Video Games can be art? PROVE IT!

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Lyri said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Hell, if rap music ([small]haha oxymoron[/small]) is a form of art, then tell me how video games aren't.
Probably because people keep making sly comments about the nature of video games based on their own dislike.
[small]Yes, just like your rap comment.[/small]
My rap comment, believe it or not, has nothing to do with my hatred of rap. I don't consider a "beat" music. And yes for all you people out there that say screaming isn't music, well, you are right. But behind the screaming there is a guitar(s), bass, and drums, which is music. Some guy doing poetry to a "beat" will never be "music" to me, until I hear an instrumental rap song (and from telling people that I learned that a lot of people actually don't know what instrumental means).

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
zombiejoe said:
READ THIS RIGHT NOW: I THINK VIDEO GAMES CAN BE ART!

Ok, let's say your at work or school and some person runs up to you and says "Hey nerd, I heard you like stupid video games. THEY CAN'T BE ART LOSER!"

Now instead of beating this person's face to the ground, you say in a calm voice "I disagree. Video games can be art, they can have great stories, and can have great meaning."

The person scoffs, and says "Ok nerd, show me one game, ONE GAME, that can change my mind."

So, what game would you pick and why?
I would not even stop to answer to that... If he is stupid enough to say something like that he derve only to be ignored... If someone want to start a meaningful debate in a polite way that would be different

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Gothic,Gothic II,and Gothic II:Night of the Raven.
In each game,a story is painted to you,from beginning to end. Many things are left for you,the player,to decide and interperet. It invokes your deeper,more beastial emotions in some scenarios,like the urge to survive when you see a fifteen foot,gorilla-like,tusked monstrosity headed your way,or of terror when one of the servants of Beliar (God of Darkness), the Seekers approach. Of anger when you are betrayed by Gomez,if you decided to join the Old Camp. The music in the game is also beautiful,as each song is made SPECIFICALY FOR THAT INSTANCE! In the first game,there's a different combat track for the Swamp,Arena,and New Camp from anywhere else. The characters are believable. The story is compelling. All in all,it is art,in my opinion. If the guy disagrees,I'll say "To each his own." and walk away.

Solid Lore

Aug 22, 2010
I stay away from Art discussions for the very same reason as Religion discussions. In the end it always comes down to one person saying 'Yeah, well you can't prove it's not!' and refusing to budge.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Super Mario Brothers. It's very well known for being completely original and a new experience, that's what the best of art is in my super awesome opinion. Games don't need to have (art doesn't need to have) super 3D realistic graphics or even a story to be art, just something different.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Okami and Muramasa the Demon Blade. Both of them are very, very beautifully drawn games, and very fun to play as well.

Chainsauce

Aug 14, 2010
Well art is completely subjective, but I get what you mean. Limbo is a good example of an (at least to a lot of people I'd say) aesthetically pleasing game.

Skeleton Jelly

Nov 1, 2009
Housebroken Lunatic said:
Silent Hill 2

/thread
What is art, really?
No seriously, anything can really be considered art.

But this guy has it.
The atmosphere, the characters, the surreal macabre, and the fact that every enemy in the game has a metaphorical meaning to the character.

Freeze_L

Feb 17, 2010
Bioshock, just give me the first 20 minutes of that game to explain various symbols, allusions, and meaning behind the various aspects of it. In addition the story itself is amazing and the splicers give you real chills. This is me thinking of art in more of strictly surface and visual sense, i am crazy about books and this colors my take on what art is, not really the pictures but the stories and the experience that you get from something is what makes it art. I would then dive into a long explanation of why painting, music, movies and games can all be art, and what they all share in common. What makes art is the feelings it can invoke, and any medium that allows this is art, art also goes beyond a surface meaning and is open to active participation on the side of the audience to find meaning and symbolism, this is why we all experience good art differently. I would then finish my speech leaving him slightly dumbfounded and walk away.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
"They are a medium created to be immersive and evoke emotion". There ya go.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
I tell him art is subjective and if he believes that videogames cannot be art, then that's his opinion and he has every right to have it.

However, if I was to have a gun pointed to my head, I guess Braid or Killer 7 would be good examples. Those games still have me thinking about their story and style after so long.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I'd explain to the guy that art, as a concept, is ultimately subjective and entirely open to interpretation (I don't see anything other than aimless splatters when I look at Jackson Pollock's supposedly great artistic works, for example). Given that, I'd explain, anything can be viewed as art.

From there, I'd proceed to explain that my definition of art involves pain. Then I'd kick him in the sleighbells and go hide up a tree or something.

InfernoJesus

Aug 18, 2009
I really liked the visual art style in Zelda: Wind Waker. A few minutes if playing that is sure to convince your coworker/classmate that video games can be art.

Also, if someone ran up to me at work and said "Hey nerd, I heard you like stupid video games. THEY CAN'T BE ART LOSER!", I'd probably ask him who he got his cocaine from, purchase a bulk amount of it, and sell it back to kids at school at 150% what I bought it for. That's just the kind of person I am.

masher

Jul 20, 2009
It -really- sounds like this individual is only trying to get a rise out of me, but I'd probably pull Okami or Blazblue outta my mystical, bottomless pouch to flaunt in their face.