What is... The coolest thing you THINK you own?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I have a limited released vinyl with Rise Against and Anti-Flag. Only 100 has ever been printed.

I was soooo proud when I got that one. I also have a few records printed in 5000 and 3000 copies, but that's not as impressive.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
1st edition 1st printing of Terry Brooks' The Sword of Shannara.
Pretty good nick, only minor wear, tears and yellowing. Colour foldout illustration and dust jacket present and intact.

$2.50 from Bookfest, one of the biggest second hand book sales, at least in the southern hemisphere.

I also got a copy of Tim Powers' On Stranger Tides, a lesser known but really good book that I struggled to find prior to that.

A copy of Risk from the seventies apparently before they made all the pieces look like infantry, cavalry and cannons (they're just little triangular shapes for single units and star shapes for groups of 10).

And other stuff, I like to collect rare and interesting things.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
I have this replica House ball that I got for my birthday a couple of years ago.

It is good to play with like House does.

SUPER SUPER SUPER jealous. Also, Greatest .Gif ever.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I baseball bat that once belonged to a Norfolk Tides player (Minor League farm team for the Baltimore Orioles, former farm team for the New York Mets), though I can't remember who he was, that my uncle gave me.

I also have a copy of a blueprint for the final monster in the movie 'Virus' signed by the director and one of the stars along with a Polaroid picture taken on the set (both displayed together in the frame). My uncle had done some work on the set and brought home the blueprint and a handful of Polaroids. I got a photocopy of it and he kept the original.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Well not much:

Meet my WE Tech G39C gbbr. It fires 6 mm plastic bbs at 400 feet a second propelled by a propane/silicone mix called Green Gas. It has blowback for recoil simulation, a functional bolt catch, IdZ stock and top rail, red dot scope, vertical fore grip, and tac light. When it hits you, it hurts, as I've heard from people that I've shot. Disclaimer time: shooting people IS WHAT IT'S FOR! I play airsoft, a sport where being shot with small plastic balls comes with the territory so no foul here.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Robert Marrs said:
The coolest things I own is this handmade native american doll. Its a Navajo doll that my great grandmother gave me.
[http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/Robert_Marrs/media/1901435_700224926686793_323637639_n_zps155d57fa.jpg.html]
Looks like Native American Slenderman to me, which I find amusing. Doesn't it kinda look like it?

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
Well from a sentimental standpoint the coolest thing I own is a banged up old shinai (Bamboo wooden sword) held together by wood glue and duct tape as much as anything else, when I was in highschool me and my best friend would sword fight with those things weekly and we would swing hard enough to give eachother blisters, bruises, and even break a few fingers. On the last day before we both went off to college we had one last sword fight with a crowd of people watching and by the end of it my glasses were broken, I had a huge gash on right arm, he had a black eye, and his sword was shattered into so many pieces we couldn't put it back together again, we saw it as a fitting event for our last day together and while we burned the remains of his sword in the camp fire that night I decided I would keep mine forever as a testament to that day.
A close second is a decorational bokken (Hardwood sword) I bought from a different, much older friend, when he was leaving for college.

From a collectors point of view I have one of the old 80 gigabyte PS3'S capable of playing PS2 titles which was the first console I ever actually bought at store value near when it came out and the first I was able to afford on my own money.

from a functional point of view I have microsofts surface pro tablet which is basically a graphic art tablet with wacom tech that runs windows 8 and functions as a low end laptop on the side, it's become my go-to travel computer as well the thing I do most of my art on now days.

from a 'that's neat' point of view I've got a camera mounted under water capable R.O.V. I built during my freshman year of highschool during a summer program where I got to go to college for a month. I don't really use it all that much but I used to go down to the docks with friends and we would look around at some of the stuff that had accumulated down there, one of the rotors is kinda broken now though so it veers hardcore to the right but still it's kind of neat.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I have a sword of Altair replica, it goes with the costume I also have.

Apart from that I have a few autographs, one from Littlekuriboh and a 'Caboosisms' poster signed by three of the Rooster Teeth crew.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I used to have a ridiculously large comic/manga collection, of about five hundred. I read pretty much all of them. I think I still have it somewhere; and I have nothing to do with the upcoming holiday (paticularly worrying as there is no food and I'm too lazy to get some) so I suppose I can do that... whatever you'd call that.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
Well...just for sheer eclectic novelty's sake? Vintage tank wrench...and by tank, I mean 'roll across the battlefield, crush things, shoot people' tank. This is the sort of thing that TF2's Engineer would smile on, an open-ended wrench that's clearly seen better days, yet still does its job in fixing things and doubles as a convenient way to break things.

In a more pop-culture sense, I have one of the somewhat uncommon Joyride Studios cold-cast Battlemech models, specifically the Dragon's Fury Jupiter. They occasionally pop up for sale on eBay and usually go for far more than I paid for mine. I regret not picking up the Mad Cat or ForestryMech when they were available. Joyride doesn't even acknowledge they exist, which is too bad. I thought it was neat, anyway.

Rogue 9

I, Jedi
Jun 22, 2008
fletch_talon said:
1st edition 1st printing of Terry Brooks' The Sword of Shannara.
Pretty good nick, only minor wear, tears and yellowing. Colour foldout illustration and dust jacket present and intact.

$2.50 from Bookfest, one of the biggest second hand book sales, at least in the southern hemisphere.
Daaaang, of all the items thus far mentioned in this thread, of that I am most envious.

TizzytheTormentor said:
I have a Yu-Gi-Oh card signed by Little Kuriboh (interviewed him with my sister actually at a convention)
When he came to my city's video game and anime convention 3 years ago I trawled through the boxes at my local game shop and dug out a Beaver Warrior and a Celtic Guardian for him to sign. I don't even play Yu-Gi-Oh but they still have pride of place on the back page of my Magic: The Gathering folder, along with an Ancient Mew card from the first Pokemon movie xD

This is a tough call. Since I've started going to conventions over the last few years I've accumulated a decent collection of cool things signed by rad people and of awesome artwork from awesome artists.

Left picture: Jubilee by X-Factor cover artist David Yardin. Right pictures: Jubilee and Legion by TMNT cover artist Jon Sommariva

A Gollum commission my girlfriend got for me for my last birthday from illustrator Doug Holgate.

4 original animation cels from Martian Successor Nadesico framed together, with accompanying original pencil drawings by the animators. Also, since this photo was taken I've managed to get it signed by Spike Spencer who voiced Akito in the English dub.

Other contenders of which I'm lacking photos to hand include my Luke Skywalker ForceFX Lightsaber, my copy of the novel 'The Courtship of Princess Leia' that I got signed by Carrie Fisher and my copy of my favourite novel 'Magician' that I got signed by the author, Raymond E. Feist.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Sgt. Sykes said:
Damn, that's a figurine? At first I thought it's a photoshoped image of SJ. Man, toys have gone a long way since I was a kid.
Sometimes it is frustrating to own this thing because there are other Avenger toys just as good and I can't afford them right now. Those things are freakin' expensive and sometimes I want to have all of them.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
It depends on who you ask. I own a LOT of awesome stuff.

Lord of the Rings fan: I own Arwen's sword Hadafang and Leagolas' knives.

Video Games: I own a copy of Suikoden II, complete with booklet, case, and everything else.

Figures: I own the Square Enix Sculpture Arts of Aeris praying for Holy to work.

Bronies: I don't even know where to start...either this little figure of Minuette/Coglate as a human, this giant banner from season 1, or maybe one of the hand-made plushies I own.

What I think: Hm...I have this massive two-handed claymore. It's a replica blade from the first Highlander movie, and it's pretty neat. That one always seems to impress the most when I show people all my swords.
I have tried to find Hadafang for ages but I have been unable to find it at a price I would pay as the best I found was £600, the worst was £950.

I do however have Glamdring and Sting.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
I just have an empire of cool shit.
Ancestral short sword, pieces of the Berlin wall, pretty damn solid game collection, a fairly massive geeky as hell library, my badass Jeep...

Honestly, I don't spend money on anything unless it's basically the best/coolest version of whatever it is.
I will skip 1000 "decent" versions of something waiting for a truly great version...and then I will own the fuck out of that great one.
A great example is not having any MegaMan action figures my whole life despite opportunities and desire to have some because I wasn't satisfied with the sculpts and/or engineering. Then the D-Arts MegaMan series came out....and I own literally all of them...because they're god damn amazing.

So yea, basically I just have tons of cool stuff.

But honestly I don't really care about stuff. I more just own stuff because I CAN, and it's a way to get the stuff that my mind is filled with into the physical world where I can see it.

My coolest thing....
Uh....
My PC?

I obviously don't -own- them by any means, but the coolest things I have are my closest friends. They're pretty much the only thing that really means anything to me.
*shrug*

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Hmm. Well I've got some cool autographed things. (Adam West as Batman, YES!) Maybe the coolest and rarest entertainment related thing I've got though is a presskit for Army of Darkness, which I bought from always controversial B-film reviewer Joe Bob Briggs on ebay. I've also got a 43 year old German lobby card depicting one of my favorite scenes in Escape from the Planet of the Apes.

64bitgamer

Oct 29, 2009
WWmelb said:
64bitgamer said:
Well I have a copy of the New York Times from the day after we landed on the moon. It's not in super great shape or anything. It's over forty years old so the paper is yellowed, but the news print is all in one piece and readable. I have a piece of cardboard in the center to maintain the fold, and its in a piece of plastic wrap for protection. One of these days, I want to get it framed, I'm just not entirely sure if I need to cut out the first page, or if its really possible to put the whole thing on display.
I'm a picture framer, and it is indeed possible to put the whole thing on display, however, depending on how you go about it, can be DAMN expensive to do so.

Only thing i would make sure as a must when you frame it is to use conservation grade (at a minimum) glass, which will protect it from 99.9% of UV light, and keep it pristine for a good length of time.. decades.

Do NOT cut out the first page. Keep it intact. If you don't want to be leafed through at all, it is possible to seal the entire paper between two pieces of high quality glass, keeping it nice and flat as well as protected. Make sure if you do this though that the glass is coated first with an acid free laminate that won't absorb ink, may take some time finding it, or else one day you may need to replace the glass for some reason and it will have eaten all of the ink off the paper when you take it off.

I would check with a local framer or a local museum on the best way for to preserve your piece of history. I haven't personally worked with old newspaper myself, so i'm just listing things off that occur to me could cause issues.

But yeah, be careful keeping it in plastic wrap, as if any moisture gets in, that is going to cook it and kill it.

On topic...

Coolest thing i own..

1972 Custom built fender telecaster probably takes the cake.

Although i do love my Songbird statue...
Thank you so much for the advise! I had been worried about the proper way to preserve it. I know a framer nearby that has "Museum Quality" glass, so I'll make to to ask if that's a marketing term, or if its actually blocking out the UV light. Something like acid free laminate is a term I haven't even heard of before.