We Dare Gets 12+ Rating, Parents Go Nuts

carnege4

Feb 11, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
"I have a 13 year old daughter and if I knew she was playing such a highly charged sexual game with boys, I would be appalled," said Laura Pearson of Birmingham. "It is encouraging under-age sex." Another parent said the game will "fuel sexual tensions" and could lead to "sexual touching or assault."

Short Answer: Watch your kids

Long Answer: It's your duty, as parents, give education and see what your son/daughter, plays, don't put the blame on the games, because without your money, they can't be acquired, and unless your kids stole your money, YOU decide what to buy TO HIM.

Life is a ***** no?

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Oh come on, even if you do go as far as the ad, it's nothing that teenagers can't do anyway. And it's not like the game makes you use the wiimote as a strap on - it's all perfectly innocent even if a little "playful".

Shadie777

Feb 1, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
"I have a 13 year old daughter and if I knew she was playing such a highly charged sexual game with boys, I would be appalled," said Laura Pearson of Birmingham. "It is encouraging under-age sex."
Encouraging under-age sex? Really?
These parents probably haven't even played the game. And seriously under-age sex has been frequently happening for years, this game won't be that much of an encouragement. These sort of people would be probably having sex instead of playing this "sexy" game in the first place. >_>

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
Exactly who is going to be buying this game? Last time I checked, there wasn't a big spouse-swapper demographic crying for swinger party games (although maybe now there will be?).

Anyway, ridiculous game, ridiculous age rating, ridiculous reaction.

The Imp said:
Oh come on. I've played Twister when i was 12 and that lead to my first gf. What's next? Ban Twister because people invade each others "personal space"? Ban bottles because you could spin them? That is so fucking stupid. Heads are blown off left and right in videogames and no one gives a fuck but when people play a, admittedly stupid, movement game or RPG with sexual scenes everyone and their mom freaks the fuck out? In that regard, the UK and USA aren't that different from some countries in the middle east.
As much as I agree with your overall message, the argument that people turn a blind eye to digital violence but are outraged by sexuality in games falls flat in this situation, because that argument refers only to sex/violence in games, whereas this "sexy" Wii game promotes sexual activity outside the game. You can argue exactly how sexy anything can be when you're holding a Wiimote, but the point still remains that once you start spanking a woman on your lap to play a game, the sexual element of that game ceases to be fantasy and becomes real.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
The only thing that really crossed my mind (well one of the things) was that the minigame where the couples were seemingly spanking each other on the ass, sorry wiimote, reminded me of NiGHTS into Dreams, though I'm sure in that game you didn't need to do that in order to fly through the rings...;)

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
'If I knew she was playing such sexually charged games.'

And why, good madam, would you not know? Surely she is your child, and at the age of thirteen you leave her in the care of other parents who are as responsible as you, or within your own care?

Maybe if you don't want her buying this game you should actually take an interest in her purchases? My parents seemed to have a sixth sense about when I'd bought something I really shouldn't have. Generally they didn't care of course because they trusted me but these parents clearly don't seem to trust their children.

I think that's it, the problem of the 'new generation' isn't them, it's their parents. My parents trusted and respected me, and that earned my trust and respect. Maybe if you want to know what your daughter is donig you should learn to treat her like another human being instead of your own personal property.
*high-five*

Sorry, personal issues.

On topic: Meh, it's obvious that Ubisoft is playing it up to get the 'lol wtf lets buy this for teh lulz' market.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Some of you really prove how insular your thinking is. You have to look at the situation from the view of someone outside the game community, not from the view of someone inside the game community who constantly wants to believe that there's nothing wrong with gaming. The ad campaign sends a very confusing message that the game is a sexual party game. Regardless of any actual overt acts of sex being non-existent in the game, the ad campaign sets the context that the various mini-games are innuendo representative of sexual acts or sexual situations. The confusion is then compounded by the fact that the game is given a 12+ rating. To the general buying public, they will take such a rating to mean that the game should be appropriate for age 12 and up. However, with the ad setting a sexual context to the game, as far as the general buying public is concerned, the game now appears to be trying to encourage sex and sexual situations to minors. Regardless if you feel the conclusions are rational or not(by the way, the conclusion actually is rational and sane, if you take the time to think from the view of someone not emotionally vested in the idea gaming can never be wrong or bad) this is the perception obtained by the rest of the world. Ubisoft showed great irresponsibility by not taking the time to think how the total situation my generate a confusing or controversial message. Even worse, if they did make such a consideration and were counting on the generation of controversy to generate free marketing and hype. Such actions only serve to put gaming in a further negative light from the perception of the rest of the world and garners even less sympathy for any loss of freedom that gamers may suffer.

The gaming industry and the gaming community really needs to pull its collective head from the depths of its own colon and learn to realize the effects such actions have on others and how others may perceive our actions. The game industry and the gaming community are constantly suffering under the perception of being saturated with a bunch of immature, irresponsible, disrespectful, irreverent, deviants that represent nothing but the worst of humanity. Such actions as taken here by Ubisoft(and, honestly, many of the attitudes that gamers display) only reinforce and justify that perception as truth to the rest of the world.

Perception is reality, no matter how much you may rationalize otherwise, and being condescending about it does not give anyone any sympathy for the argument.

Nov 12, 2010
Thing is that you are rating the game which from what I saw looked something like those Mario Galaxy games.The interaction isn't rated.Are we gonna ban Wii Sports for crossing swords?

Comando96

May 26, 2009
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2794-An-Open-Letter-to-EA-Marketing
I just want to quote extra credits here: 4:00

"And that that brings us to the present. A newly humbled EA finally understanding the impact they have been having on gaming image, tries to move the medium forward and improve their bottom line with a series of respectful OH COMMON EA!"

Just paraphrase that and you'll have this crap Wii "sex game".

All they have done is the EA style, controversial advert in order to improve sales... it may work but the game is gonna be shit.

Probably the sort of the you could complete if you put the wii remove in a tumble-drier for an hour or two.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
ME: If you really don't want your child playing it, don't buy it for them.
Overeacting Parent: NO! NO NO NO! It's sexuality of any sort! BURN IT FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.
ME: I do think that your name is true and that you are overeacting.
Overeacting Parent: Your one of the monsters trying to corrupt my child! Your a MONSTER!!!
ME: I'm leaving.
Small Boy: Mommy, I'm curiouse about girls...
Overeacting Mother:... My god... YOU'VE BEEN TAINTED!!! *Punch*

OT: I refer to my 1st line of dialauge in this preformance and bid you adue.

Kilgengoor

Sep 7, 2010
my primary concern is, this game is quite similar in both structure and appearance to other wii minigame compilations. It's got a relatively innocent title ("we dare") and it's got a PEGI-12.

Not to shamefully advertise
I uh...

I really think Ubisoft broke another barrier in the history of gamemaking. No, really, this could be a milestone in the history of making games. Let's consider a few basic points:

1- There is an innuendous videogame marketed as PEGI 12.
2- It's shockingly similar to any other Wii games in both appearance and form.
3- There is a commercial, an apparently full-fledged, ready to be put on televisions and such commercial. Now this is important.
4- It closely ressembles all of the previous Wii commercials.

Now, while I sincerely don't give a damn about the PEGI system in this particular game (I would since it suggests it's time somebody puts his/her shit together and wonders how and who are really "protecting" with the current game gradient, but I think there are more pressing issues at hand) please let me rant at length about points 2, 3 and 4. Here's why I think Ubisoft has done something that, either because of its edginess or because of the shame it entices, nobody has done before:

Ubisoft has taken a videogame franchise: its art style, its basic gameplay structure and even its commercial image and has given it a full 180-degree turn into something nobody would have even THOUGHT about. It has taken the family-friendly-hey-everybody-can-play formula of advertising (that I frankly find kinda lazy but oh well) and has reproduced it, only instead of granpas playing soccer keep-ups with the children it depicts people sadly playing a videogame trying to get laid. I think it's out of place, because that is a kind of videogame we had learned to correlate with a very specific kind of product. It's like a salami brand started marketing its products as dildos. Yeah, you can use them as sexual products alright, and yeah, it's still salami and delicious but it's deeply, deeply disturbing. I personally won't be able to shake that commercial from my head whenever I'll be playing Wii Sports, same as I'd feel dirty when eating any Salami, even if I was guarranteed that it's untainted (heh... "taint").

Really, let it sink in. They took one of the most iconical Wii franchises and transformed it into a spicy game.

It's not just that though. This game will mark a milestone in gaming in that it's shamefully, directly and only marketed as a naughty game. I don't know if I'm forgetting any other games (I only skimmed around the replies before me) but even though there's always been blatantly sexual minigames, there's never been something that both marketed itself as a specifically naughty product and with an ad campaign that I at least consider ready to be marketed to a wide audience. Yeah, you've got things like the uncanny valley perversion that was DOA Extreme Volleyball, and you've got things like the Hot Coffee GTA mod and buried condoms in Fable III, but these have always been hidden away and even then have been subjected to voracious complaints. And then you have something that not only falls even below (in my standards) than any dry-humping or virtual mini-bikinis would, but it's marketed both under the same form of any other Wii minigame compilation, but also for people 12 and up AND as something that could easily be sold next to Wii Sports for all we know.

Now, I don't consider myself somebody that would be alarmed about these games, but the deliberate choice of every factor in this game astonishes me. I don't know. Make all the sexy games you want but... you know, try and retain some dignity while doing so.
but that is a fucking disaster waiting to happen. I think it's an irresponsible risk from a company that prefers a quick buck than making sensible decisions.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Oh sure 'cause no one has ever used a Wii Remote to smack their friends on the ass... What?

And honestly i have to say that i think the person saying it's just a modern day "spin the bottle" is the only one not spouting nonsense.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Woodsey said:
If you actually watch the gameplay clips in the ad, all the "sexy" (I hesitate to call it that) stuff is being done by the actors.

And the age ratings are for the game, not the ad, so maybe these parent groups should get a clue.
Depends, if the game instructs you to put the wiimote in your waistband and have your partner spank you to control the game then that should be an 18 rated game. I'm guessing in this case the game does not explicitly instruct the player to do that and that's why the ratings board have had to rate it only as a cartoony looking flight sim (judging by the gameplay shown in the ad). Still the clear intent of the game is for sexual foreplay so it shouldn't be marketed to anyone under 18, 16 at a push.

Ulquiorra4sama said:
Oh sure 'cause no one has ever used a Wii Remote to smack their friends on the ass... What?

And honestly i have to say that i think the person saying it's just a modern day "spin the bottle" is the only one not spouting nonsense.
Yeah, it's kind of like spin the bottle with a little light groping. But we shouldn't be encouraging 12 year olds to be playing spin the bottle! In fact any responsible parent should be doing their utmost to teach their kid that it's not cool to play those games.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Actual said:
Woodsey said:
If you actually watch the gameplay clips in the ad, all the "sexy" (I hesitate to call it that) stuff is being done by the actors.

And the age ratings are for the game, not the ad, so maybe these parent groups should get a clue.
Depends, if the game instructs you to put the wiimote in your waistband and have your partner spank you to control the game then that should be an 18 rated game. I'm guessing in this case the game does not explicitly instruct the player to do that and that's why the ratings board have had to rate it only as a cartoony looking flight sim (judging by the gameplay shown in the ad). Still the clear intent of the game is for sexual foreplay so it shouldn't be marketed to anyone under 18, 16 at a push.
Well, the clear intent of the ad is to present the game as such. Whether the intent of the game is that is unlikely, given the rating.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
If only the Wii had achievements.

Achievement Unlocked 25G: Give Yourself a Hand, play through the game once on solo mode.

Ahahahhahaha.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Natdaprat said:
12 does seem a little low. 15+ I could agree with. But ultimately, it's spin the bottle on the Wii.
I think that's the thing though. Technically, the game contains no content that is too mature for a 12 year old 9as far as I can tell, there isn't actual sex, or 'sexually charged moments'. Anyone who actually plays this game would either be too young to understand the sexual content, too pubescent to take a sexual videogame seriously, or mature enough to play it in good fun. Apart from dorky-horny teenagers who'd have sex anyway, there isn't any actual demographic (above 12) for which that game can be seen as innappropriate.