"Wait, how is that offensive?!"

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
TitanAtlas said:
Well... to me is when i'm telling a joke or talking to someone and say black people. But my friends sush me up like i'm saying a racist word or something. Never understood why. Some people are black other white, i think it's a normal thing.

When i was a kid i kinda thinked people would be offended when i said the term "Black" to refer to a person, but a friend of mine, wich was black, saied he would feel more offended if i didn't use the word, considering there would be a racist connection by not using a common and normal word.

So yeah...
Question , when you are talking about something do you ever say "white people" ? Or when talking about another thing and say yellow or orange or brown people( for asian , indonesian and indian )?

I do find that Offensive a bit , like i am being judged for being black , but it's not direct rascime perse , unless you follow up woth something racist.

Also rememer something , just because something doesn't offend on person ( usually a friend ) it doesn't mean it doesn't offend others . Something people tend to forget . Oh and having a close relationship to a person that is black ( or any race imo) doesn't make saying racist things less racist .

Example: a month ago me and a couple of friends were at a bar . We were four , me( black), my gf ( white ), a close friend of mine ( asian ) and another close friend ( white ). At the end of the night, my two friends were leaving , i said something to my asian friend like , you better not drive , since you know asians tend to be bad drivers sober ( as a joke) , then she turn , and says later , shit! *stutters* face. I replied hey thats racist ( now this didn't really offend me since she didn't mean it in a racist way ). The my other friend which was white says , bye ****** . At this point i told my asian friend to get he out of here , and the my white friend was like , remember my dad is black ( her dad was black , and she was white as snow ,but it still really offended me ). And i have yet to speak to her again to this day , and don't intend to.

TL:DR having a black friend , lover or parent doesn't excuse saying racist things

Highlandheadbanger

Jan 8, 2009
sir.rutthed said:
I'll start off with homosexuality as a choice. I never got why some people are so offended by it, who the hell cares about WHY you're gay?
The claim that homosexuality is a choice is offensive because it is only really brought up in discussions of morality, and in this regards it implies a sort of wickedness and willingly evil action on the part of the individual. It implies that people who are attracted to the same gender are commmiting a crime against nature or against God, that the person is not dealing with internal feelings which he/she cannot understand or control (similar to race, gender, ethnicity , etc.), but rather willfully choosing to do something they know is wrong or vile.

As the boyfriend of a straight LGBT rights advocate, I've been introduced to people who have had to struggle to rationalize in their own minds their feelings for other people. I spoke to one man who'd been raised in a repressive evangelical household and failed in several attempts to commit suicide as a teenager. Despite all of his efforts to be straight, he couldn't force himself to like women instead of men. He thought himself an abomination, and tried to send himself to Hell because that was the only thing he felt he deserved.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
This only happened to me once, but it still perplexes me so. I used to work at a DD/BR and I was making a woman a couple of sundaes. I had just gotten one done and I started to ask her "What would you like the other one as?". I didn't get past "What", she gave me a look like I'd said "Go fuck yourself whore!" and stormed off muttering about "How dare you talk to me like that!". I have no idea what happened, I asked the other employee's I even asked a customer. Though, the customer said I cursed out loud within earshot of her daughter earlier and she wasn't even perturbed by it(I said damn when I burnt myself on some hot metal).

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
I got called out for saying "Jew" once. If you're Jewish and you practice Judaism, then you are a Jew. Just because you conjugate a word a certain way does not make it offensive, especially if you're using it correctly. Also, what should we say if not "black?"

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Whateveralot said:
I'm Dutch and met some crazy-religious people that find the Dutch word for "thunder" amazingly offensive.

It doesn't make sense to me, I never sought harm behind the word, but apparently they don't want you to mention smiting-tools of their God.
what is the ducth word for thunder?

Highlandheadbanger

Jan 8, 2009
kayisking said:
Whateveralot said:
I'm Dutch and met some crazy-religious people that find the Dutch word for "thunder" amazingly offensive.

It doesn't make sense to me, I never sought harm behind the word, but apparently they don't want you to mention smiting-tools of their God.
Yes, because atheist are often struck by bliksem.

OT: Meh, never really been in such a situation.
I can't say with total certainty from searching the internet, but from what I can tell, the Dutch word "Donder" is not offensive. However, the phrase "Donder Op" is equivocal to English's "Bugger Off" or its other variations "Piss Off" or "Fuck Off". If this is the case--correct me if I'm wrong--then "Donder Op" is an offensive statement hurled at an enemy or hated inferior. I know I got hit for using the words piss (slang for urine) or bugger (slang for sodomy) when I was a kid, maybe its the same thing in the Netherlands, I cannot say.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
krazykidd said:
TitanAtlas said:
Well... to me is when i'm telling a joke or talking to someone and say black people. But my friends sush me up like i'm saying a racist word or something. Never understood why. Some people are black other white, i think it's a normal thing.

When i was a kid i kinda thinked people would be offended when i said the term "Black" to refer to a person, but a friend of mine, wich was black, saied he would feel more offended if i didn't use the word, considering there would be a racist connection by not using a common and normal word.

So yeah...
Question , when you are talking about something do you ever say "white people" ? Or when talking about another thing and say yellow or orange or brown people( for asian , indonesian and indian )?

I do find that Offensive a bit , like i am being judged for being black , but it's not direct rascime perse , unless you follow up woth something racist.

Also rememer something , just because something doesn't offend on person ( usually a friend ) it doesn't mean it doesn't offend others . Something people tend to forget . Oh and having a close relationship to a person that is black ( or any race imo) doesn't make saying racist things less racist .

Example: a month ago me and a couple of friends were at a bar . We were four , me( black), my gf ( white ), a close friend of mine ( asian ) and another close friend ( white ). At the end of the night, my two friends were leaving , i said something to my asian friend like , you better not drive , since you know asians tend to be bad drivers sober ( as a joke) , then she turn , and says later , shit! *stutters* face. I replied hey thats racist ( now this didn't really offend me since she didn't mean it in a racist way ). The my other friend which was white says , bye ****** . At this point i told my asian friend to get he out of here , and the my white friend was like , remember my dad is black ( her dad was black , and she was white as snow ,but it still really offended me ). And i have yet to speak to her again to this day , and don't intend to.

TL:DR having a black friend , lover or parent doesn't excuse saying racist things
A single word destroy a friendship? I must say its sounds like you're ex friend is lucky to be rid of you.

Said without mallice, in what in your delivery makes it sound no less of a joke than your asian driver joke.

You are of course still prefectly allowed to be offended by it, but never speaking to them again?

Did said friend show any actual signs of racisim beyond this one statement? Especially regardless of her skin colour is mixed race.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
Highlandheadbanger said:
kayisking said:
Whateveralot said:

Yes, because atheist are often struck by bliksem.

OT: Meh, never really been in such a situation.
I can't say with total certainty from searching the internet, but from what I can tell, the Dutch word "Donder" is not offensive. However, the phrase "Donder Op" is equivocal to English's "Bugger Off" or its other variations "Piss Off" or "Fuck Off". If this is the case--correct me if I'm wrong--then "Donder Op" is an offensive statement hurled at an enemy or hated inferior. I know I got hit for using the words piss (slang for urine) or bugger (slang for sodomy) when I was a kid, maybe its the same thing in the Netherlands, I cannot say.
Correct indeed, but unlike bugger off, donder isn't a slang. It's a normal word with a very normal meaning, getting offended by it would be like getting offended by the word walk, because telling people to go take a walk is considered rude.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Highlandheadbanger said:
Nah it's not. It's the actual word itself, without even an insulting meaning to it. In common-wording, people can say: "ik donderde van de trap", which means: "I fell off the staircase" (fell being the translation of donderde, which is the "evil" word). I said that word to a colleague the other day in a non-offensive way but she didn't appreciate it and ignore me for the day.

Volf99 said:
Whateveralot said:

what is the ducth word for thunder?
As stated above, it's "donder".

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Deathmageddon said:
I got called out for saying "Jew" once. If you're Jewish and you practice Judaism, then you are a Jew. Just because you conjugate a word a certain way does not make it offensive, especially if you're using it correctly. Also, what should we say if not "black?"
The use of "Jew" as a slur isn't even really that outdated. It's not "just because you conjugate a word."

Oddly enough, I'm yet to ever encounter a situation where I was forbidden from use of the word "black" to describe a black person.

If the situation ever arises, I will probably have to come up with something, though. Perhaps I should start thinking now....

Zio_IV

Not a Premium Member
Sep 17, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
I never get why people are offended by anything. Neither why they make such a big deal out of being offended.

You're all just odd.

If you're offended, so what? Who gives a flying fornication? I certainly don't. Go whine to the PCpolice. Until the day comes when they can censor my words as they leave my big-ass flappy mouth, I'm going to keep saying things that offend people and there aint a damn thing you can do about it... well in real life there isn't. Can't ban me from that.

But seriously, I never get offended. I either ignore the person spewing hateful bile and get on with my day. Or I laugh at the offensive joke and get on with my day.

Because in the words of Frankie Boyle.

"It's alright madam, it's just a joke."
Pretty much this.

Most people don't seem to realize that just as we are all capable of "scathing remarks", we're equally capable of just ignoring them. Hell, people have talked to me in the past many, MANY times in a manner that some would consider offensive. I make the choice to not care about what they say. It's as simple as that. Those who get offended are making that choice for themselves; no one is forcing them to feel that way or act upon those feelings. This is one of those subjects where I really don't understand why it's a problem in today's society.

People who feel offended by certain subjects need to learn how to roll through and just continue with their lives, instead of trying to lash back in any manner (big or small), and in doing so, come off as insecure about the matter, even if they're not. I'm willing to bet that their lives will significantly improve after doing just that. I know mine has.

baker80

Oct 17, 2008
Why do people get so angry when I am a flaming asshole to them!? It's just not fair, I should be able to be as rude and disrespectful as I want without people being offended! q_q

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Deathmageddon" post="18.323353.13245954 said:
I got called out for saying "Jew" once. If you're Jewish and you practice Judaism, then you are a Jew. Just because you conjugate a word a certain way does not make it offensive, especially if you're using it correctly. Also, what should we say if not "black?"[/quote

I'm a JEW and you your identifying someone then I think your in the right to call them that. I hate it when people get offended on my behalf.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
sir.rutthed said:
There are certain things that are just flat out rude. Sadly, some of us didn't get the memo and don't quite get the "why" of it.
Because offensiveness isn't a quality- it's a choice by the offended party to take offense. Anything can be offensive. I could take offense at this thread, and say, 'This thread has offended me!' But it doesn't mean that the thread is in any way innately offensive.

It's like beauty: offensiveness is in the eye of the beholder. And that's why some people take offense at really really stupid things: because we are all different and some people are just plain stupid.

That's not a license for rudeness: it should be pretty easy for us well-adjusted people to judge whether a given statement will cause offense or not, and there is no reason to cause it needlessly. But when a person is not socially adjusted they might cause offense or take offense in situations that would strike the rest of us strange.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I dont get when people say `If I say [offensive thing] to my friend who is [certain group] they dont get offended so ALL people of that group shouldn't get offended`.

Thats just stupid. I can't count how many times I've heard `but my friend X is a woman and she doesn't find this offensive`.
As if I'm supposed to go `Oh, I must have missed the memo at the last global woman meeting`.