What's the most boring game you've aver played?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I get this is a subjective measure of things, but even saying that...this being the escapist, I came in here expecting to see a topic dominated by popular triple A titles, and you guys delivered.

A lot of your 'this is boring' seem to be dependent on replay value too, weirdly. Something is boring if its only fun once? And while I dont mean that people specifically have said no replay value, but a lot of people have said how they played major title x for y hours, and just felt like it was repetitive or stale etc etc.

Personally Im going to have to be a little bit inconsistent and say my most boring game was EVE.

That said, Im not going to lay shit on it. The world is vast an interesting, the potential is amazing and the players make it a theoretically captivating place. But in practice, I dont have the mindset to be entertained by pvp when its so costly (I'd probably rage quit after my first gank cost me all my best stuff. And yes I know 'Dont pilot it unless you can afford to lose it', but this sort of ties in to my point, I dont have the mindset to want to play a game with not my best stuff.) and I've found in mmo's that I just dont engage well with the large scale guilds/corporations which are a key point to progress after a point. Im just not social enough I guess.

So to me personally, EVE was a boring title, though I accept the fault was largely me not being the target audience.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Most people will think I'm trying to be edgy or whatever....but that prize would have to go to Modern Warfare 2.

The campaign was so ridiculous, with plot holes you could drive a tank though, that I couldn't disengage fast enough. I never even finished the campaign.

Multiplayer? Fun for about 10 minutes until you realize that that one person who plays CoD for hours a day every day is going to dominate you with overpowered killstreak abilities and there's nothing you can do about it.

Haven't played a CoD game since.

And before you say, "Well CoD just isn't for you" I should say that I LOVED CoD4's campaign; it was one of the greatest single player experiences I've ever had.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
Vlado said:
Gone Home was a waste of 3 hours.
I hear a lot about Gone Home, would you compare it to a Visual Novel or is it legit just a walkaround simulator with pretty lights? I feel like I should at least check this out whenever it goes on sale because there's so much shitposting discussion around it. I did play Machine for Pigs though which I think was done by the same guys. It was pretty scary until I realised there is literally nothing backing up the spooky noises.
As a somewhat controversial opinion I quite enjoyed Gone Home. But its not really so much a game as a story being told. You can't go into it with the same mentality really; you just walk around, solve a few very simple "puzzles" (which aren't really puzzles honestly its just basically working out how to get around the house) and pick up the story as you go.

I enjoyed the experience enough, but its not strictly a "game". All it is is you walking around a house trying to figure out where the hell your family disappeared to.

On topic: hard question. Some people already mentioned some of my top candidates though. Definitely add another tick to the GTA4 column for me...that thing just bored me out of my mind. I outright stopped playing and never went back to it. Not deliberately, just because I really couldn't care less about carrying on.

How about Borderlands? I played that for a solid 6 hours trying to see what anyone saw in the game but I just...well I never "got" it. Uninspiring environments, copy pasted bullet sponge enemies, lack of variety in weapons despite the fact that all of them were unique with different stats and a story I just couldn't care about in the slightest.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I confess to the world something that will bring a certain set of red-robed fellows to my door, but Half -Life 2 and Halo.
I tried to play HL2, but very shortly just grew utterly bored to the point I had to put it down. I have no desire to pick it back up either. Same thing for all Source Engine games, quite bland they are.

I tried twice to get through Halo 1, picking up where I left off the first time. Again boredom set in and I put the game down for good. I don't know what exactly it is, but it just feels so lackluster. I remember playing a friend's copy of another Halo game, and after a while the same feeling arrived on schedule.

It is odd considering just how many hours I've spent running and gunning through Doom 2 and how many hours have been poured in Payday 2 here recently.

Ridash

Jan 29, 2015
demoman_chaos said:
I confess to the world something that will bring a certain set of red-robed fellows to my door, but Half -Life 2 and Halo.
I tried to play HL2, but very shortly just grew utterly bored to the point I had to put it down. I have no desire to pick it back up either. Same thing for all Source Engine games, quite bland they are.

I tried twice to get through Halo 1, picking up where I left off the first time. Again boredom set in and I put the game down for good. I don't know what exactly it is, but it just feels so lackluster. I remember playing a friend's copy of another Halo game, and after a while the same feeling arrived on schedule.

It is odd considering just how many hours I've spent running and gunning through Doom 2 and how many hours have been poured in Payday 2 here recently.
Well, it's all about personal preference. I, for an example, hate DayZ, while many people put hundreds of hours into it.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
WoW was the most boring game ever. I lasted about 6 weeks and for the last 2 weeks i rarely played it. I only lasted that long because i forgot to cancel after the free month and got charged a months fee.

ObserverStatus

Aug 27, 2014
Warframe. It seemed like they tried to make it interesting, it was colorful and energetic, but the story was unengaging, the levels were dull and all looked the same, and the free to wait system of microtransactions was really grating.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Final Fantasy XIII takes that cake.
Blame the automatic battles and straight up hallway simulating. Never got pass the 5 hour mark.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
Breakdown said:
GTA 4, the first few missions seemed to be just driving people around a small, dark, depressing section of Liberty City. I decided to give up when I got sent on a mission to a clothes shop to pick up an exciting new brown jumper in order to take some woman to a bowling alley.
I love all the GTA's except 4. I vowed to finish it, but it took 3 years and 4 tries to complete it. The story was boring, the missions were boring, and they somehow even made the sandbox boring. They made up for it with 5 though.

Ridash

Jan 29, 2015
deathmothon said:
Breakdown said:
GTA 4, the first few missions seemed to be just driving people around a small, dark, depressing section of Liberty City. I decided to give up when I got sent on a mission to a clothes shop to pick up an exciting new brown jumper in order to take some woman to a bowling alley.
I love all the GTA's except 4. I vowed to finish it, but it took 3 years and 4 tries to complete it. The story was boring, the missions were boring, and they somehow even made the sandbox boring. They made up for it with 5 though.
I liked everything in it except the city. It hasn't felt like a true sandbox like San Andreas.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
remnant_phoenix said:
Most people will think I'm trying to be edgy or whatever....but that prize would have to go to Modern Warfare 2.

The campaign was so ridiculous, with plot holes you could drive a tank though, that I couldn't disengage fast enough. I never even finished the campaign.

Multiplayer? Fun for about 10 minutes until you realize that that one person who plays CoD for hours a day every day is going to dominate you with overpowered killstreak abilities and there's nothing you can do about it.

And before you say, "Well CoD just isn't for you" I should say that I LOVED CoD4's campaign; it was one of the greatest single player experiences I've ever had.
I was the exact same way. Well I finished the campaign and it took me far too long to realize that the multiplayer was an unbalanced killstreak-fest. But it completely ruined the CoD experience for me. I thought for good, but my roommate picked up CoD:AW and I was surprised I could finally get back into it. The future setting makes all the over the top stuff seem JUST plausible enough that I don't shut down.

Did you ever play Homefront? I couldn't even make it 10 minutes into that game before I just said "nope" and turned it off.

thoughtwrangler

Sep 29, 2014
Star Ocean: Second Story

Yeah, yeah, I know it's well-loved and at the very least well-put-together. The bee's knees, the armodillo's armpits, and any other odd euphemism for an erogenous zone you can toss out there.

But boring is subjective and that game did nothing for me. Couldn't stay awake, which is odd because I usually like action-based battle systems.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
Ridash said:
deathmothon said:
Breakdown said:
I liked everything in it except the city. It hasn't felt like a true sandbox like San Andreas.
You liked EVERYTHING? "Hey Niko, let's go bowling!" Every 5 minutes drove me crazy.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Most recently destiny. What a snooze fest I am still convinced the only reason people are still playing it is just lack of choices. Its one of the only multiplayer games on ps4/xbone. The new yoshi island for 3ds was equally boring and twice as disappointing.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
deathmothon said:
remnant_phoenix said:

I was the exact same way. Well I finished the campaign and it took me far too long to realize that the multiplayer was an unbalanced killstreak-fest. But it completely ruined the CoD experience for me. I thought for good, but my roommate picked up CoD:AW and I was surprised I could finally get back into it. The future setting makes all the over the top stuff seem JUST plausible enough that I don't shut down.

Did you ever play Homefront? I couldn't even make it 10 minutes into that game before I just said "nope" and turned it off.
The trailer showing the invasion the U.S. was enough for me to say "nope."

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Signa said:
Every time I play a modern military shooter, I'm just plain bored. The game has all the right parts to be awesome, but it feels so mind-numbing. Ugh.
MMS are just handholding: the game. Can't disagree though.

James Elmash

Jan 6, 2014
I think this may be controversial, but Cthulhu saves the world. It was just dull and repetitive. Also Penumbra overture, same reasons.
Not sure if it counts, but the demo for amnesia the dark descent bored the hell out of me. Nothing really happening, and repetitive

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
-A Valley Without Wind-

It's a 2D "Metroidvania" wannabe with procedurally generated maps (a LOT of procedurally generated maps in just one world; Minecraft's Voxel system has nothing on the sheer zone-mapping generation this game has).

I like wanderlust-esque games, but this one just hammered home the sheer banality of a game without ANY real structure.

You're supposed to be wandering a post-apocalyptic world where past present and future had an ugly crash.
You search for the last shreds of humanity in extremely hostile environments (where even "the wind" will drive you mad; ultimately killing you)...some pretty great concepts really.

Only, I never once really felt like I was doing anything but farting around vast swaths of randomly generated crap.
(and the combat was utter crap; think "Really shitty Super Metroid" and you've got it)

After seeing the 1000th variation of "improbably large house with a bajillion shelves", even the random elements became far too samey and repetitive. Sure, everything is randomized with a few linear mechanics for progression, but there's little rhyme or reason to it all; it's like turning on an analog TV without a signal; a chaotic swirl of burn-in-preventing white noise that all looks the same when you take it all in.

It made me appreciate games like Super Metroid more; where the environments are specifically crafted and weave together, but aren't so uniform that it goes the extreme opposite direction and makes the game into an inescapable plot-hallway (FF13...shit, I should have went with that one!)