What's with "Iron Sights" in today's games?

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Iron sights and down the barrel aiming is cool in my opinion. especially on guns in fallout: NV such as the .44 magnum.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
mParadox said:
If VALVe puts in iron sights in the next Half Life(whenever it comes out, if ever) I will be a very unhappy little boy.

Bioshock also had mercy on us and killed ironsights.
BioShock has iron sights, but Irrational did their best to hide it. Only discovered it late in my second or third playthrough.

Oh, and the more developers that implement iron-sights the better. Hate hip-firing unless we're talking Valve or UT, which incidently are the only big games that's still using hip-fire in FPS.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
I don't have a problem with em'.

They're stupid and annoying sometimes, but for the most part, I like them. Sure they're not real guns, but they're not supposed to be. They're usually modeled off of real guns, but they're, again, not supposed to be the real gun.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
I don't mind Iron Sights at all. They work well in some games, BFBC/BC2 and the CoD's are the obvious examples.

Fallout: New Vegas's are just shit though. Utter shit.
For one, most of the guns I have at the moment don't have clear iron sights.
The .357 Magnum doesn't at all. Just the top of the fucking revolver chamber.
Another thing is that they seem to stutter about, a minor yet annoying thing.
The thing that annoys me most is that the shots don't follow the sights.

In CoD, BFBC and other games, the sights usually have a little point that signifies where exactly the bullets will end up. In F:NV, they don't.
So the rare occasions where the guns show you clearly where you should be aiming, they don't land where you expect them to.

Give us an option to have Fallout 3-style aiming, please, Obsidian...

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
I like iron sights, but I played them in Metal Gear Solid games, where you have time to aim from your stealthy point of view. I got pretty kickass with the irons in MGS3 -- even though I think you can use a laser sight in MGS4, I do it there also. Baaaaaah. Iron sights are realistic.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here. Are you saying there shouldn't be Iron sights at all?

Or are you saying there should be a Resistance 2 style feature where the crosshairs are still visible when you aim down sights?

Iron Sights in BC 2 are not laser accurate like COD by the way.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Captain Pirate said:
Give us an option to have Fallout 3-style aiming, please, Obsidian...
There is an option that gives you a different zoom. It isn't like Fallout 3, but it lowers the gun on your screen when you aim, so that your aiming reticule is about an inch above the weapon giving you a larger field of view. Try it, you might prefer it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Okay, talking of the New Vegas line of iron sights...some are good, some are kind of crappy. Your mileage may vary on this, but I have indeed made good use of a number of them, especially sniping. Oh, I love sniping. So many dead Deathclaws and Lakelurks because of my good 'ole shootin' rifle. I'm like a fat cat among mice. Meow!

conzan

Apr 16, 2010
ok lets get this straight iron sights is the one thing that's good about modern FPS's
you would aim down a gun like that why wouldn't you, its nothing to do with realism (well i guess it kinda is) its better then just walking round with a gun by your side being able to hit everything.

also if you had a gun wouldn't you really look down the sight i mean come on.
i support the iron sight and i am proud of it.

BTW is there nothing about modern FPS's people wont complain about

conzan

Apr 16, 2010
seagoon said:
personally i think all games should have ironsights
i know its not what you meant but how would that work for racing games, and any other game that isn't a FPS/shooter game

crazypsyko666

I AM A GOD
Apr 8, 2010
As someone who shoots fairly regularly, I can tell you how essential these things are to firing accurately. Iron sights probably work better in more slowly paced games, like cover-based games and the like. FO3 aiming is basically a minor telescopic zoom, which in real life, would only show you how bad you're doing by aiming from the hip. I like them. I like all of the variation. It adds another level of depth to the combat. I played Counter Strike for years and years, and I always wondered 'why can't I just aim down my sights and be more accurate'? Hip shooting just means you'll spray bullets everywhere, whereas aiming down your sights gives you a bearing on where the bullet will go, and you will be supporting the brunt of the kick with your shoulder.

Trust me, it's kind of important.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
thirion1850 said:
It's a Call of Duty thing. I guess they wanna imply that with sights your aim isn't as crap as without them which is true in -some- cases, but in the end merely makes me want to punch the developer and force them to play some Counter Strike. Games are meant to be -fun-. And if realism makes it -less- fun, then realism needs to go.
Games shouldn't try to be fun, they should try to be compelling, which can include being fun, but isn't necessarily constrained to it. Nobody found Schindler's List 'fun', but it's a phenomenal example of its medium anyway.

There's nothing wrong with games being just fun, but they are capable of so much more than that.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
I actually do like iron sights but BC2 had the misfortune of making almost every iron sight in the game utter garbage other than a select few. It is really hard to see down some of them which gets annoying.

Eijarel

Jul 13, 2010
I always thought it was a fad, if i remember correctly the first time i saw the iron-sights was one Medal of Honor pacific assault, this was the game (much like all the previous installments)that had a air-cross system, so the iron sight was placed more like a novelty feature, allowing you zoom in and aim on the WW2 period weaponry like the "real vets" did.

Elemental

Apr 4, 2009
mParadox said:
If VALVe puts in iron sights in the next Half Life(whenever it comes out, if ever) I will be a very unhappy little boy.

Bioshock also had mercy on us and killed ironsights.
Bioshock actually HAS an iron sight function..
No one ever used it though.

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
Silly children think looking down the iron-sights of a gun is realistic. Lmao.

Try running with a rifle one time and firing. Or moving while looking down a ironsight. IMPOSSIBLE unless you have gyro stabilized arms. Iron sights and full auto is also impossible. unless you have a machinegun with dipod to rest it on.

Bring back crosshairs, don't mind the weapon showing in the courner.

Quake, Unreal, etc will always be my favs in FPS just because they don't cave into that pop gameculture kind of crap.