WGDF

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
tangoprime said:
...you've made my point for me, *I* don't believe that, I was making reference to the quote from the President of the United States where he was implying it, in reference to the Treyvon Martin Shooting, this whole thing in reference to the Zimmerman joke in the original comic that this one referenced. But don't let me stop you from believing people to be racist if that's your thing.

The President made an association with Martin because he was a victim, not a perpetrator (Zimmerman literally chased him down before he turned around and attacked him). I doubt Obama would associate himself with people who are clearly criminals, as you are, just because they are black.

Bonus points scored here for you, since I'm engaged to someone of a different ethnicity.
Some of my best friends are black too.

(I' actually half joking. I don't think you're racist; just poking at your arguments, and occasionally you. :p

Good luck on your engagement!)

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Therumancer said:
This is just for the record: I'm done with this topic.

I don't control how people respond to my work. If people can't read a joke without descending into idiocy, that's their problem (and the problem of the forum mods, who perform their rather thankless duties admirably). I'm in no way obligated to censor my work because some people can't control themselves. The forums are provided as a courtesy, they are not an implicit part of CM and I have no control over them or any moderating privileges. I wouldn't want them if offered.

As for WGDF being an "attack piece," it is no more so than any other CM strip. If you perceive a parody of fringe culture racists as an attack on all white people, that says a lot more about your opinion of white people than it does mine.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
RA92 said:
(Zimmerman literally chased him down before he turned around and attacked him).
Out of curiosity... Do you have any proof that is "literally" what happened? Or, is this mere speculation one pulls out of their hindquarters?
The Wooster said:
I don't control how people respond to my work. If people can't read a joke without descending into idiocy, that's their problem (and the problem of the forum mods, who perform their rather thankless duties admirably). I'm in no way obligated to censor my work because some people can't control themselves. The forums are provided as a courtesy, they are not an implicit part of CM and I have no control over them or any moderating privileges. I wouldn't want them if offered.
And, the person who yells "fire" in a crowded theater doesn't control how the people react. If they happen to trample one and another to death in their "idiocy", that's their problem... Right?

Yes, this is your soapbox. And, you're free to say whatever you wish. But, to create content that's so obviously flame-bait, then throw your hands up and disown any responsibility of the aftermath is a bit of cowardice. Also, I would remind you that if you had tried to pull what you did in the forums, rather than the comic, you'd have been held accountable as any of the rest of us.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct

Have Respect for the Site and its Content
We put a lot of work into the content on the site, and if you've just shown up to trample on that hard work, we will remove your comments and ask you to leave. Constructive criticism is welcomed; negativity for its own sake is not. Further, discussions instructing or otherwise advocating the circumvention of The Escapist's advertisements, site sponsors, security mechanisms, media protections or similar facilities will not be tolerated. If we find you being slanderous with regard to any part of The Escapist, you will be penalized. This includes, but is not limited to communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give The Escapist, an individual creator, advertiser, site sponsor, product, group, government or nation a negative image. In short, if you say something you better be able to back it up with fact. Regardless of what some of our content creators may say, do or provoke within their videos or articles, this does not give members the ability to act in the same way. They are entertainers and if they brought their language or flaming into the forums, they would be held accountable, just as any other forum member of The Escapist would be.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
madwarper said:
RA92 said:
(Zimmerman literally chased him down before he turned around and attacked him).
Out of curiosity... Do you have any proof that is "literally" what happened? Or, is this mere speculation one pulls out of their hindquarters?
No, it's some thing one pulls out of the full transcript of Zimmerman's call to SPD.

Dispatcher: Sanford Police Department. ...
Zimmerman: Hey, we've had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there's a real suspicious guy, uh, [near] Retreat View Circle. Um, the best address I can give you is 111 Retreat View Circle. This guy looks like he's up to no good, or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about.
Dispatcher: Okay, and this guy is he white, black, or Hispanic?
Zimmerman: He looks black.
Dispatcher: Did you see what he was wearing?
Zimmerman: Yeah. A dark hoodie, like a grey hoodie, and either jeans or sweatpants and white tennis shoes. He's [unintelligible], he was just staring...
Dispatcher: Okay, he's just walking around the area...
Zimmerman: ...looking at all the houses.
Dispatcher: Okay...
Zimmerman: Now he's just staring at me.
Dispatcher: Okay. You said it's 1111 Retreat View? Or 111?
Zimmerman: That's the clubhouse... [Note 3, 3rd picture]
Dispatcher: That's the clubhouse. Do you know what the ? he's near the clubhouse right now?
Zimmerman: Yeah, now he's coming towards me.
Dispatcher: Okay.
Zimmerman: He's got his hand in his waistband. And he's a black male.
Dispatcher: How old would you say he looks?
Zimmerman: He's got a button on his shirt. Late teens.
Dispatcher: Late teens. Okay.
Zimmerman: Something's wrong with him. Yup, he's coming to check me out. He's got something in his hands. I don't know what his deal is.
Dispatcher: Just let me know if he does anything, okay?
Zimmerman: How long until you get an officer over here?
Dispatcher: Yeah, we've got someone on the way. Just let me know if this guy does anything else.
<color=blue>Zimmerman: Okay. These assholes, they always get away. When you come to the clubhouse, you come straight in and make a left. Actually, you would go past the clubhouse.[Note 3, 3rd picture]
Dispatcher: So it's on the lefthand side from the clubhouse?
Zimmerman: No, you go in straight through the entrance and then you make a left...uh, you go straight in, don't turn, and make a left. Shit, he's running [background noises, possibly car door open warning chimes, heard].
Dispatcher: He's running? Which way is he running?
Zimmerman: Down towards the other entrance to the neighborhood.
Dispatcher: Which entrance is that that he's heading towards?
Zimmerman: The back entrance...fucking [disputed/unintelligible]
Dispatcher: Are you following him?
Zimmerman: Yeah.
Dispatcher: Okay, we don't need you to do that.
Zimmerman: Okay.
Dispatcher: All right, sir, what is your name?
Zimmerman: George...He ran.

Dispatcher: All right, George, what's your last name?
Zimmerman: Zimmerman.
Dispatcher: And George, what's the phone number you're calling from?
Zimmerman: [redacted]
Dispatcher: All right, George, we do have them on the way. Do you want to meet with the officer when they get out there?
Dispatcher: Alright, where you going to meet with them at?
Zimmerman: If they come in through the gate, tell them to go straight past the club house, and uh, straight past the club house and make a left, and then they go past the mailboxes, [Note 3, 4th picture] that's my truck...[unintelligible]
Dispatcher: What address are you parked in front of?
Zimmerman: I don't know. It's a cut through so I don't know the address.[Note 3, 6th & 7th pictures]
Dispatcher: Okay. Do you live in the area?
Zimmerman: Yeah, I...[unintelligible]
Dispatcher: What's your apartment number?
Zimmerman: It's a home. It's 1950,[Note 3, 3rd picture] Oh, crap. I don't want to give it all out. I don't know where this kid is.
Dispatcher: Okay. Do you want to just meet with them right near the mailboxes then?
Zimmerman: Yeah, that's fine.
Dispatcher: All right, George. I'll let them know to meet you around there okay?
Zimmerman: Actually, could you have them call me and I'll tell them where I'm at?
Dispatcher: Okay, yeah. That's no problem.
Zimmerman: Should I give you my number or you got it?
Dispatcher: Yeah, I got it [redacted]
Zimmerman: Yeah, you got it.
Dispatcher: Okay. No problem. I'll let them know to call you when they're in the area.
Zimmerman: Thanks.
Dispatcher: You're welcome

source: http://www.motherjones.com/documents/326700-full-transcript-zimmerman

Martin ran, and Zimmerman ran to pursue him, against the suggestion of the cop.

SidheKnight

Nov 28, 2011
Using the Elliot Rodgers tragedy to further your own SJW agendas? Classy.

This video pretty much sums my response to you guys.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
nikago said:
The Wooster said:
Therumancer said:
This is just for the record: I'm done with this topic.

As for WGDF being an "attack piece," it is no more so than any other CM strip. If you perceive a parody of fringe culture racists as an attack on all white people, that says a lot more about your opinion of white people than it does mine.
Wow you are being rather insulting to people here.
It's Therumancer and Wooster, they're both very opinionated on a number of subjects.
I have a theory that if anyone ever actually bothered to read the entirety of one of Thery's posts then it would be just as insulting

On topic though, looking forward to this.
There's something sadly nice about trawling through a multi-page thread laughing at people.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
RA92 said:
Dispatcher: Sanford Police Department. ...
Zimmerman: Hey, we've had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there's a real suspicious guy, uh, [near] Retreat View Circle. Um, the best address I can give you is 111 Retreat View Circle. This guy looks like he's up to no good, or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about.
Dispatcher: Okay, and this guy is he white, black, or Hispanic?
Zimmerman: He looks black.
Dispatcher: Did you see what he was wearing?
Zimmerman: Yeah. A dark hoodie, like a grey hoodie, and either jeans or sweatpants and white tennis shoes. He's [unintelligible], he was just staring...
Dispatcher: Okay, he's just walking around the area...
Zimmerman: ...looking at all the houses.
Dispatcher: Okay...
Zimmerman: Now he's just staring at me.
Dispatcher: Okay. You said it's 1111 Retreat View? Or 111?
Zimmerman: That's the clubhouse... [Note 3, 3rd picture]
Dispatcher: That's the clubhouse. Do you know what the ? he's near the clubhouse right now?
Zimmerman: Yeah, now he's coming towards me.
Dispatcher: Okay.
Zimmerman: He's got his hand in his waistband. And he's a black male.
Dispatcher: How old would you say he looks?
Zimmerman: He's got a button on his shirt. Late teens.
Dispatcher: Late teens. Okay.
Zimmerman: Something's wrong with him. Yup, he's coming to check me out. He's got something in his hands. I don't know what his deal is.
Dispatcher: Just let me know if he does anything, okay?
Zimmerman: How long until you get an officer over here?
Dispatcher: Yeah, we've got someone on the way. Just let me know if this guy does anything else.
<color=blue>Zimmerman: Okay. These assholes, they always get away. When you come to the clubhouse, you come straight in and make a left. Actually, you would go past the clubhouse.[Note 3, 3rd picture]
Dispatcher: So it's on the lefthand side from the clubhouse?
Zimmerman: No, you go in straight through the entrance and then you make a left...uh, you go straight in, don't turn, and make a left. Shit, he's running [background noises, possibly car door open warning chimes, heard].
Dispatcher: He's running? Which way is he running?
Zimmerman: Down towards the other entrance to the neighborhood.
Dispatcher: Which entrance is that that he's heading towards?
Zimmerman: The back entrance...fucking [disputed/unintelligible]
Dispatcher: Are you following him?
Dispatcher: Okay, we don't need you to do that.
Zimmerman: Okay.

Dispatcher: All right, sir, what is your name?
Zimmerman: George...He ran.

Dispatcher: All right, George, what's your last name?
Zimmerman: Zimmerman.
Dispatcher: And George, what's the phone number you're calling from?
Zimmerman: [redacted]
Dispatcher: All right, George, we do have them on the way. Do you want to meet with the officer when they get out there?
Dispatcher: Alright, where you going to meet with them at?
Zimmerman: If they come in through the gate, tell them to go straight past the club house, and uh, straight past the club house and make a left, and then they go past the mailboxes, [Note 3, 4th picture] that's my truck...[unintelligible]
Dispatcher: What address are you parked in front of?
Zimmerman: I don't know. It's a cut through so I don't know the address.[Note 3, 6th & 7th pictures]
Dispatcher: Okay. Do you live in the area?
Zimmerman: Yeah, I...[unintelligible]
Dispatcher: What's your apartment number?
Zimmerman: It's a home. It's 1950,[Note 3, 3rd picture] Oh, crap. I don't want to give it all out. I don't know where this kid is.
Dispatcher: Okay. Do you want to just meet with them right near the mailboxes then?
Zimmerman: Yeah, that's fine.
Dispatcher: All right, George. I'll let them know to meet you around there okay?
Zimmerman: Actually, could you have them call me and I'll tell them where I'm at?
Dispatcher: Okay, yeah. That's no problem.
Zimmerman: Should I give you my number or you got it?
Dispatcher: Yeah, I got it [redacted]
Zimmerman: Yeah, you got it.
Dispatcher: Okay. No problem. I'll let them know to call you when they're in the area.
Zimmerman: Thanks.
Dispatcher: You're welcome

source: http://www.motherjones.com/documents/326700-full-transcript-zimmerman

Martin ran, and Zimmerman ran to pursue him, against the suggestion of the cop.
Your interpretation of the events is not supported by the evidence. Read the red portion, and then listen to the audio of the 911 tape.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Trayvon_Martin_Shooting_Call1.ogg

2:08 Zimmerman said he is running. The operator asked him which direction.
2:10 you can hear sounds of Zimmerman exiting his vehicle, then breath heavily.
2:24 The operator asks if he is following him, Zimmermane says he is.
2:27 The operator tells him "we don't need you to do that" and the heavy breathing stops.

So, to say there was pursuit against the suggestion of the cops is ill-informed at best, down right deceitful at worst.
The cops asked a question, he left his vehicle to ascertain the information, they told him "we don't need you to do that" and he stopped.

So, I'll ask again, do you have any proof that "Zimmerman literally chased him down"? Because, you've shown nothing thus far to support your claim.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
It?s probably going to be about the guy who killed people because he was a 22 year old virgin, or maybe not since people did actually die and making jokes about It could easily be considered very insensitive.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
BrotherRool said:
Think of this like a bug lamp. Every now and then you make a comic like this and all the worms come out of the woodwork (and mix my metaphors), the mods zap them and we're left with a chiller less-frothy community.
Also a less interesting community. Oh, don't give me that look, madness begets creativity; I would rather read and participate in a thread with a few trolls and angry people stirring shit up, than a boring everybody-plays-nice-the-end thread. TVTropes has that, and it's practically Soviet in it's surpression of anyone who's even slightly angry.

The WGDF "incident" made me ask one question; Why wasn't the damn thread locked already? It was suspicious how the thread kept going after the number of bans that were handed down. This looks like we're in for another bout of spring cleaning.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
themilo504 said:
It?s probably going to be about the guy who killed people because he was a 22 year old virgin, or maybe not since people did actually die and making jokes about It could easily be considered very insensitive.
It would fit the theme of a mixed race man being in the center of attention

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I dunno how I feel about this comic. Presumably, this comic and the one that will follow are clearly meant to get a point across as abrasively as possible. The Escapist is sponsoring this comic but, at the same time, requests its patrons to observe the sensibilities of other users. I do not think that I would get away with an incendiary post even if I wrap it under the veil of satire. I see this policy embodies a shameful disconnect on the part of the Escapist. The rules should be consistently applied to both the content creators and the content consumers.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
madwarper said:
Yes, this is your soapbox. And, you're free to say whatever you wish. But, to create content that's so obviously flame-bait, then throw your hands up and disown any responsibility of the aftermath is a bit of cowardice.
All satire is "flamebait" to people who disagree with it. To use an example as overblown as yours, the people beheading people in the street over newspaper cartoons make a very similar argument.

Also, I would remind you that if you had tried to pull what you did in the forums, rather than the comic, you'd have been held accountable as any of the rest of us.
Then it's a good job I don't post CM on the forums, isn't it?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
themilo504 said:
Yaknow, that indeed would be a case of too bloody soon?, I didn't even consider it an option. Well here's to hoping that doesn't happen (plus, in that case the only ones in a position to talk about whether or not it's offensive would likely be the friends and families of those who were killed).

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Machine Man 1992 said:
BrotherRool said:
Think of this like a bug lamp. Every now and then you make a comic like this and all the worms come out of the woodwork (and mix my metaphors), the mods zap them and we're left with a chiller less-frothy community.
Also a less interesting community. Oh, don't give me that look, madness begets creativity; I would rather read and participate in a thread with a few trolls and angry people stirring shit up, than a boring everybody-plays-nice-the-end thread. TVTropes has that, and it's practically Soviet in it's surpression of anyone who's even slightly angry.

The WGDF "incident" made me ask one question; Why wasn't the damn thread locked already? It was suspicious how the thread kept going after the number of bans that were handed down. This looks like we're in for another bout of spring cleaning.
Nah I don't agree. I love arguing with people, but the kinds of guys who get banned in events like WGDF are never interesting people to argue with.

It's like 911 truthers. In theory they should be interesting people to listen to, but actually all their crud is just the same, there's no creativity or originality in it. Their points are trite and exactly what you see written a billion times elsewhere and their delivery is like having someone shout in your ear.

To be snooty about it, the people who are smart enough to be interesting are smart enough not to get perma-banned. The people who get banned are normally really young and just finding their way around the internet or annoyingly bloody minded. It may be interesting the first time, but it's not the first time anymore, it's not even the 1000th time, I want to see a new trick.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
themilo504 said:
Which almost certainly had less to do with him being a virgin than other factors.

Not getting laid doesn't make you a homicidal maniac.

Hell, if the comic touches on that subject, it might be for the positive. The fact that people are addressing it solely on the grounds of his creepy misogynistic obsessions does more of a disservice to the topic than even a poor taste comic could.

RatherDull said:
You do not represent every fan.
No, but a good chunk of the fans are not insecure manchildren who go to war over every perceived slight. And the number of people who do that seems to be dwindling. They may not represent every fan, but they seem to be speaking in terms of the real majority.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
BrotherRool said:
Nah I don't agree. I love arguing with people, but the kinds of guys who get banned in events like WGDF are never interesting people to argue with.
Now, not limited just to the last WGDF thread, several "interesting" people managed to get themselves banned in what another user (I forget who) dubbed as "Sarkeesian Wars", too. Including some regulars who were usually known to make good points and back them up properly, and on both sides of the aisle.

Controversial topics draw controversy and cause mayhem. As a R&P regular I've seen many "interesting" people (and at most a handful of "the kind" you talk about) get banned...or just get fed up with the constant dickwaving and decide to lay low of their own accord.

So no I don't agree that controversial topics are "a good way to clean up the community". They're just a good way to teach people they should forgo open and honest discussion in favor of passive aggression so they have a better shot at avoiding getting moderated. And you know, when people are getting passive-aggressive all over the place, it's just bad.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
BrotherRool said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
BrotherRool said:

It's like 911 truthers. In theory they should be interesting people to listen to, but actually all their crud is just the same, there's no creativity or originality in it. Their points are trite and exactly what you see written a billion times elsewhere and their delivery is like having someone shout in your ear.

To be snooty about it, the people who are smart enough to be interesting are smart enough not to get perma-banned. The people who get banned are normally really young and just finding their way around the internet or annoyingly bloody minded. It may be interesting the first time, but it's not the first time anymore, it's not even the 1000th time, I want to see a new trick.
But then again, I'm one of those people who despise mods on principle and one of those people who'd shout "Fuck tha Police" if I wasn't so white and nerdy. It's no surprise I'd go for the anti-authority side. You do have a point on the 9/11 people, but in cases like those, it's usually a meme that gets uncritically parroted.