when it comes to trade, but basically for everything you hear about what a ruthless group of sharks we are, you also hear about how we're basically operating as an international "Meals On Wheels".

#3: I do not consider things like gunshot homicides to be a bad thing. It's a sign of freedom on a lot of levels. The populance neither being defenseless, or totally at the mercy of law enforcement.

In the end a lot of countries might have less in the way of violence statistics (at least as far as they get to see) but also have coorespondingly less freedom despite what they might think. A key example of this is France for example, which likes to present itself as being as free as America, but they are also a lot more closed culturally, and despite their pretensions do not have freedom of speech or freedom of the press at American levels as things like the "Oil For Food" scandal demonstrate.

Given that the US is a cultural melting pot, that tolerates behaviors and differances that most other countries simply don't (whether they admit it or not), with empowered civilians, etc... I think we do a very good job here walking the line that we do. Sure we COULD have less violence, but that would come at the expense of the freedoms we have now.

-

Is America the best? Well to be honest it's the only system I know of that I feel could work globally. Most other stable nations I know of achieve that stability by being well behind the US in some areas like personal freedom even if they choose not to admit it or see things that way.

You look at say Japan, or France and their violence statistics for example, but then you look at their govermental policies/civil liberties compared to the US, how powerless the citizens are in general (What do you do if they come for you?), and of course the fact that for all comments about civil liberties if you look around in a typical crowd in say Japan everyone is Japanese, it's not like the US where you can spot differant ethnicities in pretty much any crowd. In France in most places nearly everyone is white. France also holds on to strong immigration policies (which is why it nearly decided not to join the EU, for fear that it would allow other europeans to come into France and claim the benefits of being French0.

Other nations can go "look! we're tolerant!" but it's not taken to the same level as the US, which is one of the reasons why I don't think their system COULD work on a global scale. It hasn't seen the same trial by fire. By the same token I think it's the existance of the US and it's affects on global culture that has made it so that other nations are stiving to at least be seen as tolerant.

When it comes to things like the right to bear arms, I suppose I'll explain in slightly more detail. See in the US if someone passes a law, you still need to get the cops to enforce that law. In the US it requires some thought because in the end some cop has to go through a door to get a citizen who might very well be armed. This isn't that big a deal when your dealing with armed individuals, or small groups of individuals, it it means that the goverment has to be VERY careful not to start a civil war (limiting what it can do), and also to avoid passng laws that might very well have cops go "no... I am NOT going to risk getting myself blown away over something like that" (which has happened before, especially with state and local ordinances. You don't see it very often but there have been threatened police strikes, and similar actions in the past).

In a lot of other countries without an armed populance, "will the people stand for it?" is less of an question, as is "will our police be willing to risk their lives to enforce this?".

See, the American attitude is supposed to be one where the goverment is afraid of/serves the people, as opposed to the people being afraid of and serving the goverment. It's a distinction of attitude a lot of countries do not possess, and one of the things that makes the US system one of the best.

See, in the US we have all kinds of wierd dramas about the hypothetical possibility of a goverment going out of control, disappearing people, or whatever else. The thing is that in other countries the goverment has the abillity to do such things if it ever decides to ignore the rules. For example the French Goverment could probably disappear someone a bit more easily than the US goverment could since the French goverment has more direct control over the press/communication, not to mention less of a risk involved of someone objecting to being disappeared with firearms (making things potentially messier) not to mention to what happens if such things get out of control and you wind up with GROUPS of people eventually objecting.

In the US a lot of the "hypothetical conspiricy theories" would end with a lot of Waco type standoffs, and outright warfare with the equivilent of militia groups. One of the reasons why they are laughably implausible here (among many reasons). In other countries they become less so, becuse things that would require a conspiricy in the US are already abillities possesed by the goverment in some other countries.

-

Feel free to disagree, I'm not going to argue this anymore as it's getting well off topic. Fine, you don't think the US is the best country. Just as I can be nationalistic, so can everyone else (which is pretty much what started this... I mean everyone EXCEPT Americans being able to be nationalistic seems to be the undeclared rule).

We could argue this stuff to infinity and beyond. "Who has the best country" is an arguement without a definitive answer, which is why we haven't exactly come together under a global culture yet.

mightybozz

Aug 20, 2009
toasterslayer said:
from what I gathered from this thread:
1. americans are boisterous and chatty
2. Britians are quiet and arrogant

lovely, but I'd perfer the chatty
Yeah that's pretty much the deal - we feel quietly superior and happy to get on with our own thing. But I generally find Brits more chatty when there's only other Brits in the game. It's probably mainly a reaction to the shrieking, swearing American children - we automatically choose to show superiority by shutting the hell up and destroying them,
Me, I'd prefer quiet and arrogant any day.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Most every time we talk, we're greeted with 'Do you want some tea and crumpets?!' or something along those lines.

That's why XBL Parties are great!

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
I'm Irish, and personally, I prefer not talking because of a very small number of very simple reasons.

1: Americans, by and large, are obnoxious assholes who have nothing better to do than pick fights on the internet. They attempt to slag me because of my accent, after which I proceed to say "Yes, I might say 'Aye' and all that, but in fairness, you sound 12." which really pisses them off, and then they go on a massive rant about how they "fucked my mom". So yeah, that's not happening.

2: Then there's the ones who are just overtalkative, and when you say one word, they'll start blabbering away about what they've done in the game. I'm all for being friendly and all (most of the time), but that's taking friendliness and running it about 300 miles too far.

3: I actually like talking on Team Fortress 2 on the PC, because I can choose where the server I play in is based, rather than having matchmaking decide for me. I still like matchmaking and all, but I do like playing TF2 because I get to talk to less arrogant people who are actually fairly sound.

I could probably think of more reasons, but I'll leave it at that.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
I have the problem that every American i speak to seems to be a complete moron.
This is by no means an insult, just a casual observation.
Yet when playing on British servers, or with other Brits, The mic is on. And all is good.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
One time I was on Der Reise on COD:WAW and I had 25 straight minutes of some Americans being either very sarcastic and not quite pulling it off, or being genuinely amazed that my name was Liam.

Most of the time it's some annoying dick little 12 year old screaming what weapon he's got, screaming to come and save him when he's ran headlong into a horde of zombies for the 13th time, or screaming at someone else in the team.

That said, mics are vital to co-op online games imo, and I always talk, although most of the time, nobody listens. I think valve should perhaps try and address the ignorancy issue before they start saying things like this.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Well the stereotypes of 8 year olds and frat boys on Live have to come from somewhere and are unfortunately true in some cases. I only use a headset on games were the community aren't dicks.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Chipperz said:
I think being asked if we want tea and crumpets every time we talk makes us less inclined to the whole idea.

If VALVe find a way to get rid of all the idiots on the internet, I might get a new headset.

EDIT - also, what's that picture? it's awesome!
Amnestic said:
Every time I talked on CoD4 I got berated for not being from the US.
Same with Halo 3.

I'd talk more if it didn't distract my team.
Hybridwolf said:
Because we get asked irrating questions, or are repeatedly told "we saved your arse in world war 1/2"

Not funny.
Squid94 said:
Last time I (as a British person) said something in an online game (Call of Duty, I believe), I had my accent taken the piss out of. Sorry, but you guys are "notorious" for that kind of stuff. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of American friends, but I've met some reeeal pricks.

/rant.
Exactly, different games, same problem. I have met a handful of cool American gamers who have been enjoyable to game with, but the vast majority have been pricks, that actually goes for most people with mics in general, but most of those are from the US.

It's kind of weird really, because on the original Xbox Live I didn't come across it as much, people seemed fairly friendly, it's only on the 360 I started going into Private Chat/Parties/Muting.

Ammadessi said:
Replace "go drink some tea" with "get back in the kitchen where you belong" and maybe Valve would understand why female gamers aren't big on using mics either.
Never heard that one myself, but every time I am in a game with a female gamer the guys always flirt, so I can see why they'd stay quiet in that respect too.

MasterKirov

Nov 8, 2009
Apparently, according to my younger brother (who's a WAY bigger gamer than i am), talking in servers means your a n00b. I'm not sure if this is cross country or if this is exclusively a British thing, but it shows how perceptions have changed.

Honestly, I'm starting to return to Xbox Live, and i'm surprised at the changes - what were once chatty games are now eerily quiet.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
You know what I am going to do now? Im gonna get a mic for my birthday and speak in an exaggerated and stereotypical British accent just to get on this guys tits. I am British, and I don't speak up. But that is because I see no situation where my immediate input would help. There is a zombie behind you? By the time I mention it he will already have you. An ally is not doing the tactics right? I can type it in quickly to set him straight.

And while we are on the subject I would like to say the following.

'You Americans are notoriously loud-mouth griefing bastards. But in our new difficulty mode "decent human being mode" that wont work. Because the game automatically detects rick asterly's voice and bans the user. In addition any American child with a voice high pitched enough to cut cleanly through a mans sanity will be altered to a lower pitched less annoying voice.'

Ps: I don't hate Amaricans I hate the idea that british people need to be gobby bastards to play L4D 2 which, incidentally, I was not going to buy anyway.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Therumancer said:
Sooo... Your entire argument is that, because America isn't properly equipped and trained to fight a war in Iraq... We should be forced to listen to bullshit about fucking the queen?

I'm just trying to get your bullshit straight because somewhere along the line, you got put on the mother of all tangents. I think my basic response is "fuck you", but I want to make sure I've got you right.

Shadow Daeris

Aug 31, 2009
i would but every time i talk in any kind of 360 game with americans it seems i always get the really annoying one going on about "oh yeah i fucked your mom so hard last night stupid british prick" and it doesn't exactly inspire me to talking much on games. either that or they're going on about "i live in the greatest country in the world" yeah. britain used to own 2/3rds of the world and we fell... all great things rise and fall with the times. america is no different. although i have met a few of the american populace who are actually pleasant to talk to. it's just the annoying bratty little shits that have an entirety of "your mom" jokes that ticks me off the most. seriously it's a stupid insult imo. btw tell me if i'm ranting please lol.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Therumancer said:
Suiseiseki IRL said:
Therumancer said:
/snip
Two words for you. WHAT-EVER.

I started off merely assuming you had an uncomfortably strong stiffy for your nationality but nearing the end there I could barely understand what you were trying to say. If I wanted to I could replicate your argument with the sentence "I believe you are misinformed and America is brilliant I hate foreigner's because I have a loose grasp of history and my argument becomes a little wikkle odd now because I start to slurry whirly woo woo woooooo."

But instead of being so childish I will sum up British history for your briefly.

'Empire invents tool of war. Enters an age of invention and discovery. Discovers new land that they would like to reap of resources. There are some natives. Britain sends massive, massive colonisation party fitted with a build your own country toolbox (Weapons, recorces ect)A hundred prosperous year go by and Britain globally acting as a ****. All the natives that found America first are enslaved and all the military is over in America. Britain starts getting on Americas tits. America says, "hang on, we have all the military and all the money. We could start our own empire and stop fecking about with these bastards!"'
And so they did. And then gone on to inherit their former dictators flaws. The end.

Anyway I have no idea why I am responding in such an incoherent and strange way, I guess you must have nicked my sanity somewhere around the point you made assumptions about a British persons mental state and now I cant write in a manner that stupid people like say... you, would be able to understand.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
Trist66 said:
haha i try to be nice to all aussies and brits in the world. I just ask them questions and shit, and the one that everyone thinks is funny is when i ask them to do an american accent.

And you wouldnt believe how many of them just talk like their from texas.
Americans are all from Texas, and Brits are all upper class twits ;)

(I'm British... and not an upperclass twit, lol)

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I don't talk because I need my utmost concentration, that way, I help the team a lot more.

To be honest, I don't really like randomly talking to a server of people I don't know. I'll only use my headset if I'm on a game with friends I know in real life.

Also, since when has it become essential that we talk?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Mr Companion said:
Therumancer said:
Suiseiseki IRL said:
Therumancer said:
/snip
Two words for you. WHAT-EVER.

I started off merely assuming you had an uncomfortably strong stiffy for your nationality but nearing the end there I could barely understand what you were trying to say. If I wanted to I could replicate your argument with the sentence "I believe you are misinformed and America is brilliant I hate foreigner's because I have a loose grasp of history and my argument becomes a little wikkle odd now because I start to slurry whirly woo woo woooooo."

But instead of being so childish I will sum up British history for your briefly.

'Empire invents tool of war. Enters an age of invention and discovery. Discovers new land that they would like to reap of resources. There are some natives. Britain sends massive, massive colonisation party fitted with a build your own country toolbox (Weapons, recorces ect)A hundred prosperous year go by and Britain globally acting as a ****. All the natives that found America first are enslaved and all the military is over in America. Britain starts getting on Americas tits. America says, "hang on, we have all the military and all the money. We could start our own empire and stop fecking about with these bastards!"'
And so they did. And then gone on to inherit their former dictators flaws. The end.

Anyway I have no idea why I am responding in such an incoherent and strange way, I guess you must have nicked my sanity somewhere around the point you made assumptions about a British persons mental state and now I cant write in a manner that stupid people like say... you, would be able to understand.

Or to summerize the last two quotes I've gotten. People decided to slam Americans. Instead you got slammed back, hard and accuratly, and now you and Chipperz are throwing a tantrum about it, since you can't even win the "slam" game since you point out problems with America and the job it's doing, and I'm able to be the same way right back at the brits with my "loose" grasp of history (and honestly dude, this is an internet debate. Everything we're discussing is loose... imagine how long these posts would be if either of us started getting into paticulars. We'd turn this into a heated collegiate discussion of the sort not even hardend Academics can 'settle').

The only "serious" point I will address is the bit about America being underequipped and trained to engage in an antiseptic occupation. In the end nobody is equipped or trained for this kind of thing because it ultimatly comes down to how many boots you can put on the ground. The only nations who could conceivably swamp the region with enough people are China or Russia and they probably wouldn't since they would come as actual conquerers rather than trying to engage in a police action. Britan couldn't do it, France couldn't do it, Canada couldn't do it, nobody could succeed better than we have under these circumstances.

A fair criticism on the point is of course that we created the circumstances ourselves through our morality and listening to international comments on the subject more than we should have. You would be entirely correct if you were to point out that engaging in an antiseptic police action of xenophobic religious fanatics that want you dead on their home ground is stupid. The threat could have been more easily addressed by simply wiping the entire region out, which is incidently what our military is designed to do. But we did not do this for a number of reasons, among them the fact that we listened to the rest of the world, and tried to deal with the problem in a moral fashion rather than an effective one.

For people abroad who criticize American action, and their own troops being involved, or whatever else, I am one of those who is quick to point out that they would be even more unhappy had we just leveled the region with WMD and mass bombing (real bombs, not concrete loads). The fact that we didn't largely at the request of other nations, and screaming about 'near genocide' and whatever else (and ignoring the illegal financial ties many of the protesters had to the region). As far as I'm concerned a lot of these troop committments and such became justified when we agreed not to do such things. What's more nobody else's forces in the region seem to be doing any better than we are overall (despite what they might claim) for the same reasons.

When it comes to Britan had someone flown a plane into Parliment as part of a xenocidal religious crusade, I don't think Britan would view things quite the way they do now. Let's not forget that while people cry about the World Trade Center, the Pentagon was also hit, AND there was a third plane on it's way for either The White House, or Capitol Building (it's debatable which) which we were able to stop. It was a decapitation strike aimed at our goverment. I think international critics don't fairly consider how they would react had they been the target. Guaranteed it would be a lot more heavy handed than what the US is doing.

That rant aside, one final point:

I NEVER mentioned the Queen, Tea and Crumpets, or any other mocked-british behaviors. So do NOT act like I did. I responded in a fashion taking Britan very seriously. Countering serious criticism with serious criticism.

If you don't like being knocked back, don't knock others. Let's not forget who threw the first stone here about insulting Americans on chat modes.

This is my final post on the subject. I don't mind others having the last word, but I *DO* hope it's fairly mature.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
The very first time I played L4D online was with 3 other british people and they were awesome. Chatted away like crazy, and encouraged me even though I was pants. Never had a game as good since. It's either hardcore superior knob jockeys who berate you for doing anything they consider wrong or lonewolf types who shot the car and then run into the safe house to watch you get eaten by their stupidity.

Having said that I've had quite a few awesome games of L4D, even finished it on expert after about 6hrs!!!

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Therumancer said:
Or to summerize the last two quotes I've gotten. People decided to slam Americans. Instead you got slammed back, hard and accuratly, and now you and Chipperz are throwing a tantrum about it, since you can't even win the "slam" game since you point out problems with America and the job it's doing, and I'm able to be the same way right back at the brits with my "loose" grasp of history (and honestly dude, this is an internet debate. Everything we're discussing is loose... imagine how long these posts would be if either of us started getting into paticulars. We'd turn this into a heated collegiate discussion of the sort not even hardend Academics can 'settle').
I'm... I'm not slamming Americans, I just think it's got to the point where you're so convinced that we're anti-American that it somehow justifies you telling us that, because we had an empire several hundred years ago, that justifies twelve year olds telling us, constantly, to go fuck the queen. This is a fallacy at it's worst, and I'm trying to work out if you believe this, because if you do, it's wrong on so many levels I can't begin to start pulling it apart.

To be honest, the way your posts are going, I don't think even you know what you're arguing any more, there's something about anti-American sentiment in there, and something else about freedom of speech, but I believe that attempting to be more concise in your posting in future may help all of us to work out early on if we're actually arguing the same thing, which I don't think is happening here.

In short? tl;dr.