We should forgive Bioware.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I despised Bioware ever since I seen the original ME3 ending so shortly after the dissapointing DA2, but I am learning to forgive as I am finding The old republic quite enjoyable with its focus on story and dialogue.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Sure, if they make a good game, and don't pull any s***, why not buy it. Maybe they've learnt something.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Wombok said:
I won't forgive them for their past transgressions but I will buy their new games if they cease to be rushed out, crowd sourced pieces of crap with terrible writing and game mechanics I personally find unfavourable.(Voiced protaganist, twitch emphasised combat etc)

TheDoctor455 said:
Hmm... with ME3 I think I have somewhat more call to be resentful of the endings (even after the EC) than some people.

Why?
Because I wrote a 20-page paper on the series... mainly ME1...
where I discussed and analyzed what I thought one of the key themes of the series was...
"uniting in spite of differences"... the endings for ME3, yes, all of them, even the new one...
betray that theme, and the Starchild's mere existence turns ME1 into a giant plothole.
What you assumed to be a 'key theme' of ME1 was never a key theme in the first place.
Not an assumption. There was plenty of evidence to support that in ME1, ME2, and even in ME3, its simply that the endings for ME3 take a giant shit all over that an treat it as if none of it mattered.

ME1: Human and alien fleets unite to take down Sovereign - and win. And before that, you hold an incredibly diverse crew of humans aliens together with very few incidents.

ME2: You end up with an even more diverse crew and hold it together... even though some members of the crew want to kill each other, you get them all to work together to take down the Collectors.

ME3: Curing the genophage so that the turians and krogan work together (even most of the salaraians join in anyway). Clearer example... ending a genocidal war between the quarians and the geth so that they can work together to help you fight the Reapers... and if they both survive, it looks like their future together will be a very good one.

However, the endings for ME3 contradict all of that by implying that all of your efforts towards uniting the galaxy were useless. Because in the end, you can either choose one of three colored explosions, or everyone dies. Even after the EC, it really is nothing more than 3 differently colored explosions.

As for ME1...

there has always been an effort in the ME universe between species to unite in spite of differences to work together...

remember the translators implanted in every piece of armor, and most clothing? Ever read the codex entry for it? It requires its own, very specialized computing software and hardware, and it takes years of work to fully translate a new alien language so that everyone else can understand it as well. This implies that there is an entire industry in the ME universe devoted towards making the language barrier irrelevant, and thus, aiding in uniting the galaxy.

So, no, not an assumption on my part. I'm just incredibly frustrated that, apparently, Case Hudson didn't think "uniting in spite of differences" wasn't an important enough theme (despite the body of evidence I've just given you) to play a major role in how ME3 ends. Which is a very cheap shot.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
That people honestly take themselves seriously in this context is both sad and funny.

"Okay, guys... I know this company made some games some of us didn't like, but maybe it's time we forgive them. I know, I know! It's hard. But it's for the best. Let's forgive the video game company for making a product I don't like and move on with our lives. It will be tough, but we can do it. Together."

Just some games, duders. Get over it.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
Already done. Although that may have been easier for me, as I don't think they've been nearly as bad as it has been said they are. I enjoyed Dragon Age 2, loved Mass Effect 3 for 99% of it, and didn't care for The Old Republic to begin with.
Okay, there's seven pages so normally I wouldn't throw my two cents in, but I LOVE your avatar. Troy's so fun. :3

OT: I, like every person with a soul, loved Mass Effect 3 right up and to the end of it. But in a way that I never thought possible, that 5 minutes wrecked any enjoyment I got from the story (and while I love the combat, it's not THAT great). Because of that utterly royal screwup that violated all sorts of promises and implications, I can no longer trust a Bioware product until it is completed. If they start doing something right, I will gladly reward them.

But for now I cannot trust Bioware in good faith, as they have shown that they haven't been working in good faith.

RIP Bioware, curse you EA

CyanideMaximus

Jun 25, 2012
Sorry, no, we should not forgive Bioware. It's about time "gamers" (how I hate that term) stop rewarding companies that have been publishing travesties.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
I was never much of a fan, my gf is a HUGE fan, tho. I have found most of their games to be boring or just not my style. That being said, I was an early beta tester for TOR, and absolutely loved that game. Unfortunately, the execution of it when it went gold (too many servers, not enough players, etc) just made it unplayable as an MMO, so I went back to my old games.

I'm not sure I ever "trusted" Bioware, as I wasn't a fan of their more popular series, and I certainly didn't buy a game because their name was on it. I won't discount them, tho, and will continue to give their games a chance (most likely after my gf has bought the game and I can try her copy).

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
I didnt get to play ME3 yet but i liked dragon age 2 and found it engaging and fun. Not perfect but fun. I never was mad at bioware and still when they announce a title i look at it and if it interests me i buy it. Iv never just jumped to buying a game just because a certain someone made it

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
I wouldn't say that I hate Bioware, or that I won't buy their next title, but I'm more.. cautious now. ME3 and DA2 were huge disappointments for me. Two giant disappoints in a row is enough to shake anyone's faith in a company. And they both failed because Bioware tried to reach a broader audience. They cut down on the RPG elements in ME3 (despite saying they'd add MORE) in favor of a heavily cover-based shooting gameplay style. and DA2... god damn, DA2--where do I even begin? I'm not even going to touch on why DA2 is awful, as it would take me several paragraphs to list everything.

I like shooters, don't get me wrong. I love Call of Duty--play it every day, but that's not what I want Mass Effect to be. And with each release of Mass Effect, they moved further and further away from the RPG that I loved. So.. I'll keep my eye on DA3, but I'm probably gonna pick it up when it's in the bargain bin, if at all, regardless of what people say about it.

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
Bioware isn't the problem, they're as talented as ever, it's all EA's influence and the oppressive political culture that has infiltrated the studio that is the real problem. A handful of core devs should jump ship and form their own company, start making the games they want to again. Watch the quality gradually come back.

In summary:
BIOWARE = GOOD
EA = BAD mostly because they aren't gamers but businessmen at heart, and are overly focused on the bottom line

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
Allow me to suggest that the problem isn't with the execution of the games, but the lack of artistic risk. The issue with Bioware isn't that they're incompetent: nobody disagrees with the notion that they're able to produce a well-written, enjoyable game. The problem is that they've ceased to be willing or able to take any creative risks in doing so, which is a fairly disappointing capitulation given their previous work.