What would you give to an alien?

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
So, I was listening to the Rooster Teeth Podcast earlier today and they were talking about the Voyager satellite. Voyager is travelling out of the solar system (I believe its currently at Pluto) to explore outside the galaxy.

On Voyager, there is a collection of pictures, sounds and other things that could describe humanity to any alien being that could intercept Voyager. My question is, what would you put onto Voyager? What represents humanity to you? Be as cynical or as wacky as you want!

My choice, it's too good an opportunity to miss...

We could rickroll entire galaxies at a time! Sure it will probably lead to Earth getting wiped out by a collection of pissed off alien races but I defy anyone to not be tempted by that idea!

What are your suggestions?

Dec 14, 2009
Hookman said:
So, I was listening to the Rooster Teeth Podcast earlier today and they were talking about the Voyager satellite. Voyager is travelling out of the solar system (I believe its currently at Pluto) to explore outside the galaxy.

On Voyager, there is a collection of pictures, sounds and other things that could describe humanity to any alien being that could intercept Voyager. My question is, what would you put onto Voyager? What represents humanity to you? Be as cynical or as wacky as you want!

My choice, it's too good an opportunity to miss...

We could rickroll entire galaxies at a time! Sure it will probably lead to Earth getting wiped out by a collection of pissed off alien races but I defy anyone to not be tempted by that idea!

What are your suggestions?
How would the aliens know they were being rickrolled?

OT:

The dinosaurs must never be forgotten.

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
I never said they had to understand it. It'll be like a private joke that the whole of mankind can share!

Dec 14, 2009
Hookman said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I never said they had to understand it. It'll be like a private joke that the whole of mankind can share!
Then they'll all be like, 'Why are the humans laughing?' And we'll all be like, 'fucking stupid aliens, got fucking rickrolled, fuckin' noobs.'

And then the giant doom lasers hit...

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
If they were "Come in peace" aliens? I'd punch them square in the face. Then explain that's how we greet people on Earth!

Oh, the laughs we will have...

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Hookman said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Then they'll all be like, 'Why are the humans laughing?' And we'll all be like, 'fucking stupid aliens, got fucking rickrolled, fuckin' noobs.'

... And it'll be totally worth it!

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
A loop of great Hollywood movies, to show the high and lows of humanity. Probably leave out the war films though...

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
I would give them a Bible and tell them it's a history book.

Either they'd believe every word of it or they wouldn't.

In either case they'd probably run screaming in the other direction.

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

OT:

As much as I love SMBC, and that comic in particular, why have you taken to posting it everywhere recently??? >.>

OT: I'd probably send them a bomb. That'll teach them to go touching our satellites. Or some beer. Just in case they haven't discovered alcohol yet. (Single handedly ruin their civilisation??? yes please)

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Hookman said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Kind of an ironic gesture, given the lyrics of the song.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
TheBobmus said:
A loop of great Hollywood movies, to show the high and lows of humanity. Probably leave out the war films though...
Yeah, but then they'll probably just tap into the internet, download everything and go all fifth element on our asses. That or try and discover the root of our strange infatuation with ponies.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The Night Angel said:
Daystar Clarion said:

OT:

As much as I love SMBC, and that comic in particular, why have you taken to posting it everywhere recently??? >.>

OT: I'd probably send them a bomb. That'll teach them to go touching our satellites. Or some beer. Just in case they haven't discovered alcohol yet. (Single handedly ruin their civilisation??? yes please)
Beer? ***** please, when you wanna ruin entire civilizations it has to be Irish Whiskey.

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
Beer? ***** please, when you wanna ruin entire civilizations it has to be Irish Whiskey.

Actually, I'm Irish, and I have to say, the Scots are better than us at the whiskey making business. Though I suppose really, we should just send them a selection of beverages and let them try for themselves.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
A list of jokes. He'd never understand the humor, so he'd think we're all just idiots, underestimate us, then we use that to utterly overwhelm his invasion force.

But if we're talking about actual efforts at peace, I'd go with a light bulb fixture. A simple button press to turn on and off. Provides light, warmth, and insight into our use of technology. Not too dim, not too bright, packaged in a way that it wouldn't break before they could turn it on. The only species who would find it offensive are light-sensitive ones, and I doubt a species that's light sensitive would make good space travelers.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
Give them a copy of independence day and other such movies, that way they'll think that we've beaten off past alien invasions and know not to screw with us.

EDIT: I realized I was beaten to it.