What books are you reading?

Punainen

Mar 30, 2009
I'm reading Carrie... I love Stephen King, but I actually DON'T recommend this book. I don't even know HOW this book landed him a career--I'm glad it did 'cause I love his other works--but Carrie is a clusterfuck of disjointed story-telling.

I WOULD however recommend The Dark Half by Stephen King. People's imaginary characters popping out of their heads for murderous revenge is always fun. There's also a good mix of dark humor thrown in for good measure. The ending it a little lacking and predictable, but all of the story beforehand makes the mild disappointment in that acceptable.

The Dark Half is what hooked me into Stephen King in the first place; and George Stark has become one of my favorite fictional characters of all time. DON'T watch the movie though, as it was a pile of vomit by comparison.

darthsmily

Feb 21, 2008
Right now I've been reading A Song of Ice and Fire saga. Right now I'm up to A Storm of Swords. Brilliant books, I whole-heartedly reccomend them if you like your fantasy with a large dose of political intrigue.

doctorwhofan

Mar 20, 2009
Going through my Drizzt as a refresher.

and

"Fortress in the Eye of Time" By C.J. Cherryh first in a series of fantasy

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
Inverse Skies said:
Daye.04 said:
Oh how I love the Dark Tower. By far one of my top most favorite series thus far. I just love it =D I'm not done yet though, so shush! =P
I'd never spoil the ending for you... but please let me know what you personally think of it... because we might have something to discuss...
Don't get me started...
Then again, Stephen King never could write a proper ending to any of his books, so this came as no surprise. Don't get wrong, great author, love his work, but he can't write an ending to save his life.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
asiepshtain said:
Don't get me started...
Then again, Stephen King never could write a proper ending to any of his books, so this came as no surprise. Don't get wrong, great author, love his work, but he can't write an ending to save his life.
What about The Talisman? The ending to that was unbelievable with the Black Hotel and the Blasted Lands. It was fantastic as well, especially when you learnt what It really was...

Beefcakes

Pants Lord of Vodka
Aug 11, 2008
Just finished a school book The Kite Runner, its a pretty good read, considering its a school book...

Yokomitsu

Mar 25, 2009
Inverse Skies said:
asiepshtain said:
Don't get me started...
What about The Talisman? The ending to that was unbelievable with the Black Hotel and the Blasted Lands. It was fantastic as well, especially when you learnt what It really was...
Well it is the best one out of the 3 we were assigned to read....Romulus,My Father , kite runner, and the line

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
Inverse Skies said:
asiepshtain said:
Don't get me started...
The talisman is co-authored with Peter Straub, and like black house (also with Peter Straub) is very different from most of Stephen kings works. And I do agree that it seems Peter Straub is a positive influence.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
asiepshtain said:
The talisman is co-authored with Peter Straub, and like black house (also with Peter Straub) is very different from most of Stephen kings works. And I do agree that it seems Peter Straub is a positive influence.
After reading the Talisman I tried to read Peter Straub and didn't like him, they obviously complemented each other well though because The Talisman is fantastic.

Now that you've got me thinking about it... most Stephen King books have plain endings. But I remember him saying something about how it's the journey and not the destination which he finds important, which gives an indication of why his books are so great despite their endings.

I've got one! The Mist from Skeleton Crew - that was fantastic the whole way through.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Soul Music by Terry Pratchett..

I gotta say, I've not groaned at a book so many times in my life.

Most of his books, even the one based sharply in allegory are elegant

but this one just seems to want to put a ridiculous allusion on every single page (sometimes more then 1 per page), and it's just making me groan.. it's not that funny..

can't wait to get to the next one :p

Redlac

Dec 12, 2007
I'm still ploughing through Necronomicon: The Collected Works of H. P. Lovecraft. It's very good. I've just reached The Call of Cthulu, but there's still 3/4 of a book to go!

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
Inverse Skies said:
Daye.04 said:
I see =P Are you kidding me? No one who reads it? I mean. I just mention the series in a passing referance, and they're allready on the series. (..)
Lol, I want to say more... but I have to stop. You will enjoy them though :)
Yeah, you do =P
I'm very sure I will. If they're as good as thus far, I'll be overly excited ..

Inverse Skies said:
Phew. For a second there I thought you were going to reveal the ending =P
I was reading every word very slowly to try and pick up a hint if you were going to reveal it or not =P

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Daye.04 said:
Phew. For a second there I thought you were going to reveal the ending =P
I was reading every word very slowly to try and pick up a hint if you were going to reveal it or not =P
Nope! Talking about a seperate book there, which is also very good and worth a read if you can find a translation of it.

Falien

Nov 21, 2008
I am a huge comics and graphic novels fan. At the moment I am reading The Life Eaters, by David Brin (writer) and Scott Hampton (artist) - it's an alternate-history novel in which the Nazis manage to win World War II by invoking the Norse gods as allies through necromancy. So far, it is quite good - it reminds me of another favourite graphic novel, The Red Star, another case where science and magic meet.

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
Inverse Skies said:
Nope! Talking about a seperate book there, which is also very good and worth a read if you can find a translation of it.
Yeah, I realized that. And I'm pretty sure I can find an translation for it. Otherwise Savannah is the way to go. Also I'm quite sure my father has allready read it. So I could probably just borrow it from him ...

Oh and by the way. Seems like you don't have to wait for me after all. There seems to be several other people on the forum that has read the whole series ..