well, the the escapist was just attacked.

Dante dynamite

Mar 19, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
Dante dynamite said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Doclector said:
Wonder who did it. The escapist as a whole seems neither a bastion of gamergate nor fully against it. Unless there's some appearance we put across from the outside, that is. Seems like it'd be hard to believe that it'd be completely unrelated, but what side did it? Unless, of course, it's someone just doing it for fun, getting a kick out of the fallout.
All we know is that Ben Kuchera was yelling at Greg Tito yesterday to censor his forums about that very thread.

Today this happens and the thread is attacked.

Take that as you will.

People on Forbes are sharpening their pitchforks against Ben Kuchera. Oh and Randy Pitchford too.

He went after Forbes for covering the DDOS.
whoa where is this about Randy Pitchford and Ben Kuchera going against this source please?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/09/20/the-escapist-forums-brought-down-in-ddos-attack/

Forbes points out the strange timing.

https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/513418825966968834

this almost got lost in the DDOS. lucky twitter remembers all. We got more context now.

There was an argument on twitter with Randy Pitchford denying any corruption after a developer that works at the company bragged on twitter about using friendships to get better scores for Borderlands.

And the best part: He was bragging to "disprove" gamergate by exposing corruption people didn't know about because he wasn't tied in the current web of friendships.

This is fucking hilarious. Its like a stoner smoking in front of a cop to "prove" cops are ineffective.

Then Randy Pitchford went off on forbes. Just because. He got schooled by a Forbes writer.

So Gearbox now has a PR disaster on its hands because a developer on twitter posting incriminating tweets.

This is the best thing to happen ever. All off the internet drama from all of my threads don't even scratch this. If I was the one to cover this, this would have been the crown jewel in my internet drama series.

EDIT: Now Randy is talking about some of his customers being worthless. Quality advertising there! Twitter screen capped it and its making the rounds.

"Buy our game, because you are worthless and we hate you." - gearbox.
damn link is down, anyone got a screen cap, the only thing I've heard is that Internet aristocrat called randy out for a comment about something around the lines of I don't care if my customer are duped by fake reviews and keeps talking about how he's on a plane and can't check the vocaroo IA made http://vocaroo.com/i/s0orzYZ9cQGa
and hasn't replied back

Ilovechocolatemilk

Mar 26, 2009
Revnak said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Revnak said:
Ultratwinkie said:
First gamergate started for integrity after journalists destroyed a charity for women
wat

I mean, I was here, on this site, when the first thread about the issue was really put up, and half of the complaints were about how Zoe was a slut. Not saying that that is all anybody cared about, but to say that people weren't saying shit like that is blatantly false.
Gamergate came way after that. People think of it was the zoe quinn thing but it didn't start until TFYC and Adam Baldwin showed up.

Gamergate came out of the revelation that TFYC was silenced by corrupt journalists. Who then posted racist shit like wanting to start violence against blacks for oogling white women.
No. It started when people started going after quinn. Sure, it got a name much later, but it started with going after quinn. That's when people started making threads, that's wen people started getting kicked out of /v/ and reddit, that's when this started. And people knew about TFYC from the first thread. I remember reading about that right off the bat.

I'm not even of the opinion that all the people gamergate is going after are completely blameless (though going after the Gearbox guy is ridiculous because he never claimed to actually have used his connections to get better reviews, he was saying that there was more evidence that he did than that many of the developers gamergate was going after did, but hey, I bet you have a perfect explanation for why we ought to assume the absolute worst about his statements), but it started with the misogynistic nonsense.
Do you even know what the word misogynist means? The dictionary says it means "hatred of all women".

How does hating one, or a handful of awful people, equate to hatred of all women?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sutter Cane said:
So when the pro gamergate side accuses of one of their opponents of doxing or hacking themselves you (rightly) criticize them for it, but when someone attacks the pro gamergate side it's perfectly reasonable to assume they did it to their own side. That's not hypocritical at all
The irony there is that the people who were accusing everyone under the sun of faking their own Doxxxx are now onboard whole-heartedly, and that seems to not be at all problematic for most people.

Before anyone sets in on me:
1. I know Fappy was being sarcastic, but this is a salient point anyway.

2. I've already sounded off on the radical concept of waiting until real information is in. Something I was in favour of with the Quinnspiracy theories, too. Honestly, I would like evidence for any affirmative claim on the matter. That it was Anti-Gamegate people, that it was Gamergate people trying to stir shit, that Skynet was born on this day and was testing its power, or that Al Gore is just sick of the argument and hit the "off" button. Because that's what this sort of thing needs. Evidence.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ilovechocolatemilk said:
Do you even know what the word misogynist means? The dictionary says it means "hatred of all women".
Well, there's more than one dictionary, and dictionaries aren't the end all of word usage. Typing "misogyny" into Google gets you several variant definitions within the first few hits. Same for misogynist, though misogynist returns misogyny hits anyway.

For example:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/misogynist

a person who hates, dislikes, mistrusts, or mistreats women.
I guess the question is: do you know what the word misogynist means? Because it doesn't look like you do, or you're quote mining a very specific definition in an attempt to knock down another, viable meaning.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Who would gain from attacking the forums?
Either the "anti-gameragate" side trying to censor discussion or the "pro-gamergate" side trying to make the "anti-gamergate" side look like they're trying to stop discussion.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Albetta said:
So, the anti-GGers did attack the site right?
Honestly, I don't think we know. It is the general assumption, since it was that thread that was being targeted specifically, and it correlates to various other hacks and personal threatening calls of people involved in gamergate itself, but nothing proving it that I am aware of and no one taking credit that I know, unless I missed something.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Weaver said:
Either the "anti-gameragate" side trying to censor discussion or the "pro-gamergate" side trying to make the "anti-gamergate" side look like they're trying to stop discussion.
Or someone bored looking to kick a hornet's nest.

Ilovechocolatemilk

Mar 26, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Ilovechocolatemilk said:
Well, there's more than one dictionary, and dictionaries aren't the end all of word usage. Typing "misogyny" into Google gets you several variant definitions within the first few hits. Same for misogynist, though misogynist returns misogyny hits anyway.

For example:

I guess the question is: do you know what the word misogynist means? Because it doesn't look like you do, or you're quote mining a very specific definition in an attempt to knock down another, viable meaning.
I gave you a viable meaning. By the latin root, miso- is a prefix meaning hate. -gyny is a suffix meaning female. Put together, it means hatred of females, and by the dictionary definition, it means "a hatred of women".

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misogyny

Again, how does hating one or several women equate to hatred of all women?

To wit, this is like saying, "You hate Michael Vick, therefore you're a racist." The logic doesn't follow. Hating one individual who happens to be black does not make the person automatically a racist. Similarly, hating one reprehensible woman does not mean you hate all women.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Weaver said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Who would gain from attacking the forums?
Or a twat being a twat and trying to get people riled up. If that hypothetical situation turned out to be true, he/she is getting their wish.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Ilovechocolatemilk said:

For example:

By that loose definition, can you tell me the difference, objectively, to use of "misogynist" between insulting a woman, sending a threat to a woman, criticizing a woman and hating a woman. And do it in such a way that those differences are both noted and that the counterpart to the word, misandry, applies the same to such actions towards men?

The problem I have with such a loose definition of the words is that it is essentially bastardizing the English language and castrating the word itself to spread it thinner. "mistrust" or "mistreats" specifically are so worthlessly vague that any sort of negative interaction with a woman becomes misogyny and any sort of negative interaction with a man becomes misandry. And to borrow the spirit of a quote "when everything is sexist, nothing is."

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Grayjack said:
Why the hell is this GamerGate thing even a big deal?
The quickest answer there? Because journalists refused to let it be talked about fairly, people got determined to talk about it, and then started to see the ones trying to shut them up as unfit the positions they had and not up to snuff professionally or ethically.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ilovechocolatemilk said:
I gave you a viable meaning
The key word there being "a," which was my point. It's a definition, not the definition. You're trying to hold someone to a specific meaning they almost certainly do not mean. It's a strawman argument wrapped in word games.

By the latin root, miso- is a prefix meaning hate. -gyny is a suffix meaning female. Put together, it means hatred of females, and by the dictionary definition, it means "a hatred of women".
You do understand how language works, right? A word's roots are a useful hint as to the meaning but are not a legally binding contract.

Malformed question, which I've already explained. Are you doing this intentionally?

To wit, this is like saying, "You hate Michael Vick, therefore you're a racist."
Point to me a definition of racist or racism that has a different meaning to the selective way you've framed it and you might have an analogue. But as it stands, that's not how it works.

runic knight said:
By that loose definition, can you tell me the difference, objectively, to use of "misogynist" between insulting a woman, sending a threat to a woman, criticizing a woman and hating a woman. And do it in such a way that those differences are both noted and that the counterpart to the word, misandry, applies the same to such actions towards men?
You realise we have multiple degrees of assault, murder, and other things, right? You may not like the nature of language, but that doesn't make it incorrect. Whether I can "objectively" point out the difference is irrelevant to the term and whether it encompasses the lot of those acts. But then, asking someone to objectively argue language is a farce in the first place.

Can you objectively tell which version of "literally" someone is using in the phrase "he just literally had a heart attack?"

Kungfusam

Jun 26, 2013
shrekfan246 said:
Kungfusam said:
Leigh Alexander is a bully who makes jokes about destroying peoples dreams, I'm not sure why you'd defend her
Funny how nobody on the pro-GamerGate side says the same things about that Milo guy from Breitbart, or InternetAristocrat, or Davis Aurini... apparently, being a "bully" is okay when you're supporting the "right" agenda.

Most annoying thing is people desperate to claim its misogyny, shows they haven't actually paid attention to whats going on, but they have to say something or else face retribution from the church of social justice
Actually, the most annoying thing is all of the people claiming GamerGate is just about journalistic integrity right before going on to take snipes at social justice advocates. And since literally no journalist who isn't widely known as a social justice advocate has been
It is about integrity, or the total lack thereof

Milo pointing out their corrupt behavior isn't quite in the same league as Leigh "microphone" Alexander bragging about crushing a young woman's dreams

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
runic knight said:
The quickest answer there? Because journalists refused to let it be talked about fairly, people got determined to talk about it, and then started to see the ones trying to shut them up as unfit the positions they had and not up to snuff professionally or ethically.
Except even the Escapist hasn't been immune to the #hashtagactivismoutrage, despite being the place that's kept the discussion open without banning or deleting everything under the sun, so that's not it.

Ilovechocolatemilk

Mar 26, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Ilovechocolatemilk said:
I gave you a viable meaning
The key word there being "a," which was my point. It's a definition, not the definition. You're trying to hold someone to a specific meaning they almost certainly do not mean. It's a strawman argument wrapped in word games.

By the latin root, miso- is a prefix meaning hate. -gyny is a suffix meaning female. Put together, it means hatred of females, and by the dictionary definition, it means "a hatred of women".
You do understand how language works, right? A word's roots are a useful hint as to the meaning but are not a legally binding contract.

Malformed question, which I've already explained. Are you doing this intentionally?

To wit, this is like saying, "You hate Michael Vick, therefore you're a racist."
Point to me a definition of racist or racism that has a different meaning to the selective way you've framed it and you might have an analogue. But as it stands, that's not how it works.

runic knight said:
You realise we have multiple degrees of assault, murder, and other things, right? You may not like the nature of language, but that doesn't make it incorrect. Whether I can "objectively" point out the difference is irrelevant to the term and whether it encompasses the lot of those acts. But then, asking someone to objectively argue language is a farce in the first place.

Can you objectively tell which version of "literally" someone is using in the phrase "he just literally had a heart attack?"
You keep saying my definition is inadequate, even though it's the definition by the latin root and by multiple dictionaries.

What is your definition of misogyny then? And how is hatred of one person who happens to be a woman equivalent to a pathological hatred of all women?

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Albetta said:
So, the anti-GGers did attack the site right?
We still don't know. It most certainly is not helped by the fact that every pro-GG is proudly screaming it like it is true (it's not, because WE DON'T KNOW AND REPORTING RUMORS WITHOUT FACT IS THE VERY DEFINITION OF BAD JOURNALISM). My best advice is to ignore every source for the next two days (especially if it doesn't come from the Escapist Staff itself) until heads calm down.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ilovechocolatemilk said:
You keep saying my definition is inadequate
Please stop making things up. I did not say inadequate or indicate that it was. I did, however, indicate that it was unlikely this was the definition being used. While I'm acknowledging multiple meanings of the word, you're insisting that they be held accountable to this specific definition, and now you're twisting my words. That's dishonest, and I've just explained why.

Ilovechocolatemilk

Mar 26, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Ilovechocolatemilk said:
You keep saying my definition is inadequate
Please stop making things up. I did not say inadequate or indicate that it was. I did, however, indicate that it was unlikely this was the definition being used. While I'm acknowledging multiple meanings of the word, you're insisting that they be held accountable to this specific definition, and now you're twisting my words. That's dishonest, and I've just explained why.
I was summarizing your point, you said explicitly, " It's a definition, not the definition."

So, in your own words, what is the definition of misogyny?