well, the the escapist was just attacked.

Doclector

New member
Aug 22, 2009
5,010
0
0
Wonder who did it. The escapist as a whole seems neither a bastion of gamergate nor fully against it. Unless there's some appearance we put across from the outside, that is. Seems like it'd be hard to believe that it'd be completely unrelated, but what side did it? Unless, of course, it's someone just doing it for fun, getting a kick out of the fallout.
 

Muspelheim

New member
Apr 7, 2011
2,023
0
0
Wasn't any suggestions on the point of "Feminism is a rather wide spectrum, not all of them are that radical and generally batty" met with a stern "Aha! No True Scotsman! A line must be drawn somewhere!" a while ago? I seem to remember that being in vogue for a while.
 

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
33,804
0
0
NuclearKangaroo said:
Barbas said:
erttheking said:
Witty Name Here said:
BobDobolina said:
Witty Name Here said:
To anyone curious.
It goes even deeper. The "hardware failure" explanation was planted on the Escapist's twitter by the Illuminati. They've been behind the SJW agenda all along. The Shriners and the Reptoids from Zeta Reticuli are in on it too. No one is safe.
Archon confirmed that it's a DDoS attack. It's specifically going after the Gamergate thread.

You have no leg to stand on.

The simple fact of the matter is the world sees the Anti-GG types for what they are now. This hacking is because they disrespect the basic tenants of free speech. They hate, loathe, the loss of their control. They're desperate to silence the opposition and will use any means necessary to do so.

This is what the SJW side is truly like. This is what those who look at all the evidence and are still Anti-GG support.

Doxxing, Hacking, DDoS, these are the tools those who are against Gamergate. They can't win with logic. They can't win with the press. They're now trying (and failing) to win with borderline illegal methods and threatening those who support Gamergate into silence.
Yes, what happened here was pretty damn despicable. I'm still staying neutral in this whole mess though. Still way too much garbage going on on both sides. (Also, I have to say, are we certain that this was an anti-GG move? We sure it wasn't just someone trying to piss people off?)
I side with Jim, who sides with Ganondorf (Peace be upon Him) - The person who hacked represents only the person who hacked. We cannot currently say more.
when its one guy in the gamergate crowd, its the gamergate crowd's fault

when its one guy in the anti-gamer gate crowd, its the fault of that guy in the anti-gamer gate crowd

i wonder if jim will address this... no im sure he wont
You've just repeated what the last person said to me...are you surmising that I'm untrustworthy because I solely blamed the person who committed the deed and not a whole crowd of people? Does this mean you're going to label me as being "against" you now?

Come on now, Nuclear. This is ridiculous. It's not rational. We all want more from this industry, but this isn't the way to go about it. And Jim did address it on twitlonger [http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s5bla7] (though he was reluctant to). After you just put words in my mouth, can you really blame the man for his reluctance? He sees what's happening here.

Do you not see it, Nuclear? People, human beings, have had their personal lives scrutinized. Strangers have rifled through their personal information and correspondences with all the gleeful abandon of a witchfinder general. They've found themselves put on all sorts of lists for things they have and haven't said.

Angry mobs aren't known for building edifices, they're known for rioting and tearing them down. That is not worth the change you are asking for. It cannot be forced. Calmer heads will prevail here.
 

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
1,146
0
0
Ten Foot Bunny said:
Witty Name Here said:
Rather ironic that Gamergate tries to shout down the harassment, discourages actions like this, and yet there are still Anti-GG folks talking about an alleged "image problem" and saying blatantly obvious things like "YOU ALL SHOULDN'T SUPPORT HARASSMENT" (we don't)

Yet as soon as hacks against GG are thrown in their face it becomes "THAT'S ONLY REPRESENTATIVE OF ONE DOUCHEBAG! I'M SERIOUS GUYS!"

Regardless, at least the forums are back up and, hopefully, the dick behind this is caught.
So you know, for a 100% fact, that "anti-GG" was behind this? What is your evidence? If it's that the GG thread was the primary attack point, then sorry, that doesn't say anything at all about WHO did this. It doesn't even remotely explain why they did it. Placing blame at this point is nothing but counterproductive conjecture.
Evidence? Well for one Gamergate supporters have been getting doxxed on twitter often recently. Secondly a post was put out by a former 4chan mod implying that m00t and the remaining mods there are planning on doxxing folks, though they aren't sure what to do with people who have proxxies, finally yes, the gamergate thread was the one attacked here.

Granted, it's the epitomy of hilarity that the same group that screeches that gamergate has been attacking Anita and Zoe, all without evidence, is so quick to try and shut down the conversation and start saying "there isn't enough evidence" as soon as their side is shown for what it is.
So...you have none? No proof it was an Anti-Gamergate person but are assuming stuff? Then try and justify it by making a false comparison to make your side seem like an Angel? Cute.

Oh, and "side is shown for what it is"? What in the everliving hell does that mean?
 

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
48,837
0
0
Doclector said:
The escapist as a whole seems neither a bastion of gamergate nor fully against it. Unless there's some appearance we put across from the outside, that is.
Just like how there are the stereotypes that 4chan is all evil and tumblr is all whining; the Escapist has its own stereotype out there. It used to be (could still be for all I know) that we were all elitist jerks who considered ourselves the only 'last bastion of intelligence' on the internet. These days? Well, I have no idea. I've got better things to worry about. =P
 

V4Viewtiful

New member
Feb 12, 2014
721
0
0
Geez man, forgive this old sayin' but

"Shit jus' got reel!" Screw who ever did this (and I advice you not to), This GG thing has reached boiling point, out right censoring of discussion and now direct attacks. What next, Jim Sterling becomes humble?
 

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
807
0
0
Witty Name Here said:
Evidence? Well for one Gamergate supporters have been getting doxxed on twitter often recently. Secondly a post was put out by a former 4chan mod implying that m00t and the remaining mods there are planning on doxxing folks, though they aren't sure what to do with people who have proxxies, finally yes, the gamergate thread was the one attacked here.
Ah, so that means, with 100% accuracy, that today's attacks came from the anti-GG side? Some people getting doxxed (by sources unknown), a post on 4chan implying that something might happen, and an attack on this site that's currently of unknown origin and motive?

That's a bunch of "if's" to me.

Granted, it's the epitomy of hilarity that the same group that screeches that gamergate has been attacking Anita and Zoe, all without evidence, is so quick to try and shut down the conversation and start saying "there isn't enough evidence" as soon as their side is shown for what it is.
So the attacks on Zoë had nothing to do with how this started and was merely something to laugh at while, simultaneously, a spontaneous uprising against the sorry state of game journalism came to a boil? What a fucking coincidence! I never thought of it that way before...
 

Super Cyborg

New member
Jul 25, 2014
474
0
0
So did they get all the account information, or just some from some of the accounts? It wasn't entirely clear to me so I just need to check. I'm going to change my password for this site and my email it's connected to be on the safe side. Is there anything else that one should check when something like this happens? I'm sorry if the question seems stupid, and if it would be easier to just google it.

Hopefully overall it didn't do that much harm to the users and the site overall.
 

Erttheking

Member
Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
10,845
1
3
Country
United States
Witty Name Here said:
xaszatm said:
So...you have none? No proof it was an Anti-Gamergate person but are assuming stuff? Then try and justify it by making a false comparison to make your side seem like an Angel? Cute.

Oh, and "side is shown for what it is"? What in the everliving hell does that mean?
Considering I just pointed towards the fact that there's been an increase in hackings related to Gamergate supporters as well as evidence that 4chan seems to be relying on hacking to try and shut down the conversation (that's not even getting into the fact Anita got Thunderf00t's twitter account suspended) your "BUT THAT'S NOT EVIDENCE!" is all but meaningless.

And our side are hardly angels, but at the very least we aren't censoring free speech. We aren't kicking people off of twitter and we aren't making any concerted effort to fire people who are on the other side.

As for shown for what it is, it shows that for all their high horse patronizing and mocking of the other side, Social Justice Warriors are nothing more than desperate little parasites. They cling and cling to their ability to harass and bully others, to shame people into silence and create a toxic community. Whenever any group stands against them they'll use any method, regardless of legality, to silence them.
The anti-gamer gate side is filled with horrible people doing horrible things and I'm disgusted by them. This I will not deny. And the Pro-gamer gate side is filled with horrible people doing horrible things and I'm disgusted by them. This I will not deny.

*Goes back to not caring about Gamer Gate*
 

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
48,837
0
0
Super Cyborg said:
So did they get all the account information, or just some from some of the accounts? It wasn't entirely clear to me so I just need to check. I'm going to change my password for this site and my email it's connected to be on the safe side. Is there anything else that one should check when something like this happens? I'm sorry if the question seems stupid, and if it would be easier to just google it.

Hopefully overall it didn't do that much harm to the users and the site overall.
The last time there was a threat to the userbase in a data leak, Kross immediately [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tech-Team] warned us. I do not think that is the case here but you could ask in that group if you're still concerned. I don't think any data was taken from the Escapist, more of a spam attack on the servers than an attempt to get personal identities.

That said, I still changed my password to be on the safe side. Go with your gut.
 

Kingjackl

New member
Nov 18, 2009
1,041
0
0
It doesn't matter what 'side' they were on, whoever did this is a dickhead, plain and simple. It was probably some teenage boy desperate for attention.
 

Super Cyborg

New member
Jul 25, 2014
474
0
0
Redlin5 said:
The last time there was a threat to the userbase in a data leak, Kross immediately [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tech-Team] warned us. I do not think that is the case here but you could ask in that group if you're still concerned. I don't think any data was taken from the Escapist, more of a spam attack on the servers than an attempt to get personal identities.

That said, I still changed my password to be on the safe side. Go with your gut.
Thanks for the quick reply. I figured it probably wasn't a big deal since this was the only thread talking about it, and all the comments are about who's to blame, not mass panic about the situation. Had to ask though to be on the safe side and changed the password, cause it's always best to be on the safe side, especially with something as simple as changing the password.
 

Muspelheim

New member
Apr 7, 2011
2,023
0
0
erttheking said:
Witty Name Here said:
xaszatm said:
So...you have none? No proof it was an Anti-Gamergate person but are assuming stuff? Then try and justify it by making a false comparison to make your side seem like an Angel? Cute.

Oh, and "side is shown for what it is"? What in the everliving hell does that mean?
Considering I just pointed towards the fact that there's been an increase in hackings related to Gamergate supporters as well as evidence that 4chan seems to be relying on hacking to try and shut down the conversation (that's not even getting into the fact Anita got Thunderf00t's twitter account suspended) your "BUT THAT'S NOT EVIDENCE!" is all but meaningless.

And our side are hardly angels, but at the very least we aren't censoring free speech. We aren't kicking people off of twitter and we aren't making any concerted effort to fire people who are on the other side.

As for shown for what it is, it shows that for all their high horse patronizing and mocking of the other side, Social Justice Warriors are nothing more than desperate little parasites. They cling and cling to their ability to harass and bully others, to shame people into silence and create a toxic community. Whenever any group stands against them they'll use any method, regardless of legality, to silence them.
The anti-gamer gate side is filled with horrible people doing horrible things and I'm disgusted by them. This I will not deny. And the Pro-gamer gate side is filled with horrible people doing horrible things and I'm disgusted by them. This I will not deny.

*Goes back to not caring about Gamer Gate*
Mostly my own sentiment, as well. Or rather, I'm in support of the stated, overarching goal that both sides (Inclusiveness and acknowledgement that there are gender luggage to sort out and transparent games journalism, an end to the business nepotism and preserved integrity for developers) are after.

Unfortunately, it's quite difficult to not care. This will have an effect for a long time. Both sides has begun to show signs of "With us or against us" philosophy, and I've got a terrible feeling that being neither will just get you spanned equally by both.

And the worst of it, well... I just know someone is going to get stabbed or worse before we see an end to this.
 

mega lenin

New member
Jul 2, 2014
29
0
0
Angry mobs aren't known for building edifices, they're known for rioting and tearing them down.
Nor are they known for having much in the vein of consistent ethics either.

Kids, this has been a pie fight of epic proportions, a fucking troll's wet dream. Angry hysterical people waiting to aim their pitchforks at the next great outrage. The whole thing was finally starting to die down, and this happens. And now your all got the pitchforks out again demanding a witch hanging. Meanwhile, I bet some script kiddy is laughing his head off in some basement over how easy it is to get your goats.
 

NuclearKangaroo

New member
Feb 7, 2014
1,919
0
0
xaszatm said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Barbas said:
erttheking said:
Witty Name Here said:
BobDobolina said:
Witty Name Here said:
To anyone curious.
It goes even deeper. The "hardware failure" explanation was planted on the Escapist's twitter by the Illuminati. They've been behind the SJW agenda all along. The Shriners and the Reptoids from Zeta Reticuli are in on it too. No one is safe.
Archon confirmed that it's a DDoS attack. It's specifically going after the Gamergate thread.

You have no leg to stand on.

The simple fact of the matter is the world sees the Anti-GG types for what they are now. This hacking is because they disrespect the basic tenants of free speech. They hate, loathe, the loss of their control. They're desperate to silence the opposition and will use any means necessary to do so.

This is what the SJW side is truly like. This is what those who look at all the evidence and are still Anti-GG support.

Doxxing, Hacking, DDoS, these are the tools those who are against Gamergate. They can't win with logic. They can't win with the press. They're now trying (and failing) to win with borderline illegal methods and threatening those who support Gamergate into silence.
Yes, what happened here was pretty damn despicable. I'm still staying neutral in this whole mess though. Still way too much garbage going on on both sides. (Also, I have to say, are we certain that this was an anti-GG move? We sure it wasn't just someone trying to piss people off?)
I side with Jim, who sides with Ganondorf (Peace be upon Him) - The person who hacked represents only the person who hacked. We cannot currently say more.
when its one guy in the gamergate crowd, its the gamergate crowd's fault

when its one guy in the anti-gamer gate crowd, its the fault of that guy in the anti-gamer gate crowd

i wonder if jim will address this... no im sure he wont
Maybe because how insane the pro-gamer side reacted to the news. Immediately denying it (fine) then saying the other person did it to themselves (not fine) and that during that point in time, the pro-gamergate "side" still had loads of real misogynist baggage to deal with. So far, people are saying it most definitely could be some idiot on the anti-gamergate "side". The fan reaction really is telling.
what are you talking about?