What happened to the Escapist?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
AzrealMaximillion said:
Comeplete censorship of it made the other sites look real cowardly. Moderating it by the rules like anything else gave The Escapist a lot of props late last year.
Except it wasn't moderated "like anything else".
GamerGate was granted all kinds of special concessions and exemptions from the rules.

Hell, one of the forum rules was actually changed, specifically to accommodate GamerGate.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
MarsAtlas said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Moderating it by the rules like anything else gave The Escapist a lot of props late last year.

Yeah, can you tell me how many other threads in Escapist history end up with thousands of wrathable posts, no actual subject, general disregard to posting ettiquette, and shitposting to the extreme, among other things?

I'll give you a hint: the answer is zero.

Regardless of feelings on GamerGate, anybody who thinks that the megathread is within the confines of the rules set for the site either has never ventured in the thread or is being dishonest. Its the same reason why all the moderators have been pissed off at Archon for months now - their authority is being undermined and their intelligence being disrespected by allowing by the flagrant disregard for all of the site rules, rules that that were outlined to them, after being told that their judgments would be respected.
Your forum health bar is looking pretty bad at the minute, doesn't that mean that you have a flagrant disregard for the site rules?

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
sky14kemea said:
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Dear Spiderman-moderess. I meant no disrespect. I understand that you are fluffy. Not rough, not brutal, not tyrannical, not even soft, but fluffy. As fluffy as our wombats here in our Aussie land! Cuddly wombats. Hmm. Yes, you are not the spider, but the wombatman-moderess. Yes.

Wombatman-moderess. That should be your title. Much better than spiderman.
What a great idea! I should be a cute, cuddly wombat.

Awww, what a cute li-

-ttle Oh MY GOD WHAT THE HECK IS THAT THING?!
Damn, but I've missed posts like this! :D

That gave me a lot of warm, fluffy nostalgia, Spidermod.

Things like this keep me coming back here. This is my digital equivalent of Eric Foreman's basement or the Central Perk from Friends.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
MarsAtlas said:
Breakdown said:
Your forum health bar is looking pretty bad at the minute, doesn't that mean that you have a flagrant disregard for the site rules?
My forum health was perfect in July. You do the math.
Gamergate made you do bad things?

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Boba Frag said:
Damn, but I've missed posts like this! :D

That gave me a lot of warm, fluffy nostalgia, Spidermod.

Things like this keep me coming back here. This is my digital equivalent of Eric Foreman's basement or the Central Perk from Friends.
Pfttt, nostalgia.

:D

Leon Royce

Aug 22, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
I came for Yahtzee and for Yahtzee I'm staying. In my early Escapist days I kept confusing his personal site - Fully Ramblomatic, nowadays a "biannually updated blog" - with this place. It's always been The Yahtzee Show to me. I never understood the reverie surrounding Jim or Bob (especially considering Bob's tackiness and lack of professionalism). I'm surprised they're gone because it goes against habit, and I wonder how does this benefit the staff seeing as how they were responsible for a lot of the site's traffic. But I don't lament their departure, and if it means getting better content producers (because they're gonna get someone, right?), I celebrate it.
Completely agreed. Jim always made me cringe when I watched him. This site should just be renamed ZeroPunctuation.com.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
If I remember right, the person who first distributed this image (was it on Reddit? My memory is fuzzy) was Velventian (who admitted it later in the megathread, committed forum suicide, subsequently banned), someone who sort of went...far off the rails. I vaguely recall many reactions in the megathread being baffled or disagreeing with the image. But self-admittedly, my memory is shit.

But I think that highlights a problem with GG, in that there still is no greater organization to denounce certain actions or hold certain people responsible for them. Just throwing out "it's a leaderless movement" and not wanting to explain a position when someone in the movement goes way too far is not an excuse. I think it's far simpler and much more effective to say that the image was hyper-reactionary and unnecessary and denounce its usage.

I would like moderation to be more strict in the megathread, but honestly at this point it should be a user group. Some would even say that when all this shit began.

This is coming as someone that agrees with a number of GG's points or views, and still thinks it has some form of merit lurking in it. Don't blame ANYBODY for not thinking so though. Especially if they've only interacted with supporters here.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Solaire of Astora said:
MarsAtlas said:
If I remember right, the person who first distributed this image (was it on Reddit? My memory is fuzzy) was Velventian (who admitted it later in the megathread, committed forum suicide, subsequently banned), someone who sort of went...far off the rails. I vaguely recall many reactions in the megathread being baffled or disagreeing with the image. But self-admittedly, my memory is shit.

But I think that highlights a problem with GG, in that there still is no greater organization to denounce certain actions or hold certain people responsible for them. Just throwing out "it's a leaderless movement" and not wanting to explain a position when someone in the movement goes way too far is not an excuse. I think it's far simpler and much more effective to say that the image was hyper-reactionary and unnecessary and denounce its usage.

I would like moderation to be more strict in the megathread, but honestly at this point it should be a user group. Some would even say that when all this shit began.

This is coming as someone that agrees with a number of GG's points or views, and still thinks it has some form of merit lurking in it. Don't blame ANYBODY for not thinking so though. Especially if they've only interacted with supporters here.
A user group would work great. It wouldn't be diluting any forum space it occupied (like poor R&P) and they could keep it public so people could still see the discussion even if they are not members. Hell, call it debate group so anti-GG people can join without feeling quite as weird about it.

As a side note I chose that Avengers Forever image for the Brovengers homepage like forever ago. It's kinda funny seeing it plastered on some conspiracy theory poster XD

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Fappy said:
As a side note I chose that Avengers Forever image for the Brovengers homepage like forever ago. It's kinda funny seeing it plastered on some conspiracy theory poster XD

Yes, conspiracy theories, keep up the facade.

It's actually hilarious that someone thought BroChat would have the organisational skills to "plan raids" of GG shit. XD

Pete Oddly

Nov 19, 2009
I came here one day out of the blue. I'm not sure why. Maybe I saw an Extra Punctuation on YouTube and wondered where it came from. The site I found was wonderful.

Starting with Zero Punctuation, I began watching entire series of videos which I had never heard of. Apocalypse Lane (Jon Ethridge kicks all sorts of ass, by the way), There Will Be Brawl, Escape to the Movies, Game Dogs, Unskippable...I couldn't believe the wealth of great content I had found. Doraleus and Associates and Extra Credits sealed the deal when they came around. I was hooked.

Some series came to narrative conclusions, and so when they disappeared I understood. Game Dogs ended on a weird note, and always left me with the suspicion that something had gone on behind the scenes for the show to get the axe. Extra Credits leaving really threw me for a loop, and over the last few months Jim and Bob...Only Yahtzee is here now for my viewing pleasure. Sure, I still get most of my geek news from here, but the coverage isn't by any means widespread. There's all sorts of interesting stories which fall through the cracks, making me go elsewhere for the details.

The forums...oh man. See, I've forum-hopped for years. I rarely post on multiple forums, instead I maintain a presence in one place and then move on when I get sick of the bullshit. I started with Goofball.com, then moved to WinMX, Nation States, Gaia Online, 4chan, and then finally to here. Here I finally found a community with which I could identify, one that wasn't full of kids or prejudiced assholes. Then GamerGate happened.

The divisiveness of this whole shitpile shitstorm of useless shit was/is legendary. The tangible effect it's had (if it's had any real effects at all) was to drive a wedge right down into the gaming community. Even one of my best friends and I got into it over this, each on different sides of the issue.

In the aftermath, we have a lot of snotty behaviour for parties on both sides, lots of cold shoulders going around, and too many people either too terrified to bring up social subjects, or making mouthy hyperbolic comments about them in order to incite ire.

Well, as much as the climate has changed here, I'm not moving on. Sure, I'll be doing most of my content watching on YouTube now (in all honesty, I have been for the last couple of years), but I'll always miss the days when there were websites apart from the 'Tube which hosted awesome and unique content. As far as hopping to YouTube comments sections? No fucking thanks. Things around here might be slightly rough lately, but that place is a bubbling cess pit.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Colour Scientist said:
Fappy said:

It's actually hilarious that someone thought BroChat would have the organisational skills to "plan raids" of GG shit. XD
No one there can even organize a steam playdate. Christ.

I think we played TF2 like once... I know I played LoL with Shrek a few years ago.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Like pretty much everyone else I became aware of The Escapist because of Zero Punctuation. Then I stuck around for the other creative shows and web series they were hosting. They partnered with and hosted 'There Will be Brawl', they had original animation work like Doraleous & Associates, and live shows like Space Janitors. There was a time when they held an annual short film competition.

But I don't know how the financials work behind these things, and what's going on with ownership changes and the likes. Maybe they were losing money doing these things, and sold to a company that intended to make the site profitable. Rather than producing original collaborative works there was a shift in focus to weekly single host talk shows. I'm sure the latter are much cheaper to produce and much more reliable to keep on schedule. Then they started putting their eggs all in one basket, rather than come up with a new show they just had Jim/Yahtzee/Bob pick up another day of the week. Another cost saving measure, but of course the problem here is if one leaves there goes a big swath of your content. I don't believe we know why Movie Bob left yet, but with Jim it seemed to be concerns over increasing influence of advertisements, which is essentially more monetization.

So I don't know, maybe the big bad new owners are greedy sellouts that are ruining a good thing. Or maybe the Escapist as it used to be was too much of a good thing never sustainable, and these shifts in focus are a necessary evil to keep things running. Or of course anything in between, who knows really.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Fappy said:
Colour Scientist said:
Fappy said:

I think we played TF2 like once... I know I played LoL with Shrek a few years ago.
Y u no play garmes with me, Fapster?

Huh?

Am I not good enough? D:

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Colour Scientist said:
Fappy said:
Colour Scientist said:
Fappy said:

Y u no play garmes with me, Fapster?

Huh?

Am I not good enough? D:
Get Gaystar to play a game with me for once and we can do a double date with Caroline too!

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I used to watch the videos only in Youtube. But when Zero Punctuation replaced the ending jokes with a "subscribe" screen, I looked for the side. I also visited it for MovieBob's review of "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2" (which was unexplainable absent from the Youtube channel), but I never signed up until much latter (when I began to comment in articles and videos). It's sad to see so many interesting people leave the Escapist.