Waiting For Godot

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
The point just flew over my head and appears to be on a flight to Mexico.
In other words...
Ya lost me after Johnny Depp.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Ha, 2 hours ago I wouldn't have got this, but we were talking about this play today in class. Really funny.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I have actually seen this in the west end with Sir Ian Mckellen in it. Actually very clever abstract play. Still not 100% sure what its about, but for having 2 acts with 4 characters where each act only has subtle differences from the other. I really enjoyed it. Equal parts pensive hilarious and tragic.

If this is what we have to do to get Tim over his Depp obsession I am in

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
I think it may be about the fact that in the play godot never actually shows up, so jonny depp wouldn't actually be in that movie.
I don't think that's funny though.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
So either Johnny depp is so bad that he should be given a role that doesn't exist, or that he's so good that a role that originally didn't exist should be made for him. At least, that's what I can gather from it.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
I guess the joke is that they always put Johnny Depp as the Poster boy of Tim Burton Movies, (see Alice in Wonderland) and if this were real, it would be a great way to trick people into seeing a movie since in Waiting for Godot; Godot doesn't actually show up at all... :p

Brainwreck

Dec 2, 2012
So is this about a bipolar world of mutually broken classes of society dashing blindly towards its own nuclear destruction? Or just a silly joke because Godot never actually shows up and people would still watch, waiting for Johny Depp?
I really shouldn't have read the play. It's weird.

Helen Jones

Oct 31, 2011
This is a play about the pointlessness of life.

It is mainly about two men, Estragon and Vladmir, who are waiting for a man Godot, a play on the word God.
There are only two other characters, Pozzo, a slave-master, and his slave Lucky. If this seems like a tiny cast it's because it is, it's desolate. Lucky only has one line in the entire play, but this one line (in my version of the text) takes up 3 entire pages, it's complete gibberish.
(Also saw the Ian McKellen version, and I really wish I could find a recording of Lucky's speech, it was brilliant.)

Point is, God(ot) never shows up, Johnny Depp will never get his part. The play ends with them agreeing to leave and not come back, but they freeze, they never exit the stage.

There was also this lovely story that came out-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1277418/Sir-Ian-McKellen-mistaken-tramp-rehearses-play.html

To lighten the mood at the end, McKellen and Roger Rees did a tap dance. Y'all missed out.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Eternal_Lament said:
So either Johnny depp is so bad that he should be given a role that doesn't exist, or that he's so good that a role that originally didn't exist should be made for him. At least, that's what I can gather from it.
I think it's more of a question of: "If Godot was a character, what would he be like?" To that end I like to think that he would be played by Depp; a theoretical man has that Sparrow-Wonka-Hatter quality to him.
Also, of course, it's poking fun at the fact that Depp plays the grandiose figure in pretty much every single one of Burton's films, but this way he could only play that character if he didn't play him at all. It's kinda like a Catch 22 waiting for Godot.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Nah, it's poking fun at how weird screen adaptations of plays could be. I'm reading it as a joke that if Tim Burton made such a movie, not only when Godot appear (Played by Johnny Depp) but he would get more screen time than any other character.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
BurnedOutMyEyes said:
I really shouldn't have read the play. It's weird.
Reading a play?! Reading a play?! What's next? Playing a novel? Listening to a painting? Plays are watched, not read, or you should not bother appreciating them at all!

TheMich88 said:
... you forgot a t in Beckett. :D
And this is why we don't let artists write...

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Grey Carter said:
The wait is nearly over...
No, not TOO obscure, but pretty close.

The poster would be pretty funny if I saw it in real life though. EDIT: assuming Tim did it right (which he probably won't) and we

never actually meet Godot, we just spend the whole movie waiting for this wacky-looking dude like the characters do.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Oh, Tim Burton, he would do this.
Godot is never actually present on stage, or seen or heard in any way in the play.