when the hell is half life episode 3 coming out?

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I think people need to be fucking patient. It's not like they keep on announcing and playing the game. It's not like they are constantly teasing you with glimpses of it. It's not like every Valve employee is sitting around making paper airplanes out of their piles of money. The game is taking a long time because they are putting a lot of work into it. Being the end to the episodic trilogy and perhaps even the franchise, it makes sense that Valve wants to make sure it is as good as possible. Otherwise people would be complaining that it didn't live up to their expectations. Christ, I am so sick of this pointless whining about Episode 3. It's like people can't entertain themselves with the hundreds of other games out on the market.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Frankly, I do not care anymore.

I'm plenty patient, it's just for the simple fact that Half-Life 2 came out 6 years ago. It is way off my radar for me to be paying attention to "episodes" which for all intents and purposes, should be downloadable content or quick expansions. Not multi-year delayed projects, especially considering Valve's reputation.

Is there even going to be new tech? Same engine..?

Seriously, I know Half-Life 2 was great and all, but I have to draw the line at 6 years for an "episode pack". I might play it, I might not, but I certainly haven't been waiting for it, or looking forward to it for that matter.

When Episode 2 came out, that was considered extremely delayed and well past the fashionably late mark. Now it's Episode 3.. ? Jesus people.. lol.

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
I wouldn't be too surprised if this is all part of Valve's plan to crash steam by announcing HL2E3's release about a week before it hits the shelves.

radio1314

Sep 24, 2009
I think Valve spent to much money on hats for TF2. Or they are trying to make more zombies for the Left 4 dead series.

Johnny Cain

Apr 18, 2010
It's coming out when it's done. Seriously, just leave it at that and quietly wait for it.
Remember, Half-Life 2 was unanimously received as the 'best game of all time'. Think Valve is coping well with the pressure of adding to it?
It must be perfect or it will die, do not rush perfection for you will welcome disappointment unto yourself.

Solstrana91

Sep 4, 2004
emily123 said:
lord death jr said:
seriously Valve

the codes may have been stolen or something
post what you think happened
remeber rome wasnt built in a day it was built in a month by two guys who were abandonned then found and raised by wolves.........where was i going with this
Maybe Episode 3 is being made by wolves? Thus the reason why its taking awhile.m Or maybe im crazy.

However, im sure we'll get it 2012, and it shall be so good, the apocolypse shall come.

There will also be no doubt that people will attempt some huge boycott because it took forever.

GuideBot

Feb 25, 2010
How long is it before we see half life 3? Could they just be waiting for that? I enjoy their games but I'm no follower, so I'm merely pointing out the possibility; I know nothing of Valves plans or recent acts.

lord death jr

May 31, 2010
i forgot that
thanks
now i can relax and think about ways to punish my steam for being dodgy
Team Fortress 2 took nine years to come out

Snarky Username

Elite Member
Apr 4, 2010
Cain_Zeros said:
What happened? Well, one of the main voice actors died, that's what happened. I'd like to see you not have development slow to a crawl after that.
If you're talking about Dr Breen, I'm pretty sure he died in HL2...

If you're talking about Gordon Freeman, I'm sure Valve can find some way to replace the voice actor.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Hazy said:
I think Valve have secretly been spending the budget on scooters for the staff, so that they may zip about the office at a semi-rapid rate.

A shot in the dark? Very much so. However, if it does happen to be true, I totally called it.
I'd put money on that.

OT: A game takes time to make. Granted, this is a rather long time compared to most recent games, but I'm sure Valve has their reasons. Be patient please. It's not like it is the only game that will be released in the future.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Cain_Zeros said:
What happened? Well, one of the main voice actors died, that's what happened. I'd like to see you not have development slow to a crawl after that.
The voice actor who died played Breen. A character that has been dead for 2 games already. The last we saw of him was in Half Life 2:Episode 1 and it was a recording from the end of Half Life 2. He is Dead and I don't think we'll be seeing him again.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
They're not going to release any real info- trailers, screenshots, etc- until the game is near completion. Details of the last couple of games were given while it was in production, and by the time the final product came out, it had radically changed. They're not doing it this time.

Plus, Portal 2 probably tied things up a bit. Personally, I will not be surprised if there is an Ep3 trailer at the end of Portal 2.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
LordCuthberton said:
I think people should stop rushing them and wait for the finished product instead of a half-done game.

Just saying.
That's assuming that they're doing any work on it at the moment. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if they've done nothing - nothing - at all on the game, instead focusing on the latest crappy L4D DLC.

Don't get me wrong I love Valve, but seriously, enough Left 4 Dead junk. I'll take anything else (Portal, HL2, CS, TF2, whatever) over more L4D. But that's me.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
...Did you even try looking for information?

OT: Valve makes maybe one game a year, and this year they're working on Portal 2, and promised it for the holiday season of 2010. Knowing Valve, it'll be finished by the late winter/early spring of 2011, and even if they do decide to work on Half Life 2 Episode 3 by then it'll be out by around the summer of 2012.

So don't get your hopes up soon.

black orchid1

Dec 15, 2009
short anwser? never......its just another scam so they can sell you games till you stop buying them then release the thing they promised in the first place then it will probably be the same game as the original

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
LordCuthberton said:
Thunderhorse31 said:
LordCuthberton said:
I think people should stop rushing them and wait for the finished product instead of a half-done game.

Just saying.
That's assuming that they're doing any work on it at the moment. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if they've done nothing - nothing - at all on the game, instead focusing on the latest crappy L4D DLC.
Don't choke on tears about it.

Just wait before you start complaining about it.
Oh I'm definitely not crying or even complaining about it, if it comes out in 2015 then so be it - I just find the idea amusing. As if Valve employees are sitting around saying "Oh really? There's an interest in Episode 3? We had no idea, otherwise we might have spent a minute or two in the last 4 years doing something about it..."

Enough good games come out at a decent clip to where I don't need to piss about one in particular.