We should eat insects

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
"Everyone blocks out their first time consuming flesh from memory..." - paraphrase from the cannibal lady in Skyrim

That's what this sounds like....

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
If they tasted as good as a steak or a chicken, I'd be fine with it, but they probably don't. But then I am fairly happy having the cows killed for my pleasure.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
I am inclined to say yes. I think for my taste it would be better if they were ground into some sort of paste or bar or whatever.

But, they consume far less food and have much more protein than regular meats, and are almost completely lacking in fat.

And you even avoid the ethical issues associated with killing higher animals for food. I mean come on. You can argue that a cow has a personality and wants to live, but you'd have a tough time arguing that a cicada or grasshopper has the same take on the world.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'd be for it. I generally eat anything presented to me, at least once. I've had snails before, not bad, very smoky flavor to them.

I've heard that spiders are actually very good, taste kinda like crab.

AKDread

Yabadabadoo
Jun 1, 2012
im down to eat anything really, just give me a plate of something edible and i will give it a try

and Escargot is delicious

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
It's healthy (apparently) and would certainly solve starvation. With that said, you're going to have to make the insect pretty unrecognizable to make me eat it.

Then again there are things that are far more disgusting. This was in a hamburger.

http://upstrm.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/pink-slime.jpg

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
SkarKrow said:
But they tried to kill stephen fry!
Ah, I'm too late, I was gonna post that

katsumoto03 said:
No. No, no, no, nope.

I hate insects. They suck and should all die. I'm dead serious.
Then kill em then eat em. It's just wasteful otherwise.

I'm thinking there will be a lot(and I mean a lot) of inertia at first but I think people who are weary might get over their fear and be more open to eating them. Eventually. That or just go vegan and leave more for the people who actually do.

I propose catchy jingles with an anthropomorphic insect mascot("Iiiiiiiiiiiiit's Wally the Woodlouse!"), maybe some new fast food branches or adding insects to existing branches("New to Mc Donald's;Ant-chieldas"). I also propose gallons of alcohol to overcome this initial inertia.

Anyway, I've tried chocolate ants and Scorpion lollipops but those were just sweet. I don't know, Get some really good chef, make the presentation and taste good and I might be willing to wolf down a fried spider or Linguini A la grasshopper. At the very least it'll be an experience.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Well we eat Quorn as shit as it is. Sure. I'm game. Delicious deep fried tarantulas for all. So long as i can wrap it in bacon.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I don't see insects being a very practical source of nutrition. They're really small and squirmy, require a decent amount of space (crowd insects together and they'll fight each other), and in the end you don't get much actual food for your effort. I'd estimate your average insect provides as much sustenance as a pistachio, but requires significantly more effort to produce. So why bother with insects at all, instead of just eating more nutritious fruits, vegetables, and legumes.

And this is on top of the fact that eating bugs is goddamned gross.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
OlasDAlmighty said:
I don't see insects being a very practical source of nutrition. They're really small and squirmy, require a decent amount of space (crowd insects together and they'll fight each other), and in the end you don't get much actual food for your effort. I'd estimate your average insect provides as much sustenance as a pistachio, but requires significantly more effort to produce. So why bother with insects at all, instead of just eating more nutritious fruits, vegetables, and legumes.

And this is on top of the fact that eating bugs is goddamned gross.
Perhaps, but they're far more efficient than say beef which requires gigantic amounts of land and resources and contributes to the worsening environment in some areas.

I don't know how it compares to plants, but insects are a source of protein that vegetables don't have.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Frission said:
OlasDAlmighty said:
Perhaps, but they're far more efficient than say beef which requires gigantic amounts of land and resources and contributes to the worsening environment in some areas.
Pretty much anything seems efficient when you compare it to producing beef. Especially when you corn feed the animals. However, that doesn't stop people from doing it. Apparently efficient use of resources isn't the most important factor in choosing foods to produce/consume.

Frission said:
I don't know how it compares to plants, but insects are a source of protein that vegetables don't have.
Protein can be found in all kinds of things, including many vegetables. Asparagus, cauliflower Nuts, seeds, legumes, soy, oats, and even some forms of wheat all have it. We aren't in need of another source of non-meat protein.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
Hmmm, the only insect I've ever eaten was a grasshopper coated in sugar, and it tastes like... well, sugar. A bit crunchy here and there (The legs I assume, or it could be the whole thing? Who knows.) but it wasn't puke inducing or anything of the sort. Just...
Samurai Silhouette said:
...yeah, it's hard to argue with this. Still, if you were to just roast it, or mash it... maybe make a lovely sauce of it. It could work, just don't tell your customers what they're eating.

Oh yeah, and I've had roasted scorpion too. It tastes like chicken. Everything you won't eat tastes like chicken.

Captcha: Nutrition. Ok, this accuracy is just plain creepy.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
ZehMadScientist said:
Hmmm, the only insect I've ever eaten was a grasshopper coated in sugar, and it tastes like... well, sugar. A bit crunchy here and there (The legs I assume, or it could be the whole thing? Who knows.) but it wasn't puke inducing or anything of the sort. Just...
Samurai Silhouette said:
...yeah, it's hard to argue with this. Still, if you were to just roast it, or mash it... maybe make a lovely sauce of it. It could work, just don't tell your customers what they're eating.

Oh yeah, and I've had roasted scorpion too. It tastes like chicken. Everything you won't eat tastes like chicken.

Captcha: Nutrition. Ok, this accuracy is just plain creepy.
You do realise you're meant to bite the head off that grub right? They always say that's what you do on shows where they eat that stuff...

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
JokerboyJordan said:
ZehMadScientist said:
Snipped because I don't want to see that gif anymore
You do realise you're meant to bite the head off that grub right? They always say that's what you do on shows where they eat that stuff...
Yeah, that's what I found out later as well. I'm not too familiar with the proper etiquettes for eating bugs... Besides, I ate it on a dare, and my friends went easy on me; there were a lot more disturbing little buggers crawling about on display. *Shudder*

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
Depends on the insect and how it tastes. If I like the taste/texture and it won't harm me I'll eat anything. I haven't had any well prepared insects before so I wouldn't know if they can taste good and I haven't had a proper opportunity to eat them. I imagine there are some insects out there that taste good, and I know from experience that there are some that taste horrible.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
Absolutely not. Bugs are for birds and reptiles and other bugs. Give me a cow or a chicken any day.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Id be open to trying some insects if they were readily available in restaurants and grocery stores. I think a lot of them would be pretty good with the right seasoning or sauce, they would have a nice crispy texture I'd think. Again though, they're not readily available for my consumption and I'm not inclined to go out of my way to get them : \

If a restaurant had some variety of deep fried insect with dipping sauce, I'd give it a try, it sounds like an interesting appetizer.