Valve hates console gamers?

Kamelmann

Nov 26, 2008
The Shade said:
somerandomaaron said:
They didn't even make the Orange Box for the PS3, so ohwell.
I respectively disagree.

http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Box-Playstation-3/dp/B000PE0HBI
What the good fellow meant comrade was that they didnt port it for the PS3 themselves.. Valve outsourced it because PS3 coding scares them.. and ate their kittens.. ;___; which explains why the port was utterly terrible.. and them not 'making' (read: porting) it for the PS3..

0_o

Kif

Jun 2, 2009
I think you're misinterpreting business decisions and platform hang-ups for an emotional response.

Most of the issues Valve have with the Xbox 360 lie at the feet of Microsoft having rules and system limitations on the system whereas Steam is a Valve product therefore they can do with it what they will and charge whatever they feel like charging for content (which is largely nothing).

As for the PS3, by now we are all well aware of how difficult it is to code for in comparison to the other consoles, so if things take a little while longer or aren't quite as good I would say a fair portion of the blame lies with Sony for trying to re-invent the wheel or as someone else hypothesized trying to become the new standard.

matnatz

Oct 21, 2008
Well considering the amount of hate PC gaming usually gets from most of the big companies it just seems fair that one of them dislikes consoles.

Icedshot

Jul 13, 2009
Valve are making the tf2 updates for xbox, but at the moment they are having to work around memory constraints (this has been posted like 3 times now)

RRilef

Dangerfield Newby
Jan 5, 2009
megapenguinx said:
Ciarang said:
The reason valve haven't updated the 360 version of TF2 is because they're finding ways to get around the memory limit for the 360 ( or something along those lines )
I actually think that's an excuse to get away with the whole thing. Valve honestly dislikes console gamers. Its been 2 years, they are never going to do it.
Time plays absolutely no role in whether Valve will update release a game etc... You could argue the same thing for the PC. At the rate valve is going they will be supporting TF2 for the PC 2.5 years after release. October last year they updated HL. At that time Half Life was out for nearly 10 years.

apsham said:
They're going to focus on that and shovel out some crap so that the console gamers can buy what they don't have a computer to run.. but fuck it being supported.
So far Valve has released 2 games for consoles. The first of which they nearly pushed the 360 to its memory limits and to add more stuff, have to change almost everything. This means they haven't updated more than simple bugfixes. The second game they have updated with the PC and have even gotten one of their major updates to be free despite Microsoft's money grubbing hands.

S_K

Nov 16, 2007
as already said by the shade the only proof is their hate of ps3, everything else far as I know is just the hardware limits of consoles, it's just not as easy to keep releasing updates x.x

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
I thought that hardware limitations and Microsofts seeming dislike of free DLC is what has held back the XBox from updates. Valve is primarily a PC company. So I guess each console release is basically a port, and they almost always have black spots.

I don't think they hate consoles, it's just that they have to keep sanding the PC box pieces so they fit into console shaped boxes.

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
I think Valve want to keep their image as a developer for the players not for the games and money. Thus they release free content continually. Having Console release DLC would ruin their image since Microsoft is a bunch of greedy asses and will charge for them.

And yeah their "Steam Machine" is definitely their moneymaker. There's so many games on Steam right now that look good. Not to mention some classics. I know many people that got Steam when they bought Half Life or Counter Strike or w/e, and then got sucked into the Steam store and ended up buying Crysis, F.E.A.R., and the entire damn ID collection! (Yeah the sell the whole thing in one bundle from Quake to Doom to Hexen to Wolfenstein and even Commander Keen!)

Dr Ampersand

Jun 27, 2009
So the main points are memory constraints and the fact they don't want people to pay for DLC I gather?

cyrad

Dec 24, 2008
xxcloud417xx said:
I'm hearing a lot of my friends complaining that they got no TF2 upgrades and etc. for a long long time. I'm also thinking of the whole Steam community and the fact that PC gamers get it so much easier to download mods and additional content for their Valve software. Does this mean that Valve prefers the PC gamers?
Jeez, with 1000 posts, I thought you would have read the articles about Valve's stance on console gaming and their developer blogs.

Anyway, no, they don't hate console gamers. There's many reasons why they focus on PC game development...

1) Valve is a PC Game developer. They've always been since the very beginning. Every console game they made was a port for the sake of expanding their market.

2) Valve's ambitions lie with improving PC gaming. Valve introduced Steam to improve the PC Gaming industry for both developers and gamers alike. Can you really expect them to have a preference for console game development after they've went through the trouble of creating digital distribution service to benefit PC gamers and developers? Don't forget the fact that XBox 360's digital distribution service is not only inferior, but also Microsoft takes a chunk out of their profits.

3) Valve's PC gamer fanbase is larger. There's a massive community of gamers and modders on the PC. If it's not communities surrounding Valve games, it's communities surrounding mods of Valve games. It would be stupid for Valve to prefer pleasing the their PC gamer community over a minority console gamers.

4) XBox cannot handle TF2 updates. Like Valve said here [http://teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2394], the TF2 updates are too overwhelming for the XBox 360 and Xbox Live. You may argue that they were able to update L4D, but L4D had nowhere near the kind of updates TF2 has. TF2 gets at least 2 to 3 maps, new weapons, occasionally a new gamemode, and considerable gameplay tweaks roughly every 3 to 4 months. Left 4 Dead received only ONE major update through nearly an entire year with the only actual new content being a small map that sucks.

5) PC is simply the best platform for their games. Aside from their games being FPSs, every major game requires continual updates, which the PC makes easy, especially with Steam. Then there's the Source SDK that allows mods, something either impossible or extremely difficult to make for a console. Finally, there's only one console that's suitable for their games. Wii lacks the graphical and networking capabilities, and Sony intentionally made the PS3 the biggest pain in the butt to develop and port for.

6) It takes more time, effort, and money to develop for consoles than PC. Making games for consoles can be a pain, especially for a developer whose main platform is PC. Aside from the hardware compatibility issues, there's also the licensing, marketing, and manufacturing. Every platform requires the game to be separately manufactured and licensed. They also have to be much more careful about bugs because if the game ships with bugs, it's a lot harder to fix them than if you released on PC, an issue that multiplies due to the fact they're developing on a different hardware platform. This takes more time and money for a audience that I previously stated

So it's not that they hate console gamers. Valve is a PC game developer that occasionally makes ports to consoles. There's no sense in criticizing a developer for focusing their attention on the platform that's best for their games.

Fallingwater

Mar 20, 2009
Proteus214 said:
Consoles have more limitations and are therefore more difficult to program for. Which is why lots of developers embrace the PC.
Don't forget the licensing system.

As for the original topic: Valve mainly makes FPS games. PCs are far more suited for FPS games than consoles. How is it surprising that Valve prefer the PC?

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Gerazzi said:
It's easier to develop on the PC.
Trust me.
That's probably why your beloved DLC costs money.
Nooo... It costs more because MicroSoft loves money.

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
cyrad said:
xxcloud417xx said:
I'm hearing a lot of my friends complaining that they got no TF2 upgrades and etc. for a long long time. I'm also thinking of the whole Steam community and the fact that PC gamers get it so much easier to download mods and additional content for their Valve software. Does this mean that Valve prefers the PC gamers?
Jeez, with 1000 posts, I thought you would have read the articles about Valve's stance on console gaming and their developer blogs.

Anyway, no, they don't hate console gamers. There's many reasons why they focus on PC game development...

1) Valve is a PC Game developer. They've always been since the very beginning. Every console game they made was a port for the sake of expanding their market.

2) Valve's ambitions lie with improving PC gaming. Valve introduced Steam to improve the PC Gaming industry for both developers and gamers alike. Can you really expect them to have a preference for console game development after they've went through the trouble of creating digital distribution service to benefit PC gamers and developers? Don't forget the fact that XBox 360's digital distribution service is not only inferior, but also Microsoft takes a chunk out of their profits.

3) Valve's PC gamer fanbase is larger. There's a massive community of gamers and modders on the PC. If it's not communities surrounding Valve games, it's communities surrounding mods of Valve games. It would be stupid for Valve to prefer pleasing the their PC gamer community over a minority console gamers.

4) XBox cannot handle TF2 updates. Like Valve said here [http://teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2394], the TF2 updates are too overwhelming for the XBox 360 and Xbox Live. You may argue that they were able to update L4D, but L4D had nowhere near the kind of updates TF2 has. TF2 gets at least 2 to 3 maps, new weapons, occasionally a new gamemode, and considerable gameplay tweaks roughly every 3 to 4 months. Left 4 Dead received only ONE major update through nearly an entire year with the only actual new content being a small map that sucks.

5) PC is simply the best platform for their games. Aside from their games being FPSs, every major game requires continual updates, which the PC makes easy, especially with Steam. Then there's the Source SDK that allows mods, something either impossible or extremely difficult to make for a console. Finally, there's only one console that's suitable for their games. Wii lacks the graphical and networking capabilities, and Sony intentionally made the PS3 the biggest pain in the butt to develop and port for.

6) It takes more time, effort, and money to develop for consoles than PC. Making games for consoles can be a pain, especially for a developer whose main platform is PC. Aside from the hardware compatibility issues, there's also the licensing, marketing, and manufacturing. Every platform requires the game to be separately manufactured and licensed. They also have to be much more careful about bugs because if the game ships with bugs, it's a lot harder to fix them than if you released on PC, an issue that multiplies due to the fact they're developing on a different hardware platform. This takes more time and money for a audience that I previously stated

So it's not that they hate console gamers. Valve is a PC game developer that occasionally makes ports to consoles. There's no sense in criticizing a developer for focusing their attention on the platform that's best for their games.
pretty nice rundown of it all. Oh don't let the posts fool you, just cuz I have a lot it doesn't mean I only read threads about Valve. :p (I'm actually very rarely on the Video game discussion forum.) But yeah I totally agree that Valve is a lot smarter for preferring their PC market, since it is a lot larger, my main question that I wanted to answer with this thread is if there's another reason they're not releasing more Console content, not just a pre-established fanbase. It has been answered though, it would cost money, which is the total opposite of what Valve wants (or at least what they've been showing the consumer) when it comes to DLC, and also there are several technical issues related to porting and memory.

Also I hope no one gets me wrong, I'm not here to complain about it too, I'm a hardcore PC gamer, and I love Steam.

Retrofraction

Nov 29, 2008
They have always like the PC better.

If you look at all of thier games they are made on PC first then ported to 360/PS3

I don't think that they hatethe 360/PS3 but, that they hate having to redo all the codes just to port a game.

It would be rather frustraiting in my opinon.

I think that the 360 gets favortism mainly because it's coding is just about the same a the PC.

Lemur_Ninja

Aug 6, 2009
Valve doesn't hate it's console gamers. The reason they aren't releasing updates for Team Fortress 2 is because of the memory limit. The Orange Box was barely released due to the amount of memory needed and the updates will barely make it as well. Microsoft is going to charge for the updates, it was not Valve's choice in the matter. Valve just makes updates, Microsoft charges for them. As for the PS3, Valve believes the console isn't the best choice for their games, mainly the controller scheme.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
The Austin said:
Pretty mutch.
The L4D stuff is free on computer.
Its $5 on Xbox.
You can do the math.
The reason why it's $5 this time round is because last time it was free (bare with me) and therefore Vavle weren't allowed (by Microsoft) to stick any achievements on it [a href:"http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/left-4-dead/preview/left-4-dead-survival-pack-hands-on/a-2009030594445612035/g-20061120155139282079/p-3"](see the last paragraph)[/a] and this made XBoxers very pissy about it.
So, how happy are they going to be with their achievements costing 5 bucks?

Madshaw

Jun 18, 2008
CheeseSandwichCake said:
Madshaw said:
how much money do they make from the console gamers? would you hate something that pays so well?
Chances are Valve actually makes like half what they get from the PC... because anyone and everyone who plays a Valve game on a console is an idiot. They probably get a lot more money out of Steam then they do selling shitty console ports of their games.

around half? thats exactly my point, if you have a big yummy pie, and someone gives you another half of all that green dollary flavour, you arn't going to hate them just because its only half of the other pie, even the slightest profit is a good thing, just because its not as much doesn't mean its not wanted