What is your favorite console controller of all time?

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
X-Box controller, it fits so naturally in my hands, like it was made just for me...

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
The_Healer said:
manaman said:
I had a PS1 right around summer of 96'... Gezz that's been a while, got a PS2 about a year and half after they launched and I just got my second PS3 (first one tried its best to catch the living room on fire. Still prefer the 360 controller.

You can admit anytime that controller preference might have more to do with personal tastes and the way a persons body is shaped, and not a slight on your hardware of choice. Cause the way you make it sound in your initial post was that the controller was supreme and anyone that says different is just not good enough for it.
It is supreme! You read right my good friend! Nothing that says different will change... My Opinion
LA GASP!! I should have known, struck down in my prime!

Still you gotta admit that some people are just going to be different. After all some people don't like pineapple on pizza, and some real weirdos like anchovies on it.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
The playstation controller - the only controller that I can use without thinking about were the buttons are placed, it just feels natural for me to use.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
PS Dualshock controller, over all design, introduced 2 analogue sticks. Fits perfectly in my hand.

Snes controller, much needed improvement back them. 4 buttons were brilliant back then.

N64 controller (preferable to Snes, but the damn analogue sticks always broke, making them a pain to use (and an unfair disadvantage in GoldenEye ;P))

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
From a design stand point: Easily the Dual Shock in it's various forms. Around for fourteen or so years with only minor revisions. It works ergonomically and it has good brand recognition. To measure it's sucess as a design you only have to look at how other manufacturers change the layout completely every generation, sometime more than once per generation.

If their designs are so great why do they need to be binned every five years? More pertinently, two sticks, four shoulder button, face button, d-pad has become the standard controller layout, even Nintendo use it with the Wii Classic Pro. Although where the sticks go seems up for debate, it doesn't make a huge practical difference. Sony got it abnormally right with the Dual shock, although big handed mooks like me do have to learn to hold it properly or you get achy fingers.

From a usage perspective: Wavebird. Pick up a 360 wireless controller and there's a lot of shaping cues going on from the Wavebird, which is a good thing. Nice shape for your hands, one of the first practical (and reliable) wireless controllers. I pick it over the 360 because I preferred the Cube's button layout, the big green mash-matic A button was a winner. Although the Z placement was daft.
Close second is the 360 wireless, it's profile is pretty similar to a Wavebird, but the button layout is more normal (also it has a more stylish visual design, in as far as a console controller can be stylish). I prefer the four shoulder buttons, but don't like the face buttons and d-pad as much.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
The_Healer said:
Playstation Dual Shock!

Seriously, I've been playing with one for 3 generations of console and not been annoyed with it yet.

And you are obviously just not skilled, the two joysticks never bothered me.
Same here, just seems to be the perfect shape and size.

Trebort

Duke of Cheesecake
Feb 25, 2010
The Xbox360 controller is my fave, but my old Megadrive controller holds a special place in my heart. I loved those A, B, C buttons :)

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
I think my favourite would be the Gamecube, either wired or wireless, followed by the Xbox 360 controller.

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
manaman said:
The_Healer said:
manaman said:
I had a PS1 right around summer of 96'... Gezz that's been a while, got a PS2 about a year and half after they launched and I just got my second PS3 (first one tried its best to catch the living room on fire. Still prefer the 360 controller.

You can admit anytime that controller preference might have more to do with personal tastes and the way a persons body is shaped, and not a slight on your hardware of choice. Cause the way you make it sound in your initial post was that the controller was supreme and anyone that says different is just not good enough for it.
It is supreme! You read right my good friend! Nothing that says different will change... My Opinion
LA GASP!! I should have known, struck down in my prime!

Still you gotta admit that some people are just going to be different. After all some people don't like pineapple on pizza, and some real weirdos like anchovies on it.
Ewwwwww Anchovies!

Ahem... yes I know that people are going to be different.

Seriously though, anchovies are disgusting.

Layz92

May 4, 2009
The SEGA Dreamcast control all the way, that was some sexy tech.

However if I was being serious I would join the Play Station Duel Shock chorus. Xbox 360 would come second cos I really dislike the long draw on their triggers. I also prefer the thumbsticks being next to each other.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Basic Gamecube controller did it for me, it's not perfect but in the end it is the most comfortable out of all.

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
Mines a toss up between the 360 controller and the N64 controller, the 360 one is comfortable and such but I liked the N64's analogue stick better and the swapping the cartridge for rumble and memory etc.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
The Xbox 360 controller, it is just so comfortable compared to my PS3 and PS2 controllers, you can play for hours without ruining your hands for a million years.