Were you ever hit/spanked as a child?

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Spanking, the occasional wooden spoon. But that was it. And anyone who says hitting your child to correct them is wrong, they are idiots. There is a line so friggin' huge between discipline and abuse, it makes the grand canyon look like a crack in the footpath.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Proudly. Because I know I deserved it, and quite frankly I am a better person today for it. I am damn glad I was beaten cause I can look around and see the alternatives and to end up as something so sad and bassackwards is one of those fate worse than death things.

PimpHandofGod

Mar 21, 2010
Belts and switches for me. My mom had this big pot with a shit ton of these long, thin wooden sticks. Close to a hundred probably, maybe more. Stung like a mother when I was little.

ThyReaper

Feb 14, 2010
I only got hit once, smacked across the face, was being a little shit at the time, still don't think it was right, but hey, I'd like to generally believe I turned out to be a stand out son haha. And my mum felt really guilty for doing it and never did it again and rather yell if I fucked up which is more effective in my opinion, so it worked out both ways.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
hitting someone is assault hitting someone in your family is domestic violence,
those two things are illeagle so yea, its illeagle to hit kids

Jun 23, 2008
Wow. It appears a lot of people here don't understand behaviorism very well.

Negative reinforcement works to diminish behaviors if it is applied a) consistently (for a single specific behavior), b) immediately following the behavior, and c) assuredly (there is no means by which to escape the punishment).

In the meantime, there's a strong correlation between spousal abuse and instigation of domestic violence, and personal history of being abused as a child (of which getting hit or spanked qualifies). While I wouldn't say the causation is absolute[footnote]I was hit, spanked and even had a wooden spoon broken on me, and am particularly anti-violent. I'm also batshit insane.[/footnote], but the statistics are conspicuous, as is the frequency in which hit children grow up and attack their parents, or wind up in prison.

As one comedian points out when is a child too old to hit? When one adult hits another adult, it's considered assault and battery. Why would it be any less a crime when the victim is a child?

Teaching with violence is teaching violence. I'm pretty sure there are better ways to train a child, say by showing them the consequences of their actions. But then again, I tend to assume that children are intrinsically intersocial, cooperative, industrious creatures, and have, so far, had good results treating them as such, so my perspective may be skewed.

238U

SorrySight

Oct 3, 2011
I had an aversion to physical contact -understatement; I would go completely berserk if someone just brushed against me- when I was small enough to punish, so my parents only threatened to hit me when I misbehaved. I'm pretty sure they never actually hit me.

Hoki

Jun 15, 2009
Was I ever spanked/swatted for disciplinary measures? No. The idea of disappointing my elders was usually enough to stop me from doing something stupid (I may have been a bit of that bookish nerd/teacher's pet sort as a kid).

Was I hit for other reasons? Yes. Once. I didn't make my bed properly.
(EDIT: Your call as to whether or not that was discipline.)

Now, I'm not saying it's what kicked off my unease around the opposite sex, but it didn't help matters much. I gained a pretty healthy fear of my father that day. >_>

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
it's 'spanked' and eeyup, the greatest irony is

the belt i was spanked with, i now use to hold up my pants

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Got spanked, I learned not to act up. Would probably be one of these shits wondering about feeling entitled to everything if I hadn't been.

ScroogeMcDuck

Mar 22, 2010
Hit, burned with cigars,cut, punched, my dad broke my leg twice, my food was withheld for days, locked in the basement, my mom threw glasses at my head, so yeah. My excuse was always "I fell down the stairs." no one questioned it till my senior year in high school.

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
I think there is a big difference between being spanked and being hit. I was hit, and it wasn't a slap on the hand or a little tap on the bottom, or a spanking with a belt. It was a closed fist punch to the face, security guard flashlight to the ribcage, kick to the face, backhanded across the eye, pulled around by the hair, burning all your stolen toys in the front yard kind of abuse.

But fuck it, I survived! and I never let myself become a victim. Once I got big enough to defend myself people stopped hitting me, and now my life really isn't that bad.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Only by my father and only when he was drunk, (but I knew he deserved to have a few beers after a long day at work and the bruises made me look bad ass)

Unless we're talking about spanking. Then yeah, my parents hit me up until I was 8 or so, after that I never really did all that much to warrant a spanking.