What are your irrational fears?

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
DOGS!, I know they won't pose any danger at all, but when i see one in real life i get scared, the more active the dog is the more scared i get.

FAST MOVING BALLS!, as you can imagine that what she said i a joke that often follows when i mention to this one.

and heights, spiders and the dark.

thought all these fears only scare me in person.

Psychedelic Spartan

Sep 15, 2011
Strain42 said:
Balloons. I hate balloons, I'm uncomfortable whenever I'm around them, I don't like touching them.

So...yeah. That usually throws people for a loop.
I used to have that too. then i took a wait a minute moment to the brain. YES! 3 months later and arrows to the knee are still alive thanks to me! Although to be honest, the balloons for me stems from loud noises because I used to get migraines really easily. Although, if I was the one with the balloon, it was fine. Also wasps.

Nansen

Sep 29, 2009
whales, sharks and other really big things in deep, deep water... it's not so much that I'll never stand a chance against one of those animals, should it decide to rip me in half, it's just... big things. in water.
I love to swim, but I'm really uncomfortable when I can't see the bottom due to murky waters or seaweed. I'm alright on ferries, but I'll imagine I wouldn't care much to be on a smaller boat out on the open ocean.
...I got really worked up when I did that thing in Fallout (New Vegas, I guess?) where you raise the plane from the lake, I was all like "gawd,I-hope-it's-not-a-big-plane,-it'll-scare-me-with-its-silhouette D:. *pant-pant*"

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
Myiasis, I've got a weird fear of being infested.

Insects, spiders etc don't bother me at all. But the though of them laying eggs in my skin and then having thousands of critters crawling around under. It wigs me out. By extension things like coral give me a bit of a spine tingle. And hives can do the same, so can sunflower husks.

I've had it as long as I can remember. The only thing is that because it's the only thing that wigs me out. I watch videos and stare at images about it for hours some times. It's almost like some perverse obsession, but when a video gives me that skin crawly feeling, I'll watch it and watch it and watch it some more.

Botfly vids on youtube have consumed a sizeable portion of my life.

You sir have just made me puke out every single organ in my body. Well done
My most irrational fear would have to be cool whip. It just creeps me out. Whipped cream is fine though.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Just_A_Glitch said:
This ************.

Seriously, I'm terrified of squid. They're the spiders of the sea, except they're huge and will drown you for the hell of it. I'm just glad I don't live near an ocean.

I mean, look at it!

How can you hate squids?! I wanted to get a degree in squids and my biggest dream is to do research on them. Either that or get my degree in octopuses.

OT: My irrational fear is people. Especially people looking at me. I don't know why they are looking and I don't know what they're thinking. Makes me nervous and just a little short of hyperventilating.

Cooperblack

Apr 6, 2009
Running out of toilet paper - seriously I'm always hoarding tp ..friends are beginning to inquire about my mental health.

senobit

Jan 6, 2011
Binnsyboy said:
Zen Toombs said:
Binnsyboy said:
Zen Toombs said:
Well, I'll argue that this isn't so irrational, but still.

I am terrified of completely losing control of my body, like from Locked-in Syndrome [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locked-in_syndrome], sleep paralysis [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis], and the like [www.this_isn't_a_real_link.stuff]. That's why I'll never get into lucid dreaming: it increases risk of sleep paralysis, and the one time that happened to me was the scariest couple minutes of my life.
I want to get into lucid dreaming, but I probably shouldn't,, as I want to go into the Royal Marines.

Can you imagine, sleeping in a foxhole, suddenly I'm woken up because people are coming. We've been found. And I can't fucking move!
I hear that can be problematic. :p

Although if occasional sleep paralysis and the accompanying hallucinations don't bother you at a conceptual level, then you may want to try that out after serving. Also, thank you for your service, even though it isn't in my country.

[small]unless i've failed at military knowledge. the us of a doesn't have a royal marine corps, right?[/small]
Quite right. The Royal Marines are a multipurpose British commando unit. Not to be confused with the US Marine Corps.
Christ I forgotten about sleep paralysis, its utterly terrifying, the worst episode I had lasted a few miniutes (I think, your in a weird altered state so its hard to tell how long has gone by) I focused completely on trying to move my left leg to kick my girlfriend so she'd get stroppy and wake me up. What made it even more frightening was I couldn't tell if I was moving my leg or imagining I was. When I finally did managed to move it was like trying to push though treakle.

Cheers for reminding me about it, I'm not going to sleep a wink tonight.

Also good luck joining the marines Binnsyboy, my top tips for basic are whatever exercise your doing now, do more and buy a decent iron, not some cheapo asda value crap.

Nubrain

Sep 17, 2010
Lets see:

1. Falling (not from a hight just triping and stuff. I have problems with my joints and fell a LOT as a kid)

2. Ice (see 1)

3. Wasps (Just found out I'm alergic and there are these huge blue/black ones in our area that are super agresive)

4. Wood Roaches (I know they can't hurt me but seeing one even a dead one has caused me to teleport to another room more than once)

5. When you leave a room and turn out the light behind you that "something" well jump out for thouse seconds your back is to the darkness.

6. Zombies

Though I'd say at least half of them are rational fears.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I don't fear them, but I goddam [HEADING=1]LOATHE[/HEADING]wasps. I hate them with a fiery passion that would put the Old Testament God to shame. If spiders kill those damned things, then, hell, bring on the spiders. Spiders I can deal with. Fuck Wasps.

On topic...things near my eyeball. Couldn't do contacts because through a Herculean feat of will, it would take me, oh, about an hour to safely get each contact in my eye. I'd consider the surgery, but...blades, near my eye? It'd have to be reallllllly worth it.

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
Internal bleeding, or the idea of an aneurysm or a stroke. Just suddenly dying when you look so fine and undamaged on the outside..it's an awful thought.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Just_A_Glitch said:
Yeah... They're straight out of War of the Worlds. It only helps the theory that everything in the water is evil (like the Goblin shark).
I agree, I think around 98% of evil and wierd animals live in water, its uncanny!

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
because of my major paranoia:

Screamer videos

When you see it pics

Spiders

The dark

Heights

Water

Horror movies

Horror novels

not-sid

Mar 18, 2009
I have a few minor things like heights, spiders, and tight closed spaces, but as far as irrational fears go I hate being in open waters. I keep thinking that somewhere in the murky waters is something that wants to eat me.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
Just_A_Glitch said:
Yeah... They're straight out of War of the Worlds. It only helps the theory that everything in the water is evil (like the Goblin shark).
I agree, I think around 98% of evil and wierd animals live in water, its uncanny!
You could tell me that an underwater Tyrannosaurus Rex exists, just stomping around on the ocean floor, and I'd believe you. The ocean already houses everything else that has no purpose existing, why not that too?!

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Hmm, in a sense I take issue to calling them "irrational". Often our instinctive fear of insects or spiders came from an evolutionary thing to try to avoid those creatures as they are often poisonous and will threaten our health. All of these fears have a reason behind them, or at least a very valid trigger that causes the response.

Still, I'm very typical with large spiders and the like. I wouldn't say I fear heights, but I certainly don't appreciate them.

LadyTiamat

Aug 13, 2011
Supascoot said:
Bees... so many BEESSSS

but i've never been stung :/
me as well, me as well

but i was stung once as a wee little toddler, now a flinch every time i hear buzzing and have the occational nightmare of buzzing.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
1 )Bones that are twisted in anyway they shouldnt -

2) Being in the sea - I once did a lot of body boarding on holiday in cornwall, but even if i am surrounded by 100s of people and a lifeguard i still freeze up from the thought of being swept away by the current.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Claustrophobia...sort of. I get uncomfortable in tight spaces and all, but overall I'm pretty good.

Until my arms get restrained or trapped in some way. Then I spazz out like a chimp on fire. There is no middle-ground. I just go from "Hello there, friend!" to "ARGHKILLKILLKILL" in a second.

Also, I hate running from things. If something wants to hurt me, in games or in life, I have to turn around, run at it, try and hit it in the face. It's not bravery, I'm just scared like hell of being chased. This often leads to me dying in horror games, as well as accidentally palming people in the face if they startle me badly. Rather embarrassing when someone comes in to kiss you and you palm-strike her to the floor.