What is your favorite console controller of all time?

Daniel Cygnus

Jan 19, 2009
It used to be the Dualshock, but the 360 wireless controller just passed it up there. With the exception of the D-Pad, it has a completely perfect design.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Horticulture said:
"The Duke"

Large-handed gamers everywhere mourn its passing. And you could use it to bludgeon your friends when they beat you in Soul Calibur 2.
I remember I couldnt even reach some of the buttons :p

Mine would be... Mouse and keyobard!

odanhammer

Oct 11, 2009
Think it was a madcatz controller , but i recall it was red/black and for the n64 , had a small fan on the back to keep your hands cool while you play. It was the greatest controller ever, and fit my hands like a glove. Very close runner up is the current xbox 360 controller.
I don't even mind the wired 360 controllers as the cable is extra long and if someone does trip or pull it accidently , the cable has a break a way point so it doesn't damage anything.

Worst would have to be the gamecube controller, never felt right.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
Mouse and keyboard. Sorry, but no controller has ever even come close. Mouse and keyboard always wins.
I suppose for a runner up would be the Xbox 360 controller. I never understood why people liked the craptastic Sony dualshock so much anyway. It was never comfortable to hold.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
The wiimote is pretty comfortable (when you don't have the wiicondom on it) and the playstation controllers I have always loved.

360 controller is way too big for my tastes it just gets cumbersome.

Sep 14, 2009
Craftybonds said:
Mine would undoubtedly go to the spice orange, wired GameCube controller.

On top of being the only orange, name-brand controller that i have ever owned (with orange being my favorite color), the controller design of all of the gamecube controllers was absolutely perfect, with their only flaw being that they were wired, and possibly that there wasn't a 4th shoulder button, but that one is debatable.

The wings of the controller fit naturally into your hand, and i never once felt cramped while using those controllers during the entire lifespan of the gamecube. add on top of that the wonderful button lay out: one single gigantic A button, with three smaller buttons positioned around it, almost making it feel like another joystick. the shoulder had these nice little grooves, so that your fingers stayed positioned on them at all times; mixed with a simply fantastic pressure button, that lead to a satisfying click every time that you needed full power for something. i love absolutely everything about these controllers; hell, they didn't even mess up the d-pad.

Second place would probably go to the wireless 360 controllers, and third would go to the SNES super pad (seriously, those round buttons were a god send after dealing with the grooved buttons of the NES and early SNES controllers.

No credit for sony here though. while making what is easily the most easy 4-button combination to remember in existence (square, x, circle, and triangle), the idea of having two joysticks in the middle is a truly terrible one. cramped hands and all that jazz.

i would like to back you up on the sony part, the dual joysticks are bad placements, i have tons of gamer friends and we all agree the 360 controller is 100% more natural than the ps3/ps2 controller, the triggers are convex instead of being concave, bad for your fingers (hell look at ps3, they have you buy "triggers" now to add on to your controller becuz they realized they had a bad design and they want to be like 360, and everytime i go to the store all the offbrand ps3 controllers look exactly like a 360 controller, oh another thing that is convex but should be concave is the joysticks, the 360 joysticks fit way better for a thumb movement, while its easier to have your thumb slip off the ps3 joysticks. the whole hand mold fits way way better for the 360, when you hold your hands out without moving them, they mold perfectly to a 360 controller while a ps3 one you have to angle your midle fingers and pointers to be able to use the joysticks correctly

done with rant =]

p.s. gamecube does have the 2nd best controller imo, that controller was PERFECT for super smash brawl/melee

The_Healer said:
Playstation Dual Shock!

Seriously, I've been playing with one for 3 generations of console and not been annoyed with it yet.

And you are obviously just not skilled, the two joysticks never bothered me.
^^^ see above

mip0

Nov 25, 2009
The PS1/2/3 controller. But I think the grips could be improved, they're a bit too small and aren't pointing in the, for me, ultimate angle.

Rararaz

Feb 20, 2010
Despite [b/] wanting [/b] to say the GC contoller or the PS contoller I just can't. It has to be the 360. i think that it is obvious who put the most research into what worked and didn't.

I have a suspicion that due to patents and the market Sony cannot afford to change or properly update their controllers. People would get angry as it is such a gaming icon and it is arguably what makes a PlayStation a PlayStation.

^=ash=^

Sep 23, 2009
Mouse & Keyboard

but a close second to the black wireless 360 controller, its nice to be using something so sturdy .. thats the main reason i dont like the wireless ps3 controller... feels like im gonna break it

NuclearPenguin

Oct 29, 2009

Ok, not really. Mine would have to be the..
female mouse Damnit! Bad Penguin!
The 360 controller. Its comfortable and easy to use.
But I have some issues with it.
1. The battery pack seems to be falling off of my friends controllers all the time (Doesnt happen with mine, and im clumsy)
2. Again, my friends controller had its B button fuck off
3. The joysticks feel low quality and get easily worn down
4. Chargable Battery Packs cost the same amount as a PS3 controller
5. My XBOX button gets stuck.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
PS3 I guess. The PS2 controller was great, but the back triggers would start sticking with age.
Though controllers aren't exactly something thats very important to me.

WakeTheDead1

Jan 27, 2010
Best was the Gamecube official controller, was the comfiest controller ever, but i loved the Z button on the back of the N64 controller, i never owned one but the first xbox controller was huge i hated it

cptawesome

Nov 2, 2009
Definitely the wireless 360 pad, especially in black. Although, the d-pad is so horrible that it makes me want to tear my hair out.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
The original controller to start them all

Next would be a tie between the Sony Dualshock and the 360 controller.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I dunno weather it's because I have weird hands, I'm told frequently that I do,
when I try to use my fellow gamers PC macro setups on games like WoW I can't use them for shit... Due to various fingers either reaching short or over stepping various keys.

But...

The Game cube controller... It always felt so natural in my hands, even the very comfortable PS2 wasn't nearly as well handled by me. I miss using it except when I feel nostalgic enough to pop a GC game into the Wii.