whats the most pointless holiday?

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Anything outside birthdays really, I like the time off but thats about it, appart from secular chocolate egg consumption day (trademark) that rocks.

Mozillo

Apr 22, 2009
I think it is the big holidays that have no point... well, anymore... Those being Easter and Christmas. The funny thing with Easter was this year they were trying to make it more enviromentally friendly by using less plastic... a way of being more enviromentally friendly would be to not have a holiday now completely dedicated to giving others chocolate eggs wrapped in foil, then plastic then cardboard...

SqueeFactor

Mar 29, 2008
Holy Christmas, lonan. first off, global warming is a LIE, you would know that if you looked into it more than al gore's propaganda and cnn. (and dont tell me how much you research it) if we're gonna point the finger somewhere, how about china and india who are setting up coal burning plants like they're going out of style. second, how did i come off as some racist bigot who says no one mattered but the white man? i'll wrap this up quickly- you're right, i hate primitive thinking, since every simpleton in this nation seems to think how the tv and movies tell them too. spoon fed knowledge. and yeah, i hate PeTA card-carrying liberals and people who b*tch about how screwed up the nation is but won't do anything to change it outside of painting on a picket sign and protesting, the most idiotic first and final resort to whatever they want to legalize next, be it weed or abortion or whatever. 'you wanna feel like an activist? stand in the street and yell at the cops while the world laughs at your attempt to look brave.'
i also wonder how long it took you to write that little rant of yours to me, because this took me three minutes. as you see i deal with the crap people give me for my opinion A LOT.

i also hate valentines day

ReZerO

Mar 2, 2009
Here in Alberta, Canada we have a day called family day..... it's a day off you get to do stuff with your family...do some people really need a day to do this????? i mean shouldn't that be almost every day?

dwightsteel

Feb 7, 2007
sneakypenguin said:
dwightsteel said:
sneakypenguin said:
MLK, really I understand he as important and all that but honestly why does he get his own day(national holiday) when others who did just as much(if not more) get nadda.
Oh, this is gonna be fun. And who are you referring too that has done more but doesn't have their own holiday?
Lets see there are great founders of this nation that could deserve it, some scientist, some generals.(as far as sheer accomplishment)

As for civil rights leaders, why not a day for some of the people who started the inroads to progress in civil rights. Yes MLK was a leader, but just because he was killed and gave a (IMO generic) speech doesn't imho deserve a federal holiday.
mmmm...see what you did there? Thats called a deflection. It's a way for you to answer my question without answering my question. I asked who you thought was more deserving of a holiday than Martin Luther King, and you named nobody aside from "the great founders of our nation" (Independence Day, Presidents Day), "some scientist" (....) and some Generals (Veterans Day, Memorial Day). Now, who specifically deserves a holiday more so than Martin Luther King, who was the youngest person at the time to ever win a Nobel Peace Prize, who helped lead things like Montgomery Bus Boycott, one of the several famous campaigns for civil disobedience and was the most influential figure in the million man march?

SqueeFactor

Mar 29, 2008
mayhaps. but i do think earth is warming naturally, with a little help from us and our emissions. also, ice cores from... the north pole? one of the poles, show that earth was warmer by several degrees thousands of years ago, after a fall in temperature. its just an up and down cycle. im not saying we're not contributing, but its not on a massive scale like a lot of people would have you believe. i'd worry more about codex alimentarius going into effect at the end of this year.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Columbus day.
No one does anything for it except the kids who go home from school.
Nmil-ek said:
Anything outside birthdays really, I like the time off but thats about it, appart from secular chocolate egg consumption day (trademark) that rocks.
Lol, same here.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
xChevelle24 said:
I don't have a list of holidays next to me so I'll just generalize holidays that I would hate in general.

Hippy day (earth day)
Valentines day (my most hated)
Halloween (Why do we celebrate it, again?)
any holiday that deals with being vegetarian
Hippy day: Yes it's kinda stupid, if you do want to help earth mind it EVERY day, otherwise it's just a stupid thing..
Valentines day: Someone unlucky with the girls? (why would you hate it otherwise..)
Halloween: It's a leftover from barbarian stuff, at halloween evening you could speak with your ancestors or something.
What's wrong with vegetarianism? If someone doesn't want to eat meat let them be.. We don't hate people for being antisocial either do we?

Ceil-Sama

Oct 29, 2008
Every holiday is pointless, as most tend to do with some stupid religion. The ones that celebrate historic events can be weird as well. The only ones that aren't pointless are Rememberance day, though one should remember those past every day, not just on Nov. 11. and....uh....Pie day... >_>'

ZakCanard

Anas Charisma
Oct 17, 2007
Michaelmas. So pointless it's been more or less forgotten that 29 September is a holiday.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
headshotcatcher said:
What's wrong with vegetarianism? If someone doesn't want to eat meat let them be.. We don't hate people for being antisocial either do we?
They shouldn't have holidays though.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
crazywaffles said:
I have a fancy rat. Her name is Boo.
Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!

Anyway, for most pointless holiday, I have to say Hallowe'en. It had a point at first, but now it's purely commercial and serves as nothing more than an excuse for kids to get free chocolate.

The_Angry_Haruhist

Apr 16, 2009
Valentine's day: because it reminds me what a pathetic, lonely nerd I am.
Halloween is fairly pointless, but hella fun, so I'll let it slide.
Groundhog day: seriously, why the hell are we celebrating a rodent popping out of the ground?
Earth Day: created by hippies. Self-explainitory.

restoshammyman

Jan 5, 2009
Ceil-Sama said:
Every holiday is pointless, as most tend to do with some stupid religion. The ones that celebrate historic events can be weird as well. The only ones that aren't pointless are Rememberance day, though one should remember those past every day, not just on Nov. 11. and....uh....Pie day... >_>'
its not nice to call religions stupid.
that being said, i disagree with pretty much any religion.
and there for will agree that i don't like holidays like that,
but historic events are good. too bad that they only exist for newer historical events.

any way.
most pointless... gotta be something like.... well pi day is a good contender. a day for an endless number? why?

but the winner is.
the day the UN was created, its not a holiday but there is nothing more pointless then the UN.

xChevelle24

Mar 10, 2009
headshotcatcher said:
xChevelle24 said:
I don't have a list of holidays next to me so I'll just generalize holidays that I would hate in general.

Hippy day (earth day)
Hippy day: Yes it's kinda stupid, if you do want to help earth mind it EVERY day, otherwise it's just a stupid thing..
Valentines day: Someone unlucky with the girls? (why would you hate it otherwise..)
Halloween: It's a leftover from barbarian stuff, at halloween evening you could speak with your ancestors or something.
1) Agreed.
2) No, I just don't see the point in Valentines day. I think girls find it more special if you get them roses, etc. on any day BUT Valentines day (ladies, can you back me up?)
3) Ahh, gotcha. I mean I know that in Mexico it's celebrating the day of the dead, but here it's just like yay free candy!
4) Nothing is wrong with it, but if there is a national holiday comemorating (sp?) someone being vegetarian, I would just find that to be utterly ridiculous.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Gormourn said:
"Hippy day"? Really? What the fuck?

Also, every holiday that lets you not go to work/school is great. Screw the whole ideas behind holidays, as long as you get a free day, it's great.
here here

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
xChevelle24 said:
headshotcatcher said:
xChevelle24 said:

Hippy day (earth day)
1) Agreed.
2) No, I just don't see the point in Valentines day. I think girls find it more special if you get them roses, etc. on any day BUT Valentines day (ladies, can you back me up?)
3) Ahh, gotcha. I mean I know that in Mexico it's celebrating the day of the dead, but here it's just like yay free candy!
4) Nothing is wrong with it, but if there is a national holiday comemorating (sp?) someone being vegetarian, I would just find that to be utterly ridiculous.
1) disagree. people are lazy and the only time they do anything helpful is if it makes them feel important so making a big deal of recycling is (sadly) the only way many people hlp the environment.
2)Singles awarness day=fail
3)only day where we can scare the shit out of everbody and not get sued. So im all for it. Besides, why shouldnt I be able to talk to my ancestors?
4)Vegetarians are hipocrites. They still eat plants(which are alive) the only difference is that they may or may not have certain chemicals(emotion). Seriously, rip some bark of a tree and look at the inside. then look at the next steak you eat. Its really quite similar. But if the veggie guys get a holiday then us carnivors should get one to neh?

I think the most pointless holidays are as follows
1)Christmas- worshipping a guy who died over 2000 years ago=dumb, or the fact that children are led to believe satan will leave them presents under a tree they murdered...did I say satan? I meant santa.
2)Easters- really? a bunny that lays chocolate eggs? could there be a more retarded holiday?...oh wait
3)International Talk like a Pirate day!-I dont like this mainly because I can't seem to talk like a pirate properly.
4)Birthdays- this concept is flawed. You only ever have one birth day. Just like you only ever have one death day...usually....
5) I recently read online that there is a religion that worshipps shiva, the goddess of destruction(i think its a muslim branch)and every year they climb a mountain(a big cold mountain) on their stomachs.-_-....Y? So the goddess of destruction doesn't make their lives miserable.(0_o!)