What have you purchased recently?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Something called Toki Tori 2+ for 74 cents.
Had to look that one up.
1683923386717.png
A new motherboard and ram. The other one is an asus and apparently asus motherboards and the 7800x3d chips tend to... catch fire and asplode and it sounds like asus is responsible for most of it so, swapping it out for an msi board.
I started a thread in tech asking about this sort of thing. My understanding is that by default, you have too much voltage on the chip but upgrading the BIOS fixes this. Someone said to do so before putting your CPU in. I'd not even heard this was a thing (upgrade BIOS before putting the CPU in). They should have had a recall and done this for their customers. Shows that especially in tech, brand loyalty is foolish. ASUS used to be my go to for computer products. Now I'm hearing ASRock has greatly improved. Never heard anything bad about MSI.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I started a thread in tech asking about this sort of thing. My understanding is that by default, you have too much voltage on the chip but upgrading the BIOS fixes this. Someone said to do so before putting your CPU in. I'd not even heard this was a thing (upgrade BIOS before putting the CPU in). They should have had a recall and done this for their customers. Shows that especially in tech, brand loyalty is foolish. ASUS used to be my go to for computer products. Now I'm hearing ASRock has greatly improved. Never heard anything bad about MSI.
The problem with the bios update is that asus only has beta for the cpu voltage fix and with them doing a beta bios voids the warranty. Plus, I really don't like their support, I was having issues with the bios recognizing the drive I was putting in and their support was the opposite of helpful, I ended up talking myself through a solution while on the phone with them with no help from them, and the whole thing became moot after I did a fresh OS install on another drive then suddenly my old drive started showing up. Just really weird. It sucks since Asus tends to have the specs I like at the price I like but especially after this, they are going to be on my avoid list. I did hear that AsRock has really improved, the main manufacturers I was looking at was AsRock and MSI, and MSI got it. Wish EVGA still did boards... or did AMD boards, I think they just did intel but I want the 7800x3d.

Reactions: gorfias

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
So the Playstation 5.

first off the thing is massive, I basically had to re-arrange multiple things around it. Also in a first for consoles, the base actually mounts with a screw (probably a good thihng as it elevates it for vents, in both orienations)

Transfer was a little weird cause you couldn't select some games, despite them having a PS5 version they had to go and be downloaded again.

Most of the rest is improvements. One odd thing is what used to be the basic control menu that popped up when you held the PS button now has extra layers and just quitting an app/game takes like 4 extra presses. It was also kind of hard to get up initially because there's a second button just below it that idk what it even does.

Other quibbles, my headphone mic doesn't register plugged into the controller. Also the vaunted discord integration requires you have Discord open on something else and choose "use voice on PS5" from a voicechat. It doesn't have its own Discord app or any direct controls there of (so you also can't mute people or adjust individual volumes and various other features, or share your screen to discord (although in my case I can remote play to an iPAd then share the screen of that if I really need to)

Should note, I did find the discod controls, but they are weirdly situated in the nonsense bar (along with "Challenges" your friends have recently completed and such) above the the other switcher/control bar when you do the PS button.

Oh yeah Adpative Triggers. Don't get the hype. Feels like the controllers stiff/broken more then anything. Then again I've also always been the one who found vibration nothing but annoying/intrusive. Could also be the games I play but yeah, having to "force" the button down feels weird and like I'm damaging my controller so that got turned off pretty quick.

There's also a switch below the PS button that I have no idea what it does.

And oddly the recording feature has a higher framerate then I actually get on my TV while playing the game.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I have been clearing out the old granite outhouse in my back garden. Let me tell you, "built like a brick shithouse" has got nothing on "built like a granite shithouse". It's about 180 years old and other than the roof collapsing it's still very solid. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the concrete block extension, which decided to have half a wall topple over while I was attempting to chainsaw away some plant growth. Luckily it stayed together and didn't break up into blocks and fall on me.

IMG-20230513-WA0001 (2).jpeg

Anyway, I bought a sledgehammer to break it up safely before it falls onto someone. I also bought a chainsaw sharpening file as it turns out that chainsawing plants off an old granite wall is a good way to blunt your chainsaw.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I have been clearing out the old granite outhouse in my back garden. Let me tell you, "built like a brick shithouse" has got nothing on "built like a granite shithouse". It's about 180 years old and other than the roof collapsing it's still very solid. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the concrete block extension, which decided to have half a wall topple over while I was attempting to chainsaw away some plant growth. Luckily it stayed together and didn't break up into blocks and fall on me.

View attachment 8816

Anyway, I bought a sledgehammer to break it up safely before it falls onto someone. I also bought a chainsaw sharpening file as it turns out that chainsawing plants off an old granite wall is a good way to blunt your chainsaw.
I'd just like to take a moment, as an American, to appreciate someone demolishing an "inconvenient" structure that's nearly as old as our country. Here in America, if you've anything standing in you're way that's 180 years old, you must be squatting in a museum, and YOU'RE more likely to be removed than the structure (unless, of course, the structure fondly harbors any Confederate leanings.)

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I'd just like to take a moment, as an American, to appreciate someone demolishing an "inconvenient" structure that's nearly as old as our country. Here in America, if you've anything standing in you're way that's 180 years old, you must be squatting in a museum, and YOU'RE more likely to be removed than the structure (unless, of course, the structure fondly harbors any Confederate leanings.)
I'm not demolishing it, I'm clearing it out, I was just demolishing the unstable concrete wall which was probably mid 20th century. No point buying a garden shed if I can just use the outhouse that will probably last another couple of hundred years. It was filled with the remains of the collapsed roof and, much to my joy, a giant pile of rocks that I imagine were cleared from the garden at some stage. Hopefully the drop has been filled in, I don't fancy plummeting into a 200 year old cesspit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
  • Wakanda Forever on Blu-ray. A Mother's Day gift.
  • A two for one sale on Mother's Day cards.
  • I traded in Alan Wake Remastered and used a few coupons to get Space Invaders Forever.
IMG_20230513_152911108.jpg

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
A new AC cause my portable one I was using in the bedroom in conjunction with my window living room AC crapped out on me in 2 years of use, as I got to learn yesterday. Whatever makes it cool leaked during the winter and now it's useless, and it's not worth fixing cause the last time this kind of AC from the same brand (just a higher BTU) crapped out on me for a different reason the HVAC folk told me it was better to just dump it for a new one, which I did.
I've been trying to swear less these days, but Insignia earns an exception. Fuck you, Insignia, you suck. 2 ACs in 5 years is ridiculous. ONE of them should last that long, if not more.
At least the new one I got is a window one and is already doing a much better job.
Word of advice: If you HAVE to buy anything Insignia brand, make sure it's something they can't possibly screw up. My laptop stand, for example, is Insignia brand and works fantastic, especially for the price I paid. Anything electrical or more complex than some of the most basic stuff you can buy? Don't try it, not worth it, you'll pay twice down the line

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
  • The combined services of a plumber, two electricians and a moving van.
  • A toilet cover.
  • A thingamajig for the bidet.
  • A WiFi extender.
  • A pointless jar for pasta.
  • Something that is either umami or makes food umami-flavored. I don't know what's umami. When I was a kid we were told there were 4 tastes and 9 planets in the galaxy. Then My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas became My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nothing.
  • Fez.
  • The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.
  • Some yerba mate.
  • Five empanadas.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Good old Cornish concrete! I understand that's a particular problem there.
Yes, but that wasn't the issue. I imagine you're thinking of mundic block, which was concrete made with old mining waste so it has a high mineral content which makes it corrode quicker. This was just a case of a single thickness block wall being mid 20th century and having no support. When I tried to drag a branch off the top it failed along a mortar joint about half way up as in the picture. It was backed by an earth/stone bank up to that level so it's probably been quite damp for nigh on 70 years.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Never read or bought a superhero comic before, closest exposure was probably those early noughts videogames when they always had those pages as collectables. But that brutal injustice changes tonight!

PXL_20230522_145252830.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~2.jpg

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Tis the season, so I fuckin' bought one of these goddamn things; should be here this week. I have a feeling it's going to be about as effective as anything "as seen on TV" typically is, but in the war on mosquitoes, I'm willing to try anything. Supposedly, it was created by some guy with a severe allergy to mosquitoes, and uses the precise frequency of UV light that attracts them. If it works at all, all glory and praise to He most high, but my luck, it'll probably just attract them to my general vicinity where they'll feast on ankles like they've done every year since forever.

1684773801960.png

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I have a feeling it's going to be about as effective as anything "as seen on TV" typically is
That quote on a box always bodes well, huh? Definitely let us know if it actually works, cause not every "as seen on TV" thing is a junker. Just what feels like 90% of the time

Reactions: Xprimentyl