What's the most boring game you've aver played?

Ravenier

Dec 16, 2014
Viscera Cleanup Detail.

It is beyond me why people think taking a boring monotonous task in real life and planting it into a game would make it less of a boring, monotonous task. The comments of the player character may make the game amusing for roughly five minutes (and that is a generous estimation), but beyond that, you really just pray for the game to be over soon.

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
I guess Skyrim, I just don't find it very interesting or fun, in fact I would usually listen to a podcast while playing it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Animal Crossing.

I can sum it up by these steps-

1. Wake up.
2. Check mails.
3. Shake every single trees for fruits and potiental items or bells.
4. Take the stack of fruits to the seller.
5. Look at the ground for the fossils
6. Take the fossils to the owl for ID.
7. Sell any unwanted fossil and item to the racoon.
8. Sell your bells to the racoon to paid off your debt.
9. (Optional) Hunt and fish for new animals for your collection and do the fetch quest with the NPC.

Seriously that all you do everyday and at the most, this last for TWO hours! After that there is no real progress in the game since it has to reset for tomorrow (can't gather any more fruits) thus making the boring routine even more borings! I mean games like Dark Soul and Borderlands can laster up to more than mere two hours!

In saying so, despite what I had comment on the game, it is strangly still addicted for me!

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Dishonored and Fallout: New Vegas for me.

I got bored with both of them pretty quickly, and I have yet to finish either of them. New Vegas I will probably have to restart and redo my character since I'm not really happy with how it turned out. And Dishonored I will have to restart since I have no idea where I am in the game or what I'm doing.

I mean, the latter had a cool world and the aesthetics were neat, but I just stopped caring and got bored with everything after a couple of hours.

I may go back to them at some point, but not for a while.
Dishonored's up there with Shovel Knight as one of the best games to come out in like 7 years (since Portal).

I played through it 3 times back to back.

The number of games I'll replay with any sort of frequency is SUPER tiny. The number I'd replay multiple consecutive times I could probably count on one hand.

If you bored and quit at the VEEEERY beginning, I can understand. But that part's short, and as soon as it gets going, it's awesome.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Well, I haven't finished Assassin's Creed because I found it kinda boring.
Skip Assassin's Creed 1.
It's not a game, just a pretty looking game world they didn't have the time/money to put a real game into.

Play Assassin's Creed 2(followed by Brotherhood) and AC4:Black Flag.
They're roughly a 100,000% improvement over the original Assassin's Creed.

Unrefined controls aside, AC2 is STILL the absolute best in the series, and kind of a masterpiece.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
regalphantom said:
The most boring "game" I can think of is an indie game I got in one of the few Humble Bundles I bought (Proteus I think?). Basically, it was a brightly coloured pre-gen world and... thats it. You explore it, but there's not really anything to find there. I generally consider it a complete waste of my time.

As for something that is less questionably calling itself a game, I would say either Minecraft or Assassin's Creed 1. Minecraft is more or less a symptom of me not liking directionless sandboxes. I usually just end up getting bored, and I tend address my creative desires in the real world. Assassin's Creed is the one game I am to this day surprised spawned a sequel. The gameplay was obnoxious and repetitive, and the story was ok at best. While I've heard the 2 series was better, and in what I played of 4 I enjoyed the sailing sections, but Assassin's Creed 1 has kinda tainted the series in my mind.
See above.

AC1 is utter nonsense.
Ignore it. Forget it.

AC2 onward are COMPLETELY different, in much the same way that Batman is COMPLETELY different from a caveman.

I'm completely surprised Assassin's Creed got a sequel too, but god damn am I glad it did. AC2 is genuinely one of my favorite games.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Ieyke said:
CaitSeith said:
Well, I haven't finished Assassin's Creed because I found it kinda boring.
Skip Assassin's Creed 1.
It's not a game, just a pretty looking game world they didn't have the time/money to put a real game into.

Play Assassin's Creed 2(followed by Brotherhood) and AC4:Black Flag.
They're roughly a 100,000% improvement over the original Assassin's Creed.

Unrefined controls aside, AC2 is STILL the absolute best in the series, and kind of a masterpiece.
JonTron would disagree with you. But I digress. I'll give it a try once I'm done with the Mass Effect trilogy.

EDIT: Correction, JonTron no longer agrees with his own disagreement. Sorry.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Dishonored, Fallout, Minecraft, pfft. Ya'll are spoiled. One Christmas or Birthday I got Wall Street Kid as a present. It's a stock trading simulator that was made for the NES.

There's no way anything in this thread could top that for bore factor.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
bluepotatosack said:
Dishonored, Fallout, Minecraft, pfft. Ya'll are spoiled. One Christmas or Birthday I got Wall Street Kid as a present. It's a stock trading simulator that was made for the NES.

There's no way anything in this thread could top that for bore factor.
I got you beat:

"Apollo 18".

This game simulated a mission to the Moon in EVERY DETAIL. Does that sound exciting?

Well, it shouldn't.

The game has a 200+ page manual, which included how to operate every system in the space module. It required you to study said manual and take an in-game written exam. If you pass that exam, you can then step into the in-game mission simulator. If you pass your simulator exams, THEN you can actually play the damn game and the actual Moon mission.

Needless to say, I never made it that far.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I'd say the original incarnation of Final Fantasy 14, but I honestly didn't play that enough for it to have a major impact on me.

Probably one of the few F2P MMO's I played for a while.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
It's a toss between the;

* X games - they are all boring space trucker sims best played by automating the trucking and leaving your computer on overnight whilst you sleep.
* Katawa Shoujo - a slice of life story with a fundamental lack of intrigue or reason to stay invested after reading through the twenty minutes of long conversations about student councils.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
I unfortunately received a copy of E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial for Christmas when I as a child. Nothing has topped that since.

20dollars

Feb 25, 2015
Ys 1 is one of the most uninteresting games i've played in recent years. The game's combat is literally running into things until they die.

Mykal Stype

Dec 24, 2012
I can't remember what the most boring game I played was, because it was so boring. It was open world, and I played for quite a while, but once as I turned the game off, I had no desire to try again. I can't tell you any defining features to guess what it was, because I forget them. Open world games tend to bore me much easier than any others.
the most boring game I played that I actually remember is The Witcher. It started out good, but then I just ended up thinking to myself "yeah yeah yeah, the world is morally grey. Blah blah blah. Oh look, another morally grey character. I'm not clicking on any more monsters just so I can figure out if I vaguely like this guy or vaguely hate this guy."

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
maninahat said:
It's a toss between the;

* X games - they are all boring space trucker sims best played by automating the trucking and leaving your computer on overnight whilst you sleep.
* Katawa Shoujo - a slice of life story with a fundamental lack of intrigue or reason to stay invested after reading through the twenty minutes of long conversations about student councils.
Katawa Shoujo isn't a game. It's a novel. I mean this in all seriousness. One of my pet peeves is people treating visual novels as "games" when there is nothing "game-like" about them. They're closer to the choose your own adventure novels I used to read as a kid.

Also, Hanako Best Girl.
If you want an actual game, try Katawa Crash [http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3071].

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Iwata said:
I got you beat:

"Apollo 18".

This game simulated a mission to the Moon in EVERY DETAIL. Does that sound exciting?

Well, it shouldn't.

The game has a 200+ page manual, which included how to operate every system in the space module. It required you to study said manual and take an in-game written exam. If you pass that exam, you can then step into the in-game mission simulator. If you pass your simulator exams, THEN you can actually play the damn game and the actual Moon mission.

Needless to say, I never made it that far.
Now this is more like it! Anyone else got more stuff like this?

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
Ring of Red on the Playstation 2.

I utterly loved the concept of this game, the visual style.. etc. but the game played so utterly slowly...

Ridash

Jan 29, 2015
Silentpony said:
I know I won't make too many friends with this, but Team Fortress 2. After the first match all the luster and intrigue was gone. I can't imagine people who played the same mission type on the exact same three or fours maps hundreds of times over.
After over 500 hours, I can't make my self play it.

moostar

Nov 26, 2010
I tried to liked red fraction 1 when it became on sale though steam. But playing though it, all i got was a buggy, boring and broken mess of a game.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Jake Martinez said:
maninahat said:
It's a toss between the;

Katawa Shoujo isn't a game. It's a novel. I mean this in all seriousness. One of my pet peeves is people treating visual novels as "games" when there is nothing "game-like" about them. They're closer to the choose your own adventure novels I used to read as a kid.
Not sure it is helpful to worry about strict definitions and categories for these things. People spend forever and a day arguing about whether Portal counts as an FPS, when it doesn't really matter at all. Visual novels are gamey, in terms of the way the ask for you to interact, which is something novel novels don't really do - at the same time, I would call a choose your own adventure book a "novel" rather than a game. These categories just exist to conveniently label a thing so that people have a common language or reference point - if the category can't easily do that, it isn't helping to stick strictly to them.