what are your "unpopular" opinions on gaming?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
mushy262626 said:
1. gta 4, dragon age 1, and fallout 3 are bad games.
2. half life 2 and occarina of time dont hold up today
3. i liked super mario sunshine more than i liked any other mario games.
4. portal 1 and 2 are alright, but not that amasing
5. g mod made me lose interest after 5 minutes online
6. your not as horrible as a person as everyone makes you out to be
6. who are you reffering to? the general people here and the whole "I'm an asshole" attitude?

not me right? EVERYONE loves me!

EDIT: yes that was a somwhat sarcastic joke

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Shydrow said:
"1. I dont give a damn about regenerating health" yeah you failed on your first answer
well around these parts at least people seem to have a real problem with regernerating health...and I dont really understand why

that and It doesnt bother me

GWarface

Jun 3, 2010
starkiller212 said:
(Sorry for the double post, I suck at quoting)

GWarface said:
Most games are just another way to desensitise and corrupt the minds of the already dumbed down kids all around the world, through senseless violence and meaningless discussions about which and what game/console/pc/character/build/set-up/perks/tactic/etc is the best.

Gaming as a medium is just like any other medium. It molds and forms our outlook on life, our expectations, our dreams, sexual preferences, ways to communicate and the way we treat eachother.
And its an entertaining way to introduce "future" technologies that is being kept secret from the public.

Is this unpopular enough?

And yes, i am serious..
FYI, there have been a ton of studies on media effects on viewers, and they've all either been inconclusive or demonstrated that it doesn't really have any behavioral effects (e.g. causing violence), and that applies to books, TV, movies, video games, you name it; people are better at distinguishing reality from fantasy than you give them credit for.
(I'm generalizing a bit, but I have actually read a LOT of them for a number of research papers. You should really look into it more before just speculating, and I'm sure you'd find it fascinating anyway :)

FYI, most, if not all, of the "research" of the media is funded BY the media..
Saying that games or any other medium is not indoctrinating people and especially the young people is like saying that you dont get fat by eating at McD..

Some dont get fat and can eat McNuggets all day, everyday.. But some are most likely to put on some extra kilos if they eat there regulary, and some of them propably wont even know why.

Dont tell me that NOTHING in your life has EVER been formed by some kind of media, be it music, movies etc.
Games are just as good at putting thoughts in your head as those, if not better since they let you play out your fantasy instead of just watching or listening to it..

And before i need to put up the flame-shield; i play games.. I have been all my life.. I just recently realised how much shit it shoveled into our minds from all media fronts, and as hard as it is to accept, games are no different..

gruggins

Apr 24, 2011
1. I miss arcade-style rail shooters and genually wish there were more of them. (stuff like the time crisis series)
2. Boiware can go die in a fire
3. duke nukem forever was an alright game
4. I prefer suare-enix's Sa-Ga and mana serieses over the final fantasy series.
5. I prefer Daggerfall to the rest of the elder scrolls games. despite its flaws
6. and finally ff7 does NOT need a hd re-release. just... let it go guys

captcha: ortheres maks

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
GWarface said:
starkiller212 said:
(Sorry for the double post, I suck at quoting)

GWarface said:
Most games are just another way to desensitise and corrupt the minds of the already dumbed down kids all around the world, through senseless violence and meaningless discussions about which and what game/console/pc/character/build/set-up/perks/tactic/etc is the best.

Gaming as a medium is just like any other medium. It molds and forms our outlook on life, our expectations, our dreams, sexual preferences, ways to communicate and the way we treat eachother.
And its an entertaining way to introduce "future" technologies that is being kept secret from the public.

Is this unpopular enough?

And yes, i am serious..
FYI, there have been a ton of studies on media effects on viewers, and they've all either been inconclusive or demonstrated that it doesn't really have any behavioral effects (e.g. causing violence), and that applies to books, TV, movies, video games, you name it; people are better at distinguishing reality from fantasy than you give them credit for.
(I'm generalizing a bit, but I have actually read a LOT of them for a number of research papers. You should really look into it more before just speculating, and I'm sure you'd find it fascinating anyway :)

FYI, most, if not all, of the "research" of the media is funded BY the media..
Saying that games or any other medium is not indoctrinating people and especially the young people is like saying that you dont get fat by eating at McD..

Some dont get fat and can eat McNuggets all day, everyday.. But some are most likely to put on some extra kilos if they eat there regulary, and some of them propably wont even know why.

Dont tell me that NOTHING in your life has EVER been formed by some kind of media, be it music, movies etc.
Games are just as good at putting thoughts in your head as those, if not better since they let you play out your fantasy instead of just watching or listening to it..

And before i need to put up the flame-shield; i play games.. I have been all my life.. I just recently realised how much shit it shoveled into our minds from all media fronts, and as hard as it is to accept, games are no different..
I think you are right that media, including games, shape our attitudes and beliefs, but I think you're overreacting to this fact hugely. Just because it has an effect on us doesn't make it "indoctrination" or mean it's "shoveling shit into our minds". We all get our attitudes from somewhere, from many places in fact. Are you after some kind of pure character essence that only comes from within you? If so I think you're barking up the wrong tree; that essence was formed by external influences (mostly, if not completely). Sure, a lot of people are very suggestible and accept things like stereotypes and dodgy moral values uncritically, but that's the same everywhere you look. If you're aware that it's happening then you can choose not to be affected by it. Where's the problem?

Anyway, unpopular game views... Final Fantasy VII is the best game ever made. You might think that's a very popular view, but the angry counter-population of people who say it's overrated has grown so large that I'm pretty sure it now outnumbers us.

xbox hero

Jun 6, 2011
Mr Ink 5000 said:
people need to stop buying generic games and over priced DLC; people, vote with your wallets n stop making life hard for the rest of us gamers
Oh you will like me...Come to the dark side,where games cost 8 dollars,join us where every game,no matter how old or new,DLC,and many things more are free (this is all legal!)
anyway....

1. people pirating games aren't that bad(people pirate movies and hollywood doesn't give a fuck!)

2.Some movie basted games are really fun!

3.I enjoyed transformers 1

4.Assassins creed brotherhood on my mobile is better then Mindjack

5.The mobile version of PoP Sands of time is better then the original

6.CoD is a great series,and one of the most high ranking series of all time.

7. DOWN WITH MARIO AND LINK!!
(sorry for the long list guys!)
8.MA 1 SUCKED!!

9.Sonic still has some fun games,and for me he is the king of old gaming

10.Duke Nukem can fuck right off!

11.Mindless havoc is great fun and reviewers who disagree are just assholes and old people!

That is all :)

WanderingBiscuits

Apr 19, 2010
Woodsey said:
]Most gamers wouldn't know good writing, storytelling or dialogue if it slapped them in the face and then fucked their mum.
Translation
"Most gamers enjoy certain stories and dialogue that i deem to be bad. Therefore they are wrong and i am right."

To add to the thread

1> I can't stand any of the smash brawl games.
2> twilight princess was the weakest zelda i've played.

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
Oh, I know. The Wii, XBox Kinect and PS Move are totally lame and not impressive at all. They are not some kind of gaming revolution, they're just a new type of controller. It's the equivalent of a parent giving a child a spoon that lights up and plays music so they'll eat the same old boring porridge without complaint.

Dec 16, 2009
xbox hero said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
people need to stop buying generic games and over priced DLC; people, vote with your wallets n stop making life hard for the rest of us gamers
Oh you will like me...Come to the dark side,where games cost 8 dollars,join us where every game,no matter how old or new,DLC,and many things more are free (this is all legal!)
I'm curious, where is this magical place?

Kenami

Nov 3, 2010
AlotFirst said:
8. I liked the first three Harry Potter games.
Wow. At times I really felt as though i was the only one who enjoyed the first three games as well. Original xbox for Prisoner, Playstation one for Chamber of Secrets, and Game Boy Color/Advance for all three.

Ventilator89

Jun 25, 2011
Ok these are mine.
1. I dont like Oblivion and Morrowind much, but that's just my personal opinon.
2. League of legends is a fun game.
3. Too many fps games.
4. Zombies are in everthing these days...
5. I bought Guild Wars and I don't really like it? what's good about it? what am I missing here? D=

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

Delicious Anathema

Aug 25, 2009
Didn't like Infamous, Uncharted and Gears of War, found them boring to death.

I love Alien Trilogy and think it's better than Doom.

I don't like Super Mario Sunshine, or even Luigi's Mansion and thought the Gamecube had a mostly sucky library (for my tastes anyway).

Saturn > Dreamcast. Dreamcast was okay but not enough console-like titles that I liked, plus the controller is crap.

I hate the 360 controller because of the d-pad and hard buttons.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Mr Ink 5000 said:
But this opinion's more popular than God in the Gaming community..

1)Half Life isn't so good.
2)I actually liked MW2's plot.
That's about it for now.

Dec 16, 2009
Alon Shechter said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
But this opinion's more popular than God in the Gaming community..

snip.
Very true that it is popular enough that i have heard it voiced before. Although it really feels like too many people still ain't getting or dont believe in the message. so i would atleast say it went against how the majority felt.

Incomer

Sep 15, 2009
1) I liked Prince of Persia 2008 and I still think it's one of the few games with great atmosphere (even though it's mostly done by amazing music since the story crumbles at first glance).
2)Oblivion is bad
3)Bioware has no idea how to make engaging boss fights (not entirely true but last good one I had was in KotOR and that was quiet a few years back).
4)The Witcher 2 wasn't as hard as many people claim.

Collins254

Jul 30, 2011
1. I enjoyed all of the naruto games and find them much more interesting than tekken or soul calibre or even street fighter
2. left for dead is a terrible franchise which i hate, the best survival mode shooting i have ever played honestly is Halo3:ODST
3. why do people like gears of war? its alot of slow moving cover diving balls
4. final fantasy 8 was the best of the series, and after it left the playstation 1 it became terrible
5. Blitzball from number 10 admittedly should have had its own game, i had more playtime on that than on the actualy game.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
1. Valve games are alright, but not great. I am repulsed daily by the level of cockworship given to Gabe Newel and company, as if their games are flawless gems.

Maybe it's just the fact that I never played Half Life 2 until Orange Box was released, but I really didn't see what the big deal was. Not to say I didn't have fun with the gravity gun and the sniper rifle that pins enemies to walls, but honestly, it wasn't as exciting as everyone made it out to be. Left 4 Dead multiplayer is just boring unless you're playing as the Infected, and even then the only fun thing to do after awhile is see how far you can land on people as a Hunter. Portal and Portal 2 are great if you like puzzle games. If you're not into them or just in the mood to blow things up, then it's tedious. Team Fortress is likewise a snorefest.

2. Children in MMOs can fuck off. This isn't Bring Your Kid to Work Day. I'm here to play with people my own age, swear and make dirty jokes. When you tell me I have to watch my language "because there are kids who are on here", my immediate response is "You and your little preschool buddies can take a hike." Sorry, but I didn't come here to be a freelance babysitter.

Jackle_666

Feb 23, 2010
Resident Evil 4 is rubbish
Killzone 2 and 3 are better than any of the Halo's
Spyro 2 is better than Mario 64
The death of the Dreamcast was nobodies fault but Sega's
Deadly Premonition is among the worst games ever made
Jak 2 Renegade is one of the most underrated games ever