"Wait, how is that offensive?!"

AlAaraaf74

Dec 11, 2010
Tom Milner said:
i don't understand why people feel the need to make fun of my name. milner, derived from miliner. miliners made hats. see where i'm going with this?
Especially since Milner isn't even goofy sounding. If it were Miller, people could joke about you drinking a lot, but I can't even come up with anything for Milner...

Jan 11, 2009
bahumat42 said:
mines one i know is offensive, but as a product of my generation i use gay as a negative connotation, such as "thats gay" not because i dislike gay people, just because in my developing years it was a popular go-to phrase that just stuck with me.

I get that its wrong, but the thing that bugs me is that people can't get that im not doing it on purpose, and im not a big homophobe because of the way my language developed. They can't seriously believe that every time somebody uses it in that light its an actual slight.
Yes! This is what I was going to say!

It really has just become part of our age culture now and I say it probably more than my friends. Always makes for a funny moment when someone calls me out on it calling me homophobic and I just tell them that I'm bisexual. Works a charm.

Herr Uhl

Sep 25, 2010
Certain parts of the deaf community to people developing procedures to give hearing to deaf.

Also been flamed for saying that I'm a determinist, which i found odd.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Aprilgold said:
LITE992 said:
I'm not sure why people find curse words offensive, because haven't we been taught as kids that "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."?
But words leave giant holes cut in by words on your phyche, I always have to say it.

I never understand why straight guys find the term "Fairy" to be offensive.
It's taken to mean an extremely effeminate gay guy, which really upsets some people.

Protip: Guys who are extremely homophobic generally aren't secure in their own sexuality and/or are closet homosexuals. Good deal.
Well that makes sense, but I still think its quite silly to be agravated over, I had a guy break someone's nose for it, it was really odd because he was joking with the same exact word the whole night... Er, day, I had a weird friend that liked to party in the morning through to night.

diebane

Apr 7, 2010
I don't get why people sometimes expect me to give them my seat in a bus. No, they're not over 55 and have trouble balancing when the bus goes around a corner, because that would be fine, go ahead, have my seat. But only because you're 12 yeards older than me that does not mean I have to give you my seat.

You have two legs, you're not supported by crutches and you're not an old dude. Stand like everybody else, will ya?

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Not as much offends as it does bothers, but Caribou Coffee's motto really pisses me off.
"We love coffee too. That's why we proudly brew."
I don't know why, but it just makes me want to slap whoever wrote it across the face.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
I'm that way with the "Get back in the kitchen jokes" or "That's not how you make a sammich".

Although my real beef with these is how OVERDONE they are. Occasionally a racist or crass joke can be funny, but copy-pasting the same joke that HUNDREDS of others use on a daily basis and acting as if you are so clever for it...that's what ticks me off.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
sir.rutthed said:
I'll start off with homosexuality as a choice. I never got why some people are so offended by it, who the hell cares about WHY you're gay?
In my experience, for a lot of gay people the reasons behind sexual orientation is a touchy subject because there is a fear it will be used as a justification for denying rights or trying to 'cure' them.

And there are definitely people claiming that since the gays have chosen to be like that, it's their fault they are not equal to straight people.

Which, I agree, is a dumb argument. Even if sexuality was a choice, so what? It's not a reason to draw arbitrary lines on what rights people should have based on whether sex they like.

Mischa87

Jun 28, 2011
ICantBelieveItGoesBoom said:
bahumat42 said:
mines one i know is offensive, but as a product of my generation i use gay as a negative connotation, such as "thats gay" not because i dislike gay people, just because in my developing years it was a popular go-to phrase that just stuck with me.

I get that its wrong, but the thing that bugs me is that people can't get that im not doing it on purpose, and im not a big homophobe because of the way my language developed. They can't seriously believe that every time somebody uses it in that light its an actual slight.

It really has just become part of our age culture now and I say it probably more than my friends. Always makes for a funny moment when someone calls me out on it calling me homophobic and I just tell them that I'm bisexual. Works a charm.
Actually, people who do this CHOSE to allow that into their vernacular. The same way people choose to pick up on leet speak, or talking like a btard, something many well-adjusted people manage to go without picking up.

I live in a dairy farming community in a rural part of Canada for my entire life, I've not picked up the local accent/dialect, or the vernacular.

Now, if you went ahead and said: "All the cool kids were doing it, and being the impressionable youth I am, I wanted to fit in too" I would totally agree with you there.

Saying it's part of our culture is ignorant in itself, it's not part of the culture, it's part of your immature gaming communities, to label that as "our culture" is grossly incorrect.

And honestly, it's not hard to kick, I've worked with hundreds of transpeople over the years, do you know how much it takes to use a different name, and pronoun for a person who's transitioned, like a few hundred times over... Language is fluid, and what makes up our own personal language is what we allow into it, heck, my best friend in real life had to start calling me by female pronouns, and my preferred name, as well as stop with his sexist/homophobic/transphobic jokes... He's a dairy farmer, and an MMA fighter, a real meat head, and he can change over you guys? Well... I say it's a poor excuse, and you're just lazy and/or immature.

Also, there are plenty of homophobic bisexuals out there, a thread on here the other week touched on that.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
What bugs me, and I know there's an agenda behind it, with most of the newspapers in the UK being owned by people with TV channels that want the biggest and best rival dead, but here goes.

People, and by people I mainly mean the Daily Mail, wailing in horror that someone maybe said 'bottom' on the BBC.

Every time a comedian makes a slightly poor taste joke, if it's on the BBC, it's double page spreads of how the BBC has 'lost its values' and 'insults its audience'.

no, it's catering to its audience, its audience being everyone.

Personally, the 7 hours a day of people selling shitty antiques to each other offends me, when they could be repeating great old shows instead. But, I also realise there's a lot of people who, for some reason enjoy watching people buy a pot for £12 and selling it at auction for £14 then wetting themselves over their profit.

That's fine, in return, I'd like to watch Jimmy Carr call Theresa May a useless tory ****, so long as it's after 9pm, and it's done in a witty and amusing way.

I'd also say that the place matters, certain things can't be said on TV, because anyone could be watching, however, if you go to a Frankie Boyle live show for example, you don't get to run to the Daily Mail to complain that he mocked kids with Down's Syndrome, after you've sat there for half an hour laughing at jokes about the victims of paedophiles and people dying of cancer.

On a personal note, there's a wonderful piece of comedy songwriting on the BBC iPlayer right now, a song about an aged, tumour covered dog on it's last legs, and how sick he is, but he keeps on living. It's kinda offensive, to anyone who loves animals, but it IS funny. (comedy on the boat, and its about 23 minutes in, if anyone's interested)

I've linked it to some people, however my best mate's dog is old and probably on the way out, so despite him loving sick humour, I figured I'd skip that, in the way I'd skip telling a genuinely funny to a black friend, IF he was touchy about that stuff, if he was cool about it, I'd go ahead and tell him about the funny ****** who did something funny.

There's been a fairly huge debate on twitter about Ricky Gervais using the word mong and pulling 'special' faces, and I'm not really sure where I stand, because I can't help but feel he's only doing it because it'll offend, and get him publicity, I think offensive humour has to be performed with care.

I'll close with my example of what I think is an expertly done piece of offensive stand up, played to perfection by Stewart Lee, to a lively, drunken Glasgow audience. He pretty much abuses them, Scotland, Scottishness, and their national hero, constantly, and increasingly for about 20 minutes, and every passing minute you expect someone to just get up and punch him.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Tom Milner said:
i don't understand why people feel the need to make fun of my name. milner, derived from miliner. miliners made hats. see where i'm going with this?
I shall call you Thomas Hattington.
may i purchase a unique handmade hat?
Genuine Evil said:
The day I say African American is the day I voluntarily inhale a tube of bee?s!
fuck you if you have a problem with me calling you black you can fuck right off
i agree. and if you disagree, then i demand you call me Irish-Scandanavian-Germanic-French-Canadian-Anglo Scot.
sir.rutthed said:
I'll start off with homosexuality as a choice. I never got why some people are so offended by it, who the hell cares about WHY you're gay?
uh... maybe because it isnt a choice? thats most of the reason.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
sir.rutthed said:
There are certain things that are just flat out rude. Sadly, some of us didn't get the memo and don't quite get the "why" of it. This is a thread for those situations. What is something people say is extremely offensive and you just don't get why? I'll start off with homosexuality as a choice. I never got why some people are so offended by it, who the hell cares about WHY you're gay?

So, what don't you get? Feel free to help clarify it for your fellow man too, but let's try to keep it civil, mkay?

TL;DR: Screw you, I just watched Big Picture :)

In my experience the reason most people (women included) are, not offended by it, so much as it makes them very uncomfortable. This has the result that they then come across as rude as they can help but act uncomfortable. Its a very difficult thing to hide.

Interestingly, most people do not get this same effect from women. If I engage my analytical psychology side for a moment I would postulate that its to do with the fact that male intimacy is usually a quite well hidden thing socially at least in public and when it has been displayed in the past it is basically exclusively male/female. This is less true in countries such as France and Italy but certainly fits Britain and so by extension the US. While female/female casual intimacy is far more common. Therefore as a result feels far less alien when it goes further.

Just a theory.

I personally just don't get offence in general. Quite often the term offence now its intrinsically linked with "discriminate", largely because if you cause offence to someone of a different ethnic etc. origin it is automatically assumed to be racially/sexually/religiously discriminatory.

To give an example, I was at a party once with a few friend with a WHOLE loada people I didnt know. We'd had a few and were in a group of both un/known people. For some reason my friend (who is female) was going into the kitchen for something, I asked her if she would grab me another beer and when she agreed I made a joke about "proper places". She and I both knew it was a joke, but 2 of the other women there took offence on her behalf and damned near took my head off over it.

It is only offensive if you take offence. Nothing I had done and said or ANYTHING in my demeanour to my friend or any other women there suggested that I might actually be serious. Yet they still treated me like I was a condemned felon, at a bloody joke.

Yeah it dumb. Im 6'4 so a lot of people are midgets to me. I call someone 5'2" a midgets they laugh and make some quip about the air being thin, I call someone 4'5" a midgets and Id get a warning at the very least if they decided to tell the police. Its retarded. Everyone is insistent on trying to remove discrimination, but they look so had for it that you have to rethink every idle comment 3 times before you say it in case they decide to take offence and you shoot yourself in the foot.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I never knew that "nappy" (as in, badly knotted or dirty hair and such) was supposedly racist until Don Imus got himself in trouble for calling some women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos" and the outcry wasn't so much about the hos part as the nappy part.

Also I never knew "coon" was supposedly a racial slur against blacks until WoW took out the Maine Coon minipet. (Which is an outrage, btw, Maine Coon is a legitimate and most awesome breed of cat, they shoulda told whoever complained to fuck right off)

Jan 11, 2009
Mischa87 said:
ICantBelieveItGoesBoom said:
bahumat42 said:

Actually, people who do this CHOSE to allow that into their vernacular. The same way people choose to pick up on leet speak, or talking like a btard, something many well-adjusted people manage to go without picking up.

I live in a dairy farming community in a rural part of Canada for my entire life, I've not picked up the local accent/dialect, or the vernacular.

Now, if you went ahead and said: "All the cool kids were doing it, and being the impressionable youth I am, I wanted to fit in too" I would totally agree with you there.

Saying it's part of our culture is ignorant in itself, it's not part of the culture, it's part of your immature gaming communities, to label that as "our culture" is grossly incorrect.

And honestly, it's not hard to kick, I've worked with hundreds of transpeople over the years, do you know how much it takes to use a different name, and pronoun for a person who's transitioned, like a few hundred times over... Language is fluid, and what makes up our own personal language is what we allow into it, heck, my best friend in real life had to start calling me by female pronouns, and my preferred name, as well as stop with his sexist/homophobic/transphobic jokes... He's a dairy farmer, and an MMA fighter, a real meat head, and he can change over you guys? Well... I say it's a poor excuse, and you're just lazy and/or immature.

Also, there are plenty of homophobic bisexuals out there, a thread on here the other week touched on that.
Well given that you stated you've lived in Canada all your life, I'm going to assume that you haven't really experienced British teenage culture and I really can confirm, it is part of the culture. Basically everyone says it so to say that it's part of my "immature gaming communities" is just plain wrong.

Also, I agree, language is fluid. That's exactly why a word can take on a completely different meaning. Just like "gay" has to mean 'lame' in the CULTURE (yes, it is) that I'm a part of. Also, the fact that your friend changed the way he spoke for you is completely different thing to what I'm talking about as you presumably had to tell him that you were offended whilst I have never offended a gay person by saying gay in that way, the people who called me out on it were always the kind of overly concious white, middle-class people that feel they can speak for a whole minority. If there was a gay guy that really was offended by me saying it of course I'd stop saying it in front of him.

Finally, that thread sounds interesting, could you send me a link? I really don't see how a bisexual could be homphobic.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
I really care less of what others think, as long as I doing my job and making those that pay me(my customers) thats all that matters. I have a sign on the register, it says if you find anything in this building offensive, you may leave at anytime.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
krazykidd said:
TitanAtlas said:
double snip

TL:DR having a black friend , lover or parent doesn't excuse saying racist things
Well saying black person is racist? Admitting black is a racist term would to be the consideration of the colour itself to be racist.

For example if i say "That black man who is cousin of that person", do you feel that the phrase is racist in any term?

Mischa87

Jun 28, 2011
bahumat42 said:
I grew up in the 90's
So did I, heck, I even grew up in a small bigoted overly-religious town, to an extremely homophobic family, but it never entered my vocabulary.

with it being used on telivision in that light, its just grown into my dialect. And in all honesty it is more public friendly than my alternative which would be swearing.
Well, evidently it wasn't Canada, that sort of bullshit just wouldn't fly here.

And that's only more "public friendly" to you because you're not a victim of homophobia here, if the shoe was on the other foot, I would think you'd be singing a different tune indeed.

The only reason why its considered offensive is because some people choose to be offended by it. Not because it is inherently offensive. Why are those people free to go on being ignorant while you persecute others for "not being well adjusted". The same people who call me out on it, know exactly what usage i was using it in, and know exactly that i didn't mean any harm, they do it to make a scene, and cause drama.
Actually, it is inherently offensive, because it implies it's wrong to be gay (See what I did there, it's called basic logic, neat eh?)

And by being queer, or offended by homophobia we're ignorant? Well, aren't you just chock full of tolerance.

And yes, we know exactly the usage you're using it in, and the origin of using it like that, which is why it's offensive. Am I talking to a wall here? Feels like it.

Oh yes, the same tired bullshit I get from all the bigots. We must be trying to cause drama, and a scene! That MUST be it, we're not trying to defend our right to exist or anything like that at all...

Sit down kid, you have no idea what you're talking about.