What Ethnic Group Will Replace Nazis?

Giftmacher

Jul 22, 2008
May as well be Brits, or more specifically the English. We're used to it anyway, loads of movies cast a villain with a cut-glass English accent. Besides, it's not as if we've always been pleasant...

I would like to mention one group I'd like to see cast as evil less often: scientists. (Ok not an ethnic group but then, as others have pointed out, neither were Nazis.) I'm a scientist myself, and the reckless and immoral scientist TV/Game/Movie trope is really tiresome. Studying, the physical world in depth doesn't magically make anyone less ethical. Furthermore, ethics was a compulsory part of my undergrad course ~15 years ago so the importance of a bit of reflection has been acknowledged for at least that long.

*Grumble* *axe grind*

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Why make the Vikings bad guys? (oh yeah we did sort of invade the british isles).

Why not a game where you play as one of the norse gods (the real ones, not the ones in Marvel or Too Human) fighting off all the fake religious figures (a brawl between Tyr and Hercules would be awesome, or a tag-team match between Odin and Thor vs Allah and Jesus just to be completely politically incorrect).

OR EVEN BETTER!

Playing as a viking INVADING the british isles

eniac0

Aug 3, 2010
Giftmacher said:
May as well be Brits, or more specifically the English. We're used to it anyway, loads of movies cast a villain with a cut-glass English accent. Besides, it's not as if we've always been pleasant...

I would like to mention one group I'd like to see cast as evil less often: scientists. (Ok not an ethnic group but then, as others have pointed out, neither were Nazis.) I'm a scientist myself, and the reckless and immoral scientist TV/Game/Movie trope is really tiresome. Studying, the physical world in depth doesn't magically make anyone less ethical. Furthermore, ethics was a compulsory part of my undergrad course ~15 years ago so the importance of a bit of reflection has been acknowledged for at least that long.

*Grumble* *axe grind*
hasn't Marvel degraded the public opinion of Scientists enough? I can't think of enough mad scientists that were destroyed by super heroes. Batman, superman, hulk, x-men, and well...i think just all of them, have sooner or later be the victim of a scientist trying to take over the world. (almost not a referrence to to pinky and the brain)

Altered Nova

Apr 5, 2012
America. Seriously, we're the only country in the world powerful enough to actually potentially conquer it alone. (Sorry Homefront but no way in heck is North Korea ever going to conquer the free world). All the other countries would have to band together to fight us off, making for a good underdog protagonist.

And it's not even that unrealistic. With all the unnecessary wars we've been starting over in the middle east, I wouldn't have a hard believing that we might start another world war in a few decades if the right wing extremists managed to take complete control of the government.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Draconalis said:
My vote goes to the Amish.
What? Why? They're like Tibetan monks, peaceful people.

My vote would be for the English or Congolese. For the English, I believe they started concentration camps on the Boer, oppressed the Irish, was a drug pusher in China, dominated India, bullied the US and enslaved many parts of Africa. As for the Congolese, with how wide spread/systematic rape is there, they seem like good villains.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
Note: i am white/caucasian/whatever

Can i vote for white people? Just ya know, nothin racist or demonizing of a race. But just make the race you most comonly are in a game as the protagonist also the main race of the enemy.

Is that so hard? Do they have to be different to be "bad"?

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
Targaryens. Not the pretty, innocent ones - just the pricks. Ya know, like Viserys. It's easy to tell. Some are practically born with the trait, roughly 50% of them in fact. Has to do with the constant inbreeding.

WoahDan

Sep 7, 2011
Wish the Mongol apologism would stop, whilst SOME of what they did was beneficial and they certainly weren't barbarians, that doesn't cancel out the fact they made pyramids out of human skulls.

Same with the Aztecs, they were right nasty buggers and the fact they also built a nice city doesn't cancel out that fact.

There are loads of African dictators to use, but that kinda runs into the problem of killing loads of black people *cough*RE5*cough* .

The main problem is that the modern-day baddies tend to be a lot poorer than us which kinda takes the sportsmanship out of it. The best analogue for an evil empire today probably IS the US... so why not go with that? I'd play a game where you have to fight an America-gone rogue, but then I guess I'm not american so my opinion isn't worth much on that.

To any Americans reading: Would you be put of if the main enemy of a game was your own nation gone evil?

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
I thoght that the entire point of this was that we wanted a group that was not morally ambiguous to kill.

I thunk there are too many unfortunate implications about lots of white teenagers killing lots of black people in a video game.

Also add in the fact that the reason people are so up in arms about Kony is his use of child soldiers so who do you think you'd be fighting?

Quorothorn

Apr 9, 2010
I suppose this goes back to that general lack of creativity going around right now. Let's just go over and over WWII and afterwards. Why no WWI games, even??

Fallout New Vegas was different in how a possible central enemy faction was a group trying to be a new Roman Empire in post-apocalyptic Nevada and kind of failing. But then, that's a RPG-shooter, not a "modern" shooter.

Really, games placed firmly in older historical settings in general might be nice. Seems if you want to fight things with a sword these days, you *usually* have to do it in some "alternate world" fantasy setting i.e. Skyrim--and then magic always gets introduced into the equation. How come I've only been able to fight in the Hundred Years' War in Age of Empires?

Ekonk said:
The Mongols were actually pretty cool. They conquered bloodily and horribly, but in their empire shit was awesome. There was absolute religious freedom and it was a very secure place. It was said that a man could walk from one end of the empire to the other with a plate of gold on his head and never risk being robbed.

That security was a enormous boost for land-based trading routes, which lead to great economic growth for everyone, etc.

TL;DR Mongols hardly that bad, certainly not on par with the Nazis.
Not to get too much into a historical debate, but the Mongol Empire's brand of conquest was SO over-the-top horrible that I, personally, don't think anything they did or did not do in the conquered regions afterwards makes their Empire any less "evil". The Mongol attack on Baghdad alone killed probably hundreds of thousands of people and destroyed the greatest library of the era, and their invasions of the Middle East area overall are a prime reason for why the region is unstable to this day.

As for their sometimes-overly-vaunted security, it was enforced by the threat of outright killing everyone in a town or region, and only happened because the Mongols only cared about getting their regular tributes, not because of any actual humanitarian urges. As long as you bowed down to passing Mongols (figuratively more than literally, mind) and paid them regularly whatever they wanted, they didn't actually do much positive *or* negative in those regions. Genghis Khan just wanted his and the Mongols' name to ring through history, and to get a lot of money (and, admittedly, get them out of that desert). And he killed thousands upon thousands of people to achieve that. The man was evil, and being brilliant only enhances that fact (Mongol military was perhaps the first "modern" military in its organization level--and again, that incredible organization was used to slaughter people for decades and centuries).

TL;DR It's hard to say any group in human history was "equally as evil" as the Nazis, which is one reason why Godwin's Law exits, but the Mongol Empire was a very negative force on human civilization--and one that lasted a loooot longer than the Third Reich, to boot.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Wait, did Yahtzee just express outrage at the fact you can shoot enemies in the balls? The same Yahtzee who specifically pointed out the lack of testicles in the Mortal Kombat X-ray moves as shamelessly hypocritical?

You can't have you cake and eat it, Yahtzee, my old fellow.

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
There's the 5 universally ok things to kill....aka ultimate fodder groups

1.Aliens..long as they don't look too human-like in appearance, blast away. The greener and more bug like the better.

2. Robots, Just look at the death blows the Transformers do to each other in the movies, you'd never get away with something that gory on human being. Parts fly everywhere when they die, no one cries...(unless it's Optimus prime...*sniffles*)

3.The undead, they re usually already dead, so can't murder someone who isn't living. You're just restoring the natural order of things. Whether it's vampires, zombies,or skeletons send them back to their graves. The Belmonts been doing it for years.

4.Demons, they re pure evil usually. Again no one minds them being sent back to hell by whatever force needed to do it.

5. Nazi, Oh Hitler you crazy bastard. Your greatest achievement was giving entertainment mediums the ultimate vilains group to smash for decades to come.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Just to clear up a point Yatzee made...
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
What Ethnic Group Will Replace Nazis?

Yahtzee goes down the list of possible antagonists for upcoming games.

Read Full Article
Just to clear up a point Yatzee made...Mongols are very proud of the Khans and their empire.
They did indeed burn some libraries (those silly guys never learnt how to read) but they did also spare many.
All the Khan's were very tolerant of religion and encouraged religious tolerance in all their subjects.
That surely cannot be seen as a bad thing.

They funded advances in science and medicine, built a road which connected Asia to Europe and they introduced the world to the wonders of throat singing.

Just don't piss them off or they'll cut off your balls and stick them in your mouth.

Altered Nova

Apr 5, 2012
No, you do not get "great information" from torture. You get anything and everything the victim thinks you want to hear, regardless of whether it's true or not. When incoherent from agony they will say anything to make the pain stop. You end up chasing down hundreds of wild goose chases for every actual fact you learn from your victim. That's why all civilized nations save America have abandoned torture as an information gathering method - not only is it inhumane, it's completely, utterly ineffective.

And far from making the enemy suffer so greatly they give up, using torture only convinces them that they are morally superior and inspires them to continue fighting. Yes, you might take the fight out of the one guy you tortured and convince a couple of others it's not worth fighting when the risk is that terrible, but you'll also make 50 new enemies who are now convinced you are evil incarnate. Using torture is lose-lose. You don't gain any information, and you give your enemy fantastic propoganda.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'm rather surprised we haven't seen a game from the church's perspective that kills persons of other faiths, "witches", atheists, and those that question the church. There's a rich subject matter that hasn't much been explored yet.