What's the last game you bought with no prior series experience?

Auxiliary

Feb 20, 2011
I recently bought Starcraft 2 without ever having played the previous one. But can't go wrong with Blizzard eh? I gave em the best few years of my life already, so what does the rest matter :-(

Manchubot

Sep 9, 2010
Mine was very recently actually/ Last Tuesday I bought Ar Tonellico Qoga and never played the first 2.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
uh, 2

one is PlaneScape: Torment and the other one was GunMetal for PC

I thought the cover was cool

InfiniteJacuzzi

Mar 13, 2011
Dryaxx said:
ReturnPostage said:
FF13 last year, what a boring game. I'm done with turn-based RPG's.
FFXIII ... Turnbased.... I lold
Ummm... staggered turn-based? My party was standing around, doing nothing during fights, and all actions during combat were determined through menus. I'm not sure what you'd call it.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I bought Battlefield 2 on a whim last month, and I enjoyed it so much that I bought the complete Battlefield 1942 collection about a week later. That may not count, though, because I played 1942 for a few hours once when it was still new. If it doesn't count, I'm not sure, because I've bought so many new games in the last year, very few of them in series I had prior experience with. If Christmas gifts count, it would probably be a tie between Sins of a Solar Empire and Galactic Civilizations II, both of which were excellent. If not, there are quite a few other games that I bought around the same time, but the only new IPs out of the bunch that I've gotten around to playing would be Left 4 Dead, Deus Ex, and Bushido Blade. I really liked the first one and the last one on that list, but Deus Ex was not what I was expecting. I can see why people like it, but I have yet to really get into it.

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
fallout 3
mass effect 2
fable 2
modern warfare 2

not necessarily my most recent ones, but my most memorable ones

although i'd had no previous experience of these series i wouldn't say i'd taken a risk in buying them
even if you've never played them or seen them being played, it's still quite well known that all of them are quite good (you may personally disagree with that, but the general consensus when i was checking for reviews were positive)

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
About this time last year I bought mass effect 2. Thought it was amazing so I bought the first one and I'm now a "walking codex":

jacx

Feb 20, 2010
oblivion, wolfinstein, guitar hero 3, call of duty : the big red one, and i have money down on crysis 2

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
Hmmm... of the top of my head I can say X3:Reunion (I never played X or X2).
I actually bought it by accident because I thought it was a different game. You know that situation "OH! It's THE GAME I read about 2 years ago, oh and it's 5$ hell yeah I'll buy it!". Than you go home, install it and your mind goes "wait... this is not how it looked like on the review".

X3 is actually one of my favourite games of all time now :3. Although I'm pretty sure there were other games that I bought/borrowed that were a part of some bigger franchise but I just didn't notice/realise it.

ps.
teh_Canape said:
uh, 2

one is PlaneScape: Torment and the other one was GunMetal for PC

I thought the cover was cool

GUNMETAL IS AWESOME!

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
For my brother, that would be Fallout 3 about a month ago. I haven't even started yet.

For me, BlazBlue CS however several months ago. I'm completely hooked. I changed my main from Ragna to Lambda, and I play Hakumen and Bang on the side just for kicks. My Ragna is becoming crappier with each passing week.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Probably Mass Effect 2. Never played the first. Though I did play the demo, whihc I suppose counts as experiance so maybe that doesn't count. I also just re-bought Soul Reaver. Never have played any of the others in the series though.

Oh and I also bought Jak 2 with no experiance of the first game. It just looked awesome.

headphonegirl

The Troll under the bridge
Oct 19, 2009
Dragon age, and i've preordered the 3rd birthday , never played either series and before and i'm enjoying Dragonage so far.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
Iconsting said:
Half-Life 2. Never got to see or play Half-Life.
I played the sequel far before the original too. The first one is a great game, but don't be fooled by those think the first is far better than the second. It isn't; the sequel improves in every category. One thing die-hard Half-Life 1 fans say is the first game's AI is much better than the second, and that's completely untrue. I don't even know how that comparison started. The sequel's is more advanced in every category XP.

I think the last game I played without prior knowledge would be... Red Steel 2 or Dead Space, can't remember which. Red Steel 2 is a sequel, but I never played the first (plus, it has nothing to do with the original). I'm sure I'm forgetting my actual most recent, but I can't remember.

ranyilliams

Dec 26, 2008
Leemaster777 said:
As we all know, the gaming industry anymore is basically BUILT on sequels anymore.
That sentence hurt my brain o_O
also i think that i got uncharted 2 without playing uncharted one. that is all.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Total War: Shogun 2.
Though I knew a lot about the games and had seen people play them, but just never really played them myself.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Okay, before I start, I really think a lot of people need reading lessons around here, it's starting to concern me and I've been seeing more of it. Please read posts properly and more than just the headline of an article before rushing for a reply...

ANYWAYS!

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift

It only had one previous game, sure, but in general I've never been great with Japanese fighters or fighting games in general (I've been a casual Street Fighter fan since I was young, but I was never exactly an expert) I'm more of a Mortal Kombat person, but decided to take a gamble when I kept hearing some things about it and saw it cheap.

I was really surprised with how much I enjoyed it and surprisingly, was pretty decent at playing it. So much that I went and bought the first game two days later for the same price. I'm playing that at the moment for Story reasons mainly before going back to the sequel, despite it not being quite as good. I'm glad I got the second because it's much more newcomer friendly with the tutorials and such. They helped greatly, I've been recommending it to people.

I always tend to try and play things in series order. I enjoy things a lot more that way and if I don't I feel like I'm missing out on something. Plus if I decide to go backwards I may feel underwhelmed and spoiled.