What have you purchased recently?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Heard of it, but apparently it had issues? I checked into it around the time it came out. Honestly I haven't heard anyone talk about it in like forever.

I might give it a 2nd look.
Issues like bugs? Don't know much about the game myself. It came out in 2013 and got ported to PS4 a couple of years ago. From the teaser and a couple of reviews it looks like creepypasta Zelda.

1618008152212.png

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Issues like bugs? Don't know much about the game myself. It came out in 2013 and got ported to PS4 a couple of years ago. From the teaser and a couple of reviews it looks like creepypasta Zelda.

View attachment 3623
Not to much bugs, I just remember a few reviews(including Yathzee doing a LP) saying it wasn't great despite the concept. I've never talked to anyone whose actually played it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Not to much bugs, I just remember a few reviews(including Yathzee doing a LP) saying it wasn't great despite the concept. I've never talked to anyone whose actually played it.
I'd never heard about it until I saw it on sale and looked it up. Did Yahtzee really play it? Can't seem to find that.
Apparently most people complained about the story being too cryptic to be conclusive or satisfying, but I'm on board with that kind of stuff.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'd never heard about it until I saw it on sale and looked it up. Did Yahtzee really play it? Can't seem to find that.
Apparently most people complained about the story being too cryptic to be conclusive or satisfying, but I'm on board with that kind of stuff.
He has a "Let's drown out" series he played with his friend Gabe back in Australia. One of the games he played was Titan Souls.

I'm amenable to indie games like this, which is why I'm still curious, but the user reviews on gog and steam are mixed and same with metacritic.

So I guess it will depend on if I'm really in the mood for something like this and willing to take a risk.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I saw an Asus 2080 Super available for sale. Came this close to hitting the buy button.
How much was it? The other day I saw a guy selling one for around $600. That doesn't seem like what a midrange GPU should cost. Hell, that much should be able to pay for a whole damn PC.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
How much was it? The other day I saw a guy selling one for around $600. That doesn't seem like what a midrange GPU should cost. Hell, that much should be able to pay for a whole damn PC.
The cost was $1500, but that's.....probably about what it should cost with maybe a small scarcity markup in Aussie dollars. And the 2080 Super isn't a midrange GPU, it was the second highest spec model in the RTX 20XX series.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The cost was $1500, but that's.....probably about what it should cost with maybe a small scarcity markup in Aussie dollars. And the 2080 Super isn't a midrange GPU, it was the second highest spec model in the RTX 20XX series.
Seriously? It's been a long time since I looked at PC parts, but I was under the assumption the 60 series was midrange, 50 below was entry level, and 70 and above was top tier. Is that 1500 in Aussie dollars or...? Because its retail price in USD is $400 and even during these times an almost 4x price tag seems ridiculous.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Seriously? It's been a long time since I looked at PC parts, but I was under the assumption the 60 series was midrange, 50 below was entry level, and 70 and above was top tier. Is that 1500 in Aussie dollars or...? Because its retail price in USD is $400 and even during these times an almost 4x price tag seems ridiculous.
Yes, a card ending in 60 would be a mid-range card, but I'm not talking about an RTX 2060 but an RTX 2080 Super. It is the very definition of the penultimate card in the RTX 20XX series. Its only beaten by the RTX 2080Ti. And yes that's Australian dollars for the price, which since the RTX 2080 Super retailed for a hair under $800USD, is pretty much the correct MSRP.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yes, a card ending in 60 would be a mid-range card, but I'm not talking about an RTX 2060 but an RTX 2080 Super. It is the very definition of the penultimate card in the RTX 20XX series. Its only beaten by the RTX 2080Ti. And yes that's Australian dollars for the price, which since the RTX 2080 Super retailed for a hair under $800USD, is pretty much the correct MSRP.
Welp that's embarrassing. Guess it was so fresh in my mind that the price for 2060 Super was fucking ridiculous. Sorry for the confusion.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Welp that's embarrassing. Guess it was so fresh in my mind that the price for 2060 Super was fucking ridiculous. Sorry for the confusion.
It is all good. And I'd need to be desperate. As in, PC borked and I need a GPU right now to even contemplate paying that much for a 2060 anything. But for a 2080.......shit the temptation of the dark side was strong.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It is all good. And I'd need to be desperate. As in, PC borked and I need a GPU right now to even contemplate paying that much for a 2060 anything. But for a 2080.......shit the temptation of the dark side was strong.
Even though I don't currently have any immediate plans to build a PC, when I do see a graphics card on sale I get hella tempted too. But it's easy to forget that the few bucks you'd save are insignificant compared to the inflated prices of other parts these days. When I was in high school I was so set on saving 400 bucks to get my very first modest gaming PC. Turns out such a budget is only possible if you live in a country like America where you can choose parts with ease and without a ridiculous markup.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

I just got this shirt in the mail. It's pretty awesome but the shoulders are a bit snug so I might look into returning it for a larger size, by the size measurement chart it was bigger than my current favorite Aperature Science polo shirt but it did say to go a size higher than you normally would on the site as well.

I've been planning to buy a sports mask, as I enjoy exercising outside, but apparently none of them are actually rated for protection against Covid. Which seems misleading as fuck.

I know that cloth masks in general offer some protection, but shit if I'm going to be spending literally 100x the price of a surgical mask, I want it to offer some above average protection.
You don't need to mask outside. Unless your exercising directly next to people, which I doubt, you're fine. You have a greater chance of getting hit by a car outside.

Reactions: gorfias

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Even though I don't currently have any immediate plans to build a PC, when I do see a graphics card on sale I get hella tempted too. But it's easy to forget that the few bucks you'd save are insignificant compared to the inflated prices of other parts these days. When I was in high school I was so set on saving 400 bucks to get my very first modest gaming PC. Turns out such a budget is only possible if you live in a country like America where you can choose parts with ease and without a ridiculous markup.
Even in the US $400 for a gaming PC is pushing it. I mean, it can be done, but you're mostly going to be playing things like CS: GO, Dota, Rocket League, or older games from previous generations.

$600 is what I would say is a good budget for a low spec PC to play modern games at 1080p. Or it would be if prices ever return to normal.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
You don't need to mask outside. Unless your exercising directly next to people, which I doubt, you're fine. You have a greater chance of getting hit by a car outside.
You'd be surprised how many people exercise outside here. That comes with being stuck in a lockdown for more than a year I guess. Plus mask wearing outside, exercising or no, is mandatory and I don't need my ass getting hauled off to jail and most definitely getting infected.

Even in the US $400 for a gaming PC is pushing it. I mean, it can be done, but you're mostly going to be playing things like CS: GO, Dota, Rocket League, or older games from previous generations.

$600 is what I would say is a good budget for a low spec PC to play modern games at 1080p. Or it would be if prices ever return to normal.
Yeah, the 400 thing was just the naive hopes of a young high school boy. Last year I made it my quarantine goal to scrape together 600 for my first ever gaming PC, but when I started getting quotations from local shops, Jesus Christ. Some rigs cost more than a thousand bucks, without peripherals, for what should be a midrange PC. So even though now I do have the 600 and more, enough for a decent PC even given inflated prices, I refuse to get one on principle. The entire point of my shifting to PC was because it's supposed to be more cost effective, no way am I gonna spend more than I should even if I have the money.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You'd be surprised how many people exercise outside here. That comes with being stuck in a lockdown for more than a year I guess. Plus mask wearing outside, exercising or no, is mandatory and I don't need my ass getting hauled off to jail and most definitely getting infected.
I am glad you're not listening to him. He don't know shit.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Yeah, the 400 thing was just the naive hopes of a young high school boy. Last year I made it my quarantine goal to scrape together 600 for my first ever gaming PC, but when I started getting quotations from local shops, Jesus Christ. Some rigs cost more than a thousand bucks, without peripherals, for what should be a midrange PC. So even though now I do have the 600 and more, enough for a decent PC even given inflated prices, I refuse to get one on principle. The entire point of my shifting to PC was because it's supposed to be more cost effective, no way am I gonna spend more than I should even if I have the money.
$800 - $1300 for a midrange PC is about right depending on what you're planning on doing with it. I built a new PC just after the pandemic hit and it cost me about $1300 (PC only, I already had peripherals).

The price of the parts was a bit inflated, but nowhere near what it currently is. I spent more than I wanted on my power supply, ram, and SSD, but I got a graphics card and CPU at MSRP, though both are previous gen (built just before the current gen parts were announced). If I didn't play games at 1440p I could have built my system cheaper, and if I just wanted to hit 60fps instead of 120fps in most titles I also could have built it cheaper.

But yeah, $1000 isn't outragous for a PC.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I am glad you're not listening to him. He don't know shit.
I've done the research unlike you:

We now know that the few cases of outdoor transmission occurred when people came into very close contact with each other (in some cases touching) for sustained periods of time; or when they mixed indoors as well as outdoors (meaning the time outdoors may not have caused the transmission at all). The risk is especially small in wide open spaces, such as a field or a long beach. The sun’s ultraviolet light also kills most Covid particles that manage to hang around out in the open. This science has become common knowledge after a year of transmission happening almost exclusively indoors.

I haven't worn a mask outside the entire pandemic because it makes no sense. Just like you don't get the flu outside, you don't get covid outside, it's basic science and common sense.