When was the last time you cried and/or teared up during a video game?

Cameoflage

Feb 5, 2008
I'm a rather unemotional person (partly by nature and partly because I have something of a hangup about showing weakness); it takes a seriously heavy-duty punch in the proverbial gut to even make me tear up, and I don't think I've ever actually started crying over anything in a work of fiction.

That said, the incineration of the Weighted Companion Cube in Portal had me making quite the :( face. (However, I knew it was coming, so the emotional impact may well have been lessened; that's the only spoiler I've seen for years that actually managed to negatively affect my enjoyment of a work.)

MRMIdAS2k

Apr 23, 2008
***GTA4 SPOILERS AHOY!***
Kate dying.

YES I expected it, but it still felt really shitty for him to have found someone, only for it to be snatched away.

May 12, 2008
I was playing Call of Duty 4, after getting an almost perfect round of 45-2, thinking i'd made it big.

The next round I got pwned in the face and was at 0-5, so I smashed my xbox controller, mashed the front of my console until the disc fell out, wildly scrambled over to my cutlery drawer, pulled out a steak knife and scratched various words jesus doesn't like into it, then threw it out of my 8th story window.

I wasn't crying though, I was laughing maniacally.
(I took back a bunch of crappy Wii games and bought it again a month later)

aquana

May 12, 2008
Hoo boy. I cried when FF7 was over, I cried when FF8 was over, then... um. FF9. FF10. Pretty much all the FF games I have played. =| Then again, I cry at the drop of a hat.

zma924

Feb 27, 2008
games that made me tear up

1.COD4 (at the end)
2.Halo 3
3.Kameo
4.(didnt make me tear up, but depressed me) Gears of War
5.COD4 (when i got my RROD)

MK-Smash

Mar 18, 2008
At many times while playing .hack//G.U.
Namely when Atoli went crazy because she was so alone.
She tried to kill Haseo.
Or with all of the inside jokes and sexual innuendos that make me laugh till i cry.

Aeris dieng.
OMG.
Balled.

aquana

May 12, 2008
You know, sometimes I wonder if I was the only one who was glad that Aerith was finally out of the picture... /off

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
The openings to CoD, CoD: UO, CoD2, and CoD4 really affected me, but not to tears.

I almost cried at HL2 Ep2's ending. Almost at the first Hunter sighting, too, but it was so quick! :D

VRaptorX

Mar 6, 2008
aquana said:
You know, sometimes I wonder if I was the only one who was glad that Aerith was finally out of the picture... /off
hate to burst your bubble but she kind of still in the picture....a lot.

Though no, you arn't alone. Most people hate the "perfect healer/innocent girl" type. She was a Mary Sue...not the "OMG shut the heck up Kagome" Mary Sue but still a Mary Sue none the less. Somewhere around Misane Amaha's (Witchblade) level of Marysueness. She actually had a plot and character flaws growth, etc.

LV Solace

May 8, 2008
mostrescent is when I replayed chrono trigger. Schala's death gets to me every time. she's a minor character, she never joins your party, but It's just the way Janus reacts when she gets sucked in. it's just damn.

Other times would be, end of FFX, the first time I played throung chrono cross i think it was when kid was in the room where you fight fate after the battle, and thats all there was.

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
MRMIdAS2k said:
Kate dying.

YES I expected it, but it still felt really shitty for him to have found someone, only for it to be snatched away.
You piece of s**t (irony and exaggeration). I read that before I knew what I was doing and now it's spoiled. And I LIKED here. I would have liked to have felt that emotional hammer blow.
Can people please use proper spoiler tags just so it's a bit more obvious?

Melty Blood

Dec 22, 2007
I suppose Tsukihime still counts, as it is still *Technically* a game, but with all the gameplay replaced with story.

This entire post is pretty much a spoiler, but unless you decide to import Tsukihime and get the translation patch, you probably won't matter.

After confronting Kohaku about plotting the murder of SHIKI and Ahika, You listen to Kohaku emotionlessly (With a soft smile, and even laughing casually at it) recount her childhood, where she was raped daily, and her decision to destroy her emotions and live out a doll's existence in order to cope. She then commits suicide right in front of you.

Yeah, you'd have to be some sort of monster not to tear up at that.

MRMIdAS2k

Apr 23, 2008
Saskwach said:
MRMIdAS2k said:
Kate dying.

You piece of s**t (irony and exaggeration). I read that before I knew what I was doing and now it's spoiled. And I LIKED here. I would have liked to have felt that emotional hammer blow.
Can people please use proper spoiler tags just so it's a bit more obvious?
SPOILERS TO QUOTED CONVO
Well she only dies if you do the wrong thing.

I didn't know we HAD spoiler tags here.

Sorry dude.

Sparkly Weasel

May 8, 2008
Seeing what really happened to Angel in Heart of the Tiger... pissed me off. Slight tearing, but no crying.

Gooble

May 9, 2008
Not fe quite teary, but more a sense of depression pre-credits of Halo 3. When I played through the first time, I accidently skipped the credits, so didn't find out the true ending. I then realised that surely they can't have killed MC, then couldnt complete the final mission again! Eventually did it, and was very pleased with the outcome.

Also, in Mass Effect, was kind of shocked when Wrex died because of my actions-even though it's just a game, you still kind of feel like you've killed someone.

AngryMan

Mar 26, 2008
Surggical_Scar said:
Most emotional moment?

The Darkness, when Jenny takes a bullet right in front of you.

I practically dropped the controller, my hands were shaking so much, both out of sadness and sheer rage. That fat motherf*cker was gonna die.

Slow.
This. It was especially poignant for me because I did sit through the whole "on the couch" scene with Jenny earlier in the game too.

Thing is, I didn't cry. Games just have never quite managed to evoke that response in me - but I did feel a sense of numb shock. I was like "innocent people do not die in games" and then *BLAM!*.

Totally sympathized with Jackie's reaction. And when the Darkness hauled him back out of his own private hell, I was right there with him in swearing that those bastards would fucking pay.

About the only consolation is that you just know that she went to the Good Place.

Phantom6

Dec 31, 2007
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, when Volke tells you about *HUGE SPOILER WARNING*

Greil killing Elena.

I felt so much genuine pity for both of them I cried over it.

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
the early parts of Lost Odyssey so far is the only game to acctually make me shead tears of sorrow because it was so sad. the first 'meomory' you have in the game... my god that story was so epicly depressing nearly put me to tears, that poor little girl. and then Lirum like at the end of the first disk i think... oh my god could you have any more of a depressing moment?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I must concur, the whole Lirum thing at the end of disc 1 of Lost Odyssey mae me tear up like mad, as did several of the Thousand Years of Dreams segments.

Other than that, Aeris death (cliche now, but when I first played that game, at age 13? That was pretty impacting) really got to me way back when. The ending to FFX makes me get all misty eyed.

Suikoden V had me sad for a good portion of the game but specifically at the ending, both the good and the bad one.

Shadow Hearts 2: Covenant, both the scene with Alice earlier in the game and the Ending made me quite teary eyed.

Suikoden 2: Made my cry at several points in the game.

Oh yes and most recently...

The major revelation at the begining of Persona 3: FES made me cry because I only beat the game the month before.