Video Games can be art? PROVE IT!

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
Demon's Souls. That was an experience no other medium could recreate. The game doesn't tell you a story, the world tells you a story, and its a dark one.

ReckzB

May 28, 2010
Just to screw with their head, I'd pick a game that wasn't necessarily 'artistic', but would still prove my point. Prototype, perhaps.

"It's about a guy who can mutate his arms, eat people and turn into them, and destroy a building with an elbow drop. I win this argument, sir, good day."

And then I would don my monocle and top hat and exit stage left.

CalCD

Aug 5, 2010
I wouldnt argue that video games are art, but more that they are one of the best forms of entertainment ever made, and that the enjoyment that you get from each game is similar to experiencing a great movie, and so that games shouldnt be regarded as simple artistic statements, but pieces of entertainment which have enough nuances and complexity to become more than the sum of their parts : ie, a great experience that could be considered as art in its tribute to entertaining our minds.

Thats just my opinion, anyway. *cough*

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
However, if pressed, I would say BioShock. The depth, the story, the plot twist...but mostly because of the emotional response the game invokes.
Haha, funny you should mention the "depth" of a game taking place in an UNDERWATER city. XD

Seriously though, what kind of emotional response do you speak of? I played bioshock from beginning to end, and I listened to all the dialogue and "story parts" of the game when I wasn't running around killing splicers and big daddies for in-game profit, and it didn't evoke any emotional response at all to be honest.

Also the "plot-twist" wasn't a very subtle and good plot-twist either.

Sure, it was a nice game, but when it comes to being a "work of art" I'd rather find that bioshock's visuals stand out a lot more than it's plot-twists or it's lacking ability to evoke an emotional response.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Probably Okami. There are other examples that I think are better at conveying the full artistic nature of video games, but Okami is probably the most striking due to its amazing visual art style, and it has a great story, soundtrack, and... well, everything.

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
Hmm, as most people have already pointed out, art is subjective and it's not even worth trying to have a logical argument over whether or not games can be art.

That being said, I'd have to go with Yahtzee's John DeFoe Quadrilogy, for the emotions they can create. The graphics are far from the best (although they do have a bit of a nostalgia factor to them), but the music and environments create a definite mood of tension and fear, and when the shit finally hits the fan, it makes you want do go run and hide. (Or at the very least, makes your heart skip a few beats.) It even holds sway long after you've finished playing it. I can recall a few dark, sleepless nights where my mind wandered to those games, after which it proceeded to spiral into a fit of fear and paranoia. Thanks a lot, Yahtzee.

Some people have also mentioned Bioshock or Okami, but it is one of my great shames to have never played either of those wonderful games.
/seppuku

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
Housebroken Lunatic said:
zombiejoe said:
the silent hill 2 part
... Okay. Care to explain why you were waiting for that response?

Did I just win some sort of competition?
Well, because when I think of an "art game" I think of Silent Hill 2, and you where the first to say it, so you win this:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.twogroove.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/a_winner_is_you_1024.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.twogroove.com/blog/tag/white-denim/&usg=__2gg4UnxI1mfNcmpXy4GP8j8x-Xc=&h=768&w=1024&sz=24&hl=en&start=0&sig2=q5YFwQ2rZDNQlmxYsYSRXA&zoom=1&tbnid=ZYPOTtKfbKAU8M:&tbnh=133&tbnw=222&ei=_41wTIa9LYz2tgP3qt2NCw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwinner%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26biw%3D1037%26bih%3D746%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=401&oei=_41wTIa9LYz2tgP3qt2NCw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0&tx=85&ty=44

Macheteswordgun

Jul 24, 2010
Thaius said:
Probably Okami. There are other examples that I think are better at conveying the full artistic nature of video games, but Okami is probably the most striking due to its amazing visual art style, and it has a great story, soundtrack, and... well, everything.
Damn it ninja'd

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
Moontouched-Moogle said:
Hmm, as most people have already pointed out, art is subjective and it's not even worth trying to have a logical argument over whether or not games can be art.

That being said, I'd have to go with Yahtzee's John DeFoe Quadrilogy, for the emotions they can create. The graphics are far from the best (although they do have a bit of a nostalgia factor to them), but the music and environments create a definite mood of tension and fear, and when the shit finally hits the fan, it makes you want do go run and hide. (Or at the very least, makes your heart skip a few beats.) It even holds sway long after you've finished playing it. I can recall a few dark, sleepless nights where my mind wandered to those games, after which it proceeded to spiral into a fit of fear and paranoia. Thanks a lot, Yahtzee.

Some people have also mentioned Bioshock or Okami, but it is one of my great shames to have never played either of those wonderful games.
/seppuku
wait, what's the name of this epic game your talking about?

reiem531

Aug 26, 2009
I know it's cliche, but Shadow of the Colossus. Not just the beautiful environments, animation, and soundtrack, but also the powerful emotions it can make the player feel.

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
It depends on whether the person in question believes that good stories or movies can be art.

The Clinger

Dec 30, 2009
I would have to go with Portal, if only because of default. (I spend all my money on college, so it is the most recently released game I have played through.)

Comparing this to other works considered to be literature I would say that it could fill most of the qualities that have been used to define art. (While the "definition" is acknowledged to be subjective, it is generally agreed upon by several qualified professionals, and is the closest that you could get to objectivity.)

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Muramasa the Demon Blade (or Oboro Muramasa if you want to be picky). The entire game's a giant painting.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Housebroken Lunatic said:
Macgyvercas said:
However, if pressed, I would say BioShock. The depth, the story, the plot twist...but mostly because of the emotional response the game invokes.
Haha, funny you should mention the "depth" of a game taking place in an UNDERWATER city. XD

Seriously though, what kind of emotional response do you speak of? I played bioshock from beginning to end, and I listened to all the dialogue and "story parts" of the game when I wasn't running around killing splicers and big daddies for in-game profit, and it didn't evoke any emotional response at all to be honest.

Also the "plot-twist" wasn't a very subtle and good plot-twist either.

Sure, it was a nice game, but when it comes to being a "work of art" I'd rather find that bioshock's visuals stand out a lot more than it's plot-twists or it's lacking ability to evoke an emotional response.
Honestly, I wasn't even thinking of a pun when I wrote that.

But as for an emotional response, I felt a genuine connection with Jack (the protagonist). I can't really explain it, but on my first playthrough, I felt the wonder, awe, and terror he must have been feeling beening in Rapture. I was also at a loss for words for the first few hours, much like Jack was throughout the game. And when the plot twist occured, I felt anger. And not "OMG YOU GONNA DIE SUCKA!" anger. I'm talking about anger I would feel if someone betrayed me in real life, the sense of being used and manipulated.

You vest so much into Atlas, and when turns out to be Fontaine, you can't help but feel taken advantage of

No other game has made me experience that much emotion. Well except for The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, but that's an entirely different story that can be summed up in the phrase "If I were allowed, I would marry that game".

Iffat Nur

Aug 13, 2010
Brad Shepard said:
Iffat Nur said:
well, does it matter whether they are art?
Games are to be enjoy, not stared at.

But if hes going up my arse about it, I show him
a)Bioshock (although pray he never heard of the second)
b)Portal (its a hard one to explain, though)
I liked the 2nd bioshock, true it dident need to be made, but it was still a blast and the story was sweet.
Yeah, but like Yahtzee said, the story was pretty much done with Bioshock. Rapture cant have another story set after it, but if its before, then its a maybe.

Great, now im thinking of a Sims a la Bioshock.

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
Portal, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, all of those are really pretty and art games. But the two that in my eyes, are the kings of Art Video Games are Mother 3 because it's pretty much the closest we've gotten to fine literature in a story and characterization..and Braid because well just look at it and listen to it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kflCLshkOg

Oh and of course Bioshock, because Sander Cohen is The master of class and art.