Westboro Baptist Church, Wikileaks Troll Steve Jobs' Death

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I gotta wonder if these guys are for real and not some long-running prank.

TheEldestScroll

Feb 20, 2011
picketing is when you block the path or road to something in order to protest isn't it?

if they do this regularly, i'm surprised that someone hasn't already been like "i'm just gonna run these fuckers over and do the world a favor."

i would.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
I wish they would start attacking other religions more, then find out they have been taking out by a violent radical.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
Any rational argument against these loons is a step towards redundancy, but I'm in the mood to amuse myself so let's analyze this.

Let's say that their god does exist and let's say it did create the iPhone as a message delivery service.

God has done this before, with the Ten Commandments and, more notably, the Bible. Except God didn't just hand the Bible out on the streets; he supposedly spoke to the writers who were given divine insight and they spread the work.

So, the iPhone couldn't of been made by God; it would have had to been made by a human with divine insight... Steve JobsAnd as the Bible had many authors, so did the iPhone have many intelligent people working on it..

So, by their logic:

Steve Jobs = Devine insight from God (Moses basically)
iPhone = Bible

So then why would someone with divine insight promote sin? Maybe he wasn't, maybe what he spread was truth. So that'd mean if they're protesting it their promoting against the word of their God.

Making them the hell bound sinners.

Anyway, the Wikileaks? Kind of a dick move.

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
thats so weird... i was just thinking about trolling the death of steve jobs before i came onto the escapist... freaky o_O

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
tj236 said:
Dreiko said:
Greg Tito said:
linking fake medical records stating Steve Jobs had HIV just after he passed away from a real illness like cancer just shows a complete lack of respect.
Watch the wording on that, it's like you're saying HIV is not a real illness and people have gotten sued for less XD.
+1 I agree with this. Great article, and I can see where the author was trying to go, but this REALLY needs to be reworded.

Yeah, I was reading along, mildly amused at the stupidity and then I reached it and I was like "whouh".

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Zach of Fables said:
The Wikileaks thing bothers me more than the WBC. We expect the WBC to act like douches, that's how they operate. But Assange should have fact checked before he spat on Steve's grave like that.
He didn't need to fact check shit to know that steve didn't have HIV.

Critterbot

Nov 19, 2010
These are the same guys who said Anders Behring Breivik was Gods punishment to Norway for allowing homosexuals to marry. Yeah...insensitive bastards aren't they?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I expect this from the WBC, it is neither shocking nor interesting. However, that this wikileaks douche were to do this obliterates the tenuous remains of his credibility.

Dreiko said:
Greg Tito said:
linking fake medical records stating Steve Jobs had HIV just after he passed away from a real illness like cancer just shows a complete lack of respect.
Watch the wording on that, it's like you're saying HIV is not a real illness and people have gotten sued for less XD.
I dont know if others pointed it out, but what greg's language is referring to here is that people were attributing a fake illness to him, when he in fact died of a real illness, which is shameful and insensitive. Not that HIV is fake, but the attribution of HIV to jobs is.

Also, source on people getting sued for simply saying HIV is not a real illness? I'd love to laugh at that story.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
Right enough of this shit.

Forced euthenasia anyone?
I once planned to make a statue out of clay that resembles Jesus on cross and then get some depleted Uranium^223 or Plutonium, or the any of the radioactive gold isotopes. Hide them inside the statue then ship it to them as a "gift from a believer - you are doing the right thing, may God's light radiate upon you"...

But then my dreams were shattered because according to UN, that is considered to be international terrorism... :(

Oh well I can always dream of destroying those who do not respect humanity and what it has achieved.

On topic... When their member dies next time, I think I will travel to US just to picket hes funeral. But whoever did the Wikileaks shit clearly didn't know that Steve had announce hes cancer... LONG AGO!!!

Sigh. I hate humans...

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
Khada said:
imnotparanoid said:
Khada said:
I don't understand why people love Steve Jobs so much. I could be mistaken, but as far as I know he hasn't done anything commemorable. Building a successful business can be just as evil as it can be good. What matters is what you do with the power/money. I know of nothing I would class as good that Steve Jobs did during his life. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm not a big fan but most people think he's a 'visionary' and rightly so, think how much apple has effected the world.
Sure, but affecting the world isn't an inherently good act. What directly good effect has the man had on the world?
Hey don't shoot the messanger!
I'm just saying what people are saying.
I didn't mean to be aggressive towards you at all. Just asking :)
I did some research after my post and found out that Mr Jobs was pretty much against acts of philanthropy and never bothered to do anything with his money/power. I don't mean to disrespect the dead, but I do not morn his passing. I simply can't bring myself to think much of someone who finds him/her-self in such an awesome position to do good in a world that desperately needs it and yet does nothing, even with their impeding demise known to be on the near horizon.

darkbshadow

Nov 9, 2006
What the WBC did something hypocritical again? paint me not surprised. They are attention whores plain and simple. Someone big, famous, and well liked dies they have to bash him saying he is going to hell or they loss out on the crazy christian fundamentalist license.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Khada said:
I did some research after my post and found out that Mr Jobs was pretty much against acts of philanthropy and never bothered to do anything with his money/power. I don't mean to disrespect the dead, but I do not morn his passing. I simply can't bring myself to think much of someone who finds him/her-self in such an awesome position to do good in a world that desperately needs it and yet does nothing, even with their impeding demise known to be on the near horizon.
Why should he have done that? so the masses can go "oh it's just a PR stunt that doesn't count" and then go right back to bashing him?

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
Aeshi said:
Khada said:
Why should he have done that? so the masses can go "oh it's just a PR stunt that doesn't count" and then go right back to bashing him?
Perhaps the question is should he care what some select people say if he knows he is doing a good thing? It would be a far cry better than doing nothing with a greater spendable wealth than the county he lived in.

Bento Box

Mar 3, 2011
cookyy2k said:
Bento Box said:
arc1991 said:
Bento Box said:
Pyrian said:
Delicious Soy said:
I like how the condemnation of westboro is universal but still plenty of out being given to Assange. Casual biases much?
There's a significant difference between someone with very powerful enemies acting notably out of character on a quite possibly hacked service, versus someone whom nobody really cares about acting perfectly in character on the same service. If Assange were to disown that act, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. I do not think Phelps will disown hers.

Bento Box said:
The Westboro church knows its Bible.
Where's the picketing funerals part?
That's easy.

Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

When the Phelps' cult pickets, they are spreading the gospel. It's proselytizing, just like they're supposed to do.

People think that they're trolling, and in a sense, I suppose that's right. They are certainly looking for attention. Ultimately, though, trolls give out just fuck with people to get a rise out of them. WBC isn't doing that. They think they're telling you the truth.

As an aside, they aren't trying to save anyone's soul necessarily, either. They're just letting everyone know that they're all going to hell. Calvinism, man.
1:37

I have to agree with the BBC guy...being gay is not one of the ten commandments and being gay is not adultery.

She also says she is an evil angel...explain please!

I ain't big on the religion thing but i do know what adultery means!
Evil angel probably refers to the kind of thing that Lucifer was before he got retconned into Satan. He was originally god's accuser.

As for the ten commandments thing, fine. Slavery, child abuse and rape aren't mentioned in the big ten, either (and before you object, rape is not adultery unless the rapist is married). These things might come up later in the discussion. I'm ready for them.

Finally, on the gay part - you must be joking. [http://bible.cc/leviticus/20-13.htm]
Wow those translations are truly... bias. That book was written by people to enforce whatever law they wanted to without question, the book has since been translated by everyone and their dog to say exactly what they want. My personal favourite is the New Living Translation version, must be written by zealots and bigots.
I absolutely agree. Those translations were all, almost certainly written by zealots and bigots, and even superstitious savages.

So was the source material.

Nov 12, 2010
"Steve Jobs' funeral will be held next week, after which he will be reburied every six months in a slightly better coffin"... What? Too soon?

Bento Box

Mar 3, 2011
arc1991 said:
Bento Box said:
arc1991 said:
Bento Box said:
Pyrian said:
Delicious Soy said:
I like how the condemnation of westboro is universal but still plenty of out being given to Assange. Casual biases much?
There's a significant difference between someone with very powerful enemies acting notably out of character on a quite possibly hacked service, versus someone whom nobody really cares about acting perfectly in character on the same service. If Assange were to disown that act, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. I do not think Phelps will disown hers.

Bento Box said:
The Westboro church knows its Bible.
Where's the picketing funerals part?
That's easy.

Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

When the Phelps' cult pickets, they are spreading the gospel. It's proselytizing, just like they're supposed to do.

People think that they're trolling, and in a sense, I suppose that's right. They are certainly looking for attention. Ultimately, though, trolls give out just fuck with people to get a rise out of them. WBC isn't doing that. They think they're telling you the truth.

As an aside, they aren't trying to save anyone's soul necessarily, either. They're just letting everyone know that they're all going to hell. Calvinism, man.

1:37

I have to agree with the BBC guy...being gay is not one of the ten commandments and being gay is not adultery.

She also says she is an evil angel...explain please!

I ain't big on the religion thing but i do know what adultery means!
Evil angel probably refers to the kind of thing that Lucifer was before he got retconned into Satan. He was originally god's accuser.

As for the ten commandments thing, fine. Slavery, child abuse and rape aren't mentioned in the big ten, either (and before you object, rape is not adultery unless the rapist is married). These things might come up later in the discussion. I'm ready for them.

Finally, on the gay part - you must be joking. [http://bible.cc/leviticus/20-13.htm]
Doesn't god forgive all? Making that kinda silly to say "they must be put to death" as yanoo...he will forgive them? :S

And i knew that being gay was mentioned in the bible, i never said it wasn't, i was saying being gay is not adultery and isn't one of the ten commandments. :p

And also how is one man one women, both married...Fag sex?...As i say i aint big on religion...but, well...yeh.

in my opinion they are the biggest trolls ever, half the stuff they say is complete nonsense.
1) No, god doesn't forgive all. The Phelps' are Calvinists, which means that they believe that God has decided, long before any of us were born, which of us are destined for heaven, and which for hell. Also, apostasy is considered an unforgivable sin in any bible you read. Un. For. Givable.

2) I don't see where it not being one of the ten commandments has anything to do with anything; you realize there are hundreds and hundreds of other ridiculous commandments, right? 637 of them if I remember right... Definitely something in the low-mid 600's.

3) Their problem with jobs was that he, like most public figures with an actual meaningful reputation for good, was publicly secular. He didn't go on stage and praise God like they think he was supposed to.

4) They're not trolling. They believe everything they say. They are told in their bibles to praise God in all things, because everything is an act of God, and Steve Jobs' death is a thing.

4a) Of course it's all nonsense.