"Wait, how is that offensive?!"

Sep 14, 2009
ehh alot of times skin color =/= race, i know 5-6 people off the top of my head that are more white than i am as of skin tone, but are at least 50% black (one half of the family is entirely black on the dads side.) and they have used "nigga" casually alot, in which there are HUNDREDS of times where someone gets super pissed off about it, because they aren't "black", even though as a race, they are just as supposed black as any other african american really.

i really hate Political correctness and people who get overly offended by words...

it's a word, words have been made up since the beginning of time, context is what matters!

oh and too lazy to go quote it, but i have tons of my friends call me "white boi" or "cracker", and i couldn't give a rats ass.

hell first time i got called a "honky" i ended up laughing my ass off at how absurd the person was for trying to offend me with it.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Spot1990 said:
krazykidd said:
TitanAtlas said:
Well... to me is when i'm telling a joke or talking to someone and say black people. But my friends sush me up like i'm saying a racist word or something. Never understood why. Some people are black other white, i think it's a normal thing.

When i was a kid i kinda thinked people would be offended when i said the term "Black" to refer to a person, but a friend of mine, wich was black, saied he would feel more offended if i didn't use the word, considering there would be a racist connection by not using a common and normal word.

So yeah...
Question , when you are talking about something do you ever say "white people" ? Or when talking about another thing and say yellow or orange or brown people( for asian , indonesian and indian )?

I do find that Offensive a bit , like i am being judged for being black , but it's not direct rascime perse , unless you follow up woth something racist.

Also rememer something , just because something doesn't offend on person ( usually a friend ) it doesn't mean it doesn't offend others . Something people tend to forget . Oh and having a close relationship to a person that is black ( or any race imo) doesn't make saying racist things less racist .

Example: a month ago me and a couple of friends were at a bar . We were four , me( black), my gf ( white ), a close friend of mine ( asian ) and another close friend ( white ). At the end of the night, my two friends were leaving , i said something to my asian friend like , you better not drive , since you know asians tend to be bad drivers sober ( as a joke) , then she turn , and says later , shit! *stutters* face. I replied hey thats racist ( now this didn't really offend me since she didn't mean it in a racist way ). The my other friend which was white says , bye ****** . At this point i told my asian friend to get he out of here , and the my white friend was like , remember my dad is black ( her dad was black , and she was white as snow ,but it still really offended me ). And i have yet to speak to her again to this day , and don't intend to.

TL:DR having a black friend , lover or parent doesn't excuse saying racist things
Well I'm Irish, if someone was talking about Irish people and said something like "Remember Liam? The Irish guy from the other night it seems the same as "Remember Dave? The black guy from the other night." It's a pretty distinctive trait.

I do have one question. If the white friend (I'm presuming she was as close as the Asian friend here) had said something like "And how are you getting home? There's no cars parked out front for you to steal." Would you have been cool with that?
To answer your question , i woudn't have been offended , because she would be making a joke based on an outrageous stereotype. I can't deny that such a stereotype exists. ( i personally find stereotypes funny , becauese most of them are ridiculous, but you also have to take into account the atmosphere and the way such things are said)

estoria-etnia

Aug 22, 2009
LITE992 said:
I'm not sure why people find curse words offensive, because haven't we been taught as kids that "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."?
Verbal abuse can be just as destructive and hurtful as physical abuse and it leaves a lot of problems that a person has to deal with for the rest of their life. Emotional/verbal abuse can permanently damage a person's self-worth and how they view themselves and it often contributes to suicide and depression. Unlike physical abuse or injuries, emotional and verbal abuse does not leave any physical scars which makes it harder to deal with or realize that it's going on.

Basically, that phrase is a load of bullshit.

What I find offensive is people who insist that if someone is depressed that they should just "shut up and cheer up" or "stop complaining and smile you stupid emo!" Or, you know, people talking about mental illness as though it's something you can choose to have and that it's all in a person's head, that they're making it up to get attention, etc.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I once told someone that I didn't believe in predetermination or "natural talent." I said that, instead, I believed that with enough practice, passion, and drive, anyone can do anything they want, regardless of what they may be "naturally talented in."

He told me that if I were to keep making snide comments like that I should just fuck off.

-wut?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I was giving a black guy a ride (at night) a few weeks ago and out of nowhere he said "Why do white people always drive with their headlights off at night?"

I just laughed and said he was crazy. (For the record, my headlights were on).

Anywho! I'm not really sure why people get offended at...well...anything. Life is too short to get stressed out over something that, in the long run, doesn't even have an ounce of importance.

Edit: Oh. Well, one instance of someone getting offended at something that I can understand is; I used to have a friend with dark skin, and everyone assumed she was Black (And would call her 'African American'). She was actually just a bit-darker-than-normal Hawaiian. Maaaaaan that pissed her off. I thought it was kind of funny, though.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
The line in Slaughterhouse Five about machine gun fire sounding like "God almighty unzipping his fly". It's loud and it's sort of a zipper-y noise, I don't understand where the offensive bit is. Is it maybe the implication that God has a fly to unzip, and so logically must have a penis to pull out of it? Because I don't really see how that's offensive, either.

estoria-etnia said:
What I find offensive is people who insist that if someone is depressed that they should just "shut up and cheer up" or "stop complaining and smile you stupid emo!" Or, you know, people talking about mental illness as though it's something you can choose to have and that it's all in a person's head, that they're making it up to get attention, etc.
Thank you. Somebody actually walked up and asked me if I'd ever "just tried being happy" the other day. Long story short, I've been suspended from school.

w1ndscar

Jul 22, 2009
sir.rutthed said:
I too dont care if one decides to be gay rather than straight. What does get annoying, is that people claim being gay is derived from your DNA. Sexual preference, or what turns one on is not determined by their genes, but rather their Mentality and personal preferences.

OT: I don't understand why African Americans feel that they must absolutely have an entire month devoted to their history. We go over it during the proper section of all of our history courses.

Mar 9, 2010
sravankb said:
Most of Frankie Boyle's "jokes". Notice that the audience mostly react with "ooooh" instead of a laugh. I personally don't find them offensive, I just think it's odd that people find shock "humor" to be funny.
He used to be funny, but eventually he just started being outright offensive for the sake of it. He wouldn't make an effort into creating a hilarious joke people can't help but laugh at and just made offensive comments.

OT: Horrific jokes about anything and everyone. Here's a few that are just awful:

Every girl I've ever dated has asked me what superpower I would choose. They always expect me to say something like invisibility or super speed, but they won't really help me escape this mess. I always choose infertility.

When my adopted son misbehaves I never feel disappointment, only buyers remorse.

My son asked me if the divorce was his fault, I told him that it wasn't his fault. If anything it was my fault, I used an expired condom.

Points to whoever tells me where I derive these from without doing a Google search.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
kortin said:
Well, not something that is said, but rather what one does:

Wearing Hats inside. I know why it used to be offensive, but it STILL being offensive is just absolutely stupid.
I was gonna say this! How is it ok for girls to wear hats indoors but not ok or guys? That's sexist people!

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
Prof. Monkeypox said:
I once told someone that I didn't believe in predetermination or "natural talent." I said that, instead, I believed that with enough practice, passion, and drive, anyone can do anything they want, regardless of what they may be "naturally talented in."

He told me that if I were to keep making snide comments like that I should just fuck off.

-wut?
What indeed, that makes no sense.

I used to get cross-eyed looks from people for asking questions I shouldn't, mpore often from third parties than from the person whom I asked. I never understood why I needed to say, "He/she doesn't have to answer if he/she doesn't want to."

I was talking with some friends in high school when a girl said she'd found a mathematical formula online that was supposed to tell you how deep your vagina was. I asked her how deep she had found her vagina to be. Everybody looked at me like I was a monster. I said, "Well, if she's bringing it up, I'm assuming she's okay with talking about it." I still feel that way. If I remember correctly, I think she told me what she'd found.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
LITE992 said:
I'm not sure why people find curse words offensive, because haven't we been taught as kids that "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."?
But words leave giant holes cut in by words on your phyche, I always have to say it.

I never understand why straight guys find the term "Fairy" to be offensive.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
As an Atheist, I criticize beliefs of religious folk quite a bit.
Now, I don't walk up to people and say "YO DAWG, YOU RELIGIOUS? YOU WRONG!" and proceed to recite an essay, but if we get talking about god or religion, I'll state quite plainly why I think belief in god is totally irrational and has no place in society.

People constantly seem to be offended by the fact that I have belief contrary to them. I honestly cannot comprehend this.

For me, when people say "You have to respect my beliefs!" the immediate response is "I am. Scrutiny is the greatest demonstration of respect I can show."

If I didn't respect a system of belief, I wouldn't bother applying logic to it. I'd just ignore it. The fact that I take time to think about something and apply a methodology to it is an embodiment of my appreciation for it.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Aprilgold said:
LITE992 said:
But words leave giant holes cut in by words on your phyche, I always have to say it.

I never understand why straight guys find the term "Fairy" to be offensive.
It's taken to mean an extremely effeminate gay guy, which really upsets some people.

Protip: Guys who are extremely homophobic generally aren't secure in their own sexuality and/or are closet homosexuals. Good deal.

Thespian said:
As an Atheist, I criticize beliefs of religious folk quite a bit.
Now, I don't walk up to people and say "YO DAWG, YOU RELIGIOUS? YOU WRONG!" and proceed to recite an essay, but if we get talking about god or religion, I'll state quite plainly why I think belief in god is totally irrational and has no place in society.

People constantly seem to be offended by the fact that I have belief contrary to them. I honestly cannot comprehend this.

For me, when people say "You have to respect my beliefs!" the immediate response is "I am. Scrutiny is the greatest demonstration of respect I can show."

If I didn't respect a system of belief, I wouldn't bother applying logic to it. I'd just ignore it. The fact that I take time to think about something and apply a methodology to it is an embodiment of my appreciation for it.
You're right, actually. By proclaiming that you're atheist, it means that you at least accept their belief in a higher power is at least meaningful, otherwise you couldn't be opposed to it/critical towards it. Unlike me, who is an Ignostic.

Very few people know what Ignosticism is, though...*sigh*

HHammond

Jun 28, 2011
sir.rutthed said:
There are certain things that are just flat out rude. Sadly, some of us didn't get the memo and don't quite get the "why" of it. This is a thread for those situations. What is something people say is extremely offensive and you just don't get why? I'll start off with homosexuality as a choice. I never got why some people are so offended by it, who the hell cares about WHY you're gay?

So, what don't you get? Feel free to help clarify it for your fellow man too, but let's try to keep it civil, mkay?

TL;DR: Screw you, I just watched Big Picture :)
The reason people get so offended about it is that it implies that you made the choice to be "wrong" because the people who generally say it are using are saying it in a "you shouldn't be this way, it's wrong" kind of way, or at least they have in my experience.

I never really understood the whole idea of it being a choice in the first place if I'm honest. I'm gay and I have looked at girls and felt attracted to them but not I've never had any overpowering feelings towards a girl like I have a boy. Also, if the people who say this think it's a choice then it implies they've thought about the idea of being gay and would go for it but whenever you point this out to them they usually say "no! That's disgusting!".

bahumat42 said:
mines one i know is offensive, but as a product of my generation i use gay as a negative connotation, such as "thats gay" not because i dislike gay people, just because in my developing years it was a popular go-to phrase that just stuck with me.
Again because it implies that it's wrong. I know you're not using it in an offensive way but it can be really alienating when you have people saying that bad things are "gay" which makes you feel that what you are is wrong.

Personally, if I say something that someone finds offensive I will apologise because at the end of the day whatever I have said has offended that person and even if I can't see why they would be offended they are still upset. I will try and ask what they find offensive and then try and clear it up with this person.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Implying that sex-related chivalrae is stupid. You know, those ol´traditions about always opening the door to women even if they are right in front of the door and you´re 50 feet away, etc. like they were some useless creature incapable of doing things on their own. Apperently it´s a Capital offense thinking that that´s even more sexist. And of course, not making distinctions about gender when hitting people, like those rare girls that slap anyone male with no apparent reason, or those guys with a need to be the Alpha male by force. Oh yeah, apparently that´s the worst someone can think.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
ravensheart18 said:
we do have some facts to indicate that there may be more bisexuality out there than is acknowledged which would indicate some choice of action.
That still means you can't choose your position on the sexuality spectrum.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
sravankb said:
Most of Frankie Boyle's "jokes". Notice that the audience mostly react with "ooooh" instead of a laugh. I personally don't find them offensive, I just think it's odd that people find shock "humor" to be funny.
He used to be funny, but eventually he just started being outright offensive for the sake of it. He wouldn't make an effort into creating a hilarious joke people can't help but laugh at and just made offensive comments.

OT: Horrific jokes about anything and everyone. Here's a few that are just awful:

Every girl I've ever dated has asked me what superpower I would choose. They always expect me to say something like invisibility or super speed, but they won't really help me escape this mess. I always choose infertility.

When my adopted son misbehaves I never feel disappointment, only buyers remorse.

My son asked me if the divorce was his fault, I told him that it wasn't his fault. If anything it was my fault, I used an expired condom.

Points to whoever tells me where I derive these from without doing a Google search.
I bet it's Sickipedia. All that shit comes from Sickipedia.