Which games do you think have limitless playability?

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Single player for recent consoles will be ME:1/2 and DA:O for all the reasons stated by everyone else.

Honorable mention goes to Spyro the Dragon, it only takes 4 hours to complete but once in a while I like to say screw everything and spend the afternoon reliving a significant chunk of my childhood.

Multiplayer would have gone to TF2 had I not quit 2 years ago. It also would have gone to COD4 and COD:WAW had they not been hacked to hell.

So multiplayer will go to L4D with a future prize to Minecraft. I've only just got into it and I haven't tried the mulitiplayer yet, but going by the fun I'm having in singleplayer alone this will be the distraction that fails my degree.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Minecraft, since you will only feel really bored when you have a diamond ten story house with a gold dick statue on the front garden.

CoD, because you always have that one stat that needs boosting or that one camo you haven't unlocked. I'm pretty sure that if you wanted to get to 10th prestige, with all gold camos and every title unlocked in MW3 it would take you at least a full year of playtime.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Crash Bandicoot 3 and the Spyro trilogy. No matter how many times I've replayed them I still get the jitters and have to go through each one a minimum of once a year, either at separate times or just back-to-back. People keep telling me it's just nostalgia, they were some of the first games I ever owned, but I still genuinely think they hold up even now. I think they've claimed more of my life than Elder Scrolls and Call of Duty put together.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
I've never stayed a game without taking a break from it for more than 6 months, and that was World of Warcraft. I always have to have new games eventually, i have a wierd habit of playing games for only 10 hours before i put it off in my mind...

The closest would have to be Garry's Mod, with 850 hours played on it.

starkiller212

Dec 23, 2010
Rome: Total War (especially SPQR mod, which I'm convinced would take infinite time and craziness to conquer completely)

Mount & Blade: Warband & Sid Meier's Pirates! (combat never gets old, and there's so much to do)

Galactic Civilizations II & Civilization IV (randomly generated maps FTW)

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (somehow, slaughtering entire cities in that game still outlasts anything I've done in Skyrim)

Race Driver GRID (driving backwards into ALL THE CARS never, ever gets old)

Starcraft II & Modern Warfare # (perfect multiplayer)

The Sims # (for obvious reasons)

and finally,
Spore (this game would literally require multiple lifetimes to see everything, and even then you could just play again and explore an entirely new galaxy)

JayDub147

Jun 13, 2009
Deus Ex:
the best tactical shooter/rpg/brawler/stealth game I've ever played. There's just so many ways to approach every mission and so many choices to make (during which it doesn't judge you with anything like a good/evil meter; you choose what the right choice is), I've yet to get bored on 8+ 16-hour playthroughs. It's graphics (and voice-acting) might be antiquated, but its gameplay seems still so far ahead of anything else.

But if you still manage to get bored of that, there's always Super Mario 64; that game never gets old.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Minecraft

Seriously Minecraft unless you really really really are free to build everything yourself then you are limited by what the game has to offer. Guess what Minecraft allows you to make whatever you desire..

=Frost=

Oct 6, 2011
Oblivion and so far Skyrim. I have a feeling Skyrim will have a tough time wearing off on me.

As for shooters, almost all the Bad Company will hold my title as best online FPS.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
I found Devil May Cry 3 kept me going untill I had to leave it behind to go to uni. I still play it when I feel like some epic hack and slash action and I happen to be home for some holiday or other.

Senor Coolguy

Oct 9, 2011
For me, I've been playing this fun Flash game called "The Enchanted Cave." I just can't get enough of crawling through a dungeon, picking up magical gems, and killing monsters.

asco

Feb 13, 2010
While I have enjoyed games like Mass Effect, Skyrim, Portal and the like a great deal, I could never imagine spending countless hours on them. I will probably want to finish the Mass Effect games again at some point, but that's nothing compared to games like:

FIFA.
It's not just one game so perhaps it doesn't count, but the gameplay is essentially the same in all of them. That's not the same as me saying they release the same game every year, because that's flat out wrong, it has improved tremendously year on year as long as I can remember.
It's just that these games never become boring to me.

Diablo II: The Lord of Destruction
This is the best game ever made in my opinion. I don't know why it's as much fun as it is but in the last ten years I have just always come back to this game. I don't play it online anymore, but whenever I start it up I just have a blast playing it.

Then there's the addictive games, like any MMORPG. I clocked over 100 days on my main in Anarchy Online, but that is just different because these games are designed for you to never run out of things to do. With the above two it's that the core gameplay just never got old.

I got reminded of two others reading this thread: Raptor, and Heroes 3. While I haven't played them nearly as much as the others, these are also games I just feel like playing once in a while.

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
Red Dead Redemption. I can replay that game an infinite number of times, and since I have all of the DLC, it's even better.

Also, Skyrim, for obvious reasons.

Fallout 3 also would have been a keeper, if it hadn't corrupted my save file one too many times.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Well certainly the big four Bethesda games (Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout NV...I would assume Morrowind also qualifies, but I've never really played it.)

Mass Effect 2 and Final Fantasy XII are games I've put a TON of hours into, and I'm someone who doesn't really replay games all that much. I would also say that most of the regular Super Mario Bros games and the Ratchet and Clank games are games I could sit down and replay at any time and they'll still be as fun as they were the first time.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
X3:Terran Conflict, you can literally play it forever and build the whole universe full of your stations.

Encentrik

Nov 11, 2011
dvd_72 said:
I found Devil May Cry 3 kept me going untill I had to leave it behind to go to uni. I still play it when I feel like some epic hack and slash action and I happen to be home for some holiday or other.
I don't have Devil May Cry 3 anymore, otherwise I'd put that on my list, seeing as it's my third favorite game of all time. I bought it back when it came out in 2005 and I've been a huge fan ever since.

Xeldrak

Feb 8, 2011
Well, the only Game I know, that if been playing for years...and I don't mean 3 or 4 years, but about 18 years is:

"X-COM: UFO Defense" aka "X-Com: Enemy Unknown" aka "UFO: Enemy Unknown"

Just bought it a few months ago on steam (I think its the third time i bought this game).
I think 18 years count as "eternity" in the world of games...

Volturism

Aug 26, 2011
Now, I have never actually played Minecraft, but I can see why one could find an almost infinite interest in playing it, since the game is essentially based on the player?s imagination of creativity, and since the imagination itself is to some extent boundless, the game could be likewise regarded as such.

Then there are other factors, of course, which would perhaps make a player sick of it: the Lego-stylized aesthetic, the graphics, the single-tracked set-up of the thing, and so on. But my vote would probably be on Minecraft, though I?ve only read about it and seen a video review.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Single player:

Skyrim

Monster Rancher

Multiplayer:

hahahahahahahahahaha

limitless playability?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA